Million Dollar Theatre

307 South Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on November 12, 2009 at 1:32 pm

The Wild Bunch will be screening here this evening in a program sponsored by the Jules Verne Society. I believe the presentation will be digital. Surviving stars of the film including Ernest Borgnine, Bo Hopkins, L.Q. Jones and Alfonso Arau will be there along with Ali MacGraw, Lalo Schifrin and the families of Sam Peckinpah and Jerry Fielding. There will be tours of the theater and an on stage reception and after party. As of yesterday, tickets were still available on the society’s web site.

Marquez2
Marquez2 on October 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm

My father and his mariachi played weekly at El Million Dollar for over a decade. El Mariachi America de Miguel Marquez. I remember as a kid goin there and seen my dad play his bihuela. From what I hear my father was well known and he had a blast all those years. My fathers name was Miguel Marquez and he past away in 1997. Every time I drive by El Million Dollar I get a funny feeling and I think, that is where my father was happy in life. I cant wait to go and see a concert there.

Marquez2
Marquez2 on October 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Marquez2
Marquez2 on October 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on September 22, 2009 at 6:52 am

The LA Historic Theatre Foundation will be presenting some historical background on the Broadway theaters, plus a tour of not only the Million Dollar, but also the Morosco (Globe). Saturday, Sept 26th, doors open at 10:30, presentation starts at 11. See you there!

academy133
academy133 on September 5, 2009 at 8:01 am

Here are the updated links to THE HIDDEN LAYERS, a 15-minute documentary about the hidden spaces inside the Million Dollar Theater.

The Hidden Layers Part 1/3
The Hidden Layers Part 2/3
The Hidden Layers Part 3/3

Enjoy and pass it on.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 18, 2009 at 7:53 am

Here is a January 1926 ad from the LA Times:

William
William on June 25, 2009 at 12:19 am

I forgot to put the title of the film in the above post. “500 Days of Summer” from Fox Searchlight pictures.

William
William on June 25, 2009 at 12:16 am

You can see a short scene that shows the marquee and the actor watching a film inside with a fake projection booth in the back of the main floor.

academy133
academy133 on June 13, 2009 at 7:55 am

Million Dollar Theater: The Hidden Layers (2009)
A 15-minute documentary by Haeyong Moon

Hillsman Wright, the executive director of the Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation, invites you into the hidden spaces inside the Million Dollar Theater.

Enjoy!

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on June 7, 2009 at 7:13 pm

The Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation, along with the Jules Verne Adventure Film Festival, will honoring Tony Curtis at the Million Dollar on June 13th. They’ll be screening Houdini in the afternoon, along with a magician who’ll be recreating one of Houdini’s famous escape stunts.

Then there’ll be a dinner at the Los Angeles Athletic Club, where Tony will be autographing copies of his book. And then back to the Million Dollar for the 50th anniversary of Some Like It Hot.

Come to see the theater or to star-gaze. It promises to be an amazing evening. Plus we’ll be revealing some of the Million Dollar’s “hidden treasures.”

Get your tickets now.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 10, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Here is a photo taken by Mrs. ken mc yesterday:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 7, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Here is a 1923 ad for Grauman’s Million Dollar from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 6, 2009 at 8:01 pm

The lineup for Last Remaining Seats is out-two shows each at the MD, Los Angeles and Orpheum. See www.laconservancy.org for details.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Here is a 1959 photo from the USC archive:

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on March 28, 2009 at 5:04 pm

“The booth of the Million Dollar was apparently an afterthought, as it was located at the front center of the balcony.”

Gordon made this comment back in 2003, but the recent “All About” presentation by LAHTF addressed this issue:

The position of the booth was well considered. For one thing, it meant the projectors were closer to the screen, so the image was brighter. Also, they were square on to the screen, so there was no keystoning to be corrected.

Yes, it’s a small booth in an odd place — but that does give it certain advantages.

monika
monika on February 9, 2009 at 6:59 am

Here is a photograph I took of the Million Dollar lobby on 1/31/09:

EveC
EveC on January 30, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I’m looking for anyone who would like to share memories of the Million Dollar Theatre from the 70s or earlier.
This is for a potential radio piece.
You would have to live in the NY or LA area to make this happen.
My email is eveclax at hotmail dot com
Looking forward to hearing from you.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 31, 2008 at 9:22 pm

There are some interior photos on this site:

DonLewis
DonLewis on December 31, 2008 at 7:24 pm

And your point would be ??