Texas Theatre

231 W. Jefferson Boulevard,
Dallas, TX 75208

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on March 14, 2007 at 10:21 am

Oh, I had the corruption and theft thing figured out a long time back. It was verified, in my mind, by that preposterous little puff piece at the Oak Cliff website claiming that the 1.2 million left over after the initial purchase was spent on a “bare bones” restoration. That may fool laymen, but not anyone who’s been in the movie theatre industry as long as I was. I’m sure that someone now has that new home addition they’d been thinking of, someone else added that new family room they’d been talking about, someone else dug that swimming pool they’d been dreaming of and etc., etc. There should be a complete and thorough investigation made (that is if anyone has the moral backbone for it).

DonLewis
DonLewis on March 14, 2007 at 8:44 am

Greetings DanW. Having lived in the Dallas metroplex for 10 years and now in a suburb I can confirm that you have figured the Dallas city government out. They cant get anyting done due to numerous internal problems and corruption. They could have even gotten the new stadium that Jerry Jones is building for the Cowboys but would not even talk to him.(They were able to approve a homeless shelter downtown next to a high rise luxury condominium).

There was talk of saving the TEXAS when I first moved here. I suspect the theater will never brought back and we will never know where that money went.

Don

JohnMessick
JohnMessick on March 13, 2007 at 11:49 am

Thanks Lost Memory for the information

JohnMessick
JohnMessick on March 13, 2007 at 10:37 am

Correct me if I am wrong. Didn’t Howard Hughes build this theater when he owned RKO studio’s? Or was it another theater he built?

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on March 13, 2007 at 9:36 am

If there are money problems it’s most likely because what money there was has been stolen. I repeat again, there is NO way that a million dollars was spent on this building. Not even if every single wire and every single pipe in the whole place had been replaced in the so-called “bare bones” restoration. I guarantee you that it was stolen. I bet the ONLY money that was spent on the place was the money Oliver Stone spent on it himself when he used the building to film “JFK”.

Jeanette Crumpler
Jeanette Crumpler on March 13, 2007 at 9:20 am

The Texas Theatre was an atmospheric designed inside. It had sillouettes of Spanish looking buildings all around the sides and a “sky” above. When you first went in, the “sky” would begin to darken, then turn to twilight then dark. Stars would appear and a machine called a Brenograph would project clouds across the sky. When the theatre first opened, a 2 keyboard/6 rank (72 pipes in each rank) Barton Theatre Pipe organ was installed in 1931 from the Midway Theatre down the street. The organ was finally taken out and sold to a individual and is now gone. More than 10,000 theatre organs were in theatres just in the United States alone. Now only about 200 are left in the US and most not in a theatre. Also still on the roof of the Texas is the #1 Hughes air conditioning system. It was manufactured by Howard Hughes' father’s company. Weldon Flanagan, the Palace Theatre organist for 20 years, also played the Barton in the Texas in the 1950s some. He showed the present owners where the “Spanish village” buildings were behind the stuccoed walls on the sides of the theatre. It still isn’t restored and there are more money problems. Doubtful if it will ever be a movie theatre, mostly it will be a community theatre setting, so I’ve been told.
Nettie in Dallas.

Patsy
Patsy on March 2, 2007 at 6:52 am

This theatre has historical value and should be restored though it is sad history resulting in the death of President Kennedy.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 1, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Here is another photo of the Texas:

texas25th
texas25th on February 4, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Here are 1991 & 2000 photos of the Texas with the marquee missing!

DonLewis
DonLewis on January 10, 2007 at 5:52 pm

A purchased photo of the TEXAS THEATER probalby taken around Christmas 1932.

www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/353318620

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on December 15, 2006 at 6:47 pm

I’d still like to know what happened to the 1.2 million restoration dollars left over from the $1.6 million grant after the theatre was purchased.

Patsy
Patsy on December 15, 2006 at 6:26 pm

A theatre with much infamous Oswald history!

blackiemonty
blackiemonty on August 24, 2006 at 8:03 pm

When were those sign photos taken?

I think the seat is to indicate the location of LHO when captured. It is obvious the material is different from the adjacent seats.

DonLewis
DonLewis on August 24, 2006 at 7:42 pm

My photographs of the TEXAS and TEXAS sign www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/224125426/
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/224127947/ before the classic neon and what was almost certainly porcelain enamel covered steel marquee was done away with. Also note the same irreverant treatment fot the stars in TEXAS sign, neon gone and paint over wonderful artwork and colors. This is Dallas at its best. If there aint money in it, they aint in to it. Dallas is much more into paving than preservation. See another good example, CASA LINDA THEATER.

And by the way if anyone out there beleives that the picture from one of the previous postings is of the actual theater seat that Lee Oswald sat in, please get in touch with me I have some of his stuff for sale.

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on July 24, 2006 at 9:17 pm

I visited the website indicated above by Mark Krefft. They’re claiming that a million dollars has already been spent on this house. !!!??? I don’t think so. No way. Like I said, I was in the movie theatre business for 29 years; I know what a million dollar theatre looks like, believe me. This house? There’s just no way. Where did that 1.2 million dollars that was left over after the initial purchase disappear to? There’s nothing in this house; it’s an empty shell. A million dollars? No way.

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on June 30, 2006 at 8:36 pm

I was in the movie theatre business for twenty-nine years. I looked in the doors of this theatre and I’m pretty sure that nowhere near $1.6 million worth of work has been done in, on or to this theatre.

Patsy
Patsy on June 30, 2006 at 8:11 pm

And after reading about the restoration plans and money amounts, I, too, wonder what happened to all of the money that was slated for the renovation project? Perhaps the person who posted this theatre, Dan Pierce, might know.

Patsy
Patsy on June 30, 2006 at 8:09 pm

After the June 5th photos I can’t believe that the City of Dallas wouldn’t have saved this theatre and at the very least made it into a museum/theatre.

Patsy
Patsy on June 30, 2006 at 8:06 pm

This theatre should be restored and open as it is part of very important history that took place in November of 1963.

danwhitehead1
danwhitehead1 on June 30, 2006 at 3:17 pm

I was by this theatre just this past Monday (26JUN06). It still isn’t open. I wonder what happened to all the money?

Patsy
Patsy on May 30, 2006 at 8:53 pm

The vintage photo shows a beautiful marquee and vertical TEXAS sign which was sadly changed!

Patsy
Patsy on May 30, 2006 at 8:50 pm

I recently saw a program on the History Channel about the assassination of President Kennedy and had forgotten that Oswald had been captured in a movie theatre. I didn’t catch the name of the theatre so decided to go through the list of theatres in Dallas and by chance found the correct one, the Texas Theater! The May 19th vintage photo is really interesting to view…sorry to read that the cost would not allow the restoration of the exterior to be returned to the 1930’s look! Interesting to read that the LHO seat is still intact and that the manager of the nearby shoe store saw LHO enter the theatre without paying for a ticket!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 24, 2006 at 6:23 pm

There was a shoe store next to the theater in 1963. The store manager saw LHO enter the theater without buying a ticket and called the police. To date, the manager has not been linked with the Mafia, CIA, Cubans, Freemasons, PTA or any other shadow groups.

blackiemonty
blackiemonty on October 15, 2005 at 6:27 am

I visited the Texas Theater in August 2005 and was able to tour the interior which is under renovation. The upper balcony seats have been removed, the first level seats including the seat Lee Harvey Oswald was captured in are still in place. The whole place is rather dusty and appears to have been vacant for quite some time.

The exterior sign (in place during the 60’s) is in bad shape. Hopefully, the restoration will proceed.