Chicago Theatre

175 N. State Street,
Chicago, IL 60601

hendersonjr
hendersonjr on December 8, 2010 at 7:10 pm

On Dec.7, 1941. My Dad took me to a Matinee at the Chicago Theater. When we came out,the streets were full of newspaper Boys. Extra, Extra “WAR”. We saw a very funny Vaudville act that I’ll never forget. A Man, A chair And a Banjo. The guys fingers and hands kept getting stuck on everything. But for the life of me, I can’t remember what else was playing that life changing day. Can someone out there help me ?? Its one of those things that we all suffer from. I just gotta know.
Thanks. Billjr.

Broan
Broan on November 28, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Here’s a picture of the “Little Chicago” screening room. The film was, of course, 101 Dalmatians. View link

JudithK
JudithK on May 19, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I saw “Bye Bye Birdie” at the Chicago Theatre (the town in which I lived didn’t get first bookings of films so we came to downtown Chicago to see movies). A long time elapsed, into the mid-1980’s I believe when a friend and I saw Liza Minnelli perform at the Chicago (her Dad had worked there before he became a film director). The theatre was in some need of rehabbing but nothing that couldn’t be done with reinvestment, which is what happened. The Chicago Theatre is a difficult theatre to do theatrical shows in (I saw “My Fair Lady” on tryout tour with Richard Chamberlain as well as “South Pacific” with Robert Goulet) as I believe it has a very small orchestra pit – the latter show had a four-piece combo as I remember!

Ziggy
Ziggy on April 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Those are some great photos. I assume they were taken pre-restoration.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on March 19, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Interesting article. Thanks B.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on March 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I just scanned the entire nine year-long string above. Surprisingly I don’t see any discussion on the organ. Is the current organ original to the Chicago? If not, where did it come from and what happened to the original?

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on February 22, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Just a quick FYI. The Jewel/Osco on Howard St. near McCormick has some two sided tote bags at the registers with a really nice full color scanned picture of the Chicago Theatre on them.
Not sure if they are available at all Jewel stores or not, but it’s worth a look if there’s one nearby.
They are probably inexpensive as it appears there are multiple designs of other Chicago scenes and/or landmarks.
Point of purchase stuff usually is.

Broan
Broan on February 18, 2010 at 10:43 am

They aren’t all working, last time I saw them lit.

Bing00
Bing00 on February 18, 2010 at 10:42 am

Why doesn’t the Chicago light all the lights adorning the building?

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on December 22, 2009 at 12:15 am

How is the Vaudville show at the Chicago is it any good? Has the Chicago been busy with this production? I know after its run in Chicago it will open at the Beacon in New York City.brucec

pritikin1
pritikin1 on December 6, 2009 at 10:31 am

In the summer of 1951, I was first in line to see Milton Berle and buxom Dagmar… after staying for 4 shows… Uncle Miltie had me kicked out of the theater for heckling him! A few years later I watched a film with Jeff Chandler and Joan Crawford, and a stage show that had Patti Page and Bill Halley and the Comets on the same bill for a buck!

gridlock
gridlock on October 5, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I am looking for interior shots of the Chicago. I would especially appreciate it if someone could post a shot of the seating area as seen from the stage.

Thanks in advance!

gridlock
gridlock on October 5, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Thanks in advance!

michaelkaplan
michaelkaplan on August 6, 2009 at 11:21 am

There are great Technicolor views of the Chicago in these 1948 short documentaries:

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on May 25, 2009 at 12:55 am

FYI. If you enlarge Lost Memory’s May 2009 pic, you can just make out the painted wall signage I mentioned above.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on May 15, 2009 at 9:30 pm

FYI. In BWChicago’s April 19th post of a 1944 photo, the word Chicago can be seen painted on the side alley wall. Directly behind the Marshall Fields clock trajectory wise.
I cut through that very alley today, and the painted remnants of the sign are still there. It says Chicago Theater Entrance, with a giant arrow pointing towards the State Street entrance. It should be noted that it spelled Theater with the “er”, and not Theatre with an “re”.
Those old signs painted directly on to brick, were usually done using lead based paints. Paint which could withstand the elements, and the porousness of brick.
It is the reason most are still visible and survive today. I unfortunately didn’t have a camera with me.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 2, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Here is a 1948 photo from the Chicago Tribune:

Broan
Broan on April 20, 2009 at 12:13 am

That one is very interesting, especially compared to the 1944 one I posted earlier: View link