AMC Lincoln Square 13

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Showing 51 - 75 of 1,452 comments

LARGE_screen_format
LARGE_screen_format on October 10, 2018 at 6:13 am

Is one of the existing auditoriums being converted to Dolby Cinema or will this be an additional/new one?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 10, 2018 at 12:12 am

Still under construction (I was there on Sunday). Kinda surprised how long it’s taking given that AMC Empire was able to do their IMAX laser upgrade in less than a month, and this screen already had Atmos like how Empire had 12 channel sound (I’m sure the reclining seating at Dolby Cinema adds to the renovation time, but doesn’t seem like it should be this long).

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 9, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Any update on dolbyv

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 9, 2018 at 10:37 am

Probably comes down to cost (an IMAX film print of a movie of that length costs like 30k to produce) and in general new releases being shown on film is a rare thing. I think IMAX laser isn’t quite there to 15/70 when the latter is projected right, but it will fill the screen and still look stunning (a huge difference from when Lincoln Square was using the digital “liemax” projector which left the screen with a windowbox image with black bars on all four sides).

poland626
poland626 on October 9, 2018 at 2:04 am

wait, I’m sorry I’m a little behind, so First Man isn’t on film in the IMAX theater here? It’s digital imax laser here but will still fill the whole screen? Why didn’t they make film prints?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 8, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Thriller was formatted to completely fill the 1.43 screen here (since I believe it was shot 4x3, probably was a little cropping used, but I think acceptable to get the effect of filling this huge screen). It looked great, my complaint was since it was basically done as part of the trailer package for House, they had lights up during it which limited the immersion and atmosphere.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 8, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Hello-

I would appreciate it if someone could explain something to me. Venom got very mixed reviews at leas the reviews I read yet it had a decent opening weekend. now Green Lantern and the Fantastic 4 reboot got rather mixed reviews and the box office was accordingly not very impressive. I assume this occurred because even people who were looking forward to the films paid attention to the reviews and decided not to go. so why would Venom which got equally mixed reviews have a decent opening weekend?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 8, 2018 at 1:27 pm

What were your thoughts on thriller in imax 3d playing before house with a clock in its walls? The video was remastered from the original 35mm print and converted into 3d. I saw clips online and its a flat ratio . This print was used for screening before fantasia in one movie theater in order for the film to be nominated for an Oscar for best short subject but was rejected by the academy.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 8, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Yes, I’d see First Man in 70mm Imax somewhere, but since only digital Imax, I doubt I will spend the extra ticket cost. More likely I will see it in a movie theater in scope, not in an Imax.

markp
markp on October 8, 2018 at 8:52 am

I was hoping First Man would have been put out on 5/70MM film. I would have had a shot at running it, ad I think film would have given it real depth.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 7, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Same thing with venom. That movie did quite well even with competition from the r rated remake of star is born. First Man next Friday won’t be shown in 70mm but laser imax with the classic imax ratio.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 7, 2018 at 6:07 pm

Hello-

I thank xbs2034 for their reply but it doesn’t answer my question- how can an warts and all bio pic of Mercury and Queen be any good or one might say truthful with a PG-13 rating?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 7, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody has generated talk about the best actor awards race from its first screenings. The studio is screening it for awards groups at Lincoln Square this week, as well as an early general audience screening in IMAX on Halloween.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 7, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Hello-

has anyone heard anything about Bohemian Rhapsody? the reason i ask is simple. i saw the trailer this past weekend and no way can a warts and all bio pic about Mercury and the founding of Queen be any good with a PG-13 rating.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 8, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Ur welcome . The nun is playing in digital imax.

markp
markp on August 30, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Thanks moviebuff82

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 30, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Hello-

to markp thanks for your reply. as I said the screening at the Cinema 1 was at the absolute most 20% full. so when I see a film on the opening weekend and the theater isn’t very full and then I hear it had a huge opening weekend I say to myself “where?”.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 30, 2018 at 3:54 pm

You should be in the projectionists hall of fame mark. You always take good care of the prints and the studios want them as clean as possible so that they come in handy if the master print is damaged due to weather or fire as was the case with the Universal Hollywood fire years ago which consumed some film reels; luckily Universal had them on digital backup.

markp
markp on August 30, 2018 at 7:58 am

alpinedownhiller thanks again. When I ran H8 and Dunkirk at the Regal E Walk for almost 3 weeks each, as well as Murder on The Orient Express for 4 weeks and Phantom Thread for 11 weeks at this theatre, all the prints went back dirt free and scratch free. Its what I do.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 30, 2018 at 6:09 am

Another 2001 achievement: it’s been re-released so many times, from exclusive showings in the big cities to nationwide runs, that it’s effectively been in an off-and-on theatrical release for the past 50 years.

UsherDNA
UsherDNA on August 30, 2018 at 2:23 am

Recently got interviewed there at LS13 for a crew level position (didn’t get the job, drats) but was able to ask about eta on Dolby from a higher up. Nothing super concrete, but says hopefully end of September! Now to renew my crusade!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 29, 2018 at 9:19 pm

The Fathom/TCM screening events are very cool too. I saw Jaws, North by Northwest, The Ten Commandments, and just recently West Side Story. But 2001 is still in a class by itself. It’s been in almost continuous release all summer, since the middle of May. In NYC it played 8 weeks at the Village East Theater, in its initial 70mm run. After that it played in NJ (thanks, markp) and Astoria, Queens. Now it’s in IMAX. It’s had a longer run in 2018 than some brand-new movies.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 29, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Having just returned from a front-row viewing of the 70mm IMAX version, I have to give it the edge over the digital. This is based solely on how easy it was to read the buttons in the space pod. Every one of those buttons has a label on it, and they were easier to read in 70mm. The level of small details that were put into every facet of that film is astounding. It really is like no other.

On the way out I met a couple who came all the way to New York City from Boston just to see 2001 at this theater, on that screen.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on August 29, 2018 at 8:19 pm

@markp – yeah it was great, you kept the print top notch too, I heard talk of dirt and scratches and so on at some other theaters 70mm showings, the Paramus one, even when we saw it quite a few days into the run, was pristine and great

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on August 29, 2018 at 8:17 pm

But they have been showing lots like that in fairly wide release, mostly Sun/Wed pairings. Just over the last few years I’ve seen: South Pacific, 2001, West Side Story, Labyrinth, Carousel, Vertigo, Big, Grease, Titanic, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Bladerunner, Singin' In The Rain, The Lion King, The Godfather, Across The Universe, The Princess Bride, Bonnie And Clyde, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, The Fifth Element, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Back To The Future Trilogy, Terminator 2, Terminator, North By Northwest, Dirty Dancing, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, Breakfast At Tiffany’s, Pretty In Pink, Home Alone, Jaws, E.T., The Breakfast Club, Ghostbusters (1984), Raiders Of The Lost Arc, Goonies, Sleepless In Seattle, Groundhog Day, Sixteen Candles, Top Gun 3D, Star Wars Episode I 3D, Wizard Of Oz 3D, Jurassic Park, The Sound Of Music, Wizard Of Oz and more great ones….