Byrd Theatre

2908 W. Cary Street,
Richmond, VA 23221

ghamilton
ghamilton on March 10, 2005 at 8:17 pm

By the way,does anyone know what will become of the lovely old theater in Tappahanock?I think I spelled it wrong.It is a handsome bldg.Too nice to waste.It was sad when that lovely theater on Forest Hill closed.Lucky thing about Richmond is the availibilty of the really fine volume on the theater history of the area.Barnes and Noble has it.The Venus still stands on Hull St.Is that the saddest street you’ve ever seen?The great theater still standing empty and in fine shape on Broad begs to be saved.One old theater West of the BLVD & Broad intersection is being used as a camera store.WHY no mention in the listings for the Mosque(Richmond’s Landmark Theater)????It must have been the largest theater ever in Richmond.

ghamilton
ghamilton on March 10, 2005 at 8:13 pm

ghamilton
ghamilton on March 7, 2005 at 7:41 pm

People cry over the demise of REAL: theaters,weeping and howling,but it’s a rare house that closed with crowds being turned away.Support the Byrd or lose it.Richmond has lost so many great theaters.By the way,I never heard a word when the oldest theater in VA,in downtown Frdericksburg was destroyed a few years ago.It’s across the street and down from a much larger theater that is being used as a church.I remember meeting the owner of the Old theater(he also owned car dealerships)at the theater.He told me he would never allow anything to happen to his historical treasure.What happened?Did he pass away?

Patsy
Patsy on March 2, 2005 at 10:00 pm

Just watched Food Nation with Bobby Flay and he was in Richmond VA. He told us about some great restaurants there, but we know there are 2 great theatres there, too…..thanks to CT.

Patsy
Patsy on February 13, 2005 at 11:28 am

My neighbors have their parents visitng from Richmond VA this weekend so needless to say I have informed them of their 2 special theatres..this one and the Carpenter PAC both built in 1928! It is really quite something to have 2 beautiful theatres in a city the size of Richmond.

Patsy
Patsy on February 11, 2005 at 8:42 pm

“…..its own Wurlitzer (which is still in use and plays every Saturday night).” What a wonderful thing to read about this theatre and what it offers the residents of Richmond.

Patsy
Patsy on February 11, 2005 at 8:39 pm

Martha: Interesting that you note about a bowling alley in the basement as my hometown theatre was to have had a bowling alley, but that may have only been a rumor in regards to my theatre.

Patsy
Patsy on February 11, 2005 at 8:36 pm

The City of Richmond is so very lucky to have 2 beautiful theatres and one of them is an atmospheric that is being restored! Consider yourself lucky, Richmond!

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 10, 2005 at 10:03 am

What a splendid survivor this theater is! And what an excellent web site its operators have provided, so that those of us who live in places where theaters such as this no longer exist, or never did, can get a glimpse of what a functioning movie palace that is properly cared for can still be. The citizens of Richmond are very fortunate not to have lost this treasure.

brushwood
brushwood on December 2, 2004 at 6:50 pm

I am an out-of-towner that came here from Washington DC. You can make your own good time here with friends so I believe Camden missed out on a lot. The only thing that is really missing here in this wonderful city (besides good management, which is changing) is a selection of good FM radio stations. The Byrd is one of those treasures that is so magnificent that you can’t believe it was open to the general public – surely it must have been for the elite only.
The main chandelier alone is priceless – well, hundreds of thousands anyway! The organ, the classic preview, the ‘flappers’ at the fountain, the incredible curtain….what a pride and joy for this city. Thanks and come see it! Bill

Jennalea
Jennalea on November 24, 2004 at 9:13 am

The Byrd theatre does not go to waste! I’m glad it is right here in Richmond and not in NYC! Not only do they offer second run movies for cheap but the discerning Richmond audience enjoys special viewings of classics such as Harold Lloyd silent films with live accompaniment and most recently, a showing of “Some Like It Hot” with Tony Curtis giving a talk prior to the show – what a great night!

123456
123456 on November 17, 2004 at 12:33 pm

i am doing a paper on the byrd, so if anybody has some interesting stories, could you please post them (and note that i can use it in my paper) thanks very much!
—123456

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 19, 2004 at 3:17 pm

Why can’t each large town or city at least restore one movie palace like the Byrd for movies? Its seating capacity is perfect not to large for todays economics. The AFI helps restore film, well it would be great is something was created and funded to help restore some of these theatres for movies and not just Performing Art Centers.brucec

Camden
Camden on July 21, 2004 at 12:27 pm

Don’t miss the Byrd’s official website. It is just incredible.

Camden

Camden
Camden on July 17, 2004 at 6:16 pm

Yeah, two dollars now probably isn’t that much different from a dollar back then. The Byrd Theatre’s official website is the largest and most ornate and informative of any theatre’s that I’ve ever seen on the internet. It’s so large and complex, covering every single detail of the theatre that anyone could possibly think of, that it has to be seen to be believed. After a couple of hours on that site, I couldn’t believe how much I’d learned about the Byrd, a place I went to for years.

It’s a shame the theatre isn’t here in New York City, where it could serve a more discerning population and wouldn’t more or less go to waste.

Camden

decafdyke
decafdyke on July 17, 2004 at 10:45 am

it’s two dollars now, but the byrd is still a great place to see a movie (and as camden said, a couple hours' respite from the rest of richmond can be a very good thing).

Camden
Camden on July 1, 2004 at 3:26 pm

The Byrd in Richmond was magnificently restored about ten or fifteen years ago and now runs second-run movies for a dollar a ticket. Along with Hollywood Cemetery and Joe’s Inn on Shields Avenue in the Fan, it’s one of Richmond’s few treasures. Don’t miss catching a movie here if you ever happen to find yourself enduring Richmond.

Camden

jsale
jsale on March 2, 2004 at 8:17 pm

Martha — please contact me. I’m researching the Arlington Theatre, which is apparently one of the last projects your grandfather worked on. Would love to learn more about it.

TedDann
TedDann on September 17, 2002 at 8:36 pm

A retired projectionist has just stumbled on your site, its content is fascinating, very informative and so well presented. Congratulations to all concerned in the construction and the presentation of Cinema Treasures.
best wishes, Ted dann.
Somerset England.

MarthaTillmanBrown
MarthaTillmanBrown on March 12, 2002 at 10:57 pm

My name is Martha Tillman Brown. My grandfather was Fred A. Bishop the architect of the Byrd Theatre. I remember the theatre, and the bowling alley in the basement I believe. I would be delighted to hear more about the Byrd, my grandfather, and anything else he designed. I remember his home then in the country in Richmond. I remember it as a stone house with a spring house at the river or large creek on the property. There was a black Walnut tree in front.

Please let me hear. Thanks!

JayniePoole
JayniePoole on January 17, 2002 at 9:36 am

Hi, My name is Jaynie. My grandfather was William Byrd from Polasky Va. He was a twin and had 17 brothers and sisters. He had 8 children of his own and 2 of them were sons named Robert William and Richard Byrd. Id like to talk with anyone who may have some history on the Byrd family. Just feel we are related somehow. Im a country singer and they all call me the singin' songbird!! hope to hear from anyone who would have any information. I came across your web site after looking into historical theatres which I love. Thanks
Jaynie Poole