Waikiki 3

2284 Kalakaua Avenue,
Honolulu, HI 96815

GordonEvans
GordonEvans on February 15, 2005 at 10:56 pm

I have visited Honolulu six or seven times since 1988 but I only went to the movies once in Waikiki 2. The cinema was bland and did not impress me; what did was the size of popcorn serves but Australia has caught up now! I had no idea what I was missing around the corner in Waikiki 3 until I read about it in “MARQUEE” the journal of the Theatre Historical Society of America,of which I am a member. Who needs another Footlocker? I hope that color photos of Waikiki 3 will be published some day, MARQUEE was in black and white.

Gordon Evans

howell
howell on February 15, 2005 at 9:31 pm

Wow that is one amazing theatre, pretty interesting how the Brenkert machine displayed all those effects. Too bad theatres of today dont have such a a unique appeal like the Waikiki. Why cant it remain viable to stay in business ??? With all the musicians and actors out there flaunting there fabulous lifestyles, its hard to imagine some of them dont get involved in restoring these landmarks…

Patsy
Patsy on January 9, 2005 at 7:14 pm

Sadly, “was” in Hawaii!

Patsy
Patsy on January 9, 2005 at 7:12 pm

I had to add this one to my favorites just because IT’S IN HAWAII!

haoleboy
haoleboy on April 8, 2004 at 4:57 pm

Just returned from Oahu and saw what’s left of this grand old theater. Hadn’t been there since the early 50s when I lived in Waikiki for a year or so. I remember a mile-long path through gorgeous gardens leading from the ticket booth to a mile-high theater with a two-mile high balcony. At least that’s the way it seemed at the time. I recall trying to convince the ticket person once that I was 12 years old, thereby eligible for a cheaper ticket—probably something like 25 cents. The ticket person wasn’t convinced and asked when I was born. I wasn’t prepared for such a trick question and blurted out something like “1950.” I knew it was the wrong answer and figured I’d have to go to jail or something but instead I was allowed to enter after paying full price—probably 50 cents or so. I’m not sure, but I think the movie I saw that day was that first 3D movie, the jungle one, with the spears coming right out of the screen at your special 3D glasses.

MHWarner
MHWarner on March 24, 2004 at 6:52 am

Robertson Properties has IMMEDIATE plans to demolish the landmark
Waikiki Theatre to add yet another tourist trinket market to
the area. Robertson Properties is a subsidiary of Pacific Theatres in California. Strange, there is a Pacific Theatres that is a subsidiary of DISNEY. DISNEY has always prided themselves in preserving landmark theatres. They did a fantastic job with the
New Amsterdam Theatre, Times Square, New York. They did wonders with their properties in Hollywood. Is the Pacific Theatres that owns Robertson Properties the same Pacific Theatres that DISNEY owns?
Is DISNEY ordering demolition of a landmark theatre?????
M. H. Warner

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on November 28, 2003 at 3:42 pm

I was lucky enough to see “Close Encounters” in this amazing theater.

sdoerr
sdoerr on November 14, 2003 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for the link Bob, what a unique and nicely themed auditorium! Such a shame….

Jake
Jake on October 10, 2003 at 9:41 pm

I have been at the famous Waikiki 3 theater both when it had its lucious palm trees and when they closed and reopened which I remember the movie Superman 3 was the new movie that just came out then. The center of the theater was the choice place to be at and I remember when I went to see Interview With The Vampire that the theater was jammed packed. It’s sad that All 3 theaters had to go. I do hope that someone will take a second try at opening another theater in Waikiki.

BobAlder
BobAlder on October 7, 2003 at 11:24 am

Please see this webpage View link for correct information about the history of this theatre. The photo you show has no connection with the Waikiki (#3) Theatre.

RonBay
RonBay on January 16, 2003 at 10:38 am

The neat thing about this place was it was close to the ‘Key (Waikiki). Saw Hitchcock’s “The Birds” there. Had a little deja vu’ scare as I came out and a mynah bird was standing looking into the doorway on the side!!! Haha. Great memories of my 13 years stationed in Pearl.

BCarpenter
BCarpenter on December 26, 2002 at 10:23 am

I was a Consolidated projectionist in the 70’s and worked in every theater on Oahu at the time. I loved working at the old Waikiki Theater. On Friday and Saturday nights I ran a spotlight on the theater organist (I think his name was John DeMello) and ran the cloud projection equipment. What a beautiful old theater, a unique combination of Hawaiian and art deco themes. The foyer contained a fish pond with the autographs of film stars etched into metal around the four sides.

HawaiiStories
HawaiiStories on November 22, 2002 at 3:29 pm

Consolidated Theatres, Inc., announced abruptly on No. 20, 2002 that it was shuttering all three Waikiki screens, including the venerable Waikiki 3. Employees were told at 6 p.m. that they’d be working at other company theaters the next day. The owners say the Waikiki Theaters had been losing money for some time now, especially since the opening of the 16-screen megaplex at Ward.

ScottB
ScottB on November 2, 2001 at 6:27 pm

I was once employed at this theatre. What is now the Waikiki 3 Theatre opened in 1936 as a single screen atmospheric theatre. It was complete with (among other things) an artificial rainbow, tropical vegetation and coconut trees. Artificial clouds were also projected on a midnight-blue curved ceiling. The theatre was originally named the Waikiki Theatre with the change in name (to Waikiki Theatre #3) occurring in 1969 when the Waikiki Theatres #1 & 2 opened. There has never been any physical connection between the buildings. The Waikiki 3 remains a single screen facility. The photo that’s showing in this listing is incorrect…it is of the Waikiki 1 & 2. The Waikiki 3 was never a “Super Cinerama” format house.