AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on July 5, 2016 at 3:23 pm

They really need a true utter giant screen 90' wide and full height laser imax out in the burbs though as going to NYC is a nightmare mess (still I’d do it for Laser 3D IMAX for a a very few super huge films).

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on July 5, 2016 at 3:21 pm

People care about Laser 3D IMAX because it’s one hell of a different experience to see something filling up the entire screen than something filling up a small rectangular portion of it. And the much deeper blacks, larger color gamut, the utterly ghost free and natural 3D, much crisper image. It’s night and day Laser 3D IMAX compared to regular Xenon 3D IMAX.

I was totally blown away when I saw TFA in Laser 3d IMAX up in Boston.

markp
markp on July 3, 2016 at 8:08 am

hdtv267, as much as I love film, having been a union projectionist for 40 years, even I have to admit the film is dead. I didn’t want to believe it 3 years ago when I lost my full time job, but aside from being able to run Hateful 8 in 70MM over Christmas holidays, even now I can see film is dead. Ive come to accept (not mean like) digital, and Ive not seen any laser. So all these people who keep wondering, well keep wondering, because even this old seasoned veteran projectionist can tell you film is dead.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on July 3, 2016 at 4:39 am

What’s pathetic is that he actually thought they’d do that for one showing. Who the hell really cares?

Since AMC clearly doesn’t think installing laser is at this rat trap is so important, it baffles my mind why the hell all of you are losing sleep over it.

I hope someone’s running a pool on it, I really do. I’d win as I’ll be seeing a laser IMAX 3D (AGAIN) in San Francisco in November in a real theater complex with LASER IMAX. Yeah, they gave it to a real City with a winning baseball team first.

poland626
poland626 on July 3, 2016 at 3:17 am

I don’t think they’d switch projectors for this. It might be easier just to play the digital version this time as they’d only have an hour or so to switch projectors out and back again.

I AM curious to see if Voyage of Time gets played here in film for the 40 minute version coming out for IMAX theaters. Would look pretty great and since it doesn’t come out till October, maybe even Laser would be put in by then?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 28, 2016 at 11:32 am

Advance tickets now on sale for the Star Trek imax trilogy…wonder if they’ll use the 70mm projector for Into Darkness 3d like they did three years ago or stick to digital, which is easier to handle than spooling extra long film.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on June 13, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Moviebuff82, since Ghostbusters IMAX tickets are already on sale for mid July, that seems to leave no time for renovations before Suicide Squad at the start of August. Maybe for Sully (which is mostly shot in IMAX), maybe later in the Fall for films like Fantastic Beasts or Rogue One, or maybe not this year at all. Given all the delays which have already occurred, would not be shocked if they wait till next Fall and perhaps show Nolan’s Dunkirk on a film print (which you know the director would like).

ImaxGeek, no projection room viewing gallery (I believe this video shows the projection booth as it was clearly filmed at Lincoln Square https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=C-VjiPRR5cY ) though they used to have some decorations/video outside the IMAX screen about the format back when the theater first opened, but those must have been taken down years ago

ImaxGeek
ImaxGeek on June 12, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Is there a projection room viewing gallery at this IMAX theater? I have been to some Imax theaters, even multiplex Imax theaters that have a viewing gallery.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 11, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Looks like id4 resurgence will be playing in digital imax. Wonder if suicide squad will be in 2k imax 3d or perhaps they’ll wait until fall when Sully comes out in laser imax.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on June 3, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Yes, the IMAX here has never had masking (actually that’s pretty common of IMAX screens in general, but sadly even some multiplex screens are not masked anymore).

It wasn’t as big an issue until Fall 2013 when they put the digital projectors in and presentations became windowboxed, and since digital was supposed to just be a stop gap solution until laser, they never seemed to want invest in crating a masking system for that screen (though it’s been almost three years since the transition to IMAX digital)

digital3d
digital3d on June 3, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Exactly! At least close the masking. But I doubt there is any as they did play 70mm for a while and ate planning on laser which is, I think, filling up the whole screen. But for regular digital showings it is very annoying. I might even prefer some random Multiplex to that, as they at least close the masking.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on June 3, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Digital 3d I totally understand. In 1999 and 2014 I saw the 60th and 75th anniversary screenings of Gone With The Wind and both times it was a 16 mm print on a huge screen opened for scope presentations. It was annoying as hell. My opinion they could have at least closed the masking to 1.85 ratio.

digital3d
digital3d on June 1, 2016 at 8:22 pm

I’ve been to the IMAX here again and it just makes me upset how they only use the center of the screen. Especially during the credits you can see how it’s just a big image in the middle of a giant screen. I’ve never seen the whole screen here being used. I also can’t image how huge that would be.

poland626
poland626 on June 1, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Gone for a while, I’ve been going since early 2008 or so and that’s not been there for a while.

poland626
poland626 on June 1, 2016 at 8:05 pm

No, that stuff with the flying over nyc is gone. It’s SOMETIMES just an usher saying the showing is sold out or something, or a voiceover, then the intro video that’s like 15-30 seconds, then the trailer’s/movie starts.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 31, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I don’t remember all of that (I was in elementary school at that time after all) but do remember the usher announcing the show as well as doing something at the end in the early days of this IMAX theater. But they dropped that stuff a long time ago, I think at least since the IMAX transitioned into mostly showing Hollywood movies rather than the IMAX exclusive nature/science films.

Only thing now is the short IMAX logo intro you would also get at Kips Bay, Empire 25, or most IMAX sites.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 31, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Do they still have a imax light show before the movie? I remember when I went to see Across the sea of time they had such a thing. After that, they had a guy, perhaps an usher, announcing the movie and then they showed a brief film showing mr. big screen that ended with a flyover of New York City.

digital3d
digital3d on May 30, 2016 at 11:40 am

It still stands out of other multiplex theaters because of the design. Especially NYC doesn’t really have much art in the theaters. Magic Johnson and maybe 34th St are the only theaters besides Lincoln Square that I know of that have special artwork inside.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 30, 2016 at 11:16 am

When the theater first opened it was a technological marvel with all the bells and whistles of a modern multiplex. Nowadays it’s thriving but not doing as much business as the Times Square theaters. Still a good place to hold East Coast premieres now that the Ziegfeld is closed.

poland626
poland626 on May 28, 2016 at 12:43 am

haha that profile pic is great because I think corky romano came out in 2000/2001. That’s a really, REALLY old photo.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 15, 2016 at 4:26 pm

profile pic changed…i love the escalator…i hope they don’t change the mural….it’s classic…

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

What a shame….

waterguy56
waterguy56 on May 13, 2016 at 8:04 am

@Sadash, laser renovation will begin sometime around late summer according to the IMAX chief marketing officer who said in Twitter, may be delayed again, who knows.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 12, 2016 at 2:26 pm

moviebuff82, advanced IMAX tickets for Warcraft are already on-sale for Lincoln Square, so not sure why you don’t think it is playing in IMAX.

The only thing is the IMAX fan event is being done at AMC Empire 25 instead.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 12, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Warcraft is not playing in imax.