Loew's Metropolitan Theatre

392 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

jflundy
jflundy on July 27, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Here is a photo showing the Loews Metropolitan taken on June 21, 1941 as they were tearing down the Fulton Street El, a year after service was ended on both the EL and Fulton Trolley Car line as NYC took over the BMT and eliminated major services.

Note the Nedick’s and other long gone Brooklyn icons.

michelemarie
michelemarie on April 7, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Dear Lost Memory and Warren, you guys are sure up on your history of Movies and Stars..Thanks…Anniegirl

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 7, 2008 at 9:42 am

And Brooklyn’s very own Allen Stewart Konigsberg was only 13 at that time.

RobertR
RobertR on April 6, 2008 at 9:09 pm

The future Mr & Mrs Sinatra shared a bill in 1949.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 18, 2007 at 10:59 am

This ad from the Labor Day weekend of 1942 clearly shows the Metropolitan as Loew’s Brooklyn “flagship.” After finishing at the Met, “Mrs. Miniver” would move on to Loew’s Kings and Loew’s Pitkin for a week, and then to the Loew’s listed here with “Are Husbands Necessary?” and “Tarzan’s New York Adventure”: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/loews9342.jpg

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on November 25, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Ed, the Cineplex Odeon lease included several unused office spaces floors upstairs and in surrounding buildings that dated back to the agents for the live shows.

There were also changing room upstairs accessed only by fire ladders and an elaborate octagonal waiting area for the downstairs rest rooms.

The basement alone was almost a city block and scary as hell with huge rats living there.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 25, 2007 at 12:49 pm

After a 74-week reserved-seat engagement at Loew’s State in Manhattan, “Ben-Hur” had its first Brooklyn booking here in July, 1961: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/wyler61.jpg

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2007 at 2:17 pm

It certainly appears that way from the images you captured and shared with us, Ken. I imagine that annexing the building on Livingston (behind the stagehouse) greatly added to the circulation spaces. Or, am I mistaken and was that building always a part of the Metropolitan’s footprint?

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 8, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Thanks for the complements Ed. I never saw the original colour scheme when it was operating as a movie theatre, but I would imagine it was darker and that the current Brooklyn Tabernacle prefered a lighter scheme.

On our tour of the building last week, I was amazed at the huge amount of foyer and circulation spaces that are inside the building. All areas have been renovated to the highest standards.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2007 at 9:56 am

Gorgeous shots, Ken. Many thanks. I take it that the color scheme is entirely new… wasn’t the original comprised of much darker hues? I was at the theatre a few weeks back, but didn’t have time to get inside. I took a few exterior shots, but nothing I thought worth posting. Both of the theatre’s original street facades (Fulton St and Smith St) have been completely replaced and a new entrance added through an adjacent office building on Livingston Street behind the stage housing.

The auditorium side wall on Gallatin Place has been shorn of its upper exterior fire escape – the outline of which can still be seen in this image. Given the size of the balcony, I’m surprised the small staircase that remains is sufficient means for emergency egress. I presume there are other new fire exits within the complex?

michelemarie
michelemarie on November 7, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Dear KenRoe, Beautiful interior pictures of the old Met.anniegirl

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 7, 2007 at 5:21 pm

A scan of a photograph I took in 1998 of the closed down Cineplex Odeon quad, showing the original facade on the main Fulton Street entrance:
The same view, taken in June 2006 of the altered facade. This is now a secondary entrance to the Brooklyn Tabernacle:
A set of interior photographs I took on the November 2007 Cinema Theatre Association(UK) visit that I organised to New York’s theatres:

auntannie
auntannie on May 10, 2007 at 12:01 pm

Gee the pictures of the interior is wonderfull. My Mom and my sister went to see Gone With the Wind when it showcased there back when Schraffts was next door…What memories. Thanks. Anniegirl

spectrum
spectrum on May 10, 2007 at 6:33 am

The Brooklyn tabernacle has reorganized their website; the link at the top no longer works. The following will take you to a set of photos taken during their restoration of the theatre. http://www.brooklyntabernacle.org/history.cfm# It looks like they were doing a fantastic job restoring the venue to its original appearance! I just wish they would put up a set of post-restoration photos so we can see the end result.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 21, 2007 at 8:09 am

Due to Radio City Music Hall’s decision to show the movie “flat,” Loew’s Metropolitan was the first theatre in NYC’s five boroughs to present the 3-D version of “Kiss Me Kate.” This ad makes no mention of the RCMH engagement, but does claim that “You haven’t seen 3-D until you have seen ‘Kiss Me Kate.’” The viewing glasses were “newly styled, comfortable, optically perfect.” After three weeks at the Met, the 3-D “Kate” moved on to the Loew’s circuit with the same “flat” co-feature: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/katemet.jpg

michelemarie
michelemarie on January 4, 2007 at 8:34 am

ok Warren, I will e-mail you asap

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 3, 2007 at 7:14 am

Sorry, but I had to remove the image to make room in my scrapbook. I will be happy to send you a copy if you contact me privately at .com

michelemarie
michelemarie on January 2, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Dear Warren could not open the above 1952 pic. Please reput it in again. Happy New Year.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 13, 2006 at 7:58 am

Seventy-three years later, these stage headliners are still celebrated, but the movies quickly faded into obscurity:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/loparade.jpg

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 17, 2006 at 8:44 am

Dear Bway, Thanks for the pic of the old Met. Can you name the store that is next to Nedick’s to your left. and the store next to that. Crawford was a men’s clothes store then Nedick’s. But I can’t make out the next two stores and I am interested in recalling. My Aunt can’t remember so I need some help. Thanks Anniegirl

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 17, 2006 at 8:35 am

Yes Sir Brooklyn Jim, Growing up in Brroklyn was great. To me as a kid Cino’s was a upscale pizza place for me. As a kid it was eating in a high class resturant instead of a pizza place. the Clinton Hill apt’s were upscale and yes they did look like projects. My Aunt lived on one of the High Floors and going in the elevator was scary. How do you like Bway pic of the old Met. Was a scene, Crawford mens clothing store and Nedicks. I never liked their Hot Dogs but I loved their Orange Drinks… My dad used to take me to Fort Green Park and I would always sit by the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. It seemed you can see the Navy Yard from that point. My children were born in Brooklyn Hospital in 1978 and 1989 (my change of life baby) HA. She is 16 going on 25 now. She loves all of my Brooklyn Memories. She is going to write a essay on Brooklyn, with my help. When my oldest Daughter got Married, I created a book of Brookly Memories for my elder relatives and they looked at them at the Wedding. It truly was a walk down memory lane for them. Talk to you soon.Anniegirl

Bway
Bway on August 17, 2006 at 7:03 am

Here’s a photo of the old Loews Metropolitan, when they were tearing down the old Fulton St Elevated down, once it was replaced with the Fulton Subway.
The theater had seen light for the first time….

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 16, 2006 at 6:07 pm

Anniegirl: No on the State @ Franklin & DeKalb. Yes on the State downtown. Most of the other items you mentioned are also a Yes: Cino’s on Dekalb & Vanderbilt (mid-block), the Clinton Hill Apts. (we called them “the projects,” but they were pretty upscale when built in the spring of ‘47), Fort Greene Park and Sailors Monument, S. Portland Ave. (my uncle owned a butcher shop there, and I passed by last April!) and Presley records (now worth a decent price to sell). Ah, you got it right: the movies, the music and the magic of growing up in Brooklyn…

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 14, 2006 at 5:17 pm

Warren great research I love it. I was almost 2 years old. Iam sure my Parents, Aunts and Uncles went to the Met to see the Movie.Thanks for the billing. Anniegirl