Goldman Theatre

30 S. 15th Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19102

finkysteet
finkysteet on February 27, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Thought I read somewhere that the Goldman was once called the Tycoon theater many moons ago. Any truth to this?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 17, 2009 at 5:22 pm

This is from Boxoffice magazine in June 1946:

PHILADELPHIA-It is nearly time for the new William Goldman house at 15th and Chestnut Streets to make its bow, and rumors are circulating as to what picture Goldman will get for the premiere. It is believed that “The Kid from Brooklyn” with Danny Kaye may be the opening show.

veyoung52
veyoung52 on January 25, 2009 at 9:05 am

Does anybody else remember the ridiculous law suit those Budco people tried to bring against the Philadelphia film critics who publicly decried United Artists' decision to book “Apocalypse Now” into this breath-takingly awful theatre? I’ve spoken to one of those critics since then…it all came to naught…the public stayed away from the Goldman in droves…and the suit was dropped. It would be difficult to find a worse theatre in the Philadelphia area nowadays…I said “difficult,”….not “impossible”

finkysteet
finkysteet on July 14, 2008 at 12:09 am

Hi, everyone. Call me crazy, but I adored those “vertical bow tie” lighting fixtures inside the auditorium. They emitted an orange glow during the film, then white during intermission. And above it were two floodlights (yecch!) on each fixture. When they were demolishing the place in ‘84, I stood on the steps of the old Meridian Bldg. and watched part of my childhood vanish before my eyes. Among the films I saw there were “Claudine,” “Meatballs,” and “The Dirty Dozen.” It was probably my 2nd-favorite theater (Boyd, #1!)

And yes, when it “twinned,” it was horrible. We could hear the audio of the film next door through the wall, and they had the nerve to paint the wall color from dark green to white.

veyoung52
veyoung52 on July 2, 2008 at 2:44 pm

A shame, of course, that no one has photos of the auditorium, where, surprise!, surprise!, “the action was.”

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 2, 2008 at 1:17 pm

originally from Philadelphia City Archives, 1959 with Porgy and Bess on the marquee!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 16, 2008 at 8:00 am

So 2/84 was the demolition date. I lived at 15th and Pine until September 1984, so I guess I wasn’t paying attention. Thanks for the info, Howard. We Philly lawyers have to stick together, right?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 26, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Nah, there’s a photo of it being demolished and a Feb 24, 1984 letter to the editor of Philadelphia Inquirer by Irvin R. Glazer reprinted (and referring to the photo) on back cover of 3rd Q 2003 Marquee of the Theatre Historical Society of America. It would be improper if I scanned & posted it, but as a THS member, I can tell you that most of the back issues are avail for purchase. THS has its own website. That issue has an entire section on the Goldman including the Stairway image which I posted above. (independently of THS, I have an original print of the Stairway image). Gorgeous photos of some Philadelphia movie palaces, and write-ups, are also in the same issue.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 26, 2007 at 5:57 pm

I moved out of Center City in June 1984. Does anyone know when in 1984 the theater was demolished? I believe it was still there when I left.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 22, 2007 at 7:12 am

Photo by Dennis Zimmerman of Funny Girl in 70 mm on the marquee (before the twinning that horrified Vince):
Thanks to Dennis for taking the photo and for allowing it to be posted.

veyoung52
veyoung52 on July 15, 2007 at 9:45 am

And it was a mess! An absolute insult to moviegoers. As a friend of mine said after its twinning, “I wouldn’t go to that theatre if it were the last building on earth with oxygen!”

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 15, 2007 at 9:00 am

My notes from old newspaper accounts are that at opening, there were more than 1200 seats plus 200 seats in the loge.
Later, in Feb. 1972, Budco bought the Goldman moviehouses.
As a twin, it reopened October 2, 1974 with each auditorium being 500 or 600 seats.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 12, 2007 at 10:54 am

Here is another photo, circa 1951:

carnitaw32
carnitaw32 on January 20, 2007 at 7:56 am

I want to thank you guys for your help. After visiting the Imdb website I remembered a line from the movie which was “MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY” when I entered that in the search box the movie named “CANNIBAL ferox” appeared. However it’s american name was “MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY”. It was actually banned in 37 countries and it is exactly as I remember it, however it was 3 anthropologist who visited the island….. well check out the rest for yourselves at http://www.Imdb.com/title/tt0082700/ thanks again!!

JKane
JKane on January 20, 2007 at 6:16 am

Sounds like it might be CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1985), now available on DVD.

carnitaw32
carnitaw32 on January 19, 2007 at 8:14 pm

i’m searching for anyone who remembers the very last movied played at the GOLDMAN. This movie was so gorey at it’s showing(equal to Saw or Seven today) that it was banned fron 20 other countries, however the GOLDMAN was closing down and showed the movie anyway! If anyone has any info on the name of the movie please contact me at Some how my memory keep telling me it was called I’ll Eat Your Brains! It was about a group of filmmakers who went to a island to shoot a movie of the local primative tribe, when the cheifs daughter was accidently shot by a real gun instead of the prop gun, the locals showed the film crew why they were so isolated and primative…..because they were cannibles. oh my good it was a great horror at that time, the GOLDMAN even passed out barf bags!!! Please help me in my search!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 26, 2006 at 6:19 am

Photos, including of the interior, have appeared here:

iobdennis
iobdennis on March 16, 2006 at 4:44 am

I went here a many times as a kid and into my late teens, and remember seeing “Dr. No” on a sneak preview with “Mondo Cane”!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 6, 2005 at 2:31 pm

Now that I think about it, everyone is correct except me. Blame it on old age and a bad memory.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on September 3, 2005 at 6:45 pm

Market Street is not south of Chestnut Street. Market Street is north of Chestnut Street, so that will make Veyoung and Andy P right. The 000 Block of South 15th Street starts at Market Street and ends at Chestnut Street. The 100 block of south 15th Street starts at Chestnut Street and ends at Walnut Street

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 3, 2005 at 3:23 pm

By the way, I recall another classic film that was shown at the Goldman – Yor, Hunter of the Future. If anyone else has heard of this film, hats off to you.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 3, 2005 at 3:22 pm

Market Street is south of Chestnut. If the theater was above Chestnut, it would be between Chestnut and Sansom Streets. It can’t be above Chestnut and still be between Chestnut and Market. Isn’t it great that we can argue about the location of a movie theater that was torn down twenty years ago?

veyoung52
veyoung52 on September 3, 2005 at 5:28 am

Ken MC, you’re right except for one fact. The Goldman was on 15th Street just ABOVE Chestnut and below Market. It was the second Philadelphia area theatre to install 70mm projection (1958 for “Sleeping Beauty”)