Arion Theatre

Middle Village, NY 11379

RobertR
RobertR on August 18, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Another kiddie double bill from 1969

RobertR
RobertR on August 18, 2007 at 9:23 pm

The Duke on a huge second run

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 30, 2007 at 2:49 pm

What is the basis for the claim that the Arion was the first theatre in Queens to be wired for sound? What sound movies, if any, played there prior to “The Jazz Singer,” which opened at the Arion on June 12th, 1928 and ran for four days. The first Queens engagements of that “talkie” were in early May of that year, at theatres including the Fox Jamaica, Fox Ridgewood, Prospect in Flushing, and Grand in Astoria.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 26, 2007 at 2:13 pm

The 1926 Film Daily Year Book lists two Arion Theatres on Long Island, a 422-seat Arion in Maspeth and an 800-seat Arion in Middle Village. I wonder if they could have been under the same ownership?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 25, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Here’s a rare ad describing the Arion as “House of Talkies.” This engagement in August, 1928, came nine months after the silent movie’s NYC premiere at the Central Theatre in November, 1927. In the interim, Universal added a musical soundtrack in the Movietone system. I suspect that the claim “Now! You can HEAR as well as SEE ‘Simon Legree’” is a distortion of the truth. The movie had no spoken dialogue, but perhaps there were sound effects that included Simon Legree cracking his whip:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/arion28.jpg

McGinty
McGinty on March 14, 2007 at 6:00 pm

I lived on Metropolitan Ave. and 71st St. in my pre-teen years, so the second-run Arion was my favorite theatre for quite a while. I was only 11 or so, but the theatre seemed gigantic to me at the time.
It was pretty rundown, with red duct tape over the upholstered seats, but they charged $1.50 for kids and I was there pretty much every weekend. They had a smoking and a non-smoking section! I remember a double feature of the corny Western comedy The Villain &
the equally corny Hot Stuff. I also saw Chapter Two, California Suite, Kramer vs. Kramer, the Who’s The Kids Are Alright, Apocalypse Now, Breaking Away, Foxes & The Changeling there. They
had an eclectic booking policy, as I remember quite a few softcore sex comedies playing there, mostly Italian stuff like Wifemistress and The Sensuous Nurse. Sadly, the wily clerk there wouldn’t
let us in. I also remember the infamous Caligula having quite a long run there. They had lobby cards in addition to the movie posters which you don’t see anymore. When I saw that it became
a Jamron Drug store when I moved back to Queens years later, I wasn’t surprised….I was just glad it lasted as long as it did.

AntonyRoma
AntonyRoma on September 1, 2006 at 4:04 am

Thanks BrooklynJim. The buildings behind the bus just didn’t look like my recollection of Niederstein’s exterior. I haven’t been in that area since the late ‘50s, and frankly I thought it was further east on Metropolitan Ave.

Here’s a map link to the surrounding areas, showing theaters:
>>http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?name=Niederstein%27s+Restaurant&addr=6916+Metropolitan+Ave&state=NY&csz=Flushing+NY&ds=n&uzip=&mag=1&desc=%28718%29+326-0718&country=us&dma=&cat=ent&resize=l&trf=0&lat=40.712063&lon=-73.886066&mlt=40.712063&mln=-73.886066&rezoom=1&.intl=us&addrtype=12&compass=&BFKey=tht<<

Ugh, that was ugly. But it would have included the Ridgewood and most movie-houses of my youth with the exception of those in Richmond Hill and Jamaica.

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior,

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 31, 2006 at 8:00 pm

‘Tonino, go to www.subwaywebnews.com and when the title page appears, click on “Bus Photo of the Day” at left. When that appears, scroll down to the Archives listing and click on “X.” Then scroll down six rows. The photo and summary you want are in the #1 spot at far left.

I haven’t attended either the theater or the restaurant since the mid-‘70s, but I believe they were relatively close, perhaps a few blocks at most. Ciao.

AntonyRoma
AntonyRoma on August 31, 2006 at 5:56 pm

“Tonino, aye. True theater historian, present and accounted for.

((For Middle Villagers, Ridgewoodites and Glendalers who used to grab a meal here before or after screenings at the Arion, Ridgewood, Oasis, RKO Madison, Maspeth, Drake or Elmwood Theaters:

Niederstein’s Restaurant closed 2-8-05. The pic was taken before the wrecking ball struck. It’s a fast food joint now.))

Duh, it sure says that Niederstein’s was in the picture to me.!!! And I know who “writted” it.

BUT, I could always rely on lostmemory to provide accurate, as well as informative, information. That’s why I asked if he could verify it.

And I tried available combinations and permutations at ?website’s Archives (under buses), ? ti verify.

Guess I’ll go back to the hockey game now.

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on August 30, 2006 at 6:44 pm

Variation on an old joke: I went to a Cinema Treasures fistfight, and a hockey game broke out!

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 30, 2006 at 5:53 pm

‘Tonino, if you go to the website’s Archives (under buses), you’ll see that the location was verified in their capsule summary.

“BrooklynJim could use a refresher course in remedial reading. This drivel is enough to cause a true theatre historian to cringe.”

Three days into his CT membership and Art Theatre already displays an all-wise and sarcastic mouth & keyboard. (Sounds as if he could be related to another pedantic, personality-deprived imbecile we know all-too-well. Maybe Lost Memory isn’t the only one who knows how to morph his multiple screen names!)

I wrote that many of us may have eaten at this restaurant “before or after screenings at the Arion, Ridgewood, Oasis…” etc. The place, with a history all its own, is gone forever. Culturally, we tend to mourn theaters no longer there as well as other places associated with those neighborhoods, such as Niederstein’s. But this newbie couldn’t figure that out and went for the cheap shot instead. What did YOU contribute regarding the Arion, Art?

Just more bilge. KMA.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 30, 2006 at 5:18 pm

Will the true theatre historians please stand up!

Artie
Artie on August 30, 2006 at 5:07 pm

Niederstein’s is a restaurant. This webpage concerns the Arion Theatre. BrooklynJim could use a refresher course in remedial reading. This drivel is enough to cause a true theatre historian to cringe.

mikemorano
mikemorano on August 30, 2006 at 4:38 pm

Perhaps your a bit confused. The comment was posted by BrooklynJim. Niederstein’s is closed.

AntonyRoma
AntonyRoma on August 30, 2006 at 4:16 pm

And I know this is Niederstein’s restaurant how? Can lostkemory verify this?

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 30, 2006 at 2:38 pm

Progress.

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on June 16, 2006 at 9:45 pm

Nah, it wasn’t, OldMariner. Lovethoseoldtheaters and I would both quickly add the Arion to the category of dump theaters. Unlike the many films I’d watched at the Peerless of my ‘50s youth, and that was a Class Z dive (“The Itch,” according to my dad), I’d experienced only a few movies at the Arion in Middle Village in the middle '70s.

The Arion could have been a really good neighborhood outlet, and perhaps in its younger days it did serve a good purpose for the kiddies, but what can one say after MV goes and loses the landmark Niederstein’s Restaurant to a blasted fast food corporation, too? Where have the oldtime business values gone?

OldMariner
OldMariner on June 6, 2006 at 1:42 pm

I very fondly remember my childhood spent in MV and the Arion movie house was a big part of my memories. I went there in the forties and fifties and remember that children’s admission was 25 cents and on weekdays it was 11 or 12 cents. Most candy was 6 cents. There were many times directly from school (PS 87) I would go to the movies to watch such films (as I remember) Sunset Blvd, Boris Karloff/Bela Lugosi horror ones, Lon Chaney Jr Wolf Man films, etc.

I’m sorry to read above that in it’s latter day it wasn’t kept up well.

PKoch
PKoch on May 15, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Lost Memory, I too remember Topo Gigio on the Ed Sullivan Show, and, through my dad and an older friend, learned of his predecessor, Senor Wences.

The Arion was a Jamron Drugs store in the latter 1980’s before it became a Genovese. Same difference, huh ?

For some reason, I posted my Arion Theater movie memories on the pages of other theaters, probably mostly the Cinemart.

AnthonyS1957
AnthonyS1957 on May 14, 2006 at 9:56 pm

Robert R. I love your JPEG’s of old Newspaper movie ads. Hab]=ve any more?

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 2, 2005 at 3:49 am

The comments above confirm my memories of the Arion having that round plaster ornamental thing on the ceiling. But as I posted under the Drake, I’m pretty sure there was also plenty of peeling paint — which, considering all the other comments here, seems quite in character.
And “JakeGittes” — great name! But I saw Chinatown at the Elmwood — at least, the second time. I can’t remember where I saw it the first time. It’s possible we went ALL THE WAY OVER to Bayside to the Bay Terrace, as my father was sometimes wont to do…

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 28, 2005 at 12:40 am

A Wurlitzer organ Opus 1040 Style D was installed in the Arion Theater on 4/18/1925.

RobertR