AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

Bway
Bway on January 10, 2012 at 2:48 am

And in the 70’s and 80’s it was a hellhole. Better what it is now, than what it was then. The refurbishment of Times Square didn’t destroy the “old” Times Square, the 70’s and 80’s destroyed the old Times Square.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm

i agree. Ever since the 90’s and 2000’s this place has been Disneyfied.

Marcel
Marcel on January 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I’ve been here and it’s ok, it takes just as long to get in and out of here as it does to see the movie (I don’t like escalators). I miss Times Square when it was marquee after marquee and competitive competition and prices.

Garth
Garth on January 9, 2012 at 4:33 am

moviebuff I saw the digital presentation due to timing concerns. I plan to see the movie again in IMAX at a later date.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Ed, if it isn’t custom built, it is fake IMAX. Sony opened Lincoln Square with a real one.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Is the Empire’s IMAX conversion a real lie like most multiplex conversions? I know this didn’t open with an IMAX facility, but I would have thought this might have been one of the better conversions around town.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 8, 2012 at 11:20 am

did you see it in liemax or digital

Garth
Garth on January 8, 2012 at 11:17 am

Saw MI4 here yesterday. Still a great place to see a movie. A small complaint – the popcorn is tasteless compared to the Regal 13.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 3, 2012 at 11:16 am

Nope but i’ve seen pictures of the interior online on CT and other picture sites..and i go right by there every time i visit the big apple. I also go by the regal ewalk as well.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Justin, have you been inside here yet? (It seems you practically live at the Rockaway!)

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 24, 2011 at 7:50 am

how does it compare with the one in rockaway? The one is ok….the seats near the front of screen suck.

Forrest136
Forrest136 on July 24, 2011 at 7:48 am

Uncomfortable seats, rude patrons and nasty personnel , this place stinks!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm

The exterior of this theater is something to behold, unlike the Regal Ewalk theater right across the street.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on May 10, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I like this theater usually a very good presentation.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on May 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I agree saps.

Someday we will tell younger generations about a time when there were 38 screens on 42nd street, across from each other, showing 2D & 3D Hollywood fare, art house, opera, philharmonic concerts, Broadway shows and grind house schlock, all at the same time, to audiences who enjoyed sitting together, albeit in smaller screens than in the heyday of cinema.

Although not the Roxy, this is sure better than Skype. Enjoy it while it is still here.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 10, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Justin, like most (all?) AMC theaters coast-to-coast, all shows here starting before noon are only $6.00. And the regular admission price of $13. is not much higher than the usual suburban price (your beloved AMC Rockaway is $11., for example.)

And I’ve never waited on line, especially with about 20 ticket kiosks in the lobby.

So, please…stop in next time you’re in the neighborhood. And once you’re in the door you can wander around nearly at will, checking out the different levels and cinemas. You’ll be glad you did.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm

amazing….I actually go by that theater when I’m in Times Square but never been there due to its expensive prices and long lines…good thing I live near an AMC theater that is not as busy as this one yet has plenty of parking around it compared to parking in a lot then walking all the way to the theater.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on May 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Interesting article on the current AMC with some history of the Empire (and beyond).

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 13, 2010 at 8:14 am

Nice shot above on Oct. 11, 2010.

woody
woody on October 11, 2010 at 3:07 am

seen here in the 20/30’s as the Eltinge Burlesque

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 7, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I agree tinseltoes. Hope the bedbug Empire doesn’t strike back at this theater!!!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 19, 2010 at 12:27 pm

For one day, the theater was closed so that pest control would spray the theater with bug spray. The theater reopened the next day. I also noticed that one of the screens is now an ETX. How is ETX at the theater? I hope ETX comes to Rockaway.