Carolina Theatre

226 N. Tryon Street,
Charlotte, NC 28202

Patsy
Patsy on February 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

Carmichael: Very nice post regarding your memories of the Carolina. I still hold out hope that someday the Carolina can be returned to the downtown area.

Carmichael
Carmichael on February 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

The Carolina was the most luxurious theater in prosperous downtown Charlotte, and its vandalism and disappearance are tragic. The theater featured sumptuous appointments from the golden age of moving pictures – the late 1920s. I saw many amazing films there, but the most memorable was 2001, a special treat for me as a recent college graduate following a dinner with my mother. My father had died one year before my graduation, and after my graduation ceremony at UNC-Charlotte, we went out to dinner and to the Carolina to see 2001: A Space Odyssey. She bought a fabulous brochure for the film that I treasure to this day as a memento of her encouragement to me to reach high for the planets and the stars.

raysson
raysson on January 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm

“LAWRENCE OF ARABIA” played at the Carolina Theatre as a Reserved Seat Engagement Presentation on September 25,1963. I have the original ads from the Charlotte Observer. Not only “LAWRENCE” played here as a Roadshow Presentation,but also “THE SOUND OF MUSIC”,and “2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY” played here before capacity crowds at the Carolina Theatre.

banjotom
banjotom on January 1, 2012 at 10:13 am

The WBT Briarhoppers continue to perform today in their 78th year. Go to www.wbtbriarhopppers.blogspot.com for their comings and goings! I am their bass player.

Susan Walker
Susan Walker on May 26, 2011 at 5:05 am

Patsy, I don’t know if you ever received an answer regarding the WBT Briarhoppers, but if not…they were a country quartet that performed regularly on WBT-AM radio dating back to at least the 1930s. If you go out Nations Ford Road headed south, the old WBT studios built in the ‘20s are still there – however, the building is fenced off.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on July 25, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Thanks Patricia Nc.I left you a post on SOUTH PARK CINEMAS.

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol on July 25, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Found an old ticket stub from a young woman’s 1928-30 scrapbook:

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on July 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Charlotte let several theatres fall to highrises and having an “Uptown” as they call it.

Patsy
Patsy on November 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Thanks Chuck for the 1981 photo as I had never seen that one. Now on that corner there is nothing except the brick building that housed the auditorium.

Patsy
Patsy on November 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Mark: I had been wondering about the status of the Carolina and then read your July 1 post. Thank you, but the key words are “the economy” so hopefully it will recover enough to support construction in 2011.

ncmark
ncmark on July 1, 2009 at 6:38 am

The local media has reported that the city council is again extending the time frame for the developer to purchase the Carolina. The hope is that the economy can recover enough to support this development and construction could begin by 2011.

ncmark
ncmark on November 28, 2008 at 6:29 am

The local media reported that the developer hoping to incorporate the Carolina into a high end condo project would still like to complete the new tower. They have pre-sold 7 of the 20 condos so far and hope to renew sales efforts after their previous development a few blocks away is sold out. They do not expect to break ground this year. Meanwhile I have not heard of any money raised by the group challenged with funding the actual theater restoration. I suppose it’s possible the condo project could move forward while the theater portion is delayed. If the economy improves quickly this project might get back on track but a continued downturn could put it in jeopardy.

ncmark
ncmark on November 23, 2008 at 8:14 am

The only World Premier movie event I have uncovered at the Carolina was on June 15, 1960 for the mostly forgotten film ‘The Story of Ruth’.

Patsy
Patsy on October 28, 2008 at 8:08 am

Mark: This is difficult to read and I hope that somehow the Carolina Theatre has a future in Charlotte, but with the troubled economy one can only wonder what will happen to the Carolina.

ncmark
ncmark on October 28, 2008 at 5:51 am

It has been over a year since the latest project to save the Carolina was announced and unfortunately nothing has been started. I suspect this project will be a victim of the troubled economy and that the Carolina will be lost.

November will mark the 30 year anniversary of the theater closing. This project has had so many potential renovation/ restoration plans dashed over the last 3 decades that I just don’t see anything coming to its rescue.

Patsy
Patsy on October 23, 2007 at 8:22 am

charlie c: Thanks for the website…very nice. Hope to see you this winter.

cclayton
cclayton on October 22, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Go to our new website: www.carolinatheatre.us The facade will be the original facade put back together that is now being stored in the theatre.

Patsy
Patsy on October 22, 2007 at 7:46 pm

In the online Encore sales brochure it shows how the Carolina Theatre marquee would look which is very similar to the original design, imo.

Patsy
Patsy on October 19, 2007 at 7:06 pm

This site shows some wonderful b/w photos of the interior and exterior as they once were along with interesting historical information.

Patsy
Patsy on October 13, 2007 at 10:20 pm

Mark in NC: At one time were you ever involved with the Carolina Theatre Preservation Society? I won’t be able to attend the Encore party event, but hope you do and post here afterwards. If you wish to contact me via email, the address is

Patsy
Patsy on October 13, 2007 at 10:14 pm

On October 16th from 6-8 at 6th and Tryon in Charlotte NC there will be a party put on by Encore to review their residental plan with tours of the Carolina Theatre along with cocktails and appetizers. For more information on this event please contact .com

ncmark
ncmark on September 13, 2007 at 4:44 pm

The Charlotte Observer reported on new plan with additional developers to once again attempt to save the Carolina. A new 20 story condo tower is planned for the vacant lot in front of the theater. The disassembled facade would be incorporated into the tower along with a new lobby. The tower would have three floors of office space and up to 20 condo units with prices starting at $1.7 million and going up to $5 million. A management company has been named to operate the Carolina and TIF money from the condos would go to operations too. The non profit preservation society still needs to raise millions for the restoration. I hope this effort works. The fundraising might prove difficult though with a for profit company running the theater. More info is at www.encorecharlotte.com

thecolonel1
thecolonel1 on August 25, 2007 at 10:01 pm

IN THE 1960’S I RENTED ONE OF THE “STORES” SHOWN ON THE ARCHITECT RENDERINGS FOR THE THEATER.

I OPENED CHARLOTTE’S FIRST “HEAD SHOP” ON THE SITE FACING EIGHTH STREET, AND WAS ALSO A RADIO PERSONALITY.

I REMEMBER SNEAKING IN THE SIDE DOOR AND WATCHING “2001” DOZENS OF TIMES. I COULDN’T GET ENOUGH OF THE MOVIE!

I WALKED EVERY INCH OF THE OLD THEATER LATER WHEN I SOLD AD TIME FOR RADIO, AND WORKED WITH KERMIT HIGH AND RON HINES WO MANAGED THE THEATER. BACK STAGE WAS A DELIGHT. I FOUND LOTS OF DANCE SHOES AND THINGS USED FOR LIVE SHOWS AT THE THEATER. DUST COVERED EVERYTHING.

CCW

Patsy
Patsy on August 18, 2007 at 7:25 am

Thanks for your recent Carolina Theatre post which I have cut and pasted to someone in the Charlotte area who has been involved with the idea of restoring this theatre for 20 years! This person has seen personality conflicts, ETC. that has kept this theatre from being restored!

Patsy
Patsy on August 18, 2007 at 7:20 am

Yes, it’s a shame because a restored Carollina is just what Charlotte needs!