Loew's Metropolitan Theatre

392 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 28, 2008 at 10:41 am

Downtown Brooklyn is hardly in the suburbs. It’s part of New York City, and one could easily walk there from downtown Manhattan via the Brooklyn Bridge…And I’m wondering what Mr. Alvarez means by “since it ran for three record weeks it overlapped with the circuit break.” I presume that Mr. A. is talking about “A Woman’s Face,” but WHERE did it run for those three record weeks? At the Capitol or in the engagement that included Loew’s Jersey City and Loew’s State (Newark)?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on July 28, 2008 at 8:40 am

“They called her the scarfaced she-devil!”

“A Woman’s Face” was a first-run move-over from the Capitol and this was the first suburban run of the film, with “Washington Melodrama” as a co-feature. The run included the Loews Jersey City and Newark theatres but since it ran for record three weeks it overlapped with the circuit break.

michelemarie
michelemarie on July 28, 2008 at 8:23 am

Dear J.F.

When I was a kid of the 1950’s, there was a Bond Mens Clothing Store next to the Met and a Schraffts on the Left of the Met. That Crawford Stores was a Staple store back then and yes Nedick’s was the best.. On that same side of the street stood a Chock full of Nut’s Coffee Shop in the late 60’s. But the Met lived on in the 60’s. I always thought the Met was a exclusive Theater. I always as a kid went to local moviehouses such as the Commodore, Marcy, Republic, Meserole. RKO Greenpoint Theaters in my neighborhood of Williamsburgh and Greenpoint.. It was a treat to go to the Paramount and the Fox and of coarse the Met with my Parents.. Also a treat to go to the Automat on Fulton and Jay Streets. And a real treat to go to Juniors for special occasions..Always good memories revisiting the Brooklyn Memories of Fulton Street. Remember McCrory’s across from Mays Department Stores. I loved the Waffles and Ice Cream they served in front of the store facing Fulton Street.. It was the competition for Woolworths..next to A&S..Speaking of A&S do you remember the downstairs Childrens Department and the Horse ride for the kids while partents shopped for shoes for them? and of coarse the resturant in the basement and the frozen dessert near the back escalater in the luggage department…I spent most of my Saturday’s as a child in A&S with my Mother, sister, and Aunt’s in A&S and sometimes in the Met. Sorry to say the old Fulton Street is not the same anymore..Oh well thanks for the trip down memory lane. anniegirl

jflundy
jflundy on July 27, 2008 at 10:46 am

Here is a photo showing the Loews Metropolitan taken on June 21, 1941 as they were tearing down the Fulton Street El, a year after service was ended on both the EL and Fulton Trolley Car line as NYC took over the BMT and eliminated major services.

Note the Nedick’s and other long gone Brooklyn icons.

michelemarie
michelemarie on April 7, 2008 at 11:54 am

Dear Lost Memory and Warren, you guys are sure up on your history of Movies and Stars..Thanks…Anniegirl

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 7, 2008 at 6:42 am

And Brooklyn’s very own Allen Stewart Konigsberg was only 13 at that time.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 6, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Another future Mrs. Sinatra (Mia Farrow) was only four years old at that time.

RobertR
RobertR on April 6, 2008 at 6:09 pm

The future Mr & Mrs Sinatra shared a bill in 1949.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 18, 2007 at 7:59 am

This ad from the Labor Day weekend of 1942 clearly shows the Metropolitan as Loew’s Brooklyn “flagship.” After finishing at the Met, “Mrs. Miniver” would move on to Loew’s Kings and Loew’s Pitkin for a week, and then to the Loew’s listed here with “Are Husbands Necessary?” and “Tarzan’s New York Adventure”: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/loews9342.jpg

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on November 25, 2007 at 10:43 am

Ed, the Cineplex Odeon lease included several unused office spaces floors upstairs and in surrounding buildings that dated back to the agents for the live shows.

There were also changing room upstairs accessed only by fire ladders and an elaborate octagonal waiting area for the downstairs rest rooms.

The basement alone was almost a city block and scary as hell with huge rats living there.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 25, 2007 at 9:49 am

After a 74-week reserved-seat engagement at Loew’s State in Manhattan, “Ben-Hur” had its first Brooklyn booking here in July, 1961: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/wyler61.jpg

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2007 at 11:17 am

It certainly appears that way from the images you captured and shared with us, Ken. I imagine that annexing the building on Livingston (behind the stagehouse) greatly added to the circulation spaces. Or, am I mistaken and was that building always a part of the Metropolitan’s footprint?

KenRoe
KenRoe on November 8, 2007 at 10:44 am

Thanks for the complements Ed. I never saw the original colour scheme when it was operating as a movie theatre, but I would imagine it was darker and that the current Brooklyn Tabernacle prefered a lighter scheme.

On our tour of the building last week, I was amazed at the huge amount of foyer and circulation spaces that are inside the building. All areas have been renovated to the highest standards.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2007 at 6:56 am

Gorgeous shots, Ken. Many thanks. I take it that the color scheme is entirely new… wasn’t the original comprised of much darker hues? I was at the theatre a few weeks back, but didn’t have time to get inside. I took a few exterior shots, but nothing I thought worth posting. Both of the theatre’s original street facades (Fulton St and Smith St) have been completely replaced and a new entrance added through an adjacent office building on Livingston Street behind the stage housing.

The auditorium side wall on Gallatin Place has been shorn of its upper exterior fire escape – the outline of which can still be seen in this image. Given the size of the balcony, I’m surprised the small staircase that remains is sufficient means for emergency egress. I presume there are other new fire exits within the complex?

michelemarie
michelemarie on November 7, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Dear KenRoe, Beautiful interior pictures of the old Met.anniegirl

KenRoe
KenRoe on November 7, 2007 at 2:21 pm

A scan of a photograph I took in 1998 of the closed down Cineplex Odeon quad, showing the original facade on the main Fulton Street entrance:
The same view, taken in June 2006 of the altered facade. This is now a secondary entrance to the Brooklyn Tabernacle:
A set of interior photographs I took on the November 2007 Cinema Theatre Association(UK) visit that I organised to New York’s theatres:

auntannie
auntannie on May 10, 2007 at 9:01 am

Gee the pictures of the interior is wonderfull. My Mom and my sister went to see Gone With the Wind when it showcased there back when Schraffts was next door…What memories. Thanks. Anniegirl

spectrum
spectrum on May 10, 2007 at 3:33 am

The Brooklyn tabernacle has reorganized their website; the link at the top no longer works. The following will take you to a set of photos taken during their restoration of the theatre. http://www.brooklyntabernacle.org/history.cfm# It looks like they were doing a fantastic job restoring the venue to its original appearance! I just wish they would put up a set of post-restoration photos so we can see the end result.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 21, 2007 at 5:09 am

Due to Radio City Music Hall’s decision to show the movie “flat,” Loew’s Metropolitan was the first theatre in NYC’s five boroughs to present the 3-D version of “Kiss Me Kate.” This ad makes no mention of the RCMH engagement, but does claim that “You haven’t seen 3-D until you have seen ‘Kiss Me Kate.’” The viewing glasses were “newly styled, comfortable, optically perfect.” After three weeks at the Met, the 3-D “Kate” moved on to the Loew’s circuit with the same “flat” co-feature: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/katemet.jpg

michelemarie
michelemarie on January 4, 2007 at 5:34 am

ok Warren, I will e-mail you asap

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 3, 2007 at 4:14 am

Sorry, but I had to remove the image to make room in my scrapbook. I will be happy to send you a copy if you contact me privately at .com

michelemarie
michelemarie on January 2, 2007 at 1:26 pm

Dear Warren could not open the above 1952 pic. Please reput it in again. Happy New Year.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 13, 2006 at 4:58 am

Seventy-three years later, these stage headliners are still celebrated, but the movies quickly faded into obscurity:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/loparade.jpg

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 17, 2006 at 5:44 am

Dear Bway, Thanks for the pic of the old Met. Can you name the store that is next to Nedick’s to your left. and the store next to that. Crawford was a men’s clothes store then Nedick’s. But I can’t make out the next two stores and I am interested in recalling. My Aunt can’t remember so I need some help. Thanks Anniegirl