Apollo Theater

253 W. 125th Street,
New York, NY 10027

Bway
Bway on January 2, 2008 at 6:37 pm

I wonder what they tore down next to the Apollo on the left. I don’t remember a vacant lot last time I was by about a year ago.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on September 1, 2007 at 8:09 pm

They have certainly smartened the place up since i was there in the late 90s to see the Broadway show ‘Harlem Nights’. Beautiful auditorium.

hanksykes
hanksykes on August 8, 2007 at 10:33 pm

In 2002 the entire tour of the Theatre Historical Society , more than 150 people, sang along with the Apollo Stage Manager ,“America The Beautiful”,so I guess you could say we played the Apollo! Thanks to Bobby the stage manager.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 9, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Yes, the marquee has an LED display.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on May 9, 2007 at 3:07 am

I think this has been photoshopped – the signs are a little too neat and crisp, and unless there has been a development that I missed, marquee letters don’t come in upper and lower case. It might be a computer generated rendering from a sign company.

Bway
Bway on May 7, 2007 at 3:47 pm

I find it amazing that a theater as famous as the Apollo, perhaps one of the most famous theater in the world, and even though it only was a film house briefly, it’s unimaginable that there is absolutely no opening paragraph or intruduction above.

RobertR
RobertR on October 9, 2006 at 10:01 pm

As late as 1976 the Apollo still ran occasional films.

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on December 16, 2005 at 11:38 pm

In today’s NY Times, they talked about (in the MTA strike article) Bloomberg attending a celebration for the newly refurbished facade.

RobertR
RobertR on October 16, 2005 at 5:07 pm

The 1970 matinee re-issue of “Wizard of Oz” played here

mauriceski
mauriceski on September 29, 2005 at 12:50 am

my first trip to the apollo was inthe early 1940s when my father took me there. in the 40s most of the big time black bands played a week or more there. billy eskstine’s band was there alot also louis jordan and count basie and duke ellington. in the mid 50s they featured a lot of jazz artist like sonny stitt sonny rollins,monk.miles davis jerry mulligan and maynard ferguson.

RobertR
RobertR on August 14, 2005 at 7:56 pm

This cheapie kids matinee was really an Italian film called “Sette Nani Alla Riscossa, I”. It was relased here in 1970 as “The 7 Dwarfs to the Rescue”. It’s only Manhattan booking was the 125th St. Apollo.

RobertR
RobertR on July 8, 2005 at 1:36 am

Seems in 1971 the Apollo was showing films again.

Also status on here should not show demolished since this is a live venue.

jflundy
jflundy on August 21, 2004 at 3:34 am

See a 1949 photo of yhe Apollo and other 125th St theaters by link below.

This is a photo of theaters.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 3, 2004 at 5:15 pm

The Apollo claims the address of 253 West 125th Street at its website (www.apollotheater.com)…The theatre first opened in 1913 as Hurtig & Seamon’s Music Hall, and had George Keister as architect.
The Adamesque decor is rather plain, and it seems likely that the Apollo would never have been declared an architectural landmark without its global fame as a showcase and launching pad for black entertainers. Stars such as Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, and James Brown got their starts there by winning one of the Apollo’s legendary “Amateur Nights,” which started in 1935 and became a weekly tradition.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 31, 2004 at 5:42 pm

This is one of the most famous theatres in the world, the “live” musical mecca of Harlem for seven or eight decades and still operating, according to a big story in the March 30, 2004 issue of The New York Times, page E1. But I don’t know why the Apollo is listed at “Cinema Treasures,” because it was never a movie house. It originally housed burlesque and then switched to vaudeville during the Depression. Admittedly, movies were sometimes shown to fill time between the stage shows, but they were short “B” features and usually not even mentioned in the Apollo’s advertising. Some were so terrible that I think that they were deliberately chosen to empty the house before the next stage show started.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 26, 2004 at 5:40 pm

The Lower East Side Apollo was a 1,788-seat independent theatre near bustling Delancey Street that Loew’s took over in the 1930s and ran for about ten years before closing it as a substantial loser. I don’t think it ever re-opened under another management. Several years ago, I tried to find the Apollo but couldn’t. It has either been demolished or converted beyond recognition as a theatre.

RedDawg
RedDawg on February 26, 2004 at 3:39 pm

I erred in noting that WurliTzer Opus #1419 was installed in the 125th Street Apollo theatre. It was actually installed in a different Apollo theatre at 126 Clinton Street, NYC. There is likewise no information on the status of this theatre that I can find.

William
William on November 14, 2003 at 11:43 pm

The address above is wrong it should read 263 W. 125th Street.

RedDawg
RedDawg on October 27, 2003 at 1:49 am

This theatre once contained WurliTzer theatre organ Opus #1419, installed in 1926 and removed c. 196?. Most of this organ has been preserved and it is hoped will eventually be installed into Baltimore’s Parkway Theatre. (See www.parkwaytheatre.com))