Alhambra Theatre

1101 Alhambra Boulevard,
Sacramento, CA 95818

rcrawford on February 19, 2004 at 4:05 pm

I remember going there w/my sister Marianne in the 50’s. I remember the outside of the building well. What I remember most was the interior… with it’s chinese red carpeting with gold lamay trim. I remember the Roman pillars, and the loage seating, with trim work that matched the carpeting. They even brought in Sammy Davis Jr. to head a fund raiser to try to save the theatre. However it was sold to Safeway, but, there was an auction. They sold as much of the interior decor as they could before tearing it down. Perhaps the Sacramento Bee can shed some light as to what happened with the stuff they auctioned off? Perhaps there is some public record?

Angel on February 8, 2004 at 3:34 pm

I was born in sacramento, california (3-09-38)
I saw “Gone with the Wind” when I was 7
years old. I too have never gone to that
safeway store…they tore my memories down
I too am looking for a photo of the theater,
we have now moved to Farmington, Missouri to
be near our daughter & son-in-law, so I need
a photo for my memory wall!
please, if anyone can help me, I would be
most appreciative!
Ann Pirisky

Bud K
Bud K on January 17, 2004 at 7:34 pm

One of the best pictures of the Alhambra are in the Halls of the Kaiser Hospital on Morse Ave in Sacramento, The Lobby, Main Auditorium and Gardens. It was a Big Theater, The last movie I saw there was “What’s up Doc” with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neill. I still have a bush in my front yard that came from one of the side planting when they tore it down in 1973. PS I still curse at that Safeways Store :)

Ginny on April 5, 2003 at 8:52 am

My mother, Mary Lou (Cargay) Schumacher was born and raised in Sacramento. As a girl she went many time to see movies at the Alhambra Theater. I can remember driving my brothers there one warm summer night, not long before it was demolished. What happened to this fabulous theater was a crime. There still seems to be a constant fight in Sacramento to preserve our historical buildings. Many developers do not care about history or architectural beauty in Sacramento; they care about money. I will never step a foot in this Safeway store.

Fish on December 22, 2002 at 9:29 am

The Alhambra was a gorgeous movie palace that Safeway bought and demolished. A Safeway store, which I boycott, still stands on the site.

Linda on November 20, 2002 at 9:15 pm

Does anyone know where one can find photos of Sacramento’s Alhambra Theatre other than the basic facade?

I am looking for photos of the gardens, interior, lobbies, stairways, concessions, etc.

Thanks for any information you can share.

GaryParks on August 17, 2002 at 1:16 pm

A section of the Alhambra’s auditorium wall, as well as two lobby torchieres, are preserved in the Oakland Museum in the section about California in the 20s.