Hippodrome Theatre

12 N. Eutaw Street,
Baltimore, MD 21201

wadaguy
wadaguy on February 25, 2004 at 11:00 am

I recently attended performance of The Producers and was delighted to see the tremendous transformation occurring in the West side of Baltimore. The Hippodrome is absolutely beautiful and has been faithfully restored. The area around the theater is a sea of construction for blocks in all directions. Fortunately, many of the old buildings are being restored and not demolished. Where new construction is occurring the facades of the older buildings are being saved.

Having traveled to every city of size in this country, Baltimore is rapidly becoming one of my favorite places to visit! It ranks right up there with New Orleans, San Francisco and New York. How nice it is that Baltimore now has a venue like the Hippodrome in which to showcase the performing arts.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on February 5, 2004 at 2:30 pm

Its nice to see that a movie palace is being restored to its former glory. What kind of sound system will this theater have? Are there plans for any movies being shown here soon and when? :)

VickiT
VickiT on February 3, 2004 at 8:49 am

This is a comment for Debbie S. as well as anyone who has a story to tell about the Hippodrome. I am an AFRO writer who’d like to hear your stories. Please contact at 410-554-8275

Debbie
Debbie on January 27, 2004 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info on the article. It was an interesting read. My grandmother, now 85, used to dance there with The Baltimore Ballet. Ever since I was a little girl, Ive heard stories about that place. Thankfully, I have some pictures of her on stage as well as some newspaper clippings. I already have my very expensive ( but worth it) ticket to “The Producers” and I can hardly wait to step foot into the building and back into time.

Roger Katz
Roger Katz on January 17, 2004 at 4:59 am

There is a great article about the Hippodrome restoration at View link

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on January 6, 2004 at 8:17 pm

I hope along with the Hippodrome, I hope the Towne is also being restored. A suggestion for the city of Baltimore is to put a new roof on the Mayfair and mothball it until funds can be found to restore this theatre. Look at the Biltmore in NYC it was exposed to the elements for decades until its recent restoration. Brucec

gmorrison
gmorrison on January 6, 2004 at 5:08 pm

I remember as a teenager growing up in Hagerstown, MD driving 70 miles to Baltimore to see “Cleopatra” at the Hippodrome. I was very impressed at the size of the theatre—I was an immediate fan of the Hipp. I believe that was 1963.
Glenn M.
Washington, DC

RedDawg
RedDawg on October 26, 2003 at 5:56 pm

I believe the Mayfair with its collapsed roof may be beyond saving, but the Parkway is a different story. Please see www.parkwaytheatre.com

unknown
unknown on October 21, 2003 at 7:37 am

With “The Producers” coming to town, one would hope the Hipp would have a chance to shine again. However, with Ticketmaster charging a $4.50 facility fee AND and $9.50 ‘Convenience’ fee, on top of a $75.00 ticket (Hmmm, lets, see…can you say ‘fleece’?), the average schmo, like me, may be put off.

PaulDrury
PaulDrury on June 8, 2002 at 9:55 am

The Hippodrome is currently being completely restored top to bottom. It is a massive restoration effort that is underway. The final prognosis looks grand indeed.

Thomas
Thomas on December 13, 2001 at 6:33 pm

It appears that the nearby TOWN theatre around the corner from the Hippodrome may also be saved. Plans are in the works to rebuild this fine theatre as well. Now if we can only save the Mayfair and Parkway Theatres !