Apollo Theater

253 W. 125th Street,
New York, NY 10027

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 29, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Here is another exterior photo. View at your own risk.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 29, 2008 at 12:33 pm

The “100” number refers only to those who were vocal.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 29, 2008 at 10:24 am

William, I didn’t write the caption. You should send your correction to The New York Times.

William
William on September 29, 2008 at 9:57 am

Warren, there more then “about 100 people” in that picture from the NY Times.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 29, 2008 at 9:46 am

And you would be a winner!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 29, 2008 at 9:38 am

Here is another photo of the Apollo Theater at night. When I find more, I’ll be happy to post them.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 28, 2008 at 7:03 am

This view of the auditorium makes a welcome change from the seemingly endless and increasingly boring postings of exterior photos:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 19, 2008 at 7:11 pm

The Harlem Opera House is listed in the 1945 Film Daily Yearbook so I assume it was still showing movies at least up to that year.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 19, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Thanks, LM! I was not aware it was still showing films that far into the forties.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 19, 2008 at 4:32 pm

LM, which Harlem Theatre is that in the May 8 photo?

LuisV
LuisV on September 18, 2008 at 7:48 am

The Apollo theater has just recieved another $1MM donation from one of its board members to be applied towards the completion of its renovation in time for its 75th Anniversary.

Too bad the Loew’s Kings doesn’t have this kind of support.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 17, 2008 at 6:44 pm

This is another photo of the Apollo.

jflundy
jflundy on August 17, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Circa 1941 photo of Apollo from west of 8th Avenue:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 8, 2008 at 8:02 pm

If you look at this photo which I posted on another theater listing, you will see the Apollo, the Harlem, and the Loew’s Victoria which is the other marquee as movie534 already pointed out.

markp
markp on May 8, 2008 at 7:44 pm

That other marquee in the distance is of the old Loew’s Victoria 125th Street theatre, which later became the Victoria 5 theatres.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 8, 2008 at 7:21 pm

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 3, 2008 at 11:21 am

In the 3/28 photo, what is the story with the marquee down the block? Is that another theater or former theater?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 3, 2008 at 8:54 am

Here’s a rare Apollo ad from 1950 with a movie receiving almost as much attention as the stage bill: View link

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 14, 2008 at 11:10 am

The year given for this photo is 1989.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 23, 2008 at 4:09 pm

This is a January 16, 2008 article.

LuisV
LuisV on January 23, 2008 at 8:24 am

ShoeShoe…I wholeheartedly agree! While I know that the old palaces could never be replicated in a financially viable way, I don’t know why more of the multiplexes can’t be constructed to at least pay some homage to the old palaces of the past.

One of my favorite multiplexes is the AMC 25 plex in Times Square due to its incorporation of the old Empire Theater into its lobby. I would have been much, much happier it they had just made the Empire one of the 24 screens. It was, in fact a small theater, and could have been spectacularly used. I’m sure they thought of it, but for some reason or another it wasn’t financially viable.

My other favorite is the Loew’s Lincoln Sqaure and only because they paid homage to the old Loew’s movie palaces of the metropolitan New York area with each screening room dedicated to a former palace along with a small history. I only wish that each screening room was decorated to relate directly to the theater being honored. You would think that in this day of cheap faux decorations (of which Vegas is but the biggest example) this would be relatively easy to do.

Maybe not.

Warren, I respect your decision not to accept the Apollo. I, however do not accept almost any of the multiplexes as they are but simple boxes with no architectural distinctions. I stand by my comment that it is about the building. As such, I don’t care if movies were shown simply as fillers between live acts or not. If they were a beautiful strucure and they showed a film, they should be listed on CT. I believe that even a relatively spartan Apollo theater is much more a cinema treasure than almost any of the multiplexes (and many of the single screens as well) on this website.