Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 826 - 850 of 1,235 comments

markinthedark
markinthedark on April 13, 2008 at 2:54 pm

If I’m in LA in May I’ll be at the Village to watch me some good old fashioned film. If I am in Seattle, hopefully Indy at the Cinerama. If they do strike a 70mm print, I will be at that theatre…Just wish I could have seen it at The National.

KramSacul
KramSacul on April 13, 2008 at 1:25 pm

But no 2k DLP or cranked sound. Also no architexture, no curtains…. damn you Paramount. Don’t make me have to go to Westwood Village.

JRandell
JRandell on April 12, 2008 at 3:51 pm

There’s always the two largest Arclight houses, which I actually tend to prefer to Grauman’s most of the time. Much shorter throw to the screen (and not nearly as many annoying customers).

KramSacul
KramSacul on April 12, 2008 at 3:29 pm

The Dome will be getting Iron Man AND Indy 4? That’s pretty disappointing as I was looking forward to seeing them at Grauman’s where there’s actually light on the screeen.

JSA
JSA on April 11, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Bill: I don’t think that there was any argument at all between Lucas and Spielberg relative to film vs. digital, at least concerning Indy 4. Spielberg chose film for creative reasons, to evoke the same look and feel as the previous pictures. And in addition to film, “traditional” (i.e. non-CGI) special effects and stunts were used as much as possible. It seems to me that Lucas would embrace that approach as well, regardless of his interest in digital formats.

JSA

JRandell
JRandell on April 11, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Iron Man has been confirmed for Arclight.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 11, 2008 at 9:28 am

I wonder if there were any big arguments between Lucas and Spielberg over digital projection? They’re on completely opposite ends of the spectrum on that issue.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 11, 2008 at 9:04 am

Looks like that was just a RUMOR as of February 2008:

Got another question for you Rizzo: Are y'all getting “Iron Man” at the Dome? I’m asking because I run a (almost) 600 member film club in town that gets together every week to catch the latest flicks all over SoCal. Our group is planning to catch “Iron Man” on opening night. I ASSUMED Grauman’s would be showing it…but after the Indy 4 news, I’m wondering if it’ll be at Arclight Hollywood/The Dome instead.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 11, 2008 at 8:52 am

I thought Spielberg already announced that there would be no digital prints AT ALL for Indy 4. Let me do the research…

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 11, 2008 at 3:47 am

Thanks, Rizzo. It’s a comforting feeling to know that someone who cares about Cinerama as much as you do is on the case!

JRandell
JRandell on April 11, 2008 at 1:05 am

Sigh….all that build up for something I’ve known for months (and I thought others knew). I was hoping 70mm news.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 10, 2008 at 9:43 am

I’ve only seen one movie at the Chinese, “School of Rock”, which doesn’t show the theater and screen off to its very best advantage, but I’d say the Dome has the better screen between the two. It’s that curve – some people say it’s a liability but I think it’s amazing. It’s the best place to show “Indiana Jones”.

Flix70
Flix70 on April 10, 2008 at 9:16 am

Indy IV really shouldn’t be a shocker since Lucasfilm’s Revenge of the Sith bypassed the Chinese and opened at the Dome in 2005.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 10, 2008 at 8:13 am

OK thanks, Chris. Maybe there’ll be a reason to make a trip to the Dome for Cinerama in 2009.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 10, 2008 at 7:57 am

I wanted to give Rizzo the chance to respond but since he hasn’t yet…

According to him, in a comment thread regarding “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” in the News section, Arclight/The Dome’s booked it. It’s a shocker to me because I was certain that Grauman’s Chinese would get it.

Told y'all the news wasn’t THAT big…

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 10, 2008 at 7:21 am

Earlier post by Rizzo:

I don’t know of any Arclight sponsored 70mm events coming up, but we are working with AFI in getting more of their 100s in 70mm especially after the huge success of 2001.
posted by Rizzo on Feb 12, 2008 at 9:35pm

Is it something to do with this?

Giles
Giles on April 10, 2008 at 6:19 am

well … ?!? don’t leave us hanging here ???

markinthedark
markinthedark on April 9, 2008 at 3:03 pm

is it something about Indy 4?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 9, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Naah…not THAT big…

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 9, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Must be 3-strip Cinerama, right? Can my budget bear two trips from NJ to the Dome in one year? …

JSA
JSA on April 9, 2008 at 2:00 pm

News!? What news?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 9, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I guess Rizzo hasn’t been here to share THE BIG NEWS yet…

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on April 6, 2008 at 10:28 am

Love the recent photo of the dome, but surely they could program something that would take advantage of the huge curved screen. A booking of Run Fat Boy Run is just a big waste of this unique resource.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 19, 2008 at 4:19 am

A very sad day for science fiction fans everywhere. Rest in peace, Sir Arthur, and thank you for “2001”.

JSA
JSA on March 18, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Science Fiction Giant Arthur C. Clarke, author of “2001: A Space Odyssey” and co-writer of the screenplay for the film, passed away today.

JSA