Walter Reade Theater

165 West 65th Street,
New York, NY 10023

hardbop
hardbop on July 3, 2005 at 6:08 am

Hmmm. I didn’t notice any deterioration in the Walter Reade. I’ve been attending some of the Louis Malle retro screenings and it isn’t drawing all that well. French films at the Walter Reade usually are a tough ticket (try getting a ticket to the annual Rendez-vous With French Cinema ticket; even weekday afternoon screenings in that series sell out.) And I can remember going to a French series in the mid 1990s in the summer and not being able to get into “Police” because it sold out.

I have absolutely no feel for what draws/what doesn’t draw in the revival houses. I thought they would line up down the block to get a chance to see all of Malle’s output on the big screen.

chconnol
chconnol on June 27, 2005 at 3:50 am

What the hell is it with theaters NOT using the friggin' curtains anymore? Are there ANY places in NYC that DO use them?

umbaba
umbaba on June 27, 2005 at 2:41 am

I was first at the Walter Reade in 2003 for a double (separate admission of course….which was a bummer) for “Wind and the Lion' and "Once Upon a Time in the West” (beat up print, but sold out house and a great experience. The curtain opened and closed, it was an awesome time, and a nice size screen.

This past weekend I saw “Atlantic City” with a brief lecture before hand. The print was clean and it was great seeing Burt Lancaster on the big screen again. It was a good time….my only gripe??….the theater seems to be slowly dilapidating…..the curtain remained open, no presentation like experience, the walls have stains on them and there’s a certain dank like appearance…isn’t it time for the Reade to have a makeover or cleanup??? It’s too good a theater.

YMike
YMike on May 20, 2005 at 11:28 am

The Film Forum’s retro was solely Powell/Pressburger films.

hardbop
hardbop on May 20, 2005 at 9:27 am

They screened five or six of the quota quickies at this retro, but I skipped them. The WR also did a Powell retro back in ‘93 then Film Forum mounted one in '95. The Film Forum’s retro might have been solely Powell/Pressburger films.

I’d like to know why THE ELUSIVE PIMPERNAL is not screening.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on May 20, 2005 at 9:21 am

MoMA did a Powell retrospective in the 1970s. I attended a large number of those, including the ones you mention above and even some of the early British “quota quickies.”

hardbop
hardbop on May 20, 2005 at 9:02 am

I must have skipped the Italian series, probably because I’m not a big fan of the silents. Right now the WR is mounting a massive, if not quite complete retro, of Michael Powell’s films. I plan to head there tonight for ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT and THE BATTLE OF THE GRAF SPREE, both of which I’ve seen on video only. One strange omission in the WR retro is THE ELUSIVE PIMPERNAL, which, for some reason is not screening.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on May 20, 2005 at 8:53 am

I was particularly impressed with the silent Italian diva series in late 2000. They showed marvelous prints of rare movies made with legendary stars such as Francesca Bertini, Leda Gys, Pina Menichelli, Lyda Borelli, Mercedes Brignone, Carmene Boni, Italia Almirante Manzini, and others…even Eleonora Duse in her sole film “Cenere.” Live piano accompaniment was provided for each of the films, even mandolin and voice for a couple of pictures, as I remember. A terrific souvenir boooklet was available for sale.

hardbop
hardbop on May 20, 2005 at 8:32 am

I was here at the opening. I remember that those who held Film Society of Lincoln Center memberships were entitled to a free screening. One of the films was a Woody Allen film, whatever one was new at the time. The film I opted to see was Erroll Morris' documentary, A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME. There may have been another choice or two.

In any event, one thing that drives me nuts about the Walter Reade and some of the other repertory houses is the fact that when they run a retro that spans more than one calendar month the monthly calendar doesn’t list all the films in the program.

In June, the Walter Reade is mounting a mammoth Louis Malle retro, but it spans the end of June and runs well into July. However, the WR’s June program only lists the Malle films through the end of June.

I much prefer the way AMMI & the Film Forum do their calendars; they include all films in a series as opposed to the WR and MoMA, which print calendars each month.

RobertR
RobertR on December 23, 2004 at 11:16 am

There will be a screening of a new 70mm print of Jacques Tati’s “Playtime” December 29 to January 5th.