TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 76 - 100 of 1,495 comments

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm

It’s Mann Theatres that is extinct, not Pacific.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on April 13, 2014 at 11:57 am

I didn’t know Pacific Theaters still existed I thought it was an extinct chain RobertAlex.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 12, 2014 at 4:14 pm

That makes sense since ArcLight books them.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 3, 2014 at 8:58 am

The Chinese and the Chinese 6 movie times are listed under Pacific Theaters in the LA Times now.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on April 2, 2014 at 3:53 pm

They’ve almost finished the box office remodel. While still in the same location (adjacent to Hollywood Blvd. sidewalk), it is now much more prominent and wraps around the corner, in to a street side entry (entrance which provides access to the escalator on the right and Grauman’s on the left). A definite upgrade from the somewhat inconspicuous configuration which existed previously.

robboehm
robboehm on February 12, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Ad from March 14, 1935 upload in the photos section announcing that Shirley Temple would appear to leave her handprints that evening. The film, The Little Colonel, had opened at the Chinese, and also at the downtown Loew’s State, the day before.

Cliffs
Cliffs on January 16, 2014 at 1:35 am

bigjoe59… there has certainly been an increase in business as well as a decent turnover in films. The biggest problem with the Chinese right now (and this is going to sound strange) is that very few people know about it. When Mann started dumping off theaters and the Chinese lost what little booking power it had to Arclight and the El Capitan, a lot of people (myself included) kind of abandoned the theater. Not because I really wanted to, but because it wasn’t the (overall) best place to see a movie anymore. There was no reserved seating and (worst of all) usually nothing of interest to see there. I can honestly say that in the past 5 years I’d only gone to Grauman’s to see Fast and Furious, District 9, Clash of the Titans, Predators, McGruber, Harry Potter 7.2, and X-Men: First Class (I didn’t even attend one single movie there in all of 2012). So that’s 7 movies in 5 years. Since the IMAX conversion I’ve been there at least once a month (going again tonight to see Jack Ryan, which will be my 5th trip there in 4 months). But that’s us here on CT. I don’t think the public at large is really aware of the changes. It was painful and sad to watch the Dome pack itself rather quickly for Catching Fire while the Chinese was half to half+ full. But I think (hope) that people are becoming more aware and we’ll see what happens this summer, which will have Spider-Man, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Transformers 4, Jupiter Ascending, and Into the Storm giving them plenty of product to choose from.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on January 15, 2014 at 3:19 pm

bigjoe59 – There has been a noticeable increase in business. Still far short of the levels the theatre should be doing/once did, but movement in a positive direction, none the less. Just having decent bookings once again has helped.

As for Arclight booking the Chinese complex; it’s not all that surprising. There are many small operators that utilize larger chains and co-ops for bookings, purchasing, etc.It’s a win-win for both sides, as greater numbers mean greater buying power.

markinthedark
markinthedark on January 15, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Does Arclight program the 6-plex as well?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 15, 2014 at 10:59 am

Hello-

I live in NYC and always tried to attend a movie at the Chinese whenever I came out to L.A.. to which my question- has the IMAX-ing of the theater really increased the patronage to any great extent? if I am not mistaken I remember reading a post from someone who attended a Sat. afternoon performance of Catching Fire the weekend after it opened and they stated there were only like 12 people in the theater.

Cliffs
Cliffs on January 15, 2014 at 12:26 am

I saw that as well… kind of shocking. The Chinese co-existing with the Arclight is the best thing for the Arclight because they now get Disney.

BRADE48
BRADE48 on January 14, 2014 at 10:18 am

Interesting…I did not know they booked the Chinese also. Both Arclight HW and Chinese seem to be co-existing with same bookings.

JoelWeide
JoelWeide on January 14, 2014 at 8:24 am

Really … … .!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on January 14, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hold on to your popcorn buckets!

Tucked away in the recent announcement of ArcLight Cinemas expansion to Santa Monica, CA is the following:

“ArcLight also owns and operates the historic Cinerama Dome and programs the TCL Chinese Theatre and IMAX in Hollywood.”

Hmmmmm…

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on December 16, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I just discovered that the Chinese 6 installed Dolby Atmos in Theater 1. I called to confirm as it is not on the Dolby website yet and was told they do indeed have Atmos. I was able to get to the IMAX to see The new Hobbit movie on Sat (epic) and when i see it again, I will definitely try to check it out it Atmos. If I remember, Theater 1 of the multiplex is the larger one to the left when you walk in. I haven’t been to that screen in years and I am curious to see how the Atmos sounds.

markinthedark
markinthedark on December 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm

“When the screen is expanded does that mean to the right and left like a proper 2.35 side masked screen in a normal theater?” – Sorry I meant once the lazers are unleashed.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on December 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

No, the screen is at its largest dimensions in 1.9:1.

markinthedark
markinthedark on December 12, 2013 at 5:35 am

If so, what would that mean for “full IMAX” sequence in a narrower aspect ratio?

Or is the screen getting bigger and keeping the same dimensions?

I finally experienced LIEMAX at the AMC Century 15 and was shocked how small it was. Aside from booming sound the letterboxed image was no bigger than a usual mid-sized multiplex screen.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on December 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm

They didn’t lower any masking for “Gravity” either. Probably won’t for “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” either.

I would suggest taking the issue up with IMAX, not theatre management. However…if they DO decide to move the masking, they’d better have someone in the projection booth at all times or else folks will complain about the masking staying low during 1:78 IMAX sequences.

BTW…the full screen IMAX sequence in Hunger Games was AMAZING! Can’t wait to see the FULLY EXPANDED screen in 2014 when the laser projection system is unleashed!

terrywade
terrywade on December 9, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I may have left to early when the full screen came on. Strange you can look back on past posts to read that the Chinese Imax was to be the only Imax theatre with curtains and moving masking. As the movie I guess did open up later on the (Games) segment I think they just kept the masking up. Lets see the next time they show a full scope print in the middle part of the square screen and see If they lower the black border masking. The Hollywood preview editors must have a fit seeing the pre show trailers ruined by stray light from curtain lights left in the dim position.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on December 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Yes, the movie does utilize the full screen when the games begin. However, the Chinese IMAX does not use masking for any ‘Scope IMAX feature (this is standard IMAX policy). The masking is only used for special presentations like the AFI Fest galas.

mhvbear
mhvbear on December 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Doesn’t the Digital IMAX print utilize the full screen when the games begin? I know the 15/70mm print version used the full screen at the Lincoln Square IMAX.

terrywade
terrywade on December 9, 2013 at 10:34 am

Visited the new Chinese Imax this past Thursday night for the 7PM Hunger show, only 11 people in the theatre. While the place looks great I found some problems. The curtains are nice and they open at best slow speed. During the previews all the trailers were ruined as they kept the curtains red/blue lights on the giant screen about half level as when the curtains were closed. So If a segment came up on the previews that was dark you will see the color stage curtain lights over the preview. They did this before the big remodel took place. All the previews used the full square Imax screen if shot in 1.85 and when they showed a trailer that was Panavision 2.35 just the middle of the wide screen was used. Now comes to the worst part when the main movie came on the big Imax semi curved screen (H Games) they only used the middle part of the screen so white screen showed at the top and bottom. I was told that this new Chinese Imax had masking that will lower when they show a scope print on the full Imax screen. This did not happen. I got a refund as the lady manger had no idea what I was talking about. How sad the place has great stereo surround sound nice curtains and now even a little blue color light on the ceiling but they did not do what they said they would do. Let me know If any of you go and see If black masking does come down for scope films. Complain about the curtain lights leaking on the screen during the previews. Maybe after I complained they will fix the problems.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on November 19, 2013 at 12:41 am

Couldn’t be the fact that The Chinese Hosts AFI every year and this year AFI began the night that thor opened nationwide, could it segask? Naww that would be to logical.

segask
segask on November 17, 2013 at 7:54 pm

well I see that Disney didn’t let Thor play in IMAX here.