25th Street Theatre

1006 N. 25th Street,
Waco, TX 76707

bsmit328
bsmit328 on February 21, 2007 at 1:19 pm

I would really love to do an article about the 25th St. Theatre. If anyone has any Historical information, personal anecdotes, or anything else that would be useful it would be greatly appreciated. To contact me please email me at

I think it is a shame that this beautiful building has been ignored and allowed to deteriorate as bad as it has. I look forward to hearing from anyone who wants to help.

Thanks,
bryan smith

DonLewis
DonLewis on January 18, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Uncredited night time photo of the 25TH STREET THEATER.

www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/362138857

JV2k4
JV2k4 on December 19, 2006 at 12:10 pm

Folks here is a picture I found online of the Theatre in 1990, June to be exact.

BillFoster
BillFoster on December 16, 2006 at 1:15 am

Check out www.artguildct.org for a view of the theatre painting. Click on gallery, then my name.
Ellen Foster 1-254-756-0347 To see the actual work, call me for an appointment.

BillFoster
BillFoster on November 17, 2006 at 3:52 am

The MCC exhibit will be up until Dec. 5. It can be seen through the windows and is well lighted.
About 30 paintings are on display. Ellen Foster, 756-0347.

JV2k4
JV2k4 on November 11, 2006 at 1:02 pm

I received an informative email today from a lady and thought I would share it with you.

“Hi – You might be interested to know there is
a very fine painting of the Historic 25th St. Theatre
on display right now at MCC, in Waco. It’s in the front
entrance of the Ball Performing Arts Center with
other paintings exhibited by Art Guild of Central
Texas, being shown for a limited time.
For more information call me, Ellen Foster, 756-0347.”

mebryan
mebryan on August 28, 2006 at 3:37 pm

Save the club! I am the last voice you will ever hear. Dont be alarmed! Tell Rob Bob to get off of his isolated new life and break the silence and say hello. I hope the new hurricanes do not hit him.

Matt

DonLewis
DonLewis on July 24, 2006 at 4:52 pm

My photograph of the lonely 25th STREET THEATER View link

racegirl8
racegirl8 on June 29, 2006 at 8:15 am

WOW! Can’t believe it’s been 13yrs since I last stepped foot inside the 25th St Theatre! Amazing how time has flown! All the memories and fun I had there with all the wonderful people and several friends I made who always welcomed me with acceptance! Every Saturday I could be found there at 25th just dancin the night away under the awesome light show and dance tunes. Several of you might remember me as I hung around a couple of girls who were regulars there. They dressed similarly as I followed suit in the traditional gothic style of black attire and black bob hairstyle. Their names were Spyder and Paisley. I wasn’t as popular as they were but managed to befriend them somehow…and make friends with other popular folks. I think one of the only things that separated me from lots of people in there was the fact I didn’t engage in specific scrupulous activities which I am thankful for! Other than that, I participated in local sofa conversations in the girls restroom area often. Then usually, I’d hear one of my favorite songs come on like “Dance to the Beat” or “Holy Noise”…I’d be up in a flash and tear across the room just to find my way to the checkered dance floor as happy as pig in slop! And my apologies for anybody who got shoved in my path as I ripped through people like a tornado. Of course once in awhile, I’d find an empty pool table (usually at the back)if the dance floor was too crowded and make my own room on it! Sometimes I had a friend join me. Some of you might remember a certain guy who was a Saturday regular there and a good friend of mine. His name was Jon Tremont…worked for (what was)Cablevision. He used to park his red Pontiac Trans-Am around the back of the theatre next to the curb in the street (on MC’s side of 25th building). OH, can’t forget about the sweet orange cat that graced the ticket booth area with his presence where Big Richard sat to take admission. He knew how to greet everybody by putting a smile on our faces. On occasion, he’d prance around the front bar area letting us all know that animals enjoy clubbin too! Although I was underage at the time (age 16 to be exact)I went to 25th, Big Richard was kind enough to allow me entrance inside so I could enjoy myself and have a blast! There was NEVER a dull moment from the first time I stepped foot into the club to the last night I went. I’ll never forget the many pairs of shoes I wore holes in dancing under Mousey’s light show and dance tunes producing enough sweat to flood the whole entire theatre! Thanks Little Richard for all the cherished memories you helped me create. You will NEVER EVER be forgotten and your legacy will live on! If anybody would be interested in contacting me, please feel free to do so. My e-mail is: or I have some photos I took inside 25th back in 1990-91 that I will post on here soon. Hope everyone is doing well! Julie Scorza in West
posted by Julie Scorza on Jun 26, 2006 at 8:31pm

JV2k4
JV2k4 on June 21, 2006 at 1:32 pm

NEWS FROM DALLAS………At 4pm a fire destroyed the historic ARCADIA Theatre in Dallas.

JV2k4
JV2k4 on May 23, 2006 at 2:31 pm

O.K. All you so called 25th Street Theatre Buffs, who can answer these trivia questions and name the songs/artist the verses are from.

1. What stood where the Theatre now stands before construction began in 1944?

2. “Walking in a strange light, looking at the walls, The walls are getting higher and I think they’re gonna fall, They’re gonna fall down over me, crush me till I scream……”

3. What movie played 14 weeks in the summer of 1977?

4. “If people say I bad then promise you ignore them, my kisses are exclusive, noone can afford them.”

5. What brand and capacity were the hoist that handled the main light show?

6. “Brought to you by the United States Air Force.”

7. What were the dimensions for the dance floor?

8. “Once I had a vision of you and me and our……”

9. What was the date the Theatre/ Club closed for good?

10. “If you need a friend, dont look to a stranger. You know in the end, I’ll always be there…..”

11. What song received the most airplay and could be defined as “THE SONG OF 25TH STREET”?

12. What business sat directly behind from the Theatre in 1990?

13. “And Gillian will meet me like a brother would. I think I remember but it’s twice as good.
    Like how cool the rum is from a silver tray”

14. What song was playing when the tear gas bomb forced evacuation in September 1989?

15. “But if we should be evicted huh, from our homes, weâ€\ll just move somewhere else and still carry on”

16. “I think about you lately, More than you will ever know, And if you could just forgive me, You know I’d love you so”

17. What was the cover charge for minors and adults?

18. “Turn off the TV, look at a book, Pick up the phone, fix some food, Maybe I’ll sit up all night and day, Waiting for the minute I hear you say”

19. What were the colors of the curtains, both in front and behind the screen?

20. “Sodom and Gomarah let the DJ play, cause I’ll only come tomorrow, and here today…..”

Email me for answers, unless you are a 25th Street “know it all”, like myself.

CHEERS!!!!

rej25th
rej25th on May 19, 2006 at 4:21 pm

the photos submitted by “lost memory” on may 17, 2006, stand as a testament to the final destruction of this building.

please do not destroy the fragile meomory fragments that i possess. i can’t believe that 25th has become the messy hulk that appears in these photographs.

where is the dignity of this grand ol'Lady? let her pass in peace.

president ronald reagan once declared “tear down these walls!”

in the imortal words of FGTH: “it’s enough to make you wonder sometimes if you’re on the right planet … enjoy … i feel … i feel alright … my name’s peirce, my name’s matt, my name’s nash, mine is the last voice you will ever hear, don’t be alarmed!”

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 17, 2006 at 12:18 pm

This is a photo of the 25th Street Theater and here is another.

BillFoster
BillFoster on February 12, 2006 at 6:26 pm

Anything happening now with theatre? I’m waiting to see what happens before I remodel my property next door.

Bill Foster
The Waco Citizen
254 754-3511. waco, tx 76707

JV2k4
JV2k4 on January 10, 2006 at 8:19 pm

Does anyone have any interior photos? Either as a theatre or as a club?

JV2k4
JV2k4 on January 2, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Trust me….when the time comes I will definitly let you know….until then I have to keep things low profile.

Kenna
Kenna on December 27, 2005 at 4:27 am

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas too Jake! I’m on pins wondering what is going on with the theatre. Keep us posted. Rob-Bob, how are you, hope you’re ok?

JV2k4
JV2k4 on December 26, 2005 at 7:04 am

Just wanted to say I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and I hope your New Year is even better……I have a feeling the 25th Street Theatre will be having a great 2006 ….hint, hint.

Kenna
Kenna on November 15, 2005 at 7:49 am

it’s Jake!!!! No wonder the people at Trix had no idea who I was talking about and I thought it was the cherry vodka sours! Glad to hear you are still alive and doing well in Denver. I will gladly write a letter to the editor. Rob-Bob, hope you are doing better than was indicated in your last post, big hug and kiss to you. I’ll try to get some pictures this week but it looks pretty much the same as it does in the pics Ken posted. Still no word from Chris P., if anyone has heard from him, please ask him to get in touch w/ me. I’m still in Waco, working, living, nothing to report. hugs to all!! Kenna

JV2k4
JV2k4 on November 15, 2005 at 7:43 am

Hello everyone!! I would first like to apologize for my own absense, but as a few of you know I have left Waco, and Texas once again to pursue a life in Denver Colorado. If anyone has ever lived in Waco then they can understand why I needed to leave. As for the 25th Street Theatre…..well as I have said before and over and over again, there is something in the works to bring the ole gal back to her former glory. I am still in contact with the folks working on it and when the ball gets rolling will still be very much apart of the process.
Rob-Bob ….where on earth have you been? We have all been worried.
I can understand your grief, because I went through my own for about 7 years after that tragic event. But one day I realized one of Richards favorite sayings was “quit living in the past”, you know what, once again even in death he was right. Remember that you always still have all of the old gang from the 25th as your friends so technically YOU WILL NEVER BE ALONE.
Now if I can ask a favor of all of you, and I will do the same, Everyone should write a letter to the editor of the Waco Tribune-Herald, stating the importance that the theatre has had on our lives, and also the impact it has had on the city of Waco itself. In my opinion the more people show an interest the easier it will be to save it.
The fight is far from over.
Til next time,
Jake

JV2k4
JV2k4 on November 15, 2005 at 7:42 am

Rob-Bob ….where on earth have you been? We have all been worried.
The fight is far from over.
Til next time,
Jake

JV2k4
JV2k4 on November 15, 2005 at 7:41 am

Rob-Bob ….where on earth have you been? We have all been worried.
The fight is far from over.
Til next time,
Jake

mebryan
mebryan on November 12, 2005 at 7:29 am

Ken thank you for providing the photo. Can you possibly take a photo facing the theater directly in the front, and maybe one from the other side where the print shop was.
Thanks,
Matt

mebryan
mebryan on November 11, 2005 at 9:53 am

Many people handle sorrow in may different ways. Some recoupe faster that others. Richard was a mentor to me and help set the standards on how I would run a club and provide entertainment for different generes of club patrons. As your friend I would like you to know that you are not alone. We are all waiting for your to reach out to us and call. Jake, Big Richard, Chris C., Brent along with many others that I have not talked to miss you dearly and are concerned. I have told what I have known about your status from the hurricans on the chat board. Please do not feel like everone is mad at you for they are not. Robert please give me a call so that I can put you in contact with Jake, Chris, and Brent. I have there phone numbers. I pray that you and your father are both doing well. I will always be a freind and family for you, and the others in this life time. Take care and I will be waiting to hear from you! Love your friend Matt Bryan. 314-803-0357