UA Quartet

16006 Northern Boulevard,
Flushing, NY 11358

opiumbox2000
opiumbox2000 on September 9, 2006 at 3:30 pm

Unbelievable. You'da thunk somebody woulda taken her down.

In any event,that neighborhood is still special to me

TomStathes
TomStathes on September 9, 2006 at 2:08 pm

Unwanted- That sign is still behind the former “Kam Ying” building. I’d try to get it from the owners but it might help me if I were Korean or speak the language :-P

-Tom

opiumbox2000
opiumbox2000 on September 9, 2006 at 1:30 pm

AAAAAhhhhhhhhh nostalgia is so powerful….so sweet…good times at the UA Quartet reading comic books and seeing movies.

I cant believe I’m an old man already.

opiumbox2000
opiumbox2000 on September 9, 2006 at 1:29 pm

I remember Ed, he used to work at Save More grocery on 29th Avenue and 164th.

Mike Berman ran the Comic Hut. Sadly, he died in early 1990’s after the comic bubble burst. Mike Ferrari the manager, dont know what happened to him. I bought my a copy of Amazing Spiderman # 1 from for $220. Also bought some original comic book art from him that he got from original artists. George Perez used to stop by all the time. Also got some old Spiderman covers by master comic artist John Romita. Coincidentally, one to Amazing Spiderman # 43 printed in 1967 is up for auction in a few weeks.

Happy Days Pizza, Great calzones.

Kam Ching always heard rumors that they served cats and dogs.

Murray Clothing store across the street bought lots of husky sized suits.

opiumbox2000
opiumbox2000 on September 9, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Is that sign still there or did you take a picture of it twenty years ago for some reason ?

NYCLatinLefty
NYCLatinLefty on September 1, 2006 at 10:10 am

Does anyone know what happened to ED? The theatre was his home away from home. ED was the mayor of Flushing and everyone in the area knew him.

He use to love horror movies/thrillers and dress up in costume to scare the patrons. We were afraid that one day he would get ideas from one of the movies and go on a rampage. We use to hide all sharp objects from him during the run of horror movies/thrillers.

Does anyone remember the cashier who worked during the day shift? When she would talk to people she would yell at the top of her lungs. ED and her use to get into it all the time. When they were arguing you could hear them yelling at each other for miles.

I use to hear stories about ROSE. She use to frisk partons that she felt were carrying liquor, food/soda, or weapons into the theatre. She wasn’t afraid of anyone and would go toe-to-toe with any patron, no matter their age, their build, or sex. She ran the QUARTET like a navy ship.

roadwarrior23249
roadwarrior23249 on September 1, 2006 at 9:00 am

The usher ED? Is that the guy who was supposedly hit by a bus at one time? Is he still around? Thats the guy who would dress up during horror movies to scare the patrons.

Kersey
Kersey on August 29, 2006 at 4:10 am

You can’t mention the Quartet in the 70’s and 80’s without mentioning long time manager and area denizen Rose Grande.

In the 80’s you will also have to acknowledge long time Quartet usher/upper Flushing “goodwill ambassador” Eddie Hambrecht.

May the heavens bless them both.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 13, 2006 at 4:43 pm

As I suspected, the link isn’t perfect. When it opens, the theater is at the top of the image near center. Just use the mouse to click and drag the image down and get it more centered. Then double click on the theater itself to zoom in.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 13, 2006 at 4:41 pm

Try this view from local.live.com:

View to the South

It only works on Windows PCs, unfornuately, not Macs. You might have to enlarge the window once it opens to see the theater – the links to that site don’t always bring up the exact image and framing you anticipate. Also close out the Welcome window on the left and you might have to zoom in by clicking on the larger building icon in the tool palette. You can also use the directional tool to rotate the view.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 13, 2006 at 4:41 pm

Try this view from local.live.com:

View to the South

bobosan
bobosan on August 10, 2006 at 7:02 pm

Oops..forgot the directions. Punch in the address – Northern Blvd. and 157th Street, 11354 – then after the map comes up, click on satellite. You can zoom in pretty close.

TomStathes
TomStathes on August 10, 2006 at 6:44 pm

Jane’s Wig City! I always loved looking at the wigs as a kid. We recently said hello to the owner who still operates a few blocks down (with the same mannequin heads in the window) :-D
She’s been there since the 60s.

roadwarrior23249
roadwarrior23249 on August 10, 2006 at 6:43 pm

How could i forget, they moved a few blocks down and it was in the quartets right side opposite mikes comic hut, How could anyone forget, WIG CITY!

roadwarrior23249
roadwarrior23249 on August 10, 2006 at 6:41 pm

WOW, holy crap, my brain is opening up!! Mikes comic hut!, Kam Ying, AND Happy Days Pizza!! Jack in the box had those awsome artery clogging deep fried tacos! now its Auto Zone i think, McD’s and IHOP are all thats left!

bobosan
bobosan on August 10, 2006 at 6:41 pm

I remember the Jack-in-the-Box later was called Jack’s. Is there anything in the building anymore?

TomStathes
TomStathes on August 10, 2006 at 6:38 pm

IHOP is still there amazingly enough. Jack in the Box is long gone from NY…

TomStathes
TomStathes on August 10, 2006 at 6:37 pm

Right on, Mike. The parking lot was the Reception House. Then next to that was Kam Ying….
Low and behold, shield your eyes:

bobosan
bobosan on August 10, 2006 at 6:36 pm

I know that neighborhood so well…I worked at the McDonald’s on the first day it was open in 1972. I was 17 and made $1.85 an hour! We used to eat at the International House of Pancakes quite a lot – is that still there? Also used to hang out at the Jack-in-the-Box across the street from the Shell station. Are any of those places still open?

roadwarrior23249
roadwarrior23249 on August 10, 2006 at 6:29 pm

I know that, I grew up and have lived in the area since we moved as a kid in 73' Used to go to Murry’s for the cub scout uniforms, I remember there was one sit down chinese resturant right next to or a door or two down from the quartet! By the way! Here’s to Eckard’s gutting out the quartet only to have there own store shut down a few years later! Now the whole building will probably come down, wait! i know, another church! Thats what the area needs!

roadwarrior23249
roadwarrior23249 on August 10, 2006 at 6:29 pm

TomStathes
TomStathes on August 10, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Actually those just might be cell phone towers on top of the apartment building——which is being converted into co-ops! (or condos? I forget)

bobosan
bobosan on August 10, 2006 at 6:23 pm

I meant that all the same structures are still in place – except for one of the mailboxes. Also notice that on top of the apartment building the antennas have changed…in 1990 they were the traditional aerials for TV reception, and now they look like possibly satellite antennas. Other than that, only the signage looks different. When I lived in the neighborhood from 1968-79, Flushing still was a mostly caucasian area – in fact, it was hard to find a decent Chinese restaurant! Now it’s become mostly Asian. I’m sure decades ago the local residents were complaining about all the Italians and other non-English folks moving into the area. Things change, that’s life.

TomStathes
TomStathes on August 10, 2006 at 6:09 pm

That’s the thing Mike- if you can’t read it, your kind isn’t wanted there. Trust me, we’ve experienced that bias before.