TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 76 - 100 of 1,487 comments

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on December 10, 2013 at 5:10 am

They didn’t lower any masking for “Gravity” either. Probably won’t for “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” either.

I would suggest taking the issue up with IMAX, not theatre management. However…if they DO decide to move the masking, they’d better have someone in the projection booth at all times or else folks will complain about the masking staying low during 1:78 IMAX sequences.

BTW…the full screen IMAX sequence in Hunger Games was AMAZING! Can’t wait to see the FULLY EXPANDED screen in 2014 when the laser projection system is unleashed!

terrywade
terrywade on December 10, 2013 at 3:24 am

I may have left to early when the full screen came on. Strange you can look back on past posts to read that the Chinese Imax was to be the only Imax theatre with curtains and moving masking. As the movie I guess did open up later on the (Games) segment I think they just kept the masking up. Lets see the next time they show a full scope print in the middle part of the square screen and see If they lower the black border masking. The Hollywood preview editors must have a fit seeing the pre show trailers ruined by stray light from curtain lights left in the dim position.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on December 10, 2013 at 2:42 am

Yes, the movie does utilize the full screen when the games begin. However, the Chinese IMAX does not use masking for any ‘Scope IMAX feature (this is standard IMAX policy). The masking is only used for special presentations like the AFI Fest galas.

mhvbear
mhvbear on December 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Doesn’t the Digital IMAX print utilize the full screen when the games begin? I know the 15/70mm print version used the full screen at the Lincoln Square IMAX.

terrywade
terrywade on December 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Visited the new Chinese Imax this past Thursday night for the 7PM Hunger show, only 11 people in the theatre. While the place looks great I found some problems. The curtains are nice and they open at best slow speed. During the previews all the trailers were ruined as they kept the curtains red/blue lights on the giant screen about half level as when the curtains were closed. So If a segment came up on the previews that was dark you will see the color stage curtain lights over the preview. They did this before the big remodel took place. All the previews used the full square Imax screen if shot in 1.85 and when they showed a trailer that was Panavision 2.35 just the middle of the wide screen was used. Now comes to the worst part when the main movie came on the big Imax semi curved screen (H Games) they only used the middle part of the screen so white screen showed at the top and bottom. I was told that this new Chinese Imax had masking that will lower when they show a scope print on the full Imax screen. This did not happen. I got a refund as the lady manger had no idea what I was talking about. How sad the place has great stereo surround sound nice curtains and now even a little blue color light on the ceiling but they did not do what they said they would do. Let me know If any of you go and see If black masking does come down for scope films. Complain about the curtain lights leaking on the screen during the previews. Maybe after I complained they will fix the problems.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on November 19, 2013 at 8:41 am

Couldn’t be the fact that The Chinese Hosts AFI every year and this year AFI began the night that thor opened nationwide, could it segask? Naww that would be to logical.

segask
segask on November 18, 2013 at 3:54 am

well I see that Disney didn’t let Thor play in IMAX here.

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on November 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I don’t play the game, but I found a screen cap:

www.igta5.com/images/website-startours03.jpg

Looks vaguely familiar!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 17, 2013 at 5:20 pm

In GTA V, there is a movie theater named the Oriental that closely resembles this building.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on October 26, 2013 at 10:50 am

My fingers are crossed that since El Cap is not playing Saving Mr Banks, the Chinese 6 will get booked with it day and date with Arclight.

In my opinon(not that it counts lol) any movie that films/features the Chinese should play on atleast one of the screens of the chinese 6 if the main house isnt availble.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 25, 2013 at 10:27 pm

to RogerA-

thanks for your reply of Oct.11.. while i’m guessing a decent number of the countless upon countless grand old movie theaters/palaces that were built in the prime building period of 1914-1941 still exist many don’t qualify. for instance the Castro and Balboa in San Francisco were built from the get go as 2nd or 3rd run neighborhood theaters. i’m looking for theaters that were built from the get go as 1st run venues have continued to operate as such since the day they opened. as i said in my original post the Chinese is the only one I have found so far on this site. I did the search you suggested on both Yahoo and Google but it didn’t help. it would be sad if the Chinese was the only grand old movie theater/palace built in the prime 1914-1941 period from the get go as a 1st run venue that as continued to operate as such since the day it opened.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 21, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Wow, Chris. Thanks for reporting that for us. Now if only they’d SHOW “2001” at the Chinese. Maybe they will someday.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 21, 2013 at 11:50 am

Now that’s a great review Chris….

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 21, 2013 at 4:38 am

Just came back from my 2nd trip to “Gravity.” Lots of improvements. No more dumb preshow. Curtain stays closed till their announcer guy introduces the feature. Ushers all around to help patrons find their seats. Still no ticket kiosks built, though (They GOTTA make this happen! With all that randomness on Hollywood Blvd, that street level box office is not safe!).

And here’s something to make you chuckle: They’ve added a dash of showmanship by playing the legendary “Thus Spoke Zarathustra” (a.k.a. the 2001 A Space Odyssey theme) as the curtains open. EPIC!

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

As I posted months ago !!

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 19, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Wow… the TCL Chi-MAXing is the best thing that could have happened to Arclight Hollywood. It looks like they have been removed totally from the booking area, allowing them free access at Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Lucasfilm stuff now. It’s also the best thing for the Chinese since they don’t have to simply contend with Arclight’s castoffs anymore.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on October 18, 2013 at 7:38 am

Looks like they have Enders Game IMAX booked now http://www.tclchinesetheatres.com/tickets-showtimes/

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 16, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Escape Plan starts the Friday at both the Chinese 6 and the Arclight. Looks like the shared bookings will go beyond IMAX titles.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 13, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Photos are set democratically by the most # of views for any particular image within that theater’s photo set. I do not believe there is an override available to administrators.

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on October 13, 2013 at 7:53 am

I agree with Bway, can the admin please put a more representative photo up as the first photo? Thanks!

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on October 13, 2013 at 7:51 am

I saw the original Star Wars at the Chinese when it opened with a group of friends, and it changed my life in many ways! Every time there has a rerelease of SW film at the Chinese the same group of friends reunited to see it. It would mean so much to me to see the latest SW at the same theatre! Robert, Chris, and Cliffs, I hope you you are right! I will be there for the first midnight showing!

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 13, 2013 at 5:11 am

If Disney was smart… they’d locked down Hollywood Blvd for Episode VII and have it playing at both. Treat the Chinese and the El Cap as one big multiplex. Imagine how cool it would be to have Star Wars playing on both sides of the street.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 13, 2013 at 1:02 am

I DID NOT KNOW that Disney used both theatres for premieres! I recant my original statement!

Shucks…with the free for all going on with “Gravity” playing at Chinese & The Dome coupled with the “Thor” sequel playing at The Dome & El Cap, we just may see Episode 7 playing at theatres located across the street from one another after all!

RogerA
RogerA on October 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Bigjoe most of the grand movie palaces that were built in the early part of the twentieth century are gone. The value of the real estate and the cost of heating and air conditioning coupled with the lack of interest in single theaters did them in. The grandest and most famous movie palace was the Roxy in NYC. The Roxy was demolished in 1960. The high cost of energy and the popularity of the multiplex closed most of the movie palaces in the 70’s and early 80’s. The are a few of these theaters and few are still first run. Most of the movie palaces that are left run special shows or are just dark. Do a google search for oldest running movie theaters and you will find a few.