Loew's Pitkin Theatre

1501 Pitkin Avenue,
Brownsville,
Brooklyn, NY 11212

Yves Marchand
Yves Marchand on March 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Douglas, can I ask you how you got inside ?
I would love to have the oportunity to photograph it before its conversion into apartments.

creativa
creativa on March 20, 2009 at 3:32 pm

the loew’s pitkin is now slated to be a subsidized unit for over 60 families

sylvia schildt

Denpiano
Denpiano on March 16, 2009 at 5:55 am

I loved this theatre, growing up withit. what a sad state of affairs, wish some millionaire woul rebuild it&use it for local talent shows like they do with the Appollo, butthats just daydreaming
I now live in new hyde park&sometimes I go to a coffee shop across
from th Floral theatre, they made that a catering hall,its sad, you still see the building must have been quite lovely at one time, ah,I’m outta here

Denpiano
Denpiano on March 10, 2009 at 11:07 am

is the old marquee still under all the covering? does anyone know?
please forgive my spelling as I can only type with one nand since my stroke. Dennis

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on February 23, 2009 at 1:53 pm

The Liberty Theatre did show movies in the later 1920’s early 1930’s and I have added it to its own page on Cinema Treasures. Thanks to J.F. Lundy for bringing the Liberty Theatre to our attention.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Thanks, HerbS. That would explain why Watkins Street in Brownsville has gone the way of Turnbull Avenue in Flatlands / Canarsie (East 105th St. station on the L line).

HerbS
HerbS on February 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm

My guess is that the Liberty Theatre only had live shows perhaps Burlesque or live Yiddish plays like the Parkway (Rolland) on Eastern Parkway. It is the policy of Cinema Treasures not to list theatres that did not show motion pictures. At one time this site had the Parkway Theatre with some posts of mine but it was removed when they learned that it was not a motion picture house. I’m assuming the same format was at the Liberty. By the way, Liberty Av & Watkins Street in Brownsville has been in the confines of the Howard Houses since the early 1950’s.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 23, 2009 at 10:33 am

Thanks, ziggy. I’ll tell my dad what Norton said. My dad still pronounces Loew’s as “Loweez”, too, same as Ed Norton.

J.F.Lundy, Liberty Avenue is still there. I’m not sure about Watkins Street. This may be a clue to another (to me) mystery :

Where was Liberty Pool ? I only know it was somewhere in Brownsville or East New York.

jflundy
jflundy on February 23, 2009 at 10:03 am

I find a Liberty Theater that was located about 10 blocks away from the Pitkin’s location listed in the 1928 Brooklyn Red Book. The address given is Liberty Avenue and Watkins Street. Google indicates that these streets no longer exist on the grid. Does this Liberty Theater appear under another name on this site ?

Ziggy
Ziggy on February 16, 2009 at 10:17 am

I was watching an episode of “The Honeymooners” last night. There was one scene where Ralph and Norton were in a Park Avenue apartment, which prompted Norton to comment that it was “almost as pretty as the lobby of Loew’s Pitkin!”

Of course, Norton pronounced Loew’s “Loweez”

GeorgeTobor
GeorgeTobor on December 12, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Indeed that is a marvelous photograph. Perhaps someone would know when the photograph was taken.
George

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on December 12, 2008 at 1:48 pm

There is more left than I would have thought. The sky is gone, but it looks like the “castle” plaster work is more or less still there. I would think the sky would be the easier of the two to recreate.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on December 12, 2008 at 1:26 pm

As indeed you should, ziggy. But that’s between you and Mr. R.

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 12, 2008 at 1:24 pm

You’re welcome, but I want to thank Mr. Racioppo for putting the photo on the web. I just wish I could have been looking over his shoulder when he took it.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on December 12, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Surreal ! It looks like a movie set ! Thanks, ziggy.

It also resembles what’s left of the balcony of the RKO Madison in Ridgewood, Queens, above the ceiling of the Liberty Department Store, which currently occupies the street level, orchestra area of what used to be the RKO Madison Theatre (# 4621 on this CT site).

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 12, 2008 at 1:16 pm

My apologies if this has already been posted, but this website has a photo of the ruinous interior of the Pitkin.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 22, 2008 at 6:46 pm

It could have been a live theater or a motion picture theater. I posted here because this theater is also on Pitkin Avenue.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 22, 2008 at 6:34 pm

There was a story in the NYT on Christmas Day, 1921, about a robbery at the Elite Theater, 707 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn. I didn’t see any aka for this. It may be an easy question, but as I’m not from New York I’m curious as to the answer.

FOUR HOLD-UP MEN ROB THEATRE IN BROOKLYN; Owner of the Elite and Woman Cashier Forced to Hand Over $100 and $175 Watch.

Four men held up the owner and cashier of the Elite Theatre, at 707 Pitkin, Brooklyn, last Thursday night, it became known yesterday, and escaped…

LuisV
LuisV on November 17, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Thanks JHB. That’s a great shot of the Loew’s Pitkin under Brownsville II.

JHB
JHB on November 17, 2008 at 12:48 pm

You may be able to find a few pictures of Brownsville at this website.

JHB

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on November 17, 2008 at 7:55 am

Better the exterior only than nothing at all. Such was the case with the RKO Bushwick.

LuisV
LuisV on November 17, 2008 at 7:53 am

I also believe that the exterior will be retained. At this point it is the most we could expect.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on November 17, 2008 at 7:15 am

I would think the first definition, Ed Solero.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 16, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Hmmm. What does “rehabilitation” mean? Does it imply some preservation of the building’s design elements – even if just exterior appointments? Or is the term broad enough to include complete demolition followed by new construction?