Logan Theatre

4732 N. Broad Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19141

sears
sears on February 2, 2004 at 6:07 am

Alex 1: Several of the old single screen theatres in Montco have been done over (2 or 3 screens). In Bucks co. everything is gone. Most small town theatres are gone. Just a couple are around either
operated by non=profit orig. or mom and pop. The mom & pop operation have little or no money so these theatres are falling apart. A little theatre in Souderton is showing its age and lack of repairs. One theatre that was mom & pop was the 1812 in sellersville. It was clean, well kept, great picture and NOT a bad seat in the house. The owner retired and sold the house. It is not a reel theatre anymore. I’m not really up to date on N.J. I did read about the troubles with the Pitman theatre in Pitman, N.J. (it has a web site) Talk to you later ray

Alex1
Alex1 on February 1, 2004 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Ray. I just read an article in this month’s Philly mag about Goldenberg’s plans for the Boyd and although I think it’s great that a large developer wants to get involved, the more I read the sadder I get. All the politics involved makes my head spin. And although I’m a huge fan of live performance I wish they would keep the Boyd as a cinema. There are so many things they could do with it. Things that would make it a real part of the community again. Too bad I don’t know anyone in City Hall, too bad I don’t have 33 million to restore it and too bad people like yourself, people that really care what happens to it aren’t running the show. Oh, and Goldenberg has plans to restore the Uptown Theater too.

Do you know of any theaters outside the city, say on the main line or across the bridge in Jersey that are currently closed?

sears
sears on February 1, 2004 at 2:01 pm

Alex 1: The Boyd in center city. If they can save this theatre it would be the only orig. movie house in c.c. You really can’t count the Prince. When Ted Turner restored several of his classic films they never played phila. because he couldn’t find a theatre in c.c. This is very SAD for Phila. The only other theatre is the Uptown on N.Broad St. but the area is not very good. ALL the other theatres ARE GONE!

Alex1
Alex1 on February 1, 2004 at 9:28 am

I see someone wrote in and said the Logan Theatre was bought. Does anyone know if any restoration has begun? Also, for those of you who write in a lot and seem to know a lot about the local Philly theaters I have a question for ya. Which currently closed Philly or surrounding area theater do you think would be the most successful if a developer took it on and began to restore it?

sears
sears on January 18, 2004 at 4:42 am

The Logan: Cap. 1894 (orchestra 1124, boxes 40, mezzanine 303, bal. 427). Theatre opened 1-31-1924 The orig. policy was stage and screen shows changing twice weekly. Road show pictures played here after leaving center city. I saw some great films in this theatre. Good memories.

mommombyrd
mommombyrd on January 17, 2004 at 4:33 pm

Does anyone know the history of the Logan Theatre? Who it was named after and what type of theatre was it? Was it poplar? Did any stars go there? etc.?

sears
sears on January 17, 2004 at 12:27 pm

The Logan is EMPTY again. The last church that was in it moved out when they built a new church. I remember this theatre well. As a kid I would visit it often. The Broad and the Rockland were in walking range. Late last year (2003)I was in the theatre and what a shock.
The roof is bad it leaks. The Aud. is a mess. It’s sad to see this once nice movie house in this condition. A sale sign was up but this year it’s gone. If someone bought it good luck.

William
William on December 9, 2003 at 9:29 am

The Logan Theatre is located at 4732 N. Broad Street and it seated 1784 people.