John W. Engeman Theater

250 Main Street,
Northport, NY 11768

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Orlando
Orlando on October 1, 2004 at 12:22 am

It will be saved.

RonMotta
RonMotta on September 30, 2004 at 11:01 pm

The Larkfield Theatre is now—surprise, surprise—an office building. My Dad took me there when I was five to see “Jaws” (which I LOVED—I was a fearless kid) and I remember seeing a double-bill of “Grease” and “Saturday Night Fever.” I pass by it now when I go to the train station in the morning. Does anyone know the status of the Northport?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 25, 2004 at 10:39 pm

the theater was on larkfield road

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 25, 2004 at 10:38 pm

in that theater twice as a kid the theater was old then. The theater entrance was no the parking lot side not on the street side

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 25, 2004 at 10:10 pm

Whatever became of the Larkfield Theatre in East Northport, which was probably in the vicinity of the Northport station of the LIRR?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 25, 2004 at 9:44 pm

Holes in walls , seats pulled out of the floors….bway did you work in the movie bsns

Bway
Bway on August 24, 2004 at 12:29 am

Wow, that had to be some destruction. What did they do?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 23, 2004 at 11:25 pm

the theater was closed when the vandalism took place

Bway
Bway on August 23, 2004 at 7:30 pm

Did the theater close from 1997 to 1999 after this “severe vandalism”? What happened that it had to be restored?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 21, 2004 at 6:39 am

this theater operated by UA for years was a .76cents house in 1976 and then became a 99 cents house for many years. a very nice local theater

bamtino
bamtino on June 25, 2004 at 8:36 pm

I believe you are correct Warren. I’d been working on several LI theaters simultaneously and, your comment having inspired me to double check my research, I believe I mistakenly included that piece of info here accidentally. Though the theater did (does) have a stage, I’ve found no evidence that it was used for live performances upon its opening. Thanks, I will submit a revision.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 25, 2004 at 7:47 pm

If this theatre first opened in 1932, I really doubt that it started as a vaudeville house. By that time, vaudeville was all but dead and buried. Furthermore, the nation was in the grip of an economic Depression. A theatre in a small town like Northport would have had to struggle to pay for film rentals, let alone “live” performers, musicians, and stage hands.