Arion Theatre

73-26 Metropolitan Avenue,
Middle Village, NY 11379

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 31, 2006 at 9:00 am

‘Tonino, go to www.subwaywebnews.com and when the title page appears, click on “Bus Photo of the Day” at left. When that appears, scroll down to the Archives listing and click on “X.” Then scroll down six rows. The photo and summary you want are in the #1 spot at far left.

I haven’t attended either the theater or the restaurant since the mid-‘70s, but I believe they were relatively close, perhaps a few blocks at most. Ciao.

AntonyRoma
AntonyRoma on August 31, 2006 at 6:56 am

“Tonino, aye. True theater historian, present and accounted for.

((For Middle Villagers, Ridgewoodites and Glendalers who used to grab a meal here before or after screenings at the Arion, Ridgewood, Oasis, RKO Madison, Maspeth, Drake or Elmwood Theaters:

Niederstein’s Restaurant closed 2-8-05. The pic was taken before the wrecking ball struck. It’s a fast food joint now.))

Duh, it sure says that Niederstein’s was in the picture to me.!!! And I know who “writted” it.

BUT, I could always rely on lostmemory to provide accurate, as well as informative, information. That’s why I asked if he could verify it.

And I tried available combinations and permutations at ?website’s Archives (under buses), ? ti verify.

Guess I’ll go back to the hockey game now.

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on August 30, 2006 at 7:44 am

Variation on an old joke: I went to a Cinema Treasures fistfight, and a hockey game broke out!

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 30, 2006 at 6:53 am

‘Tonino, if you go to the website’s Archives (under buses), you’ll see that the location was verified in their capsule summary.

“BrooklynJim could use a refresher course in remedial reading. This drivel is enough to cause a true theatre historian to cringe.”

Three days into his CT membership and Art Theatre already displays an all-wise and sarcastic mouth & keyboard. (Sounds as if he could be related to another pedantic, personality-deprived imbecile we know all-too-well. Maybe Lost Memory isn’t the only one who knows how to morph his multiple screen names!)

I wrote that many of us may have eaten at this restaurant “before or after screenings at the Arion, Ridgewood, Oasis…” etc. The place, with a history all its own, is gone forever. Culturally, we tend to mourn theaters no longer there as well as other places associated with those neighborhoods, such as Niederstein’s. But this newbie couldn’t figure that out and went for the cheap shot instead. What did YOU contribute regarding the Arion, Art?

Just more bilge. KMA.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 30, 2006 at 6:18 am

Will the true theatre historians please stand up!

Artie
Artie on August 30, 2006 at 6:07 am

Niederstein’s is a restaurant. This webpage concerns the Arion Theatre. BrooklynJim could use a refresher course in remedial reading. This drivel is enough to cause a true theatre historian to cringe.

mikemorano
mikemorano on August 30, 2006 at 5:38 am

Perhaps your a bit confused. The comment was posted by BrooklynJim. Niederstein’s is closed.

AntonyRoma
AntonyRoma on August 30, 2006 at 5:16 am

And I know this is Niederstein’s restaurant how? Can lostkemory verify this?

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 30, 2006 at 3:38 am

Progress.

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on June 16, 2006 at 10:45 am

Nah, it wasn’t, OldMariner. Lovethoseoldtheaters and I would both quickly add the Arion to the category of dump theaters. Unlike the many films I’d watched at the Peerless of my ‘50s youth, and that was a Class Z dive (“The Itch,” according to my dad), I’d experienced only a few movies at the Arion in Middle Village in the middle '70s.

The Arion could have been a really good neighborhood outlet, and perhaps in its younger days it did serve a good purpose for the kiddies, but what can one say after MV goes and loses the landmark Niederstein’s Restaurant to a blasted fast food corporation, too? Where have the oldtime business values gone?

OldMariner
OldMariner on June 6, 2006 at 2:42 am

I very fondly remember my childhood spent in MV and the Arion movie house was a big part of my memories. I went there in the forties and fifties and remember that children’s admission was 25 cents and on weekdays it was 11 or 12 cents. Most candy was 6 cents. There were many times directly from school (PS 87) I would go to the movies to watch such films (as I remember) Sunset Blvd, Boris Karloff/Bela Lugosi horror ones, Lon Chaney Jr Wolf Man films, etc.

I’m sorry to read above that in it’s latter day it wasn’t kept up well.

PKoch
PKoch on May 15, 2006 at 1:57 am

Lost Memory, I too remember Topo Gigio on the Ed Sullivan Show, and, through my dad and an older friend, learned of his predecessor, Senor Wences.

The Arion was a Jamron Drugs store in the latter 1980’s before it became a Genovese. Same difference, huh ?

For some reason, I posted my Arion Theater movie memories on the pages of other theaters, probably mostly the Cinemart.

AnthonyS1957
AnthonyS1957 on May 14, 2006 at 10:56 am

Robert R. I love your JPEG’s of old Newspaper movie ads. Hab]=ve any more?

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 1, 2005 at 5:49 pm

The comments above confirm my memories of the Arion having that round plaster ornamental thing on the ceiling. But as I posted under the Drake, I’m pretty sure there was also plenty of peeling paint — which, considering all the other comments here, seems quite in character.
And “JakeGittes” — great name! But I saw Chinatown at the Elmwood — at least, the second time. I can’t remember where I saw it the first time. It’s possible we went ALL THE WAY OVER to Bayside to the Bay Terrace, as my father was sometimes wont to do…

RobertR
RobertR on July 31, 2005 at 9:18 am

Summer 1967 “Zhivago” on a neighborhood run

RobertR
RobertR on July 26, 2005 at 1:00 am

This neighborhood run ad for “2001” saluted the astronauts of Apollo 10

RobertR
RobertR on July 24, 2005 at 10:57 am

I can’t believe but I actually remember seeing this re-issue of “Oliver” at the Arion instead of the Oasis because the Arion paired it with “The Trouble With Angels” and the Oasis had it with a western.

JakeGittes
JakeGittes on July 13, 2005 at 1:51 pm

I remember playing Saturday Night Fever with Looking for Mr Goodbar
as a double feature at the Drake late in ‘78 or early in '79. It did great business. Coupling a classic musical with a minor classic drama from '77. This is what creative exhibition used to do to generate ticket sales. This is what a film buff would look out for to see a film that they missed on general release. This was the filmgoing experience before VHS and DVD. I enjoy the pristine look of a DVD but miss the theatrical experience. For NY'ers this is what the Bleecker St., Thalia, Elgin, Cinema Village, and at times St Marks qould supply.

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 1:06 pm

March 1978 “Saturday Night Fever” opened on a huge neighborhood Academy run.

RobertR
RobertR on July 11, 2005 at 12:46 pm

In 1954 when theatres were changing the bill every few days this holiday pair was making the rounds.

RobertR
RobertR on July 10, 2005 at 1:36 pm

Does anyone remember these badly dubbed childrens matiness that were so popular in the 60’s and early 70’s? A lot of them were from Italy and Germany.

RobertR
RobertR on July 10, 2005 at 1:23 pm

I actually remember seeing this Topo Gigio matinee at the Arion. My mother took me and 2 of my cousins.

JakeGittes
JakeGittes on July 3, 2005 at 1:59 am

What a terrific site! It’s taking me hours to catch up on the postings. I have many memories of filmgoing long before the VCR and DVD made it “easy” to see any film. My moviehouse haunts were in Queens, Blyn, and Manhattan. When I was a kid during my early years in College I worked at a couple of independent houses and for Century Theatres as an assistant to management. The trouble we got into. Those times were almost thirty years ago so when my memory cooperates I’ll share some thoughts.
The Arion was a shrine for movie buffs. Cheap, I think a $1.00 or $1.50, and always a double feature. Sometimes the lower half of the bill was the draw. Queens had a few of these places in the 70’s – Arion, Cinemart, Haven, Bellerose, Austin for a time. Loud theatre. No doors between auditorium and candystand. Always crowded because of price. Poor sound, picture, seating, etc.. But it served its purpose.

RobertR
RobertR on July 1, 2005 at 11:31 am

This is a typical Arion double bill :)