Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 951 - 975 of 1,103 comments

Bway
Bway on February 17, 2007 at 2:48 am

Is this the place that’s almost right next to the Ameoba Music store?

mfuhlendorf
mfuhlendorf on February 14, 2007 at 2:37 pm

Thanks a lot.

I’ll always keep an eye on this forum, I might get lucky and be on vacation when they show the next Cinerama spectacle. I’d not think twice before hopping on a plane.

And David,
I’ve always read about the Cinerama Dome and since I’ve never been in Hollywood, I want to visit it for other reasons beside it (Chinese Theater for example), but I want that trip to coincide with a Cinerama movie at the Dome :D

I’m not in a hurry though, and it’s great to know that the Pictureville Cinema shows “This is Cinerama” every Saturday!! I was in fact planning an Europe trip by the end of this year, and England was on the top of my list (a big plus, it’s one of the few countries north of the equator where brazilians aren’t considered potential terrorists, and don’t need to jump thru fiery hoops to get a visa :). Now, last week I saw “The Queen”, and I felt an urge to hop on a plane and go to the British Isles immediately… Helen Mirren’s Elizabeth accent is flawless, I just loved the movie and its delicate storytelling.

Thanks to all,

Max M. Fuhlendorf
Sao Paulo, Brazil

JSA
JSA on February 14, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Max,

More than likely, Pacific would advertise a Cinerama screening on the Arclight web site. Previous engagements were advertised in the LA Times, but not with a lot of fanfare. Also, I’m pretty sure that someone will post it here as well.

JSA

mfuhlendorf
mfuhlendorf on February 12, 2007 at 1:32 am

That’s great!

So, when they do have special Cinerama screenings, do they say so in their website? Do people here post news of any Cinerama films that are to be shown?

I’ve read most posts in this forum, and the consensus seems to be that Pacific tends not to advertise their special engagements to anyone at all…

Thanks

William
William on February 9, 2007 at 4:44 am

The Dome and ArcLight plex is safe. I hit the v instead of the f.

William
William on February 9, 2007 at 4:42 am

Max , your friend is pulling your leg about the matter. The Dome and ArcLight plex is save from being torn down. As for the films there might be less bookings or longer waits for them to return.

delta
delta on February 9, 2007 at 3:55 am

The Pictureville Cinema at the National Media Museum in Bradford, England, shows the three-trip original Cinerama movie, ‘This is Cinerama’ at 1.30pm on the first Saturday of each month. They are also showing ‘How The West Was Won’, during the Bradford Film Festival next month. Pictureville is the only cinema in the world which has regular performances of three-strip and 70mm versions of Cinerama. Why not visit our country instead of the USA, you will be pleased with what you find!

mfuhlendorf
mfuhlendorf on February 9, 2007 at 2:30 am

Hello.

I’ve always wanted to plan my first visit to Hollywood according to the schedule of the Cinerama Dome (I live in Brazil). It’s been a dream of mine to see a movie in 3-strip Cinerama at least once, since I’m too young to have seen those in Brazil.

A friend of mine is there now, and he told me people at the theater (employees) told him it was not going to show Cinerama 3-strip films anymore, and that it would be demolished this year! I think he’s pulling my leg, but if there’s any truth in this I’d really like to know… It’d be shameful to the history of cinema.

Thanks,

Max M. Fuhlendorf
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 18, 2007 at 4:19 pm

You’re right, JSA. That’s a pilgrimage I would really love to make. I’m surprised it hasn’t played there for more than 11 years.

JSA
JSA on January 18, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Not that it matters much, but a 70 mm print of “2001” also screened at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center in Long Beach on October 1996.

Bill: You, EdSolero, andreco and the other NY area CT members that have “2001” in high regard should make the “pilgrimage” to LA next time it screens at the Dome!

Regards,
JSA

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 17, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Oh wait – for the 7th time at the Dome. 8th time in L.A., though.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 17, 2007 at 4:12 pm

Wow, Michael – another first-rate job. I really hope the Cinerama Dome plays “2001” again soon, for the 8th time!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 17, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Will there be an Arclight-like theater in the New Jersey area? The Rockaway theater that just opened doesn’t look at all like the theater in California!!! Probably the new Xanadu 26 theater should be like the Arclight.

JSA
JSA on January 17, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Michael,

Thanks for posting the link! As always, great information!
I’m going to repeat myself, but I think a single-strip Cinerama retrospective at the Dome would be a cool event. But other that “2001”, “It’s a Mad, Mad… World” & “Grand Prix”, what other titles have available prints?

JSA

Coate
Coate on January 17, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Here’s a link to a list of the Cinerama presentations at this theatre (and other Cinerama venues in Los Angeles).

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on December 26, 2006 at 4:32 pm

Saw it on 12/16. Absolutely stunning!

DavidM
DavidM on December 16, 2006 at 6:31 am

Has anyone seen Dreamgirls at the Dome yet?

William
William on November 9, 2006 at 9:11 am

There doing the same thing at the Ziegfeld Theatre in NYC for “Dreamgirls”. They said it was going to be digital projection.

It opens everywhere on December 25th at popular prices.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on November 9, 2006 at 8:32 am

They’re slightly stepping things up at the Dome with the upcoming Premiere engagement of “Dreamgirls” starting December 15th. They’re doing it Broadway/Roadshow style. $25 bucks a person gets you a seat, a souvenir program, and access to “Dreamgirls” merchandise.

I’ll be there on Saturday December 16. Should be a blast!

JSA
JSA on November 3, 2006 at 1:29 pm

I saw HTWWW last November. For that particular show, attendance was not that great. I agree that they should put a few years between 3-strip Cinerama shows. In my opinion, a single-strip Cinerama retrospective is in order, if good prints are available. Hopefully not “Krakatoa: East of Java”!

Chris: My sentiments exactly…

JSA

William
William on October 31, 2006 at 9:43 am

How well did they do the last time they ran them? Maybe they are just putting alittle more time between the last runs of them.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 31, 2006 at 9:21 am

This is the first time since Arclight opened that the Dome has not had at least a couple of Cinerama screenings in the Fall.

William
William on October 31, 2006 at 7:25 am

The Ziegfeld is back to their standard fare of Hollywood films.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 31, 2006 at 6:51 am

Another ho-hum Fall at the Dome. No Cinerama. No 70MM Special Engagements. Just digitally projected Hollywood mediocrity. The management at the Ziegfeld in New York got a clue. Why can’t Pacific/Arclight?