Islip Cinemas

410 W. Main Street,
Islip, NY 11751

MPol
MPol on June 23, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Even though I don’t reside in the area, I, too am curious about what happened at the June 18th meeting.

robboehm
robboehm on June 23, 2009 at 5:57 pm

So what happened at the June 18th meeting?

RyanForsythe
RyanForsythe on June 16, 2009 at 6:59 am

If anyone feels the way I do, come down to the meeting at Islip Town Hall on June 18th at 7:30 PM.

Thank you.

Jay1
Jay1 on June 16, 2009 at 4:07 am

I believe the plans are to demolish the building. I urge you all to attend the town meeting on June 18th.

RyanForsythe
RyanForsythe on June 15, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I think its a sin to make it a child care center…the YMCA is right up the street and they offer many children programs. Not to mention the place is loaded with asbestos….

I am going to the town hearing to fight against it. It is a complete waste of an historic theater.

wally 75
wally 75 on June 15, 2009 at 8:19 pm

DROVE THROUGH ISLIP TONIGHT….AS REPORTED BY RYAN MAY 19TH..THE ISLIP SIGN IS AS BRIGHT AS THE DAY IT WAS PUT UP….THERE NOW IS A PUBLIC NOTICE ON THE DOOR FOR THURS JUNE 18TH AT 7PM TO BE HELD AT ISLIP TOWN HALL…
SOMEONE WANTS TO MAKE IT A CHILD CARE CENTER…
ANY IDEAS ? ANY THOUGHTS?

MPol
MPol on May 20, 2009 at 10:10 am

All the best of luck. Here’s hoping the Islip Theatre gets restored and running movies again. People should not be deprived.

RyanForsythe
RyanForsythe on May 19, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Passed by the theater today to see about 3 or more men working on the inside and outside. They took down the board covering the old “Islip” sign, which is now illuminated again! I am going to stop in there tomorrow if I see them and see whats going on.

Ryan

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 12, 2009 at 1:27 pm

You’re welcome, MPol. I’ve never lived in the area either. In fact I’ve only been to Long Island three times: a Queen concert in 1975, a Bruce Springsteen concert on May 4th of this year (both at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale), and a pilgrimage to visit the grave of Bernard Herrmann, the greatest film music composer ever, in Elmont.

MPol
MPol on May 12, 2009 at 6:32 am

Hey, Bill Huelig. Even though I’ve never resided in the area, I love that photobucket picture of the “mismatched double feature movies”! That’s so cool! Thanks for this. Yup, the 1960’s sure were a cool time for movies!

wally 75
wally 75 on May 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm

START WITH C OF C…

drummer
drummer on May 11, 2009 at 8:36 am

OK, I have someone who wants to inquire about how to take over the theater and get it up and running…….. does anyone know who he should contact and what their contact info is? Thanks!
Ken from the Spoonful-O-Blues band

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 11, 2009 at 8:07 am

Could the Islip Theater have presented the most hilariously mismatched double feature of all time back in December 1964? See what you think:

The ‘60s sure were a wacky time.

Bway
Bway on April 20, 2009 at 7:32 am

I drove by the Islip the other day, and it looks totally deserted. I hope it reopens for something one day.

drummer
drummer on April 17, 2009 at 10:51 am

Hi,

I performed at this theater many times with many different bands (Spoonful-O-Blues many times, also with Kenny Baum and JoshuaLittleSteam and others), and everyone loved the place. The lobby has beautiful old time charm, the upstairs stage (where we played) sits around 300, and all the feedback we received from the audience was that they loved the venue as well. In fact, if anyone is interested, visit http://www.spoonful-o-blues.com/Islip_Pavilion.htm to see us on that stage (from near and far from the stage), and even a few pics from outside. Someone needs to jump in with the knowhow and make this place come alive again….. we would love to play there again (management tolds us we brought in a nice profit everytime we played there, in case anyone does get this charming place going again!) :–)

R0YALTY83
R0YALTY83 on April 15, 2009 at 10:34 am

ok sorry for the misunderstanding. so if you or anyone else knows whats going on with this theater or if it is for sale or ANYTHING please let me know. thanks!

wally 75
wally 75 on April 14, 2009 at 10:38 pm

mrg83

[good for you], wasn’t a cut, if you read the last line
of your post “ i grew up in islip ”….and would hate
theater turned into something else etc.
it was the strong feelings you have for the islip theater and your town…as do i..see posts from feb 10th 2007…

R0YALTY83
R0YALTY83 on April 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm

good for me? wow

wally 75
wally 75 on April 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm

good for you..but i don’t either…i wish clearview would take it over..they only have babylon in this county..has anyone heard whats going on…

R0YALTY83
R0YALTY83 on April 13, 2009 at 8:25 pm

hello, i would like to get in contact with (ryan) or the owner of this building. if anyone could help me out please contact me asap! i grew up in islip. i would hate for this building to be turned into somthing we do not want. thanks!

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 29, 2009 at 9:10 pm

If its Cinema Treasures page is correct, James Poro’s East Islip Theatre had already been open for a decade when he is supposed to have begun building the mystery theater in Islip itself. I can’t find any evidence that Poro’s theater on Main Street ever opened.

wally 75
wally 75 on March 29, 2009 at 8:03 pm

could that have been the east islip?

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 1, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Here’s a puzzle for Islipers (Islipians? Islipites?) The January 19, 1946, issue of Boxoffice Magazine ran an article about a contretemps in Islip. Prudential Playhouses, a regional theater circuit, had broken ground for a movie theater on Main Street at Smith Avenue (which is the location of the Islip Theater.) A group of citizens protested the location, saying it was too close to churches and a school, and would generate too much traffic.

William Egelman, President of the Chamber of Commerce and spokesman for the theater’s opponents, denied that the opposition was motivated by the fact that James Poro, operator of the East Islip Theatre, was already building an 800 seat theater on Main Street a couple of blocks from the site of the proposed Prudential house, and it was scheduled to open in April.

Prudential said that they’d already gotten to go-ahead from the town authorities, that the town had originally approached them asking them to build in Islip, and that they had heard of no opposition from residents before breaking ground. Their spokesman added that they had been planning to build in Islip for four years, and that there was no ordinance prohibiting the construction of theaters near schools or churches.

So here’s the puzzle: As the Islip Theater is in the location Prudential wanted to build at (so they must have gone ahead with their project), what became of James Poro’s theater on Main Street? Did Islip support two theaters for a while? Did Poro decide to pull out of his theater project before Prudential’s house opened, and convert his building to some other use? Is the building he had under construction in 1946 still there, and can anybody identify its exact location?

The Google Maps satellite view of Islip shows only one building on Main Street about two blocks from this theater that looks large enough to have held an 800 seat theater, on the south side of the street opposite the end of Locust Avenue. Unfortunately, Google has no street view available for this location so I can’t check to see if the facade looks at all theater-like.