Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 951 - 975 of 1,127 comments

KramSacul
KramSacul on August 8, 2007 at 3:46 pm

Hey, I have an Arclight shirt around here somewhere. ;–)

I’m curious what advice Cinerama enthusiasts were suggesting. A proper strip screen would elminate the cross reflections, of course.

Scott Neff
Scott Neff on August 8, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Do you think Pacific may dislike the Cinerama name because their entire chain was called “Cinerama” in the past? Perhaps they’re just tired of hearing it.

exit
exit on August 8, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Pacific doesn’t want the Cinerama name and brand, they think the ArcLight brand is going to be as popular as The Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood. Delusional, huh? With only one or two exceptions, (good people who aren’t given enough clout by the owners) the Pacific/Arclight folks in currently charge have never had any knowledge, interest or respect for the Cinerama name or the process.

Actually the CInerama stuff sold just fine. They really took a bath on the ArcLight branded merchandise, because really, who cares about that name?. Cinerama is one of the more recognizable names in entertainment history, and it actully means something, while the ArcLight name (“borrowed” from a foreign theatre chain that sued Pacific over it) means nothing. Ask one of the employees what ArcLight means. They have no idea. I once asked someone in middle management there, and the answer was comically clueless.

Adding the 3 Cinerama projectors was not corporate Pacific’s idea at all, it was the result of much prodding from Cinerama enthusiasts, and Pacific chose to ignore much of the expert advice about how to get a good picture on the Cinerama screen, which is why movies at the Dome are generaly dim and fuzzy.

Seattle and Pacific aren’t the ones who wanted to restore any or all of the Cinerama movies, and they aren’t willing to pay for it all. And by the way. none of the films has been “restored” They just struck new prints of two features and that’s all. The costs were shared by special arrangements. Again it was the Cinerama enthusiasts (many of whom are employed in entertainment and know how to do it right) that prodded these theatres into doing what’s been done so far, and both theatres' execs resisted fully installing the screen and process, so the screen image in both Seattle and the Dome are not as effective as they could be.

If Seattle execs really cared for Cinerama, they would have listened to the experts and permanantly installed a proper Cinerama screen (with the strips anchored to the front) instead of rolling it up behind a flatter screen. Their designers were so enthralled with making that showy new ceiling that they neglected to allow for the full size of the Cinerama screen. The ceiling obsturcts part of the picture, so the screen has to be masked down from its full picture size because of the ceiling.

The Cinerama name and process was not really being kept alive by the corporations in charge of Pacific or Seattle, it was some vocal and resourceful enthusiasts and experts who prodded both into action, and in both cases their expert advice was not fully carried out and the installations are compromised.

Cinerama inc. is a very small division of Pacific, and has maybe a three person staff consisting of the two experts mentioned before and a secretary. Again these are good people who know showmanship, and if they were in charge of things, the Cinerama Dome experience (and the rest of the theatres) would be far superior to what it is today. The execs only listen to money.

terrywade
terrywade on August 8, 2007 at 6:51 am

The gift store in the lobby of the Pacific Arclight no longer sells Cinerama shirts. The rude lady told me they took a bath on them.I don’t think so. I have seen many people with them in the last few years. They had many styles with the Cinerama logo. They don’t even sell the new Cinema Treasure book that has the Cinerama Dome in it. I asked about the book she never heard of it. Of all places to sell this book this is the place. the Pacific people don’t care about Cinerama anymore. In the LA Times the theatre is just called the Dome. Why not call it The Cinerama Dome. They can put in the little logo for Cinerama. At one time the Seattle people and the Pacific guys wanted to restore all the 3 proj prints. Is this ever going to happen?

William
William on August 4, 2007 at 8:46 am

The ArcLight is running “Hairspray” Sing-A-Long version now. Enjoy!

KramSacul
KramSacul on August 4, 2007 at 1:40 am

Well, I’ll take your word for it. There was no curtain show when I saw Ratatouille last month though. Probably to accomadate the stage show.

I know this is OT but it’s pretty neat how the El Capitan’s screen operates. I wonder how big the screen speakers are as they must go up and down with the screen.

exit
exit on August 4, 2007 at 12:48 am

Mark, actually the El Cap did not discontinue the curtain show. All 3 curtains are still there, I’ve seen them all used in the usual manner within the past few months, and the management has confirmed they’re all still in operation. The curtain opening is preprogrammed, and if they have the screen in front of one of the curtains (as was the case for a couple of the 3-D features) or the stage show set precludes use of all three curtains, if one of them is being cleaned or replaced, or whatever, then they can’t do it. The Pirate movies had their own curtain show, (and their own curtain).

I never said I despise ArcLight, just that they don’t live up to their hype. One is just as likely to be bothered by inconsiderate people there as anywhere else, and though they make a big show of staying inside to check on things, they really don’t monitor the audience for disturbances, even when they are in there. The new seats AMC put into Universal are way more comfortable than ArcLight’s. (though the new Uni lobby is hideous) For the record, ArcLight happens to be the closest plex to me.

KramSacul
KramSacul on August 3, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Actually the El Capitan doesn’t have the grand curtain opening preshow anymore. Apparently they stopped doing it a a few years ago, around the time of the first Pirates movie. Now there’s just one yellow curtain that rises and falls between the stage show and trailers. It’s still a very nice curtain though.

Roadshow, if you despise Arclight so much why did you go there? It would be like me going to an AMC theater.

exit
exit on August 3, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Mark, I know what you mean about the Bruin, but the Majestic Crest is designed opulence from the marquee to the screen, so it beats the hell out of the Bruin. Disney has no need to notice the Crest’s presentation… their El Capitan has a great opening curtain and light show… by the same designer as the Majestic Crest. The Crest is an example of what Joe Musil could do without interference from the Mouse Factory.

And speaking of the ultimate curtain show, Me. Musil’s Musem of Theatrical Design in Santa Ana has a theatre with something like a dozen curtains! Makes the El Cap look like a puppet show. The Crest/Hairspray page you were were looking at has a link to his website. He’s ahveing a show Saturday with clips from movie musicals, and his museum has an entire wall dedicated to designing and outfittng the Crest.

Hwd9, I am no expert but I can recognize fake audience surrounds (it was one of the first surround sound I ever heard decades ago) I have to warn you that the last time ArcLight’s zero decor “Black Box” showed GREASE (with Director Randal Kleiser present) either the print was flat mono (highly unlikely) or the surrounds weren’t even turned on. Sounded like loud mono. Part of the problem is most of the “black boxes” are wider than they are long, so the surrounds are probably too far apart to be noticed. Just don’t expect much from GREASE.

ArcLight is just SO FAR away from being what they say they are…. but more of that will surface elsewhere later.

KramSacul
KramSacul on August 1, 2007 at 2:41 am

The Crest certainly looks like great eye candy but the auditorium looks a lot like a jazzed up version of the Bruin(ie shoebox shape with a screen at the end). An opening curtain show sounds great though. Disney should take notice.

Not going to defend the Dome’s projection/screen problems although the sound can be VERY GOOD when the planets align, which is kind of rare now. LOTR 1 sounded INSANE.

exit
exit on July 31, 2007 at 2:36 pm

When I tried to see HAIRSPRAY at the unpublicized midnight preview, I had a run-in with an arrogant manager, and got a ticket to return later. I said I’d just wait until CHUCK & LARRY got moved to the back, because HAiRSPRAY would inevitably end up in the Dome, and she swore that HAIRSPRAY would NEVER play the Dome again. She also swore that her staff never allowed feet on the seats and always looked for disruptive patrons. Wrong on every point.

Went back to the Dome yesterday afternoon and found HAIRSPRAY a joy, but the picture was dim and fuzzy as usual because of Pacific’s bad projection decisions. You can read more on that elsewhere… I have also never found the Dome’s sound system to be particularly impressive. Sure it’s loud, but I don’t ever remember hearing much in the way of discrete channels or high fidelity. Ditto the ArcLight’s “Black Boxes”…

I still want to see Hairspray at the Crest. Their picture will be sharper and brighter than the Dome’s. For More on HAIRSPRAY at the Crest and a look at the interior, Visit View link There will eventually be an in-depth review of Arclight/Cinerama Dome there, among other theatres.

KramSacul
KramSacul on July 27, 2007 at 6:12 am

Well, according to Arclight’s website Hairspray is now playing in the Dome.

HAIRSPRAY is playing in the Dome.

THE SIMPSONS MOVIE is not.

Not a joke.

exit
exit on July 26, 2007 at 3:59 pm

ArcLight has no sense of showmanship, it’s all about money. They booked that awful comedy then the Bourne picture and Put HAIRSPRAY in the back. They had one Thursday night Midnight screening of HAIRSPRAY in the Dome but kept it a secret by not mentioning it in their weekly newsletter email or the features column on their site. The only LA theatre playing the film that can match the big, splasy colorful HAIRSPRAY is the Majestic Crest in Westwood.

JSA
JSA on July 17, 2007 at 10:17 pm

You’re welcome!

The last time the Dome screened 3-strip Cinerama, they opened the booth to the public after the show. It was awesome to see the 3 projectors!

JSA

JSA
JSA on July 11, 2007 at 4:37 pm

The picture above is for a Cinerama camera, not a projector. The Dome has 3 35 mm Cinerama projectors.

JSA

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 25, 2007 at 6:07 am

Note to Max from Brazil – let me know if you come to LA. My wife is from Rio, and we were actually in Sao Paulo last month. We would be more than happy to show around LA and Hollywood.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on May 25, 2007 at 3:00 am

Arclight is expanding. The Sherman Oaks Galleria 16 is becoming the Arclight Sherman Oaks. The theater will remain open during phase one and will close in August and reopen during the holidays. More on the arclight website.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 16, 2007 at 4:06 pm

“I’m afraid I can’t let you do that, Chris”.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 16, 2007 at 5:28 pm

“2001” is 40 years old next year. They’ve gotta run it here!

JSA
JSA on April 16, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Michael: “FSTDVD” keeps getting better. Thanks for keeping us up to date!

I agree with you 100%, Bill. I chose to skip the 1995 engagement, taking it for granted that the Dome would screen “2001” every few years or so! The last time I saw the film in its entirety was at the Cal State Long Beach Performing Arts Center, in 1996. It would be cool if Warner decides to strike new 70 mm prints for the 40th anniversary of “2001”. Maybe screen them at the Uptown in DC, the Ziegfeld and the Dome.

JSA

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 14, 2007 at 9:25 am

Michael: Another stellar job. Thanks so much – and thanks for the new picture of “2001” at the Capitol, which I hadn’t seen before.

I think 12 years is way too long a gap between “2001” screenings at the Cinerama Dome.

Coate
Coate on April 14, 2007 at 1:38 am

I posted this before on Jan. 17th, but I wanted to mention to those readers with an interest that my historical list of Cinerama presentations in Los Angeles has been updated.

[bill Huelbig: you’ll be pleased to know that your all-time favorite film has been given two additional entries on the list! Granted, they were “D-150” presentations at the Egyptian Theatre that are being included on a technicality. Other revisions have been made to the list as well.]

We also now have posted on our site a companion list of Cinerama presentations in New York City which I will predict that some of you Cinema Treasures regulars will eat up.

tarantex
tarantex on March 23, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Does anyone know where the Manager of the dome is Jim Sutton?

Bway
Bway on February 18, 2007 at 9:03 am

Here’s a link to a photo of the Cinerama from the sky: