AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mt. Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 51 - 75 of 1,607 comments

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 15, 2017 at 11:39 pm

plus AMC card discounts add up and free online ticketing, etc.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 15, 2017 at 11:39 pm

I’d have to think they’d dump the Sparta 3 and not this major theater. I’d hate to see them dump this one, since AMC shows lots of the TCM classics and such that other chains don’t seem too. Not sure why they have to get rid of either. Do we even have Carmikes anywhere in the region?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 15, 2017 at 1:43 pm

If there’s one chain that might buy this theater it’s Regal. Regal has done a better job speeding up renovations of older theaters and expanding in the marketplace. Regal was the creator of the 20 minute preshow before spinning off the joint venture with AMC while still owning a part of it.

stevenj
stevenj on December 21, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Are moviebuff82 and muviebuf the same person? I can hear Bud Collyer right now. “Will the real moviebuff please stand up”.

muviebuf
muviebuf on December 21, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Under the proposed Justice Department Settlement Agreement AMC has been given the choice to divest the Rockaway 16 or the Digiplex Sparta 3.

The Settlement Agreement dated December 20, 2016 with all the divestiture options for the 15 locations (attached as Exhibit “A” thereto) is found at:

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 21, 2016 at 11:41 am

Ok. With the sale of Carmike to AMC complete, there might be talk of AMC to divest this theater as well as Sparta, which is not too far away from Rockaway and the only commercial movie theater left in Sussex County (the newton theater is independently run and sometimes shows movies mostly for revivals in addition to live concerts). Not only that, but the advertising will be switched to Screenvision from NCM soon.

stevenj
stevenj on December 20, 2016 at 3:53 pm

OK. Admittedly, I am not a fan of multiplexes. However I do like to see films at several near me. One has a giant floor to ceiling, wall to wall XD theater and another has a large curving screen with Dolby Atmos and now installing Dolby Vision and reclining seats. Glad to hear this one does good business but is there better projection, seating, sound?? What I remember most from this theatre’s comments are the long winded one person conversations that for quite a while went on daily. Also – Have friends in Caldwell and had a friend in Morristown that moved a year ago. Really beautiful country around there.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 19, 2016 at 11:48 am

It draws more people in morris county than the theater in morristown and east hanover combined. I created the theater post more than 10 years ago long before Facebook and others inputted places like this on their social media pages. I rarely comment on this page as I can comment on facebook and google. Might as well delete my profile.

stevenj
stevenj on December 15, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Why does a chain cookie cutter mallplex even have 1500+ comments? What is so special about this AMC outpost in north central New Jersey?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 7, 2016 at 12:16 pm

lol. By the way, the facebook page for AMC Rockaway is no longer there as all of the theaters have a facebook like that goes to the AMC Theatres facebook page.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 4, 2016 at 7:48 am

I agree. What are the seating numbers for each screen? I know theater #8, #15, and #16 are the largest with #9 the imax the second and the others are smallest to the far left and far right and medium to the left and right of the big houses.

theatrefan
theatrefan on December 1, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I like the LED showtime boards better, they are a lot brighter and much easier to read, so far Regal has not been phasing them out like AMC has. Concession stand menu board signage is a totally other story though.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 22, 2016 at 1:30 pm

the LED showtimes near the box office have been replaced with an HD display, as is common among most modern AMCs.

Rstewart
Rstewart on November 16, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Am I the only one here that looks at these N. NJ comments just to see if the relentless posting and counter-posting is still going on? Somebody here just needs to give it up!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 15, 2016 at 12:15 pm

AMC is currently renovating underperforming theaters first before working on the more popular ones, as was the case with Morristown when they took over that location from Clearview/Bow Tie years after they bought the location from AMC in the late 90s. East Hanover is next.

MGrennille
MGrennille on November 10, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Any word yet on a remodel? I figured this would be one of the first locations to get it done, since it serves a large area….

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 3, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Went to see Sully in regular at theater #13 after paying a morning ticket to the show. After the cashier checked my stubs card along with what was left of one of many AMC gift cards, he didn’t care to print out the receipt as my dad paid with cash!!!! After the end of the preview for Denial, they didn’t show the film’s rating along with the release date and the AMC logo, which has been common during every AMC screening I’ve been to since nearly three years ago. They recently installed new automatic cleaning devices inside the toilets. Now only if they ramp up the renovations to this theater, as Morristown is a hassle to go to.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on June 6, 2016 at 7:37 pm

It was never closed. They just delayed scheduling the IMAX shows since they were deciding between abandoning Alice for Turtles or not (they chose the latter). There is no way they’d put laser in here before Lincoln Square. I don’t even think they have their multi-plex laser projector finished yet (apparently they want something cheaper than the big one they put in a full true IMAX places so far).

MGrennille
MGrennille on June 6, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Any info on what they did…?

MGrennille
MGrennille on April 12, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Do we know what/when renovations are coming to Rockaway?

Giles
Giles on February 23, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I’m not sure why the AMC Prime experience would be better than the IMAX version, considering for BvS around three scenes were shot in 4:3 IMAX full screen

MGrennille
MGrennille on February 17, 2016 at 7:59 am

Alpine, I totally agree with you. I’ve been going to AMC Prime in Paramus for the “official” Prime releases. Seeing The Revenant in Prime was the best movie theater experience I have ever had. It would rock if they would upgrade Rockaway to that next.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 9, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Assuming the late announcement for PIP:30th here doesn’t hurt the sales (with people thinking it’s not showing, not having enough time to realize it is, etc.) it might be crowded. This greater Rockaway area seems to really go for the 80s movies. Sometimes if you don’t pre-order you won’t even get in. Not safe to show up last second and expect to be guaranteed to get into those (so just advice for those used to going to the places where these don’t sell quite as well).