AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

markp on October 19, 2015 at 6:29 am

I agree The400Blows. Unfortunately we are in the minority.

The400Blows on October 18, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Digital cinema sucks. It’s just watching a giant TV. #film #realfilm #35mm #70mm #SuperPanavison70 #UltraPanavision70 #filmforever

ridethectrain on October 15, 2015 at 9:05 am

The latest from AMC, IMAX LASER at the end of January. The reason they don’t own the building, they have to get clearance when they do construction.

xbs2034 on October 11, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Star Wars IMAX footage would be 1.43 filling the screen in laser, cropped to 1.9 in digital IMAX (with black bars on top and bottom and left and right at Lincoln), and then further cropped to 2.35 in normal theaters.

Crimson Peak should be a great choice for Lincoln IMAX, as 1.85 is very close to the digital IMAX 1.9 and you should get almost as big a image as possible with the current set-up (would be like IMAX footage in Force Awakens size-wise for the whole film).

I too really want to see IMAX laser here soon. AMC seems to be the processing of installing laser in Citywalk in LA and Meteron in San Fran, so they are clearly willing to take the expense when they feel it is a worthwhile investment/demand, so I suppose polite messages to IMAX/AMC on social media like Twitter and Facebook requesting it for Lincoln Square can’t hurt.

waterguy56 on October 11, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Thanks xbs2034. But according to IMDb, SW7 has some scenes in 1.43:1 aspect ratio. Can digital IMAX at Lincoln square fully display those scenes to fill its giant screen?

I’m gonna see Crimson peak next week, I guess its 1.85:1 ratio will take up more screen space than “the walk”’s 2.35:1. Am I right?

And Really looking forward to have laser at Amc Lincoln square.

ridethectrain on October 11, 2015 at 9:50 am

AMC put IMAX laser at their Universal CitywLk 17 in Hollywood first

xbs2034 on October 11, 2015 at 9:27 am

It is possible to take 70mm footage and release it in digital projection, same as any other source format.

While Hateful Eight will get a limited 70mm (regular 5/70, not IMAX 15/70) exclusive window, the vast majority of people will see it in digital projection with its wide release two weeks later.

Mikeoaklandpark on October 11, 2015 at 8:38 am

Is it possible to do 70mm on a digital print or does it have to be film? I know the new Quinten Tarrentino film is in Ultra Panavision and 70MM.

xbs2034 on October 11, 2015 at 6:38 am

Hey Howard, that was the fanboy article I was referring to (Making Star Wars is a fansite, and have had wrong info before, so I would take what they say with a grain of salt). I did some looking into it when that article first came out and can find no concerte info about a 15/70 release (which IMAX confirmed back in June 2014 for Interstellar).

Also Syndey IMAX, the world’s largest screen, lists it as playing in digital on their website and if IMAX/Disney is not gonna supply a print there, then where would they? I’m assuming 15/70 releases of Hollywood movies sadly ended with Interstellar, but maybe IMAX will surprise us, and at least as I said the laser locations will do the full 1.43 ratio for IMAX shot footage.

HowardBHaas on October 11, 2015 at 4:44 am

Star Wars 70mm, this sounds likely

xbs2034 on October 10, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Waterguy65, yes the digital IMAX uses less of the screen than 15/70 and laser (those two are “real” IMAX, digital is the “fake” or “liemax”).

There has been no confirmation of 15/70 prints of Force Awakens being made (there is a fanboy article about it, but wouldn’t trust it), and reports last year were Interstellar was the final 15/70 release (and it has been the only one of 2014 and 2015 so far), so very possible they will show it in digital IMAX. If you wanted to see it in full image IMAX, the IMAX laser locations in the Boston and DC areas are the closest (I miss full IMAX, latest 15/70 presentation I saw at Lincoln Square was Catching Fire, and the last 15 or so times I’ve gone its always been liemax).

IMAX has said they plan on going from the dozen or so laser IMAXes now in use to 70+ worldwide by the end of 2016, so presumably Lincoln Square would be in that rather large 2016 window (IMAX has said they do plan to eventually convert the theater).

ridethectrain on October 9, 2015 at 7:02 pm

It supposed to get Laser soon. I saw Everest at the AMC Georgetown in IMAX. The IMAX screen was smaller than Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime Empire 25.

celboy on October 9, 2015 at 6:26 pm

according to imdb, it was shot on red. So the imax resolution is not there. If its shot on imax film these days, it seems they “may” make a release print —–$$$$—but no one knows for sure—-only imax.Whats the point of printing to film if you have 1000 theaters out there and people want their content now.

waterguy56 on October 9, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I still have one big confusion. I would appreciate if someone could answer it for me. I just watched “the walk” which is the first movie I watched at Amc LS. The screen is large, but the part that display the movie is only 60%( huge black bar top and bottom). Now I know It was certainly projected by the digital IMAX. So my question is if 15/70mm was used for the walk, will there still be huge black bars top and bottom? or maybe it’s not possible to use 15/70 for the walk since no 15/70 print being made for the walk(according to IMDb tech spec)

waterguy56 on October 9, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. So if it’s true that 15/70mm is still installed there, It’s a good sign that 15/70mm may be used to project the star war 7??? I desperately want to see SW7 in the real IMAX!!!

amcbayplaza13 on October 9, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Correction is The AMC lincoln Square movie theater IMAX 15/70mm film is still in used?

mhvbear on October 9, 2015 at 2:28 pm

My understanding is that the Lincoln Square is still equipped for 15/70mm but there are no prints being made, The theater installed digital projection but doesn’t fill the full height or width of the screen. This was supposed to be a stop gap solution until the Laser Projection was installed which was promised for earlier in 2015. The last film I saw here was ‘Interstellar’ which was 15/70mm. Until the general public realizes they are getting ripped off and stop supporting the shoddy set-up here, AMC will probably continue to drag their feet with the up-grade.

waterguy56 on October 9, 2015 at 1:25 pm

ok, so I did some research. There are two kinds of iMax, namely digital imax and 15/70mm IMAX. And digital iMax is considered to be the"fake iMax" while 15/70 is the real IMAX. That means the Amc at Lincoln square is also a fake iMax just like most of the other iMax around the country, and this IMAX theater is no longer superior than others in terms of picture quality? Please Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m new to IMAX.

waterguy56 on October 9, 2015 at 11:09 am

wait, so I read all the recent comments here, and realized this Amc at Lincoln square is no longer using the 15/70mm to project the movies? I just moved to nyc recently, and was very excited to see this theater has the thing so called 15/70mm listed in the Wikipedia iMax page. I guess 15/70 just means the best quality. I originally lived in a small town in the west, so excuse me for not knowing what 15/70m is, and really want to get a taste of it. but if it’s true that 15/70 is removed in this theater, I guess I won’t be able to see what 15/70mm means in my life. Someone here who knows more about iMax technology should change the wikipedia page, so no more iMax newbies like me get tricked in the future.

xbs2034 on September 30, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Mockingjay Pt 2 now confirmed to play in IMAX here with tickets going on sale today. With an already full fall slate of The Walk (playing now), Crimson Peak, and Spectre on sale, that means no laser IMAX, at least this year. I think the theater’s success is part of the reason behind the decision- laser systems are expensive to install, and they may even lose seats, so if the theater is seemingly losing no business in windowboxed digital that it had when it was 15/70, I can see why AMC are in no rush to pay the laser expense and lose four weeks of business during the renovation process.

xbs2034 on September 10, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Oh, and I did some checking and they apparently will still be projecting IMAX digital when Spectre arrives. Fandango lists it as a digital IMAX showing (whereas I’ve seen IMAX laser designated as such in those locations on Fandango) and earlier it was said the seating chart would be changed as part of the laser renovation, but I went onto Fandango for the Spectre screenings and same rows and seat # available for reserved seating.

Since skipping Hunger Games is their only other option to do renovations before Star Wars, yeah, I’m back to feeling pretty likely IMAX laser won’t come till 2016 here (just don’t want IMAX trying to still hype it as “new” tech then when it will have been in other theaters for over a year).

xbs2034 on September 9, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Tickets for the new James Bond film Spectre are already on sale here for both IMAX and standard format.

Giles on August 26, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Does this theater have a screen that is outfitted to playback in Dolby Atmos – which one?

xbs2034 on July 14, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Was this said recently, that would be great if true (I remember when they first switched to digital in fall of 2013 the manager said the plan was to go to laser sometime in the second half of 2014, so I’m a bit skeptical until they lock down an actual month or other clear time frame).

Interesting that they would also put in new seats (I understand they don’t want to go with recliners, but I find the IMAX seats decent already, it is some of the ones in the downstairs screens that feel like they may be falling apart) could certainly see it taking longer than 4 weeks to renovate if they did that as well which likely means a big film or two will be skipped if they open this year.