Oasis Theatre

63-57 Fresh Pond Road,
Ridgewood, NY 11385

Panzer65
Panzer65 on August 29, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Unfortunately there are no memories I can recall other than what is posted, however I do have memories of the Glenwood bowl and the former Acme theater which I did visit as a refurbished supermarket and hope you find them interesting.

PKoch
PKoch on August 29, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Thanks, Panzer65. I DID read your memories, and would like to read more.

The RKO Madison “died” first, as a movie theater (Halloween 1977)then the Oasis, from what I’ve read. Bway, correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks for posting the Ridgewood Times articles links, Warren.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 29, 2007 at 1:50 pm

This story was published in the Ridgewood Times issue of August 17, 1978. None of the show’s performers were named: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/oasis78a.jpg

It took nearly two months for the Ridgewood Times to run a follow-up story in the October 5th issue:www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/oasis78b.jpg

Panzer65
Panzer65 on August 29, 2007 at 12:27 pm

PKoch I wanted you to check out my May 28 posting to read all my priceless memories of the Oasis. Interesting how the demise of the Oasis with its bawdy rock concerts, also coincided with the demise of the RKO Madison.

PKoch
PKoch on August 29, 2007 at 11:25 am

Bway, I can see the neighborhood complaining about the rock concerts at the Oasis.

Bway
Bway on August 29, 2007 at 11:16 am

I don’t know the exact date, but I still saw movies there in 1977, and perhaps even early 1978 (not 100% sure of the exact year, but it was close in there). It became a rock concert venue for a short time, but that didn’t last long due to complaints from the neighborhood, and the crowd, and “type” of crowd it attracted.
It was the roller rink by at least 1982 (whn I started to go there), but it could have been 1981 when it opened.

PKoch
PKoch on August 29, 2007 at 10:31 am

Panzer65, what about your postings of May 28th did you want me to see ?

Warren, I will defer to Bway, out resident Oasis expert, to answer your question about its closing date.

From Panzer65’s May 28th 2007 post :

“I do recall its days as a concert venue, that being Richard Hell and the Voidoids. An unusual name indeed, I recall seeing this name pasted on light poles and walls, it also marked the beginning of the end of those days of movies there.”

This was probably summer 1978, as I recall those same ads for the Voidoids in summer 1978, with a concert by them at Forest Park bandshell advertised for Saturday August 12th 1978.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 29, 2007 at 10:20 am

When did the Oasis close as a cinema? I found some articles about rock-and-roll shows being held there in the summer of 1978 which suggest that the theatre was no longer showing movies. The owner at the time was reported to be Arthur Lofrese.

jflundy
jflundy on August 25, 2007 at 1:49 pm

The last marquee used on the Oasis was installed about 1948 or maybe 1947, around the time they changed the marquee on the Ridgewood. There used to be an Ice Cream Parlor on Fresh Pond Road, just south of the EL, Katty-corner from the carbarns and across the street from the greasy spoon where the shop men used to dine. The owner told my father that it was in Ridgewood when he asked back in 1949. I was sitting next to him.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on August 25, 2007 at 10:05 am

PKoch,
Please see my postings from May 28 th.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 20, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Can’t the spellings of Randforce and Skouras be corrected in the introduction? And the Oasis was never a Skouras theatre, though the Randforce and Skouras circuits were under the same ownership.

PKoch
PKoch on August 20, 2007 at 1:47 pm

Please post your priceless memories here, Panzer65, if you haven’t already. Thanks. I’d love to read them.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on August 20, 2007 at 1:33 pm

The great times I had at the Oasis seeing the matinées there on Saturday afternoon, priceless memories.

Bway
Bway on August 20, 2007 at 8:17 am

I also saw that movie, and I believe it was also at the Oasis. I saw lots of movies at the Ridgewood also while it was still one screen, but probably saw the most at the Oasis. Of course, once the Ridgewood was the only game in town in the 80’s, I saw many there too.

PKoch
PKoch on August 20, 2007 at 8:04 am

Thanks, Bway. I saw “For The Love Of Benji” at the Oasis in early January 1976, the only film I ever saw there.

Bway
Bway on August 20, 2007 at 8:02 am

Peter, it’s an ad for a whole bunch of Disney films to be shown during the summer of 75 at the Oasis. The Oasis always seemed to have a lot of Disney Movies….my mother used to always take me there, and I have seen a lot of the Disney Movies at the Oasis, probably because the Oasis always showed a lot of them.
I saw some at the RIdgewood also, like Pinnochio, but most were at the Oasis. I don’t remember ever seeing a Disney movie at the Madison.

PKoch
PKoch on August 20, 2007 at 7:22 am

Thanks, RobertR.

I am not able to open and view your posted image from my PC. Please tell me what it shows. Thanks.

William
William on June 6, 2007 at 2:14 pm

As Warren posted in the 1st. post the Sept. 1926. It was Sept. 16th. 1926 as per the Theatre Historical Society of America.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on June 4, 2007 at 11:17 am

PKoch, Thanks for your reply regarding the Lowe’s Jersey City. As far as ornate theaters go, it appears the years they were constructed, 1929-1930 ,were the “Golden Age” of theater construction. Your description of this theater is quite interesting. I attended high school near the Valencia, and marveled at its ornate facade, so many carvings and curves, a rare treasure indeed.The Kings in Flatbush, is apparently abandoned.Are their plans for its future? Are the Inside and outside features intact? Indeed, a theaters so called after life
is conversion to a church, with exception to my other favorite, the RKO Bushwick. The Paradise which is the last in the Loew’s genre,has been preserved, I hope to visit it soon!

Panzer65
Panzer65 on June 4, 2007 at 11:07 am

Thanks Bway for your reply, I spent so many hours at my favorite, The Oasis,and glad to see fellow Cinema Treasures posts that enjoyed it also, but just cant remember like I used to!

Bway
Bway on June 4, 2007 at 5:59 am

Panzer, the Oasis was much simpler than a theater like the Ridgewood or Madison, but it had a simplistic beauty all it’s own. I remember it had large (huge) stained glass sconces along the side walls at a few intervals, and they survived right to the roller rink days. They usually didn’t light them during skating sessions, but they did light them up at the beginning of the sessions, or near the ends, when they played what was usually the finalle song, “New York, New York”, and they would stay lit as you left the floor.

By the way, there are some historic photos of the interior of the Oasis to jar your memory linked somewhere up above, see warren’s July 15, 2005 post for the links.

….now if only we can all find a photo of the interior of the Ridgewood Theater, we would be all set….

stevenl
stevenl on June 3, 2007 at 4:13 pm

MichaelFef where is your music studio located? does anyone remember WEISES(wices) cvandy store a few block away from the oasis.it was on fresh pond rd going towards grand(flushing) ave? i used to get my comic books there.it was on the same side as the theater. there was also another candy store on the corner of fresh pond and elliot ave.it was on the other side of the street.i forget the name of it.does anyone remember the name?

PKoch
PKoch on May 31, 2007 at 11:57 am

I think Loew’s Jersey has a page on this site. I think all its classic features were retained. It was one of the five large, luxuriant, palatial Loew’s Wonder Theaters that opened in 1929 and 1930, the other four being, the Valencia in Jamaica, Queens (now a church) the Kings on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn (now a derelict hulk) the 175th Street in Manhattan (Reverend Ike’s money church in the 1970’s) and the Paradise in the Bronx, now landmarked and preserved, and featured in the excellent PBS “Walk Through The Bronx” documentary with Dick Hartman and Barry Lewis.

I don’t know if they’re up to 24 screens yet at the Green Acres multiplex in Valley Stream. At least sixteen. My parents and I only saw one feature at the drive-in that preceded it : a double feature of “The Out Of Towners” and “Rosemary’s Baby” in the summer of 1970 : two films about the worst that could happen in NYC : the first, a comedy with some serious moments, the second, a serious horror story with some blackly comedic touches.