AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

Showing 51 - 75 of 1,350 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 11, 2018 at 4:53 am

Mark, that is such good news. I will be there! Do you know how wide the screen is at the Garden State?

markp
markp on June 11, 2018 at 4:30 am

HowardBHaas, its going to play at the AMC Garden State 16 for one week June 15-21. I was hired by Warner Bros to do the projection.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 11, 2018 at 4:17 am

Alpinedownhiller, Can you please provide a link or at least the full name of the movie theater & the date that Paramus is getting 2001 70mm print? I am not finding that anywhere on the Internet.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on June 10, 2018 at 10:55 pm

Wonder if they are getting 2001 70mm here.
I see Paramus is getting it.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on June 10, 2018 at 10:54 pm

I was stunned they dumped Solo out of the IMAX so quickly here. That is the sort of film that screams IMAX a lot more than Oceans 8. Only two weeks is a bit little. Oh well, they lost my money.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on June 10, 2018 at 10:53 pm

If it was that dark for you then that theater stinks and must have been used a totally worn out bulb, there is no way it was so dark that you couldn’t tell who was who in any auditorium with decent projection. Sure it is dark, foggy, sometimes backlit lighting, but it’s always very easy to see who is who and looks fine.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 1, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Hello-

to Al A. you certainly have a valid point. I asked on this page to see if the problem existed in other theaters. in fact the film was so dark at times I couldn’t see who was talking. in one scene I only knew it was Paul Bettany because he has a very distinct voice.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on June 1, 2018 at 5:56 am

Here’s an article about Solo cinematography/projection issues.

Basically, yes they were experimenting with darker cinematography, but nothing that hasn’t been done before (The Godfather is specifically pointed to). The problem is that if a theater’s equipment isn’t great or calibration is off by even 10%, it can lose all the proper shadow details and look bad. The argument among professionals still seems to be that cinematographers shouldn’t just limit themselves to “safe” lighting levels in order to be more error proof and lower the quality of the work (as I said I thought it looked very nice on this theater’s IMAX, and one of the things you pay for with a premium ticket is better projection equipment and I believe the screen is constantly calibrated remotely by IMAX’s technical staff).

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on May 31, 2018 at 9:00 pm

bigjoe, why aren’t you commenting about this on the Orpheum page?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 31, 2018 at 8:15 pm

I did see Solo on this theater’s IMAX screen, and while it was dark at times (notably in the first act), I didn’t find it to be overly so and could name plenty of darker movies. I have seen some complaints about that as well, so I think it comes to a mix of artistic choices with the movie, as well as how good and properly calibrated a theater’s projector is (IMAX laser is a high dynamic range system which boosts the contrast and able to handle black levels, the Orpheum feels outdated and not the best maintained in many areas and I can imagine the darker scenes looking muddy or hard to see there- I recall the image for The Mountain Between Us looking sorta washed out there for instance).

digital3d
digital3d on May 31, 2018 at 6:50 pm

I saw Solo in a different theater and I felt it was quite dark at times (especially at the beginning), so probably an artistic choice. I got used to it though and it wasn’t noticeable anymore at the exterior scenes toward the end.

stevenj
stevenj on May 31, 2018 at 5:10 pm

The “film” is digital files. I complained to the manager of the Castro theatre last year over the darkness of the newly restored 4K digital The Thin Red Line and was told that they projected the files they were sent. I’ve seen many films projected digitally and most of them look great. Not sure why there is a variation from movie to movie.

markp
markp on May 31, 2018 at 4:31 pm

I have seen people on facebook complaining about that same thing.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 31, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Hello-

i saw Solo this past Sat. at the Orpheum. I thought it was THE DARKEST FILM i have ever seen. I complained to the Orpheum’s manager and he said its the film itself not their projection. have people who saw it here have the same experience?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 19, 2018 at 6:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNPzPeSP4w here’s a clip of the theater during its sony heyday …

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 4, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Hello-

I have a question I hope my fellow moviegoers can help me with. plus i’m asking it here since i don’t no where else to ask it. after post-production work was done the original cut of Call Me By Your Name was 4hrs. the film as released is 2hrs. 12mins. is there any way to find out what was in the excised 1hr. 48mins.?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 1, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Hello-

thanks to rayman29 for replying. as I said for yearssssssssss and yearssssssssssss the Summer movie season has always started the 1st Fri. in May. so are you saying that the Summer movie season will now be starting the last Fri. in April? I ask since the last week of April has for years been a dumping ground.

rayman29
rayman29 on April 30, 2018 at 4:55 pm

The U.S. release date for Avengers was moved a week forward so the release date would be the same for most countries around the world. Disney was concerned it would hurt the U.S. box office to have it released in other countries first because spoilers would be out before people could see it in the U.S. or people would be able to pirate it before its in theaters. Expect release dates for big movies to be pretty much the same worldwide from now on. They’ve become less and less spread out in recent years.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 29, 2018 at 10:56 am

Looks like avengers beat force awakens for top grossing debut of all time…

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 24, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Hello-

I thank moviebuff82 for their reply. but I an still of the opinion that for yearssssssssssssssssss that specially the last week of April being a dumping ground(negatively of course) for big studio films. its kind of like an Oscar Bait film that had a long held release between the first week of Oct. and Dec. 31 gets pulled from said release date at the last minute and is released in January you know its a turkey.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 24, 2018 at 3:57 pm

I think it’s because of day and date with the rest of the world. The last movie to open around late April or mid april has been the Fast and the Furious movies that all started with Fast Five and went towards Furious 7 and the Fate of the Furious. Even late March has been like that too with the release of Batman V Superman which was terrible and most recently Ready Player One which is almost gone from theatres. I’m surprised that Black Panther is still playing in theatres more than two months after it came out, and is among the longest running engagements for a Marvel and a Disney movie ever. The Jumanji reboot was still in theatres when it came to digital media two weeks before the disc release and still made money. Remember when it took years for Star Wars to come out on home media after it’s first release in 1977? Same thing for ET and Jaws.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 24, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Hello-

for yearsssssssss and yearssssssss the first Fri. in May was the start of the Summer movie season. so i was quite surprised that The Avengers: Infinity War was switched from the 1st Fri. in May to the last Fri. in April. for yearssssss the last week of April has been a dumping ground. i am quite nervous about the switch being an omen.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 16, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Hello-

does anyone know of a website that discusses what happened to films that should have come out by now? every so often I say to myself what ever happened to film x,y or z.

guarina
guarina on April 11, 2018 at 9:30 pm

Thanks a lot, Al. I’ll use the Embassy then.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 11, 2018 at 7:41 pm

The Embassy was showing “GRAND ILLUSION”, the Alden (Regency) was not advertising and the Lincoln Square was long gone. The NYT Times Machine is your best, but that is what pretty much what I can see there.