AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 3:20 pm

tinyurl.com/bedbugs25

That one has 4 news articles and one link with the actual picture of a bed bug. (The 2017 one)

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2017 at 3:13 pm

None have proof and different theatres have your petition. What is the proof? All I have ever seen is an insect rash photo that could have occurred anywhere from anything, including hives.

I have no reason to defend AMC, but these stories all seem like nonsense and you should not spread them unless you have first hand knowledge. Theatres in NYC often get fleas and fruit flies. This easily solved by cleaning and pest control, not by renovations.

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Did you read the change.org page? No, not all proof of google came from me. In fact, none of it comes from me. I didn’t even live in NYC before 2014 and reports date back to 2010. I give like 4 different links to news articles and one recent facebook post with proof plus an entire yelp page with bed bug reports in that change.org page. Even in the comments one guy said he got bit last week.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2017 at 2:21 pm

The only reports on google seem to come from you. I worked in the industry for 34 years. In spite of thousands of urban legends and theatre reputations damaged, I never saw a single bed bug in a theatre. I suggest you show proof before starting any new petitions since bed bugs in NYC are rare in October and you may be promoting a silly conspiracy.

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 2:07 pm

First, I don’t think I every asked AMC for a freebie. The first petition was directed at screening organizers, not AMC.

This one is directly at AMC. Regardless whether you pay for a movie or catch it for free, you shouldn’t be getting bed bugs home. It’s a no-brainer that AMC should renovate the Empire 25 or at least alert their customers.

There are A LOT of reports by people of bed bugs there. It’s not a joke anymore.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Oh, wait. It’s you!

digital3d on August 24, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Please consider signing my petition: https://www.change.org/p/get-most-nyc-advance-screening-away-from-amc-34th-st

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Here is the same guy who also claims the AMC 34th street has bed bugs. https://www.change.org/p/get-most-nyc-advance-screening-away-from-amc-34th-st

Perhaps Martin Samoylov is a carier or unhappy that AMC won’t give him freebies every time he complains.

digital3d
digital3d on October 11, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Bed bugs were again reported at this theater. This time the person took pictures of the actual bugs. This is now the 7th year since the bed bug scare for this theater went on the news in 2010. It’s time for AMC Empire 25 to renovate just like AMC Kips Bay 15 and AMC Village 7.

Please consider signing the petition: https://www.change.org/p/amc-entertainment-get-bed-bugs-away-from-amc-empire-25

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 29, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Hmm. Looking at it again with the benefit of being able to pause and take a longer look, perhaps it isn’t the Empire after all.

digital3d
digital3d on September 29, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Here is the commercial for reference: https://youtu.be/456J56tNVnM

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 29, 2017 at 10:38 pm

I like the director’s cut, but I must say the original theatrical narration goes well with the film’s neo-Noir aesthetic.

Also wanted to say that I think the new AT&T iPhone 8 commercial – where the guy buys the new phone for his wife and also buys one on her behalf for himself – was filmed in the balcony area cafe of the Empire. You can see the auditorium dome and glimpses of the proscenium in the background. Sure looks like the Empire, anyway.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 29, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Amen. I liked the theatrical version with the narration that I grew up with on VHS, as well as the director’s cut.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on September 18, 2017 at 12:44 pm

It’s not the original. It’s the lame FINAL CUT of “Blade Runner”. Not worth bothering with.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on September 18, 2017 at 12:21 am

This theater will be one of six screening the IMAX remaster of the original Blade Runner on September 20th. Hopefully they will add a double feature with the sequel or something, but at the moment the IMAX release of that classic is going to be very rare.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 31, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Just posted a photo of the new imax renovation at the Empire. Still haven’t seen a movie in their yet. Just got a quick peak of the auditorium, new seats.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 27, 2017 at 5:24 pm

One of a few theaters in the NYC area that streamed last night’s boxing match to sell out crowds.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 22, 2017 at 11:59 am

Dunkirk is being played in digital liemax as well as regular and dolby cinema.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 8, 2017 at 9:43 am

This theater is jokingly referred to as “AMC Bedbug 25” on social media due to the ongoing bedbug problems at this venue.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 29, 2017 at 8:06 pm

They should install this system in all digital imaxes.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 26, 2017 at 1:21 am

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 5 in IMAX here tonight, and can confirm they installed the new 12 channel sound system. In fact, if you look at the ceiling, you can see the additional speakers with the IMAX logo on them.

In this movie, the overheads were only really used in a few scenes, but was very impressed when they were utilized. And overall from tonight and IMAX laser screenings, I feel this new IMAX sound system can compete with any other sound format I’ve come across.

Also, as previously noted the seats/interior design were improved, and I think the sightlines were as well (in a film like Pirates which uses the full IMAX screen, I remember sometimes the very bottom of the picture would be blocked a bit by the head of someone from the first row before). With the knowledge and expectation that the projector and screen size weren’t changing, I was pretty impressed by the renovation otherwise.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 21, 2017 at 7:01 pm

The size I’ve found online for the IMAX screen is 58 feet by 28 feet, which would mean a 2.07 aspect ratio. It probably was chosen to maximize screen size available in the auditorium, and it actually works better for scope films, but I’d already noticed 1.9 titles seemed slightly cropped here (the size isn’t available online from what I can tell, but I think Kips Bay IMAX is also wider than 1.9, and only Penn Station uses that ratio).

The RPX screen is listed as 60 feet wide, not sure of the height but believe it is slightly bigger than this IMAX overall, though pretty sure this IMAX is still larger than the Dolby Cinema and the standard screens in both Times Square theaters.

Glad to hear that the sound system was updated, as I really like that system and it closes the audio advantage of the Dolby Cinema with Atmos, though obviously Lincoln Square will remain the city’s premier IMAX location.

CHH32
CHH32 on May 21, 2017 at 12:24 pm

I went here to see Alien IMAX, and I went here because this is the only IMAX theater in the city showing Alien and I want to check out the new auditorium.

The interior design(entrance with blue lights, leather seats and IMAX lightening logos) are exactly the same as the Lincoln Square IMAX, and I believe the 12 channels sound system is also installed. And that’s it…Still the old digital projector, the same small screen(roughly the same size as the regular/standard screens(1-12 if I remember correctly and 13 is the RPX) of Regal Ewalk across the street, and I believe it’s not even a standard 1.90:1 IMAX screen, more like a 2.10:1)

Anyway, I’m still happy it got renovated :) But the Dolby cinema here is a better option and cheaper, and the Lincoln Square IMAX is the best option IMO… But right, they may not show the movie you want, just like Alien…

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 17, 2017 at 2:13 pm

They should renovate every non laser imax with reclining seats and reserved seating as imax is the hottest ticket in all of premium cinema. Furious 8 is the widest imax release of all time even though the movie doesn’t fill up the screen, some trailers like transformers have imax footage in it.

poland626
poland626 on April 15, 2017 at 8:14 am

@xbs2034

Seems like just Furious is playing in imax now. Has anyone been here yet since its reopened? I don’t think I can spend $23 for a imax showing when lincoln’s got real laser a few blocks up for just $2 more. Plus the bigger screen. If they’ve figured out laser for small imax’s, that would be fantastic but if it’s just new seats, meh.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on April 12, 2017 at 5:19 pm

The IMAX here has reopened. They are currently mixing in showings of Beauty and the Beast during the day, with the critic’s screenings of Fate of the Furious for NYC being done here in the evening, and then move fully over to featuring Fate of the Furious this weekend.

Does look like the seating has been updated based on Fandango’s charts, not sure how extensive the renovations were overall (I’d guess interior design and sound system overhaul, though probably not IMAX laser in a smaller location yet).