Alba Theatre

750 Flushing Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11206

sasheegm
sasheegm on April 23, 2005 at 8:39 pm

Hi BWAY: First; Being a newbie here, I’d like to thank you and the other members for your excellent posts at this website——Usually I only post occasionally at the Classic Cinema sites helping folks find copies of their old-time movie favorites……….Is it possible that this small theater was built prior to 1888?…….I recall that it had an ornate curved marque overhang, which went to the curb, with only maybe 2 feet clearance for the El…..Very small compared to other marques(sorry if I miss-spelled)…..and you had to step up to go inside the theater, with the box office window facing outside under the marque….as a kid, I would have to reach up to pay my 10 cents or 11 cents the cost of admission———-On another note, I remember the Loews Broadway at the corner of Stocton closing down in the mid-50s for renovation———It had a sign outside asking patrons to go to the Gates further up on Broadway…..when it re-opened, they had all new seats & bathrooms—-very plush for a neighborhood theater, and much more modern then the Lowes Gates……Interesting about the Broadway El…..My station was one up from the Myrtle Ave stop, at Central Ave & Wilson——-On those tracks ran the BMT’s Chamber St/Metropolitan line, along with the older wooden gate cars, that were elctric-ized——-they had one sliding door on each end, and then the platform with a Conductor to open the gates to let passengers out———When those old cars ran at rush hour from Metropolitan to Jay St & Fulton, they huffed & puffed to make it up the incline above the Broadway Jamaica stop ay Myrtle——there you could change trains……Heck, for a nickel, you could travel all over the city by transferring from one train to a trolley——and the Broadway & Chambers trains went over the Williamsburg Bridge along with the Trolley that ended its run at Essex St………What a dark and dingy station that was and big since you had both subway trains & the trolleys stopping there——Sorry to get off subject, but memories come back——The Classic film “Naked City”-1948, had some nice shots of the Bridge, the FDR Hwy & its Tennis Courts and the old steel subway cars…..I worked at Domino Sugar from 1959 until 1960….and the memories abound——driving in from Roosevelt, LI was no fun at 5am….many times i would take the LIRR and then switch to the Jamiaca line when my 53 Mercury was laid up——-Thanks for the info BWAY…Too bad we cannot find out when the old Rogers was built———Joe From Floria—-sasheegm—–

Bway
Bway on April 23, 2005 at 8:03 pm

Well, While the Broadway El was rebuilt to heavier standards (for steal subway trains)and to fit three tracks instead of two in 1914, the original Broadway El was built in 1888, so an el has been above Broadway quite a while….

sasheegm
sasheegm on April 23, 2005 at 4:55 pm

I remember a cafeteria there……After we moved to LI in 1959, I would take my Mother to Manhattan Ave to buy material, since she was a custom dressmaker( they had everything there )…and I would walk over to Broadway to see what was left—this is in the 60s….and the Rogers, at the time was closed with a torn poster from a Durango Kid western in its very small lobby………I remember the raised platform in the Alba and wondered how many people fell since you could not see your hand in front of you…..Both the Rogers & Alba were very old in the 50s, so i could only guess as to when they were built——especially the Rogers since the sound-proofing was non-existant, and when the El went by or stopped, you could hear it inside……Plus they had wooden floors & chairs……The concession at the Roers included an old guy selling Ice Cream bars out of a lift freezer & a nickel candy machine…….and why would anyone build a theater right under the El??…..So I would not be suprised if the Rogers was built before the El was——-Oh yes, and both Theaters had pianos just collecting dust in front of their stages……Joe From Florida——sasheegm

Astyanax
Astyanax on April 23, 2005 at 4:24 pm

Yes Joe, I suspect that there was a cafeteria on the corner of Flushing and B'way, across the street from Woolworths. Around the corner on B'way was the Hoi Sang Chinese Restaurant, a great place to stop after the movies.

sasheegm
sasheegm on April 23, 2005 at 8:47 am

Astyanax: Your correct……It was not a corner Theater……and probably the darkest theater inside that I ever went to……..In the 1950s, it seemed very old……………I remember seeing “The Old Dark House” with Boris Karloff there…..and the setting in that theater was perfect, as you could not see anything around you but the screen…..Joe From Florida—-sasheegm

Astyanax
Astyanax on March 29, 2005 at 8:00 pm

The building with the eagle on top is actually on B'way at the corner of Sumner Ave. It was formerly an ornate and lovely Manuyfacturers Hanover Bank and should itself be considered for preservation. At last sighting it had become a Big Daddy’s retail store. The Alba was one block west, fronting on Flushing Ave.

Bway
Bway on March 28, 2005 at 2:24 pm

Orlando, I found a photo of when Woodhull hospital is being constructed, but unfortunately, that won’t help:

Anyway, that’s the earliest photo I could find of that station or location. I wonder if the building on the left of the skeleton of Woodhull could be the theater. As far as I know, that building with the eagle on top no longer exists, as it too is I believe parrt of theh Woodhull complex. Here is another angle of that building taken on the exact same day in April 1972, when the hospital was under construction. I of course have no idea if that is the Alba, it could also be a bank that was demolished:

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 15, 2005 at 11:10 am

Curiously, the latest count here of Brooklyn theatres is 230, the same number listed in the 1943 Film Daily Year Book. Theatres must still be missing, since some of the Brooklyn theatres listed here did not exist in 1943.

Astyanax
Astyanax on December 1, 2004 at 8:38 pm

Was torn down in the mid-60’s for the building of the Woodhull Hospital eyesore. Had been primarily showing Mexican double features, primarily of the Columbia Picture’s mariachi westerns type. Probably a Randforce theater, had been showing sub-run American films until the post-war period. Ornate plaster interior with a large dome ceiling. Instead of a balcony, the theater had a raised seating area with several rows that served as the smoking section; the snack bar, lounge and bathrooms were under this raised platform. The bright marquee illuminated the busy intersection of Broadway & Flushing Ave., usually shadowed by the BMT el tracks of the Jamaica line.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 24, 2004 at 10:40 am

Charles Sandblom was architect of the Alba, which opened in 1928.

Orlando
Orlando on May 6, 2004 at 8:09 pm

This building has been demolished, anyone know of any photos?

William
William on November 14, 2003 at 4:46 pm

This theatre seated 1680 people.