Carolina Theatre

226 N. Tryon Street,
Charlotte, NC 28202

banjotom
banjotom on January 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm

The WBT Briarhoppers continue to perform today in their 78th year. Go to www.wbtbriarhopppers.blogspot.com for their comings and goings! I am their bass player.

Susan Walker
Susan Walker on May 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

Patsy, I don’t know if you ever received an answer regarding the WBT Briarhoppers, but if not…they were a country quartet that performed regularly on WBT-AM radio dating back to at least the 1930s. If you go out Nations Ford Road headed south, the old WBT studios built in the ‘20s are still there – however, the building is fenced off.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on July 25, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Thanks Patricia Nc.I left you a post on SOUTH PARK CINEMAS.

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol on July 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Found an old ticket stub from a young woman’s 1928-30 scrapbook:

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on July 6, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Charlotte let several theatres fall to highrises and having an “Uptown” as they call it.

Patsy
Patsy on November 6, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Thanks Chuck for the 1981 photo as I had never seen that one. Now on that corner there is nothing except the brick building that housed the auditorium.

Patsy
Patsy on November 6, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Mark: I had been wondering about the status of the Carolina and then read your July 1 post. Thank you, but the key words are “the economy” so hopefully it will recover enough to support construction in 2011.

ncmark
ncmark on July 1, 2009 at 9:38 am

The local media has reported that the city council is again extending the time frame for the developer to purchase the Carolina. The hope is that the economy can recover enough to support this development and construction could begin by 2011.

ncmark
ncmark on November 28, 2008 at 9:29 am

The local media reported that the developer hoping to incorporate the Carolina into a high end condo project would still like to complete the new tower. They have pre-sold 7 of the 20 condos so far and hope to renew sales efforts after their previous development a few blocks away is sold out. They do not expect to break ground this year. Meanwhile I have not heard of any money raised by the group challenged with funding the actual theater restoration. I suppose it’s possible the condo project could move forward while the theater portion is delayed. If the economy improves quickly this project might get back on track but a continued downturn could put it in jeopardy.

ncmark
ncmark on November 23, 2008 at 11:14 am

The only World Premier movie event I have uncovered at the Carolina was on June 15, 1960 for the mostly forgotten film ‘The Story of Ruth’.

Patsy
Patsy on October 28, 2008 at 11:08 am

Mark: This is difficult to read and I hope that somehow the Carolina Theatre has a future in Charlotte, but with the troubled economy one can only wonder what will happen to the Carolina.

ncmark
ncmark on October 28, 2008 at 8:51 am

It has been over a year since the latest project to save the Carolina was announced and unfortunately nothing has been started. I suspect this project will be a victim of the troubled economy and that the Carolina will be lost.

November will mark the 30 year anniversary of the theater closing. This project has had so many potential renovation/ restoration plans dashed over the last 3 decades that I just don’t see anything coming to its rescue.

Patsy
Patsy on October 23, 2007 at 11:22 am

charlie c: Thanks for the website…very nice. Hope to see you this winter.

cclayton
cclayton on October 22, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Go to our new website: www.carolinatheatre.us The facade will be the original facade put back together that is now being stored in the theatre.

Patsy
Patsy on October 22, 2007 at 10:46 pm

In the online Encore sales brochure it shows how the Carolina Theatre marquee would look which is very similar to the original design, imo.

Patsy
Patsy on October 19, 2007 at 10:06 pm

This site shows some wonderful b/w photos of the interior and exterior as they once were along with interesting historical information.

Patsy
Patsy on October 14, 2007 at 1:20 am

Mark in NC: At one time were you ever involved with the Carolina Theatre Preservation Society? I won’t be able to attend the Encore party event, but hope you do and post here afterwards. If you wish to contact me via email, the address is

Patsy
Patsy on October 14, 2007 at 1:14 am

On October 16th from 6-8 at 6th and Tryon in Charlotte NC there will be a party put on by Encore to review their residental plan with tours of the Carolina Theatre along with cocktails and appetizers. For more information on this event please contact .com

ncmark
ncmark on September 13, 2007 at 7:44 pm

The Charlotte Observer reported on new plan with additional developers to once again attempt to save the Carolina. A new 20 story condo tower is planned for the vacant lot in front of the theater. The disassembled facade would be incorporated into the tower along with a new lobby. The tower would have three floors of office space and up to 20 condo units with prices starting at $1.7 million and going up to $5 million. A management company has been named to operate the Carolina and TIF money from the condos would go to operations too. The non profit preservation society still needs to raise millions for the restoration. I hope this effort works. The fundraising might prove difficult though with a for profit company running the theater. More info is at www.encorecharlotte.com

thecolonel1
thecolonel1 on August 26, 2007 at 1:01 am

IN THE 1960’S I RENTED ONE OF THE “STORES” SHOWN ON THE ARCHITECT RENDERINGS FOR THE THEATER.

I OPENED CHARLOTTE’S FIRST “HEAD SHOP” ON THE SITE FACING EIGHTH STREET, AND WAS ALSO A RADIO PERSONALITY.

I REMEMBER SNEAKING IN THE SIDE DOOR AND WATCHING “2001” DOZENS OF TIMES. I COULDN’T GET ENOUGH OF THE MOVIE!

I WALKED EVERY INCH OF THE OLD THEATER LATER WHEN I SOLD AD TIME FOR RADIO, AND WORKED WITH KERMIT HIGH AND RON HINES WO MANAGED THE THEATER. BACK STAGE WAS A DELIGHT. I FOUND LOTS OF DANCE SHOES AND THINGS USED FOR LIVE SHOWS AT THE THEATER. DUST COVERED EVERYTHING.

CCW

Patsy
Patsy on August 18, 2007 at 10:25 am

Thanks for your recent Carolina Theatre post which I have cut and pasted to someone in the Charlotte area who has been involved with the idea of restoring this theatre for 20 years! This person has seen personality conflicts, ETC. that has kept this theatre from being restored!

Patsy
Patsy on August 18, 2007 at 10:20 am

Yes, it’s a shame because a restored Carollina is just what Charlotte needs!

ncmark
ncmark on August 17, 2007 at 8:56 pm

It’s been well over a year since the condo project at the Carolina was announced and nothing has happened yet. I’m afraid this project is not going to happen and the Carolina will be lost. The next door neighbor, The Mint Museum of Craft + Design in the old Montaldo’s department store, is vacating their space in 2009 and I predict both buildings will come down for some bigger project. That’s just my gut feeling but it wouldn’t surprise me for someone to assemble these two properties to create a footprint for some taller tower. The effort to save the Carolina has been too fractured over the years and hasn’t raised any money to speak of. I don’t think the restoration project has been taken seriously for some time. It’s a shame because a restored Carolina is just what Charlotte needs. I just don’t see enough local support to make this a reality though.

pmck8813
pmck8813 on February 10, 2007 at 7:03 am

On February 10, 1956 Elvis did four shows at Charlotte’s Carolina Theater on N. Tryon………2:30 p.m., 4:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

Later that year, on June 26,he returned to Charlotte and did an 8:30 p.m. show at the old Charlotte Coliseum on Independence Blvd.

Patsy
Patsy on January 8, 2007 at 8:01 pm

“Work In Progress” is an interesting choice of words as
“Vacant/Not In Use” is certainly accurate.