Loew's State Theatre

1540 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

ChasSmith
ChasSmith on October 16, 2011 at 9:55 am

David, we look forward to reading your memories about “Ben-Hur” whenever and wherever you post them. Thanks!

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 16, 2011 at 9:46 am

The old theatres had tons of obstructed view seats that were rarely used but made the house nut higher for film rental purposes. Many multiplexes do that to this day.

Once the house was adapted for roadshow use they expected to sell 100% at each performance so most seats were larger and positions were at least adequate.

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 16, 2011 at 9:42 am

Davidgreene5, You take your time until you are ready to post. Loew’s State isn’t going anywhere. AGRoura must be having a persoanl crisis……

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 16, 2011 at 8:42 am

I would wager that a good portion of the original seating count was lost with the modernization that occurred in 1958. The pic at the top, markp, is of the remodeled auditorium. The seat count at the very top is based on the original 1921 configuration. It’s likely that even more seats were lost when the auditorium was divided in the late 1960’s.

markp
markp on October 16, 2011 at 12:23 am

I’ve never been good at math, but 1172 and 1214 sure dont add up to 3327. Looking at that beautiful photo on the intro and reading the intro, a lot of seats must have been lost, presumably downstairs. I went to this theatre when I was in 2nd grade to see “Doctor Doolittle” I remember our school group was upstairs.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 16, 2011 at 12:00 am

One can easily remove his own post if he wishes to reconsiders his remarks. I recommend it.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 15, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Hey AGRoura… why don’t you read the rules about posting that are listed just below. Maybe it is you who should get out of CT! David, please pay no mind to these rude and offensive comments. Things can get heated in these pages from time to time and I’ve gone at it with some people here myself. But I can’t recall another post that has made me angrier and embarrassed at a fellow CT member than the one above. Post your comments in whatever form you feel best and whenever you feel you’re ready. Many of us still look forward to reading them.

AGRoura
AGRoura on October 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Reconsidering… Don' t post it. I could not care less what your probably stupid impression of the Ben Hur premiere is. F.. you idiot.

AGRoura
AGRoura on October 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm

No offense intended Davidgreene, but do we have to crawl on our knees for you to post the damm comment on Ben Hur? Get a life! Post it or just get the hell out of CT.

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Me too, please please post……..

AGRoura
AGRoura on October 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Agree with Ed, please post.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 15, 2011 at 9:56 am

Seems to me that would make for an excellent “blog” entry, which, once posted, you could link to from a comment here. Still… I don’t believe there is a limit on the length of individual comments – I’ve seen some rather lengthy ones. And the memory would very much relate to this page. I look forward to reading it, in whatever form it winds up taking!

Davidgreene5
Davidgreene5 on October 14, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Tonight, I completed a long-contemplated written account of the unforgettable experience of the first-run presentation of “Ben Hur” at Loews State Theater in New York. As the wondrous nature of this experience resulted from a host of fine details which all contributed to the whole impact, my account is really lengthy. I have endeavored to contact a Cinema Treasures site administrator for advice as to whether to proceed with posting such a thing. On the advice of a member identifying himself as “Coate”, I will probably place this on the “Happy 50th, "Ben Hur” page if there is no substantial objection to my proceeding with this.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I found it interesting that the marquee wasn’t going to have traditional changeable letters but would get a new special for each attraction. I remember when it was a twin, each side of the marquee had its own custom display but eventually they played movies for which they wouldn’t or couldn’t make a special display and it was back to the red letters on a white background.

Davidgreene5
Davidgreene5 on October 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I was delighted to read this article; although I was sure that the seat upholstery fabric was primarily gold colored. This was a half-century ago, so I could well be wrong. I am sure that, when I complete and post my recollection of the first-run experience of “Ben Hur” at Loews State, someone is going to dispute some of the details which I recall. Such is life, and the limitations of human memory.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Here is a more thorough article in Boxoffice.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Saps, I either never copied it or lost the remainder of that article.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Al where’s page 17? (And I love the no-nonsense delivery of the old Variety!)

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on October 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

David, here is a snipet from Variety regarding the re-opening for “SOME LIKE IT HOT” earlier that year.

I don’t have the whole article but it might give you some ideas.

Davidgreene5
Davidgreene5 on October 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm

In a few days, I will definitely put together an account of the Loews State “Ben Hur' first-run experience. I wish I could find reliable info about that enormous refurbishing that they did on the theater for this premiere run. I had not seen the interior of the theater before I saw this film there, but I understand that they made major changes. – Dave Greene

Coate
Coate on October 8, 2011 at 11:10 am

David, have you considered posting your account on the Happy 50th, Ben-Hur page?

ChasSmith
ChasSmith on October 8, 2011 at 10:04 am

In browsing the community guidelines link below, I don’t see anything about limitations to the size of a post as long as it’s relevant to the theater…and what you propose is EXACTLY what people value reading here. Please post it. If by some chance you do run up against some limit on size, just continue in another post.

Davidgreene5
Davidgreene5 on October 8, 2011 at 2:32 am

I tried to set down a reasonably brief description of the first-run experience of “Ben Hur” at Loew’s State. There were just too many details that I deem to be essential to communicating the magic of that experience. I felt that the amount of text this description would require would be so great as to almost certainly violate some rule governing how much you could post in any one comment. I am nevertheless determined to set it all down in writing. The whole thing was just too unique in all my years of moviegoing, and I am still thrilled by the memory. If anyone knows a way that I might pass along the completed account to anyone that might be interested, I would be only too pleased to share the thing. I’ll monitor this site for suggestions.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I second the motion. Please do it, David. I’m seeing the 8K digital presentation of Ben-Hur at the New York Film Festival this Saturday in Alice Tully Hall, but I’m going to pretend it’s 1959 and I’m at the Loew’s State.