Broadway Theatre

512 Broadway Street,
Buffalo, NY 14204

PGlenat
PGlenat on September 28, 2006 at 5:04 am

The terra cotta facade still appears to be in remarkable condition considering the age of the building. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for the rest of the building judging from recent photos I’ve seen. A notice to vacate the premises was posted by the Buffalo buildings department over a year ago against the most recent owners of record (God’s Holy Temple). Although the building is supposed to be boarded up and secured, a side door was open. Bulldozers are in the area demolishing the neighboring abandoned Buffalo Forge site. Could the Broadway theatre be next? It’s highly unlikely, given the urban blight in the surrounding area, that any white knight will
appear on the horizon in time to rescue the theatre from ultimate demolition.

elegant
elegant on September 28, 2006 at 1:44 am

The theatre does have a stage. I can’t say if it was original, but it does have a stage at this point in time. Records inside show attendance lists for a Muhammed Temple of Islam dated 1969 and 1970. There are 2 pianos on the main floor, the entry way has been painted purple, some seats left, in bad shape of course. No noticable grafitti. The sign outside was for the Joy Temple. Photos coming at http://www.institutionalgreen.com in the next few days.

JohnBasil
JohnBasil on July 12, 2006 at 4:45 pm

I am just finishing up the order of pictures then it will be off to the publisher. I will leave a notice here on the web site when it comes out. Thank you for your interest

Bway
Bway on June 8, 2006 at 2:52 pm

When will your book be coming out?

JohnBasil
JohnBasil on December 15, 2005 at 5:12 pm

In addition to true theater history, my book will reveal how and why Michael Shea never owned or built a “Sheas” Theater with many true stories and photos to be included

JohnBasil
JohnBasil on December 15, 2005 at 5:09 pm

Yes Bway I am the son of Bill Basil one of the four Basil Bros. who owned Motion picture theaters. I was born 1929 and into the theater business most of my life.

PGlenat
PGlenat on December 10, 2005 at 4:45 am

I can’t wait for that book to be published!

The Broadway is located on Buffalo’s east side in the ‘war zone’ of abandoned and derelict buildings, as well as weed strewn vacant lots.
The last time I was past the theatre it looked abandoned with graffiti adorning the walls. I have no idea what the interior must be like. Quite probably anything of value has long since been removed. Given the location I’m quite sure security is a problem.

Bway
Bway on December 10, 2005 at 12:37 am

John, are you a relative of the “Basils” of this theater, or is this just a cooincidence?

JohnBasil
JohnBasil on December 9, 2005 at 2:07 pm

Style – Classic Function – motion pictures Seats – 942 Chain Basil Theaters Inc. (which consisted of 4 brothers)
The Broadway Theater by 1932 was part of the chain of Basil Theaters, Inc. It was remodeled and seating was 942.
Yes, a very impressive front to this day. I managed theaters in London, England for Associated British Cinemas and also in the United States for Dipson and Basil (my familys firm). For questions I may be reached here or at 716-834-0348
My book True Theater History should be released within a year and will cover the Nationwide tragedy of “Illegal Schemes” against theater owners.

Patsy
Patsy on December 15, 2004 at 1:58 am

Bryan: When I clicked on the word ‘here’ I found the site entitled Buffalo’s Forgotten Theaters. Thank you!

Bway
Bway on October 20, 2004 at 3:34 pm

A current status on this theater for anyone that knows would also be appreciated.