Loew's State Theatre

1540 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

The original Loew’s State became nothing but rubble and dust in 1987. The newly built, subterranean State, to which you refer, has its own page right here. That latter theater opened nearly 10 years after the original’s demolition – and bore absolutely no resemblance to its earlier, more famous incarnation.

SeaBassTian
SeaBassTian on September 5, 2012 at 5:06 am

I actually began to return to State when it became a second-run house under Virgin Mega Store. That was the opposite experience, always spookily quiet. I caught quite a few discount shows there though the price kept increasing. The Weather Man was probably my last visit.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 4, 2012 at 3:27 am

With that beautiful shot of the revamped auditorium, I try to picture myself in there watching the premiere attraction of Some Like it Hot.

Must have been an unforgettable experiencce..

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 4, 2012 at 3:22 am

I didn’t care what the audience did or did not do. There is nothing like seeing a major motion picture in a major movie palace. A first-run movie at Radio City Music Hall with a stage show/organ and all the hoopla can never be equaled, ever……

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 4, 2012 at 2:18 am

SeaBassTian… audience participation is precisely what brought me back to the theaters of Times Square time and again – that and the cheap admissions. Of course, I was a teen at the time. I’ve grown much more conservative in my expectations for movie-going etiquette as the years have passed.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

You always send the most interesting items..Thanks. Just before being sold, Loews always ran an ad in the NYTimes telling the features playing in their theaters.

SeaBassTian
SeaBassTian on September 3, 2012 at 6:51 am

By the time, I had the displeasure of finding about this theater in ‘87, it was already in decline. Granted, the film was The Blob but the audience was under impression that participation was required with hisses, boos, etc. I think I avoided all Times Square theaters after that.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 17, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I think the “grand staircase” photo on the right is actually of the Loew’s Capitol and not the Loew’s State, as captioned. Nevertheless, an absorbing read, indeed.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm

That explains it. What was the Cinemiracle fiasco? Sorta Todd-Ao like?

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 16, 2012 at 5:35 am

Tinseltoes, As I said before, this is one great publication you found. Enjoyed reading. Didn’t realize the Roxy continued to put on complete stage shows in the last year of its life.

markp
markp on July 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Thank you Vito. Its how I was trained by my dad. Yes we all did have fun in the booths, and we have memories that no one today will ever have. I did good at City Center and it really wasnt bad. My back however had other ideas. Its been pretty good the past 3 or so years, but I never know when it will go out again. Im glad I had the pleasure to work with you for all those years. Take care.

Vito
Vito on July 12, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Hey Mark, It’s a sad story I have heard over and over this past year but I thought NA handled the transition well giving all the boys plenty of notice time. I have a hard time accepting the death of film which was a big part of my life for so many years. We sure had fun in the booth did we not, that Amboy booth was quite the adventure. After hiring you for the position at City Center my worries in the booth(s) disappeared you handled it so well. I don’t know if you remember what I said to you after interviewing you for the projection job at City Center, I asked one of the managers to take you on a tour of the four projection booths and said to you “after you see what you are getting yourself into and still want the job it’s yours.” I marveled at how clean and organized you kept those projection rooms and how well you handled moving those prints from booth to booth which was no easy task. Best of luck to you.

markp
markp on July 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Hi Vito. Hope all is well. Its Mark P. from the old Amboys and City Center. I just lost my job a month ago to digital. 36 years in the booth, along with the 55 my departed dad did isnt too bad I guess. Take care.

Vito
Vito on July 12, 2012 at 10:08 am

Your welcome Bill, I enjoy recalling the good ole days of projection from the 50s when we experenced so many new toys to play with. It seemed every year we had some new improved and fun way to project movies.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Hey Vito! Good to hear from you again. Thanks to you and BobbyS for replying to my question.

Vito
Vito on July 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Many theatres In 1954 projected GWTW through a 1.66:1 plate, with the cropping occuring at the bottom of the 1.37:1 frame so as not to cut off any heads. Some action scenes with important action occuring in the bottom portion of the frame were cropped at the top of the image and re-centered

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

That is excatly what they did to show GWTW in wide-screen. Also was a little choppy if I recall. Ted Turner really restored it beautifully in the 1990’s with the orginal 4:3 ratio and gorgous restored color.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Does that say “Gone With the Wind” was being shown on a “Wide-Vision Screen”? Did they just crop off the top and bottom of the image to make it appear wide? A friend of mine owned a ‘50s-vintage print of “Fantasia”, and that’s what was done to that film.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

The Rivoli closed for summer due to lack of product.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I wonder what the story was over at the Rivoli Theatre that week, as its name is conspicuously absent from the list of averages given on that page.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 11, 2012 at 4:32 am

This is such a great publication and I enjoy reading it Tinseltoes. I would have loved to have walked on Broadway in 1954 and trying to decide what movie palace to visit with stage show added attraction. I probably would have chosen “Gone With The Wind” at the Loews State and I would have been among the thousands…

BobbyS
BobbyS on December 20, 2011 at 5:35 am

What a wonderful link…Thanks Great Movies in Great Theaters!!!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I’m sure that was more of a rhetorical question, Tinseltoes, but I’ll follow up anyway: I remembered that she was in the John Huston movie version of Tenessee Williams' “Night of the Iguana” because her role in it was rather similar to that in “Lolita.” I searched her on imdb.com and see that she also appeared with Frank Sinatra in the 1967 detective drama “Tony Rome” and with George C. Scott that same year in “The Flim-Flam Man.” There were other film roles in lower budget films and a number of guest appearances on TV dramas into the 1970’s, but nothing of note. Her personal bio page on imdb is brief, but fairly interesting.

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm

As a young kid from LI,I had a chance to experience this theatre,a summer camp trip to see The Bible.Huge, huge theatre. Years later I was here in either Loews State 1 or 2 for various screenings of Oliver!, Love Story, The Owl and the Pussycat, and On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 21, 2011 at 5:01 am

Thank you David…. It was worth the wait….I felt I was almost there. The powers of presentation sure knew how to show a special film like this one. I remember seeing “The Robe” in Chicago for the first film in Cinemascope at my neighborhood Balaban & Katz Marbro theater and had the same magical feeling. The theaters where these epics played were just so much part of the whole experience…