Granada Theater

6427 N. Sheridan Road,
Chicago, IL 60626

Gwenney
Gwenney on May 18, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Fond memories of both the Granada and the Aragon. My kind of town.
To MPGLEFIN The artist you are looking for, if your still looking is Jim Annis. They just don’t build them like these anymore.

LuisV
LuisV on April 7, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Hi Geo, good to have you back! As I posted above, I grew up attending The Valencia and I’ve attended films in the newly restored Jersey. I still haven’t been to The Paradise and The Loews 175th St (though still technically a church) is very much one of New York’s premier concert facilities. The one black eye has been the sad state of Loew’s Kings in Brooklyn. However, a lot is going on behind the scenes there and I would ask you to go to the Kings CT page to see my post there about today’s tour of the theater for developers interested in restoring the city! I was there and it was exciting to finally see some real movement on restoring one of the nation’s most beautiful and opulent palaces ever constructed!

jukingeo
jukingeo on April 7, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Hello guys been a while since I been here, so I have some catching up to do.

Luis V.

I guess we cleared up that above. Yes, I do recommend visiting the Loews Wonder Theatres. There are three more as well, one is in Brooklyn…The Kings (I believe), The 175th st Manhattan, and the Jersey City theater. All are still standing and all except the Brooklyn are still being used. Both the Jersey City and Paradise continue operation as a Theatre. The 175th st Theatre and the Valencia are run by a churches.

Life’s Too Short:

A while back I think I did post a link to a picture here of the Granada with its original Marquee.

Look through it. Email me if you can’t find it, I can’t post a picture here. But I have one with the original Marquee lit at night. It should be in the discussion on the Styx Paradise Theatre album cover I did a while back.

BW Chicago:

That IS a nice aerial shot. In the picture, it would have looked like the Granada had a nice parking lot if it wasn’t for that road wasting all that good space there. To bad the neighborhood soured. To bad the building couldn’t be moved :(. But it was a building worth saving. The Granada is one of my favorite theatre buildings.

Geo

MKuecker
MKuecker on April 7, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Thanks BWChicago :)
I guess that was from the original GoogleEarth huh? :)
Evanstone Ave? Which was Evanstone? The curved street just off the motorway?

Broan
Broan on April 7, 2008 at 11:55 am

Here is an aerial image

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 21, 2008 at 1:37 pm

That is the first picture I have ever seen of the original vertical sign from the north. As fantastic as it must have been, I can’t help but notice how much it blocks the facade from view. The Granada’s facade is the definitely the greatest example of terra cotta workmanship I have ever seen firsthand.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 19, 2008 at 7:19 pm

With regard to screen captures, I’ve usually used print screen (sometimes from a full screen, if the size of the image requires it), and then saved the file to my default image viewer program, which is IrfanView. I might try MWSnap myself, though, as I like the idea of being able to edit a capture prior to saving it, rather than after, as I must do in IrfanView. Thanks, BW.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 19, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Thanks. I downloaded the program, let me see if I can make it work.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on January 2, 2008 at 8:38 am

The San Francisco Fox is also one of the greatest movie palaces ever built. The Paramount in Oakland is also an Art Deco masterpiece.brucec

LuisV
LuisV on January 2, 2008 at 8:08 am

Hi Geo, I totally agree with you! I think Radio City is spectacular, but I don’t think that you could fairly compare it to theaters like the Uptown or The Roxy. I too find these theaters much more elaborate than Radio City. That is why I have to put Radio City in its own category.

I do plan on touring th Loew’s Paradise in The Bronx as you suggest. I’m facinated by Loew’s Wonder Theaters. Loew’s Valencia was one of my neighborhood theaters growing up and is an increbuly beautiful structure. I had a chance to tour Loew’s King’s last winter and even in its decayed state, it is one of the most beautiful theaters I have ever seen. I’ve attended a film at the renovated Loew’s Jersey and was very impressed. I’m very much looking forward to taking the tour of The Paradise in the Spring and finally visitng Loew’s 175th Street which has become a big concert venue.

jukingeo
jukingeo on January 2, 2008 at 6:42 am

Hello LuisV,

I take it you were aiming that at me since I made the comparisons of the three. I believe the words I used above were ‘more elaborate’…in which case both the Roxy and Uptown ARE more elaborate than Radio City. But then again both the Roxy and Uptown are more elaborate styles. Going by Genre now, yes, Radio City it at it’s very best in reference to the Art Deco style…which is plainer than the styles of the other two theatres. You simply must see interior pictures of the Uptown to understand what I am referring to.
I am NOT saying that Radio City isn’t a beautiful theatre. But if you do try to compare it to the Roxy or Uptown in terms of how elaborate the decor is…there is no comparison. Radio City has and always will be a favorite theatre of mine. So will the others, even though I never been to them. If you are from the NYC neck of the woods, the recently restored Loews Paradise in the Bronx is a definite must see.

JG

LuisV
LuisV on January 1, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I just want to comment on the statements above as to which theater was more beautiful: The Uptown, Radio City or The Roxy. I’ve thought about that many times and I just can’t compare Radio City (which is Art Deco and dates from the 30’s) to The Roxy and The Uptown (which date from the 20’s and were Spanish Designs). They are just too different in style to properly compare. They are all the best of their class and so I chose not to choose. I have not had the opportunity to visit either The Uptown or The Roxy so I can only go by the pictures I’ve seen on CT. As such, I think it is an incredible draw between the two. Radio City stands in an Art Deco league of its own. Another contender would be the Art Noveau masterpiece New Amsterdam Theater on 42nd St; another theater with no equal.

jukingeo
jukingeo on November 13, 2007 at 4:56 am

Hello IM,

I would love to see the house, but I now have twin baby boys to attend to. So traveling will probably be out for the next 5 to 6 years.

As for the Uptown…I think if a good plan for parking is implented that would give the Uptown a serious support boost. This way if there is a good place for people to park, then more then likely the would sell out more seats.

Buildings like this are dwindling in numbers and it is extremely rare to find something of this size still in restorable shape. I too, am hoping for the best.

JG

MKuecker
MKuecker on November 12, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I am interested in a tour of the SanFillippo house. How do I get on the list? :)

IMRadioactive
IMRadioactive on October 29, 2007 at 9:04 am

Greetings,

Geo,

Actually I believe the ultimate reason for the Granada’s demise was how valuable the land had become…especially to Loyola University. In the late 70’s, the block around the theater had some head shops and a bar (Huey’s, if I’m not mistaken) that the University wanted to see those places gone.

If you’re interested in the San Fillippo house tour, it’s part of the yearly meeting of the Midwest chapter of the Music Box Society…they usually hold that tour/meeting in May. If you have a few music boxes in your possession, it might be worth joining. It’s a fascinating group of people.

Here’s hoping the Uptown is rehabilitated to its past glory. I saw several movies and concerts there in the 60’s and 70’s and remember how it anchored the Uptown area. This gem needs to be saved.

Cheers…

goldylocks
goldylocks on October 29, 2007 at 6:32 am

Hi Geo,

Yes, I’m aware of the Uptown and its possible demise I signed the petition and I hope they are able to save it somehow, but I wouldn’t hold my breath because most of our great city leaders are into profiting for themselves rather than preserving artistic history. Short results seem to outweigh long term goals and we loose alot of beautiful history because of it.I use to love to ride the bus from my far northside neighborhood to the Uptown and see the many Horror flicks they played it was really an adventure for me,although I didn’t know it at the time I was really lucky to have that.debear

jukingeo
jukingeo on October 29, 2007 at 5:09 am

Hello Debear:

That is why it is all important to rally together and save what palaces we can. In your neck of the woods that would be the Uptown. The Uptown is very close in styling as to the Granada.

The trouble is the much of the area around the Uptown needs to be improved. Parking for on is an issue. But in the case of the Uptown it is worth it. Because of it’s large size the Uptown could very easily be Chicago’s Radio City. It is, in fact physically larger than Radio City (but not exeeding it’s capacity).

I think the biggest problem facing old theatres today is either a lack of a defined use, parking issues, and depressed downtown areas. Many old towns are reforming and trying to rebuild their downtown areas so that is a help. With gas prices rising, people are going to
turn to local entertainment again. The big issue is parking and this is one of the things the Uptown faces.

The Granada, unfortunately, was in a depressed area and faced the other problems I mentioned above. Sadly that has sealed it’s fate.

The famous Chicago Paradise does have a sister, the Loews Paradise in
the Bronx. It’s future was very grim until several groups of people got together and saved it and restored it. Granted it isn’t like the
Chicago Paradise, but it does share some of it’s styling. It is, of course, a John Eberson Atmospheric…my favorite :).

Geo

goldylocks
goldylocks on October 28, 2007 at 11:30 pm

I was heartbroken when they torn down the Granada theater I grew up seeing many movies there and the Devon as well.Sonny and Cher made a rare appearance there in person after their movie showed . I loved the little popcorn shop next door to it, which had real butter and cheese popcorn .I hold alot of wonderful memories of it, what a treat getting to see a James Bond movie like “Goldfinger "in such a grand palace! debear

jukingeo
jukingeo on September 26, 2007 at 5:28 am

Hello all,

Wow! You learn something new everyday! I never heard about this place before. Shame on me! But I am happy to see that at least some parts of the Granada was saved to create this magnificent home.

What more is that my interests are nearly identical to Sanfilippo. I too love carousels, jukeboxes, antique radios, victrolas, organs, band organs, steam trains, old cars, old ships (I am a Titanic historian and have been recently researching both the Lucitania and the Normandie).

I think I would have a blast going through this home. I too have a small collection of my interests, but alas I have no where near the buying power of Sanfilippo. If I did, though, I think I would get my theatre first :).

Geo

IMRadioactive
IMRadioactive on September 25, 2007 at 11:19 pm

Yes, that’s the one…an incredible place to visit. I’ve had the chance to see the collection and climb around the organ. All the instruments have been carefully restored and include the histories of each piece.

The organ room is something else…it includes a balcony with old theater seating and old lightbulbs all around that pulse to the music. Several recordings are available.

Here is page that has some info on the house: View link

The home is open to various collector groups and words can’t describe all the stuff that’s inside.

PGlenat
PGlenat on September 25, 2007 at 8:50 pm

IMRadioactive: By any chance would you be referring to the Sanfilippo residence? If so, recordings exist of that Wurlitzer hybrid organ which is housed in a specially built room that was added to the home. There is also a proscenium arch in the room with a replica of the Paradise theatre stage curtain.

IMRadioactive
IMRadioactive on September 25, 2007 at 6:59 pm

Greetings All…

I also grew up in West Rogers Park and went to many shows at the Grenada and Nortown.

The exterior of the Grenada, or a good part of it still exists. It was incorporated into a home near Barrington. This home belong to a noted collector who has an incredible collection of old phonographs, victrolas, moviolas, music boxes, band organs and more. His living room is a full-size theater organ (many parts restored from former movie theater and radio station organs).

Unfortunately, the home isn’t open to the public, but my hopes are someday this home will become a musuem since the collection inside is one of the finest in the world.

I took some pictures of the home earlier this year and will post them if people are interested.

Cheers…

rvalleau
rvalleau on September 21, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Hi Ellen,

Your pretty good with the dates. I definitely loved the movies they had at the Granada. Memorized a lot of dialog from the movies I worked for then. Feel free to contact me through my email. No need to bore everyone here with tales of the past.

EllenD
EllenD on September 21, 2007 at 9:19 am

Bob V.

Well, fancy meeting you here, of all places, after 40+ years! If memory serves, don’t you more or less hold the Granada’s record for “Most Viewings of 1963’s ‘Tom Jones’” (starring Albert Finney and Susannah York)?

Ellen D.