Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

vinceiuliano
vinceiuliano on September 22, 2004 at 11:46 pm

My uncle Norman Herman was an usher at the Capitol too. Please write to me Elwyn? I’m preparing a book on my family and your memories of that time would be invaluable! ()

Standing there in his usher’s uniform, his sister and friends would sometimes tease him. Also they tell me they threw peanut shells over the balcony to hear them loudly crunch as people walked past in the dark.

I too saw 2001 there in 1968 (breathtaking, although the movie COULD drag in spots) and (I seem to recall) GWTW as well. The screen was HUGE. What a beautiful theater. Like the demolition of Penn Station and so many other landmark spots, another testament to the short sightedness of city planners.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 23, 2004 at 11:36 pm

Those photos are breathtaking. This is the first I’ve seen of the Capitol’s interior. Wow! And it kills me to know that I was alive when the theater closed (though still a youngster living in the suburbs.) Actually, maybe I should kill my parents instead for not realizing what we were about to lose and taking me to see it.

William
William on July 23, 2004 at 7:40 pm

In 1965, United Artists held the largest outdoor barbecue ever held on Broadway in connection with the 24 hour world premiere of “The Halleljah Trail”.

JamesMannix
JamesMannix on July 22, 2004 at 3:39 pm

As it seems many saw 2001at the Capital…I saw it a week after the grand opening but don’t remember if it was the print before the editing and new titles where inserted.
THe theatre as remembered was immense and even though the cinerama was faux the film was wonderful……

JimRankin
JimRankin on July 17, 2004 at 10:54 pm

The sad fact is that the drapery treatment (which happened in various forms to many movie palaces) was due to the advent of wide screen projection. The new super wide screens could usually not be contained behind the proscenium, so they usually hacked away the sides of the proscenium arch and sometimes the organ screens too, and then draped over the damage since they were too cheap to redesign the plaster ornament to accommodate the new ‘look.’ Usually, the draperies added nothing to the acoustics or the decor. At least in the CAPITOL they used more expensive and decorative contour draperies for both the screen and to divide the balcony when they were not expecting a full house — something rare after TV and the arrival of shopping center cinemas. Note how the drapery was not extended all the way across the ceiling else it would have blocked the projector’s throw from the booth ports seen in the back wall. The fourth comment from the top describes the situation for the CAPITOL. Who would have thought that after all that expense for the screens/cinerama/escalator/new draperies (which were no doubt motorized and quite costly!), that in only six years they would toss it all when the place was demolished?!

IanJudge
IanJudge on July 17, 2004 at 3:08 pm

Those photos of the Capitol are awesome and heartbreaking. It is especially interesting to see the before/after pictures of the proscenium when it was shrouded in drapery. Was this done for aesthetic reasons (the whole ‘modern’ look that Loew’s seemed to push in the late fifties) or for acoustical reasons? Or both? I notice the Loew’s State photos show great alterations and similar drapery. And yet, even when these ornate auditoriums were draped and modernized, they remained impressive spaces. It is truly a shame that not one of these old NY houses was saved.

umbaba
umbaba on July 17, 2004 at 9:35 am

peter…great site. Are there any other theater pics on this site?

itinerama
itinerama on July 17, 2004 at 2:33 am

For about 30 photos of the Capitol go to
enter capitol theater in the search site for lots of cinerama screen photos etc

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on July 16, 2004 at 5:56 pm

I too saw 2001 here, as a nose picker of 9 years old (am now a nose picker of 46!) Scared the bejesus out of me when the apes smashed to bones and that spooky singing whenever the obeslisk appeared.

Funny thing is that I clearly recall the embyro sort of smirking and perhaps even giving short wave at the very end but have never seen this since (the original viewing). Could this perhaps have been deleted from the original 158 minute version? If so, then I guess I was lucky enough to have seen this! Didn’t this theater have a large (wide) escalator too? Thanks.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 16, 2004 at 4:27 pm

The Capitol was the lead theatre in one of the NYC area’s first major saturation releases, which took place in 1947 when David O. Selznick’s “Duel in the Sun” opened simultaneously at the Capitol and 38 Loew’s neighborhood theatres. This was done partly to justify a huge advertising campaign, and partly in anticipation of unfavorable press reviews and word-of-mouth. The movie did huge business, and continued at the Capitol exclusively for several weeks after the Loew’s circuit run ended.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 12, 2004 at 12:17 pm

MGM later paired the Capitol and Astor for “Quo Vadis” with the same policy, continuous at the Capitol and reserved seats at the Astor…In its original booking in 1939-40, “Gone With the Wind” ran for 12 weeks at the Capitol, and grossed a total of $780,000. It was shown three times a day, at 75 cents per seat for the first two shows and $1.10 at night (loges slightly higher). The biggest single week was the second, which included the Christmas-New Year’s period and grossed $85,000. The Astor gave only two reserved-seat performances per day and consistently sold out at $23,000 per week. The Astor reserved-seat run continued for about two months after GWTW closed at the Astor and even when the movie moved into the Loew’s “nabes.” On February 1, 1940, GWTW opened in downtown Brooklyn at Loew’s Metropolitan, playing simultaneously with the Capitol and Astor and at the same 75 cents-$1.10 price scale as the Capitol. The Capitol run ended March 6, 1940, but Loew’s Met continued until March 21st, when GWTW moved exclusively to Loew’s Paradise in the Bronx and Loew’s Valencia in Queens, then gradually to the other Loew’s houses in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx. All of these bookings were at the same “continuous” three shows per day and the 75 cents-$1.10 price scale.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 12, 2004 at 10:27 am

The abbreviation for advertisement is “ad,” not “add.” And the plural is “ads,” not “adds.” I’ve seen this mistake so often that I don’t think it can be blamed on a typing error.

RobertR
RobertR on July 11, 2004 at 7:40 pm

The ad for From Here to Eternity blows me away the doors opened at 7am and the first show was at 730 to accomidate the overflow crowds. Those were truely ther glory days.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on July 11, 2004 at 5:23 pm

I left out the most famous film from the New York Times movie adds to play the Capitol,1939’s “Gone With The Wind” which opened on
Tuesday December 19th at 8:30PM. The Astor Theatre also opened with “Gone With The Wind” with reserved seats but the Capitol no reserved seats. The Add also states “Gone With The Wind” will not be shown except at advanced prices at least until 1941.brucec

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on July 11, 2004 at 1:53 pm

Here are a few more films that have played the Capitol over the years.I have the New York Times movie Adds for the following films.
Aug 1934 Treasure Island
Dec 1935 A Night at the Opera
Jan 1937 Camille
Aug 1939 The Wizard of Oz
Oct 1940 The Great Dictator
Jul 1947 The Hucksters
Feb 1952 The African Queen
Aug 1953 From Here To Eternity
Jun 1954 The Caine Mutiny
Feb 1961 The Misfits
Mar 1962 Sweet Bird of Youth
Aug 1967 In The Heat of the Night
Feb 1968 The Planet of the Apes
Apr 1968 2001: A Space Odyssey
The Capitol was one of the most important movie palaces in the United States. It was the flagship theatre of Metro-Goldywn-Mayer which was considered the Tiffany’s of the movie studios during this period of time.brucec

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 1, 2004 at 4:09 pm

The Capitol was not the “first” purpose-built movie palace. In New York City, it was preceded by the Regent, Strand, Rialto, and Rivoli. And let’s not forget Loew’s Metropolitan in downtown Brooklyn, which was larger than the Regent, Strand, Rialto and Rivoli, and also a prototype of the Captitol. I can’t speak for the rest of the USA. The “first” could well have been elsewhere than in NYC. But the Capitol was definitely “not” the first movie palace. I’m shocked that Theatre Historical Society of America, of which I’m a member, claims that. They have not done their research!

JimRankin
JimRankin on July 1, 2004 at 1:36 pm

What was the very first movie palace? It turns out that it was the famous CAPITOL of New York City in 1919, and this is the story of how that was determined. Was the AL RINGLING theatre of the 8,000-resident Baraboo, Wis. in 1915 the very first movie palace? That was the question asked of the “History Detectives” TV show in the autumn of 2003, but an earlier TV program led one to believe that The NEW AMSTERDAM theatre of New York city of 1903 was the first. In the VHS video “America’s Castles: Movie Palaces” produced in the year 2000, detailed at Amazon.com: ( View link ), several theatres are shown as examples of the American movie palace, and the impression is given that it was the NEW AMSTERDAM of 1903 that was the first. Contrary to this idea (which suited the photographic aims of the producers of this originally cable-TV program), the idea of what was the very first Movie Palace will depend upon just how one defines that phenomenon. When the producers of the 2003 PBS TV series “History Detectives” (viewable as a PDF file at: View link ) were asked if the AL RINGLING THEATRE in Baraboo, Wis. was the very first movie palace, they turned to the nationally recognized authority on the subject for the answer: The Theatre Historical Soc. of America ( www.HistoricTheatres.org ) and asked their Ex. Dir. what the Society’s standard was. Ex. Dir. Richard Sklenar replied that for a theatre to have been a movie palace it had to have been (1) built as a movie theatre, (2) have a workable stage, and (3) have more than 1,000 seats. By that composite standard neither the NEW AMSTERDAM nor the AL RINGLING ( http://www.alringling.com/ )qualify, and they determined that the CAPITOL THEATRE of New York City in 1919 was the first. Therefore, while the NEW AMSTERDAM did show movies for part of its life, it could not be called a “movie palace” by the usual and customary definition of the term since it was NOT built to show movies, even if it is shown in a commercially produced video on the subject. Since the RINGLING’S seating is only 800, that would disqualify it on that basis alone, but its palatial decor was not lost on the Balaban&Katz theatre chain of Chicago when they were invited to see the RINGLING and were inspired by it to the extent of hiring its architects, Rapp&Rapp of Chicago, to do their forthcoming movie palaces, starting with the CHICAGO in 1921, followed by a great many others throughout the nation, but Thomas Lamb’s CAPITOL takes ‘first’ place.

reeder
reeder on June 30, 2004 at 8:39 pm

I worked as an usher at the Capitol in 1946. I remember being posted many times to stand at the base of the beautiful white marble staircase during the shows. While I was there they always played one movie and a stage show. For example, “The Postman Always Rings Twice” was paired with Guy Lombardo and his orchestra on stage, and “Two Sisters from Boston” ran along with The Ritz Brothers on stage. A special experience occured while “Two Sisters from Boston”, which had Jimmy Durante in its cast, was playing. Loews Inc. gave a party in a local night club to honor Jimmy Durante on his 20th Anniversay in show business. They asked several of us from the Capitol if we would work the party. I was assigned the front door to identify guests and keep out gate crashers. The guests included many of the greats of show business of that time. I visited Times Square a couple of weeks ago. It didn’t seem the same without that sign down the street reading “Capitol” which is so visible in the Times Square scenes of many old movies.

deleted user

Cheyenne Autumn [1964] [Exhibited in 70mm Cinerama process]
Doctor Zhivago [1965]
The Hallelujah Trail [1965]
2001 a space odyssey [1968]

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2004 at 1:36 pm

36 years ago today at this very minute (1:30 PM show) I was about to experience the ultimate trip, “2001: A Space Odyssey” on the Capitol’s incredible Cinerama screen. Just wanted to commemmorate the life-changing event.

regenthr
regenthr on May 28, 2004 at 10:42 am

I was in the Capitol during my first visit to NYC in 1962. Sadly it had been ‘Cineramarised’, and the original architecture covered up. I didn’t realize till years later that the auditorium of our Regent Theatre Melbourne was a copy of the Capitol! I have lived with the Regent for most of my life, helping to save it from demolition. When I can get a photo put up, you will see ‘the Capitol’! Only difference, after the 1945 fire, the proscenium was squared off. I am always happy to correspond with anybody re this theatre and more info or additional photos.

regenthr
regenthr on May 28, 2004 at 10:40 am

regenthr
regenthr on May 28, 2004 at 10:40 am

regenthr
regenthr on May 28, 2004 at 10:39 am

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on May 28, 2004 at 9:46 am

I remember walking through Times Square with my parents in December at the time William describes being blown away by all the colorful marquees and signs(the Criterion had a couple of Funny Girl logos spinning aroung on the marquee.) There was a huge block long sign for Star above the Astor and Victoria. How I wanted to go into every theater!
However my parents went to get advance tickets for Promises Promises at the Shubert and I remember looking into the deep chasm where the Astor Plaza was about go up. Little did I know that what had been there was the great Astor Hotel and this was New York’s first step in the destruction of its greatest neighborhood.