Ford Center for the Performing Arts Oriental Theatre

24 W. Randolph Street,
Chicago, IL 60601

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on July 24, 2009 at 1:43 pm

These 1946 images come courtesy of LIFE …
and

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 7, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Here is a 1946 photo from Life magazine:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 2, 2009 at 6:02 pm

This is from the Trib. Not sure if it has been posted before.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on May 2, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Great picture. This is a little off topic, but I’d completely forgotten about Hargrave’s Secret Service. The large neon with the eagle to the East of the Oriental. They had several other locations around Chicago.
One was over near Superior & Franklin as I recall. Some of those signs hung on buildings long after Hargrave’s had vacated.
I think it was some type of detective & guard agency that accompanied various businesses to banks with their deposits.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 1, 2009 at 2:47 pm

In BW Chicago’s 1975 photo the price of that steak is $1.29.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 1, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I like the $2.99 steak next door.

JRS40
JRS40 on May 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Actually this pic has to be from the late 70’s. The Oriental didn’t stop using the front of the marquee until late in its life. Plus if you look at my booking list above this is not playing in 1972.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 15, 2009 at 12:30 am

Reactivate Notification Status.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 13, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I should give credit where credit is due, I guess. I saw Lost Memory using it.

If you have nothing to do for the next thirty minutes do a search on “Chicago”. You will be presented with 10 pages of color photos, many illustrating obscure Chicago neighborhood theatres. It is really fascinating.

Broan
Broan on April 13, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Wow, great discovery

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 13, 2009 at 4:40 pm

And in better times:

P.S. Spend some time on this web site. It is excellent.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 13, 2009 at 4:38 pm

The Oriental during it’s life as the “Oriental Electronics” store:

JRS40
JRS40 on March 27, 2009 at 1:12 pm

MPol you are correct. The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre was the set up for SOME LIKE IT HOT. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon witnessed it and had to go on the run, thus dressing as women and joining a band. Although it took place in Chicago I don’t think those scenes were filmed there.

italactor
italactor on February 15, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Does anyone remember VAUGN’s toy store near the Oreintal? I recall standing in line waiting to go into see a Disney movie, and as the line moved we passed this window with a wonderful display of toy soldiers, trains and lots of other great 1950s toys. IT was always a stop after the film, and I purchased a lot of the figures that I still have in my collection. I always thought those owners had the best location than any other toy store in Chicago. Nay one remember that?

italactor
italactor on February 15, 2009 at 1:49 pm

MPol
MPol on February 15, 2009 at 11:36 am

True enough, David Zornig.

(a bit off-topic, but) Regarding the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, isn’t that what the movie “Some Like It Hot” was based on? I have a feeling that it was.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on February 15, 2009 at 12:46 am

Wow. Just seeing (Jim) Colosimo’s name, reminded me today is the 80th anniversary of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. And not a word of it mentioned on the evening news.

MPol
MPol on February 14, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Another cool-looking theatre!

Broan
Broan on February 14, 2009 at 11:47 pm

They played the Loop End starting Nov. 5, 1931.
Oriental starting September 8, 1935.
Oriental starting January 19, 1936.
Uptown starting February 23, 1936.
State-Lake starting May 9, 1937.
Cocoanut Grove (Morton Grove) starting June 20, 1937.
Palace starting July 24, 1938.
State-Lake starting February 26, 1939.
Oriental starting January 21, 1940.
Oriental starting November 29, 1942.
Oriental starting September 19, 1943.
Colosimo’s late August 1946.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on February 14, 2009 at 10:38 pm

You may want to try contacting Rich Koz at TV Channel 26 the “U”, in Chicago.
He runs a show called “Stoogapalooza” every Saturday evening on that channel. I assume he is a Stooge historian as well.