TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 76 - 100 of 1,591 comments

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on May 18, 2015 at 1:47 pm

BigJoe59, There is certainly more attention on the Chinese after the IMAX conversion, and even though the Avengers opened simultaneously across the street at the El Capitan (first time in history that the same movie opened at both theatres) I would venture to guess that it drew more crowd than the El Capitan (Another beautiful theatre, operated by Disney) I don’t have hard numbers though.

Like the Ziegfeld, there are other theatres within a few miles of the Chinese, including the Cinema Dome that is currently playing the same movie. I love the Dome, but between the 2 the Chinese is still a better experience.

As for actually percentage numbers, that would have to come from the TCL Chinese management. I can only comment antidotally based on what I see myself and hear from management. We don’t see exclusive engagements for the blockbusters here either, seems to me that is a thing of the past. Studios want big numbers of the first weekend, so more screens is what happens. The “cheat” to boost opening weekend numbers is to open the movie at midnight the day before the opening day, and some theatres are even adding earlier shows!

As for StarWars VII, no official word on where it will open, I HOPE it opens at the El Capitan AND the Chinese, since I saw the original movie at the Chinese. If that happens, Hollywood Blvd will be the best place to see it in Los Angeles!

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 18, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Hello From NYC-

I thank Escott N. and Cliffs for their replies. I was guessing the upgrades increased the attendance somewhat but wondered exactly by how much. so since you two appear to be regulars at the Chinese what would you say the increase is percentage wise? for instance do Sat. and Sun. afternoon showings have an increase of 15% or even 20% over the same from before the IMAX conversion?

in Manhattan I consider the Ziegfeld the place to see any big action flick especially superhero films. but the Ziegfeld hasn’t had an exclusive engagement in years so matter how well reviewed a film is or how well liked it is by the public I haven’t seen anything even approaching a sell out crowd in years. the biggest recently was the day after Christmas 2012 for the first showing of Les Miserables. the theater was maybe 25% full.

another case. eventhough Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens is the most highly anticipated film this year I’m betting even if it gets reviewed as the best Star Wars yet the crowd at the Ziegfeld won’t be anywhere near a sell out. the reason is simple- whatever big film is playing the Ziegfeld is also playing at 12 if not more theaters in Manhattan.

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on May 17, 2015 at 8:44 pm

It has definitely improved. And the Chinese is once again the premiere location for a studio premiere, they have events almost every week, sometimes 2 events in a day!

Cliffs
Cliffs on May 17, 2015 at 2:59 pm

It’s definitely picked up. It still doesn’t sell out like the IMAX in Universal City would, but it’s also got twice the amount of seats. It seemed like it was a fairly well kept secret for a while, but the secret seems to be getting out little by little. The 70mm film run of Interstellar did a lot to get people back in there to realize what they’d done with the IMAX conversion. It doesn’t really seem to be totally keeping pace with the Dome on the same films, but a quick glance at the seating for tonight’s Mad Max evening shows seem to maybe be slightly fuller at the Chinese versus the Dome.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 17, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Hello From NYC-

I was wondering if all the sound and projection upgrades the Chinese has gotten in the last year and a half have really increased the patronage that much. I’m thinking that however well done the upgrades are whatever big film is playing the Chinese is also playing at several other theaters in the surrounding area.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on May 16, 2015 at 10:42 pm

The problem I have with the Dome is legroom. There’s isn’t enough for me. I do go the Village and the Vista on occasion.

Cliffs
Cliffs on May 16, 2015 at 7:35 pm

No, Arclight now runs the Dome pretty much exclusively 2D. You could also hit up the Village and the Bruin in Westwood, they stagger 2D and 3D.

It’s too bad, because IMAX has branded all of these films as “The IMAX 3D Experience” meaning they won’t even show any of these films in 2D because their branding is more important to them than their customers. That means 3D only for Mad Max, San Andreas, Jurassic World, Terminator Genesys, etc, regardless of what their audience actually wants.

I agree, it’s sad because I really want to support the Chinese and keep them strong, but I’m not going to settle for an experience I don’t want to do so. My next trip to the Chinese won’t be until Mission Impossible at the end of July.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on May 16, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Black box theaters? Only in a pinch…

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 16, 2015 at 11:58 am

go to the arclight, DonSolosan.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on May 16, 2015 at 11:05 am

For a while, I kept hearing reports on how 2D screenings were giving serious competition to the 3D ones — but now no one seems to be tracking that. I was hoping 3D would die off, or that what Cliffs said would happen: stagger shows for those of us who don’t like 3D. No luck. It’s too bad because the Chinese is showing movies that I’d like to see, and I’d like to support them. Guess I’ll have to take my business elsewhere…

Cliffs
Cliffs on May 15, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Yeah, sooooo… While I was supremely impressed with the new IMAX Laser projection during Furious 7, I was far less impressed with IMAX Laser 3D during Mad Max Fury Road. The new glasses (which remind me of Dolby 3D’s) are murky and cloudy. Nearly everyone in our group (of 13) for Mad Max last night said they attempted several times in the first 15-20 minutes to clean them, realizing eventually that that’s just how they are. Not so noticeable during bright scenes, but distracting during darker ones. They’re also quite a bit smaller than the old IMAX 3D glasses, meaning the closer you sit, there’s a chance that the “lenses” on the new glasses won’t be big enough to completely clear the screen and will block part of the image.

We were thinking we might be seeing Episode VII there this December and Mad Max was a test, but we’ve ruled that out with the current Laser 3D tech. It’s too bad they can’t offer up IMAX 2D showings staggered with the 3D. Then at least people have a choice and don’t get forced the, in my eyes, substandard experience.

RogerA
RogerA on May 3, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Great site. Hollywood history like this needs to be documented so the know how to do it right is not lost. My cudos to who ever put this site together.

rasLXR
rasLXR on May 3, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Good site.

Giles
Giles on April 9, 2015 at 9:48 pm

a recent (two days ago) picture shows the auditorium with the ceiling speakers:

they are tastefully integrated/installed into the ornate ceiling.

Cliffs
Cliffs on April 9, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Yeah, the sound post IMAX conversion wasn’t very impressive. Very loud but not very crisp or detailed. Since the redo with the 12.1 it seems to have fixed that problem and made the sound better than ever.

markinthedark, My understanding is that IMAX won’t allow masking on IMAX branded presentations. They want that full screen displayed regardless of whether or not it’s fully used. I agree, on stuff like Furious 7 that doesn’t shift aspect ratios, it would be nice to get it masked properly. I will say, however, that with the new laser projection and new deep black levels, I almost could never tell there was no masking. Hopefully IMAX relaxes that rule in the future, but they want to make sure audiences know their screens are BIIIIIIIIG!!!!

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 7, 2015 at 8:50 am

yes, there are 4 speakers on the ceiling.

Giles
Giles on April 6, 2015 at 10:45 pm

the new IMAX laser system features 12-channel sound (to compete with Dolby Atmos and Auro 11.1) – did they actually install the requisite 4-ceiling speakers??

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 6, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Ok. Who would win in a fight the Chinese or Lincoln square in nyc? I say Lincoln square because of the real Imax screen and it’s well done multiplex screens.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 6, 2015 at 12:57 pm

moviebuff, this is/was Grauman’s Chinese Theater and does not show Chinese movies ( but named for the architecture and decor)? I would read the overview above.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 6, 2015 at 12:28 pm

What’s the next Chinese language movie to be shown at this theater and why is this theater the only one in the US to be named that?

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 6, 2015 at 10:10 am

the screen does seem a bit wider, and no, there is no masking for IMAX shows. I have heard that it is 96 feet, but also read that it was 91 feet so I am not sure on the exact size, but it is BIG.

markinthedark
markinthedark on April 6, 2015 at 10:01 am

So was Furious 7 not masked properly then? If they have the ability to mask for the festival why not IMAX shows?

Can anyone report on the screen size? Is it wider? Properly masked? Etc?

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 6, 2015 at 9:12 am

I spent the last two weekends at the Chinese, first with the TCM Film Fest and then to see Furious 7 on Friday. The TCM festival was awesome, and to see classic movies ( i saw Affair to Remember, Norma Rae and 1776) on the big screen with almost every seat filled is a wonderful thing. Also, to see that screen properly masked was beautiful. They have movable masking that they used for each film, and I was wish they used that during the IMAX shows. It makes a huge difference.

Furious 7 looked amazing, but the most notable improvement here is what Cliffs said, the sound. It is very discreet, detailed and kicks butt in volume. 4 more channels on the ceiling and one additional channel on each side of the auditorium mid way from the screen to the back speaker. It is not as good as Atmos, but damn if it doesnt come close.

The visuals were stunning. Far superior from the demo i saw two years ago. The blacks were solid, and like Chris said, the colors. OMG the colors…well done indeed!!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 5, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Yeah…the lasers are FANTASTIC! Never seen clarity, sharpness & colors popping like that before. Laser will be the norm in 2-3 years. And rightfully so.

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on April 5, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Cliffs, I am so glad to hear! I’ve been out of town so haven’t witnessed it for myself yet!
For those interested, I was allowed to witness and document the secret load-in night when the IMAX Laser projectors first arrived. It was quite an experience! Click here to see my Facebook album: http://tinyurl.com/LAHTFChineseIMAXLaser