Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 826 - 850 of 1,285 comments

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 13, 2008 at 8:38 pm

You must have caught them on a bad night, Mark. I’ve seen plenty of stuff in the regular Arclight theatres and the bass was excellent – most notablym the score in “There Will Be Blood” was PUMPIN in there!

RogerA
RogerA on May 13, 2008 at 10:14 am

Re-premiere of It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World at the Cinerama Dome twenty years ago. Lots of familiar faces.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

KramSacul
KramSacul on May 11, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Went to a showing of Iron Man in theater 10. Was dreading seeing it on film but it ended up being digital. Bravo for getting that sorted out. The bad part is that the picture quality throughout was unnaturally soft, like the image was purposely unfocused. I hope it’s not stuck like that. I rather see a sharp detailed picture with occasional jaggies than a mushy image.

Besides the Dome none of the Arclight theaters have decent bass do they? Sounded pretty weak.

Steve2
Steve2 on May 7, 2008 at 2:44 am

I absolutely loved the 70MM curved screen format of the 1960’s. You people in L.A. are sooooooo lucky. I’m jealous!!

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on May 5, 2008 at 8:17 am

Yikes — this is the first I’m hearing about it. We’ll look into it. Thanks for letting me know.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 5, 2008 at 4:19 am

Ross: can you check out what happened to the Ziegfeld’s page? It’s been dead for a week. I sent an e-mail through the proper channels but got no response. Thanks!

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on May 4, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Just to throw my two cents in here: anything related to the Cinerama Dome and/or Arclight Cinemas, past or present, is fair game. I love hearing about its past as well as its present and future. As someone who enjoys the Dome (and will be attending two shows in the Dome this month), I love hearing about what’s going on. Thanks Rizzo and everyone for keeping these theaters alive through your hard work, your wallets, and your memories.

FrenchKitty
FrenchKitty on May 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Hi Kram Sacul. Thanks for the reply, but I have tix for Indy, not Iron Man.

haineshisway
haineshisway on May 4, 2008 at 10:54 am

Rizzo, no one was asking you to stay away or not talk about the Dome – in fact, they should do a separate thing for the multiplex part of the Arclight. But if you scroll up you’ll see a lot of stuff that isn’t pertinent and it’s not just this theater, but a lot of them. There’s nothing wrong with a messageboard, but I don’t think Cinema Treasures created this site to act as a typical messageboard. No one is a “hater.” But a lot of us are fans of Golden Age cinemas and have no interest whatsoever about what is showing where in digital projection.

KramSacul
KramSacul on May 4, 2008 at 4:40 am

So no digital showings in any of the regular theaters I guess. Bummer. I’d even settle for watching it in 1k. What happened to those older DLPs?

French Kitty, Iron Man isn’t playing at the Village. It’s at the AVCO though. Yuck.

FrenchKitty
FrenchKitty on May 4, 2008 at 1:11 am

Hi – I have tickets for Indy at the Dome in Row EE, near the center. I’m a little worried because back when Episode 3 was there, I sat in the 2nd section on the floor, maybe row JJ or so. There was a head blocking part of my view the whole time. It really bummed me out, and I couldn’t really focus on the movie. Since then I’ve pretty much always sat in the first or second row, so I’m not sure what the view is like from Row EE with a full house. Any opinions on Row EE being better than Row JJ in terms of less chance of a blocked view? I realize a really tall person may sit in front of me, but if an average-height person does? I’m thinking standing in line at the Village may be better than having a reserved seat with a possible a blocked view at the Dome. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cliffs
Cliffs on May 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm

So, unless there is something I missed, Ironman in the Dome definitely appeared to be digital projection. I saw both the 8PM and the midnight on Thursday and I noticed nothing to indicate film. There were no changeover markers anywhere through the film nor were there any print defects or dirt visible.

BTW, the midnight Dome show was outstanding. During the Arclight’s usual intro to the film, Jon Favreau came running out to thank everyone for coming and apologizing to the audience (originally the midnight show was the first show until they later added an 8PM show, effectively screwing those who wanted to see it first and rushed to buy those midnight tickets). As atonement, he brought out Robert Downey, Jr to a standing ovation. RDJ thanked everyone as well, commenting that he could still remember when you could smoke pot in the Dome and not get in trouble for it. It was a great show and the midnight audience was waayy more pumped up for the show than they were at 8.

But it definitely seemed like digital projection.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 3, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Yo, Rizzo! Y'all did a helluva job with “Iron Man!” Sound/Picture were pitch perfect. My film club members had a blast. We can’t wait for Indy!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 3, 2008 at 7:01 am

I always figured as long as we’re talking about movies here, past present or future, it’s fair game. I know what JSA means about some of the other pages getting clogged with hundreds of posts about the old neighborhood, etc., but not necessarily about going to the movies in that neighborhood. The 2nd most posted-about theater on Cinema Treasures, the Ridgewood in Queens NY, is totally undeserving of that high rank if you deleted all the non-movie-related posts from its page.

So, Rizzo, please stay. You’ve NEVER gone off-topic as far as I can see!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 2, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Rizzo, you are our unofficial “inside man” at Arclight/The Dome. Screw the haters! We need you!

JSA
JSA on May 2, 2008 at 11:44 am

Rizzo,

I do not imply that this thread should be used exclusively for historical purpose. I value your contributions and comments, and always look forward to know what’s going on with the theatre. My point is that I would not like to see this thread turn into like some of the others in this site, where they have become a depository of high school reunion messages and other topics that have nothing to do with the theater itself. If any offense was taken by you or any of the other contributors to this thread, I sincerely apologize.

JSA

JSA
JSA on May 1, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Well, I agree 50-50. On one hand, I don’t particularly care if “Iron Man” or whatever will play at the Avco or the Village. That topic belongs elsewhere. But on the other hand, digital projection, regardless of how we feel on the issue, has been part of the Dome’s history for some time now, and will play an even bigger part in its future. So I feel any discussion pertaining to digital projection as related to the Dome is appropriate.

JSA

haineshisway
haineshisway on May 1, 2008 at 2:22 pm

You know, I don’t mean to offend, but this is really irritating – this is supposed to be a board about the Cinerama Dome, and so much of it is about these new films and where they’re doing this and where they’re doing that – and unfortunately all these pointless posts come to my mailbox and take up space until I can delete them.

Here’s an idea – why doesn’t someone start a separate message board for digital projection and what’s showing where and leave this one to posts about the Cinerama Dome and its history.

End of mini-rant. Flame away.

KramSacul
KramSacul on April 30, 2008 at 10:56 pm

//Isn’t “Iron Man” booked into the Avco, not the Village?

You’re right. The Harold and Kumar flick will still be playing there on Friday. Really bad booking by Paramount.

RogerA
RogerA on April 30, 2008 at 6:35 pm

this is a better way to get to the footage of the re-premiere of It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

RogerA
RogerA on April 30, 2008 at 3:16 pm

anyone who wants to view footage of the re-premiere of It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World can view it at [url=http://youtube.com/results?search_query=roger+antoniotti&search_t
ype=] it is in three parts

William
William on April 30, 2008 at 6:39 am

Isn’t “Iron Man” booked into the Avco, not the Village?

Giles
Giles on April 30, 2008 at 6:28 am

wait I’m confused did Paramount change their minds and are releasing Indy 4 in DLP.