Grandview Theatre

1247 Grandview Avenue,
Columbus, OH 43212

meheuck
meheuck on September 6, 2008 at 12:36 am

I don’t think there was any plan to twin the auditorium itself. It’s more likely that the Franks were hoping to purchase the other storefronts, nay the entire land parcel, from its current owner, and convert those into small screening rooms.

A sad day. I was working for the Franks when they first acquired the theatre, and saw all the beautiful renovation they did to the place, and worked many long, proud hours at the theatre when it reopened. I may be hundreds of miles away now, but I’m going to miss it all the same.

monika
monika on September 4, 2008 at 5:27 pm

There actually is a stage, and space behind the screen. I think that it could host live theatre, with a little creativity and some changes to the current design.

I agree with Mark L, the idea of twinning it seems unbelievable, especially with the acoustics… That area of Grandview Heights is so special to people, and the residents so involved, I am sure the theatre will be reincarnated somehow.

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 4, 2008 at 4:50 pm

There is no stage, nor room for a backstage. Honestly, I don’t see how that theatre could be chopped up into smaller rooms…it isn’t that big to start with. ALso, the acoustics are NOT good in that room, as it is very hard to understand some dialog in there…I saw a British film there once with heavy accents, and it was almost impossible to understand what was going on.

There are a number of very successful restaurants very close by…perhaps the owner is hoping for a restaurant in that space. Wall off the back for a kitchen and put tables toward the front.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on September 4, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Here’s the Columbus Dispatch article.

If yesterday was the theatre’s 82nd anniversay, as the Dispatch article states, then the descrption above is incorrect (‘Originally opened in 1938’)

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on September 4, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Could it work as a live theatre? Does it have a real stage?

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 4, 2008 at 3:54 pm

According to the article, the owner has no plans for the building. I doubt anyone else would even try to make a go if it in there. I don’t see anyone wanting a single screen.

I’ll post if I hear anything about the space. Restaurants do well in that area, and that space could work for a nice place.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on September 4, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I’m sorry to hear this. Drexel seems to be shrinking as a chain, having shed the Arena Grand and Gateway as well.

Who will take over the Grandview?

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 4, 2008 at 12:18 pm

The Drexel Grandview will close on September 27, 2008. The theatre has been operating at a loss and without a lease for some time. Offers to purchase the building were rejected by the current owner.

Jeff & Kathy Frank will continue to operate the 3-screen Drexel Theatre in Bexley OH.

monika
monika on April 8, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Some interior shots of the Grandview:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 16, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Here is another photo of the Drexel Grandview Theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 27, 2006 at 4:08 pm

This is a recent photo of the Drexel Grandview Theater. Here is a website for this theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 12, 2005 at 5:02 pm

Here is a vintage photo of the Grandview Theater. At no extra charge, there are also vintage photos of the Arlington and Boulevard Theaters. I don’t know if those two theaters are listed on here.

Mark_L
Mark_L on October 11, 2005 at 6:49 pm

HDTV267,

I think you are mixing up the ARENA GRAND downtown with the DREXEL GRANDVIEW. The OSU games and other attractions are shown at the ARENA GRAND next to Nationwide Arena. To my knowledge, Grandview has never shown an OSU game.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on August 18, 2005 at 1:08 am

According to the Columbus Dispatch (Dispatch.com) online archives, the Grandview reopened as an independent second-run house on Wednesday, March 25, 1987, two months later than planned. It had last shown movies some time in the 1960s.

The Drexel Theatre group briefly programmed the Grandview as an art house from late October, 1988 to May, 1989, but it then returned to second runs. It closed as an independent theatre during the third weekend of May, 1992, then reopened as the Drexel Grandview on Saturday, May 8, 1993.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on May 11, 2005 at 12:05 pm

A photo of Theodore Lindenberg standing in the Grandview’s projection booth. The accompanying description identifies Lindenberg as founder of the Bexley Theatre, which sadly has been demolished.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on November 19, 2004 at 7:46 pm

This theatre is actually located not within the City of Columbus, but rather in the adjoining suburb of Grandview Heights.