Clifton Commons 16

405 Route 3 East,
Clifton, NJ 07013

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 22, 2007 at 7:01 pm

This theater is the only one in Passaic County to be equipped with digital projection, which began with the release of “Meet the Robinsons” in digital 3-D. It was so popular at the theater that AMC chose to keep the projection system and play several movies in DLP. Which theater # has DLP? I guess it’s one of the former THX houses.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 17, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Whatever became of Clifton COmmons after AMC took over in 2002? The last time I was there, I saw “Monsters, Inc” when it was a General Cinema.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 13, 2006 at 6:24 pm

Do the Clifton Commons and Rockaway theaters share any traits? I know the rockaway location doesn’t have THX-certified auditoriums in its two biggest screens (hopefully the THX guys would love to come to rockaway to check if its safe for THX), because this was originally a Loews theater, not a General Cinema.

Astyanax
Astyanax on December 3, 2005 at 10:11 am

Paul, add to that the frantic scramble for parking in a lot where the spaces are particularly tight. Exiting from the lot after the movie is also a challenge.

pbubny
pbubny on December 2, 2005 at 5:49 pm

I guess I’ve been to the Clifton Commons about a dozen times in the past few years and have yet to warm up to the place. Maybe it’s because so much that is off-putting about present-day moviegoing is in abundance here: the chintzy decor, the bored-looking high-schoolers behind the obscenely overpriced concession counters who don’t know how to enunciate, “moviegoers” who just can’t put their cell phones away, the amped-up digital sound that actually detracts from the experience, and last but not least, 15 or 20 minutes of the damn commercials. My wife and I went there one evening this summer, found that the movie we came for was sold out, and decided to see “Star Wars Episode III” instead. We made this decision at 7:02 p.m., bought our tickets, stood in line at the candy counter, and had plenty of time to search for seats in a crowded auditorium before the movie began. The advertised start time of that showing was 7 p.m.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 26, 2005 at 11:59 am

And for good reason. People like to watch their movies like their at a baseball game. In Warren County, both Pohatcong and Mansfield have some stadium seating. Morris County will have stadium seating when the new Rockaway megaplex opens next spring. Bergen County has only one, which is the Edgewater Multiplex Cinemas. Hudson County has the only first-run multiplex with stadium seating, and it’s a new one: South Cove Cinemas in Bayonne. But none could match the popularity and hype of Clifton COmmons. Many local celebrities (including Paris Hilton and most of the cast of The Sopranos) and HBO film review segments happen at this giant theatre, which I tried to get a job back while I was in high school. Too bad, they didn’t let me in, although I went to the manager’s desk, which is cool. They even have a large party room and decent bathrooms.

John Fink
John Fink on June 26, 2005 at 11:53 am

Funny story about the projection at Clifton Commons. Back when it was General Cinema I went to see a movie called Charlotte Gray there, the projection was fine until the end of the movie when Charlotte goes back to see her long lost love, whom she had been lieing to the whole time (even using a diffrent name). The projection was scrambled almost, like something had fallen out of sinc.

By time I got out to the manager’s desk and informed them of the problem the projectionist had started working on it, I came back in the theatre and the cleaning folks were starting to walk in. The partrons at the bottom had told them “no, we still have to see the end of the movie.”

A few minutes later the movie started up, Cate Blanchett returns to the villa and the only words she utters “I forgot to tell you, by the way, my name is Charlotte Gray” then the credits start to roll.

But I like this theatre anyway, its the only cinema in the county with stadium seating.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 26, 2005 at 11:49 am

I recommend most moviegoers go with the Clearview Allwood Cinema as the cheap choice in Clifton compared with the busy Clifton movie theatre as well as the cheap secaucus theatres located down the road on Route 3 rather than the alternate Loews Wayne. But with the AMC/Loews deal, it could raise ticket prices for all of those theatres or maybe even shut down the older ones! :(

umbaba
umbaba on June 26, 2005 at 11:43 am

It’s a descent theater complex…I too saw “Entrapment” there as an opening…(well actually “Go” the day before) The prints are usually very good with descent sound…but I see the writing on the wall as this theater since opening is taking a downhill road as far as theater quality…the problems as the many that face multi-plexes is the highschool employees who are rude, clueless and slow. I can’t tell you how many times I’m waiting in line forever while the boxoffice person takes six years to sell a ticket….the problem isn’t always the employees, but also dumb patrons who act as if they never been to a theater before….the one that grates me is the idiots who go down the list of films asking the boxoffice person what they’re about and the employee explaining instead of moving the line….BTW….management is also a problem as at times I approached a manager about a problem I was rudely brushed off or given stupid info..(my first job was at a theater, I work in the business and I’ve forgotten more about this stuff than most of the managers know….

…another major problem….the windows to the projection booth are usually open enabling the sound of the projector to bleed through…you think they’d have the sense to close it…

…once you’re in your seat, to get up, go down the hall, find an employee, explain the problem…you miss minutes of the picture…a patron shouldn’t have to do this…the theater should constantly make sure the film goes off Ok….but once again, highschoolers and managers who know management but not movies..

….matinees, not enough box-office people

…and for god’s sake, these films cost a bundle (considering most of them suck) even the matinees are expensive $7.50 (I’m sure that’ll go up soon, I frequent Loews more now) so, train the employees on courtesy please.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 26, 2005 at 10:06 am

Good for George Lucas, bad for the cinema companies. BTW, with the Loews/AMC merger, it will install more THX-certified auditoriums in all of its theatre. THey should do it at the Wayne and the new Rockaway theatre that will open in 2006.

John Fink
John Fink on June 21, 2005 at 9:30 am

General Cinemas loved THX (which is sort of a scam, a theatre can techincally be up to THX standards but the owner may not pay for certification, in which it cannot claim THX). This one has two, so does the new (as well as the old) GC/AMC at Essex Green in West Orange.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 29, 2005 at 12:22 pm

This theatre is one of two multiplexes that has THX auditoriums. Clifton Commons has two of them (theatres 8 and 9). I have been to them (among the movies I saw were good ones such as Mission Impossible 2, Dinosaur, and the Hurricane). They’re the biggest of all the 16 theatres (i think) with terrific surround sound. I saw Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon as one of those art house movies and it was a full house!!! Could someone post a photo of the clifton commons outside (a current photo, not older pictures of it).

Astyanax
Astyanax on May 28, 2005 at 11:05 pm

Has a wide, open lobby that serves the multiplex. During peak times can be noisy, crowded and confusing as patrons are trying to locate their theatres. The parking lot is a nightmare. Spaces are narrow, and hit movies make it necessary to ride around the lot.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 28, 2005 at 10:18 pm

The first new movie I saw at Clifton Commons (after a bunch of older movies before the theatre opened such as You Got Mail and Star Trek Insurrection) was Entrapment, which was a good movie. The last movie I saw there before moving was Monsters, Inc., which was a great movie. Have there been any changes to the theatre since it was a General Cinema (now an AMC theatre)?

John Fink
John Fink on May 28, 2005 at 8:18 pm

Opened as a General Cinema location the theatre features a symetrical design; six screens have 291 seats, two 250, two 225, two 190, and four with 90. The cinema opened with a self serve stand, Pizzeria Uno Pizzas, and a full serve coffee shop. Opening night (April 30, 1999) attractions were Entrapment, Matrix, Shakespear In Love, Life is Beatiful, Pushing Tin, Analyze This, Idle Hands, Never Been Kissed, Life, The Out of Towners, Doug’s First Movie, Forces of Nature, Cookie’s Fortune, and Go.