Film Forum

209 W. Houston Street,
New York, NY 10014

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on March 12, 2008 at 2:20 am

They recently put new seats in, their worst then the old ones. Their very tight if your big. They must of got them from Clearview.

tombaxteradventurer
tombaxteradventurer on March 3, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Well, saps,anything compared to my good old (non hd) tv set would qualify as “big screen ” for ME…..relatively speaking, that is.

And thanks for the heads up Mr. Apruzzese, I will definitely be there come the fifteenth!

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on March 3, 2008 at 3:13 pm

For those who missed King Kong at the Film Forum , the historic 1000-seat Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, New York will be showing it on Saturday, March 15 at 11:30am as part of its spring Big Screen Classics series.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm

“Big screen” being a relative term, of course, especially seeing as how King Kong premiered at Radio City.

tombaxteradventurer
tombaxteradventurer on March 3, 2008 at 1:33 am

Had a GREAT time watching “King Kong” on the big screen, and the post-film-scream-fest was lots of fun. A young girl won the Fay Wray scream-alike contest ,beating almost twenty women (and at least one guy!) for the top prize. The whole thing was a blast….except for a couple of small (literally) things:
One, it would be nice to have the lights in the theatre a little brighter than the Stygian darkness we got for the contest. I could barely make out who was who from my fourth row seat!
And , since i haven’t been to the Forum after the new seats were installed, my body got quite a surprise squeezing into the seats between the hip-pinching cupholders on either side that were installed. I’m 6 foot tall ,180 lbs. and they felt very uncomfortable….I can imagine what my bigger-boned movie brethren might go through! Cupholders are great for a bigger auditorium , but for our little (and , one of the last ) sacred shrines to Yesteryear’s classics, I think we could’ve done without them .

anyway, thanks to Mr. Goldstein and company,and to the wonderful talents that made this afternoon possible!

efriedmann
efriedmann on January 24, 2008 at 10:46 pm

The Film Forum will celebrate the 75th anniversary of the original KING KONG for one day only on Sunday March 2, 2008, with two shows only. There will be a Fay Wray scream-alike contest following the first show.

1 pm and 4 pm.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 9, 2007 at 2:45 pm

The Lafayette Theater in Suffern, New York does fantastic presentations of classic films, complete with curtains, footlights, overtures, and all the bells/whistles which make for the total Classic Movie Experience. Plus they have a great sound system and a truly big screen.

It’s not in New York City – but Ms. Verlotsky would truly showcase this important film in a grand movie palace if she secured a booking at this showplace!

/theaters/2897/

YMike
YMike on August 8, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Other than for the “Higher” membership levels Film Forum does not sell reserved seats.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 8, 2007 at 8:21 pm

I guess we should just be glad it’s being shown in New York at all. But, contrary to what Bob said, too bad it ISN’T playing the Ziegfeld. Like it or not, that’s the only theater left in the city that can even come close to what the 1968 showings at the DeMille must have been like.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 8, 2007 at 7:57 pm

You mean they’re showing it in standard 35mm on a small screen?

Oh boy oh boy, that is a BIG disappointment.

Will this print be in color?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2007 at 7:51 pm

Bob, you sound so happy, but…although this War and Peace was filmed in 70mm, I don’t think Film Forum has 70mm capabilities, at least not according to this list (and FF’s promos don’t mention it, either, AND, the screens ain’t so big!) http://www.redballoon.net/current70mmus.html

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 8, 2007 at 7:37 pm

No curtains at the Film Forum? That’s too bad.

Well, at least it will be a visual treat to see the film in 70mm on the big screen. That format doesn’t get revived often enough these days.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2007 at 7:27 pm

No curtains at Film Forum. What I call hi-tech/low tech.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2007 at 7:25 pm

The ad on the website says the tickets are going on sale 10/12. I don’t think this theater has reserved (assigned) seats. The ad also says the two parts are being sold separately and that both have an intermission. You can see them both in one day, or on different days. Link posted above by IFA.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 8, 2007 at 7:25 pm

“Enjoy and be overwhelmned.”

Amen to that!

Thank goodness they didn’t book this Roadshow presentation into the Ziegfeld. They’d probably get the curtain cues all wrong!

CinemaCentre
CinemaCentre on August 8, 2007 at 7:19 pm

I recall seeing Bernardo Bertolucci’s Uncut 5 hour 11 minute, 2-Part Epic “1900” (Novecento) at the Film Forum in February 1991 and had no problem with screen size or seat comfort. Considering the magnitude of “War and Peace”, having seen the 2-Part US edition several times during the 70mm-Stereo engagement at the former De Mille Theatre, 7th Ave and 47th St, NYC from April to October 1968, a hearty welcome for the original subtitled edition. In 1968, I was literally left emotionally exhausted by the powerful “Battle of Borodino” sequence from the section where Prince Bolkonsky faces death observing the swirling canon ball at his feet all the way through to the sweeping aerial photography of the battle leading the viewer being drawn further up into the tranquility of the clouds with the battle almost unnoticed below. The “Burning of Moscow” is another incredible sequence. The imagery and editing almost defies analysis as it has such a complex dynamic structure of editing, effects and that powerful music score by Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov. I tried to break down the “Borodino” sequence into shots and camera angles and was moderately successful. Sergei Bondarchuk had to be a “beyond” genius artist to pull all of the elements together in a film that is almost impossible to forget. The last New York showing of the Russian language subtitled version of “War and Peace” was at the Museum of Modern Art in a tribute to the late Sergei Bondarchuk given from January 12-14, 1995. If the screen at the Film Forum is not the largest and the seats not the most plush and comfortable, I am willing to endure such shortcomings to see cinematic artistry at its finest. Each of the 2-Parts does have an intermission, making each segment 90 to 120 mins. Enjoy and be overwhelmned.

PKoch
PKoch on August 8, 2007 at 7:09 pm

No, Bob Furmanek, I don’t know if advance tickets are being sold. I usually bought my tickets one show in advance when I went there. Sometimes that wasn’t soon enough, as for the 1931 “Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde” in spring 1988 or “Plan 9” in summer 1988.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 8, 2007 at 7:05 pm

I certainly hope so, then it will be just like seeing it when it was first released!

Do you know if they are selling advance tickets on a reserved seat basis? I want to be sure to get the “sweet spot” for this one.

IFA; please thank Ms. Verlotsky and Seagull Films for bringing this Roadshow Epic back to New York.

PKoch
PKoch on August 8, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Will there be intermissions ?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2007 at 4:34 pm

Bob, I don’t know if you’re trying to be funny about War and Peace looking spectacular at the Film Forum, but…while the image will be crisp and bright and the sound will be clear, the screens are so small, the seats a bit uncomfortable (one must suffer for art!)and the sightlines less than ideal, I would dread seeing a seven hour movie (in Russian!) at this house.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 8, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Wow – that will look really spectacular on their screen!

PKoch
PKoch on January 25, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Thanks, Lost Memory. What a good little theater to “trip” over, “shockproofed” or not !

PKoch
PKoch on October 11, 2006 at 5:55 pm

Thanks, Lost Memory !

YMike
YMike on October 3, 2006 at 4:15 pm

Film Forum is presenting a 21 day Pre-Code Fox movie program this December. Expect big crowds to attend.

irajoel
irajoel on July 23, 2006 at 10:31 pm

The forums have terrific programming, but I really don’t like the theatres. Those columns, and terrible seats, sightlines etc. If someone tall sits in front of me I’m sunk.

I’m putting up nice movie material that relate to movie theatres including souvenir programs. check it out

you can also visit my own website
www.cinemagebooks.com