Boyd Theatre

1908-18 Chestnut Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19103

Hibi
Hibi on June 16, 2009 at 5:12 pm

What is the theater down the street in that picture? The Aldine? I tried searching for it and nothing came up. Is it listed here by another name?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 9, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Here is the photo to which Dennis was referring. Date is 1980. I actually saw that film at the Sam Eric when it was playing there.

dennisczimmerman
dennisczimmerman on April 19, 2009 at 2:24 pm

American Classic Images also has an older picture of the Sameric before the other three theatres were added. The film showing was a 70mm presentation (Either a “Star Wars” and “Indy” film if I remember.) And they had the fabric banner around the bottom of the marquee stating it was a 70mm 6 track Dolby stereo sound presentation. Even though I have a picture of the “Boyd” from earlier, I am still thinking of ordering a copy of this one. And the sign board above the marquee only advertises the one film – naturally.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on March 30, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I would also like to see, when The Boyd does reopen,some photos of its days as the RKO Stanley Warner’s Boyd and as Sam Shapiro’s/United Artists Sameric 4 Theatre.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Refurbished restrooms will be wonderful indeed.

alps
alps on February 12, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I am looking forward to attending The Boyd with the awe I had the first time I walked in there in June of 1967. No longer the sad dying cinema. with over zelious security guards checking your bags, patrons you could not reason with, and bathrooms you mother told you not to use.

LuisV
LuisV on January 29, 2009 at 2:44 pm

One of the first things I would love to see restored is that rather unusual, but incredibly beautiful Blade with the “BOYD” name. This giant punctuation mark, as it were, would tell Philadelphia and the world that the Boyd Theatre is back and here to stay!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 28, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I saw movies regularly here. The balcony was indeed closed off. The orchestra had long ago been reseated, so rows were permanently gone, rather than “missing.” 40% sounds too high for seats roped off.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 28, 2009 at 7:53 pm

When I saw a movie here in the mid/late 90s I couldn’t believe I was sitting in a theatre in such a terrible state of disrepair. Obviously the balcony was closed off but I would say that at least 40% of the orchestra seating was blocked off too. Many rows were missing altogether and it took me 3 seats to find one not broken. It was a fabulous experience seeing such a stunning theatre still open and showing movies. I had a good look around and it was certainly still showing signs of its once wonderful past. I cant remember what movie I saw but it was just me and six others there that evening.
Good luck to any project that saves this gem of a theatre.

alps
alps on December 13, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Let me be first to say, HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY BOYD THEATRE!!!!!
Hope to see you soon.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on October 2, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I hope this plan happens its a win win for everyone.Live Nation will be able to sell the property but still book the theatre with 60 acts a year. The Hotel will make the theatre more vaible and at the same time revive the area the Boyd is in. The Boyd will get the restoration it deserves and the Academy of Music and the Kimmell Center are still able to book Broadway shows.brucec

LuisV
LuisV on September 10, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Nevermind Al……..Here is a summary of the news item.

PHILADELPHIA, PA â€" A local developer says he has a deal in place to buy the [url/theater/1209/] Boyd Theatre[/url] and plans to make it the centerpiece of a $95 million hotel and entertainment complex. Hal Wheeler of ARCWheeler expects to close the deal with current owner Live Nation by November 25, and intends to build a 30-story, 250-room hotel to the west of the theater.

Live Nation would book live entertainment into the theater about 60 nights a year, leaving it available for other events the rest of the time. Broadway-type plays would not be part of the plan, as the hotel would be built on land that was to be the site of a stage house for the Boyd under a previous proposal.

Wheeler’s development proposal, like Live Nation’s earlier plan to turn the Boyd into a Broadway roadhouse, would restore the theater to its original art deco glamour. But the project’s scope is far more ambitious, and aims to transform the 1900 block of Chestnut Street from a retail backwater into a Center City nightlife destination.

LuisV
LuisV on September 10, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Al…What news? Please share. Thanks!

alps
alps on September 9, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Good news today in the newspaper about the Boyd Theater. I hope the deal works out, I would at least liken it to the Tower Theater, only with places to eat and nearby clubs, will make it “the” Chestnut St. happening. I pray the new owners will not back out on the film part, like the Prince did. Until then, thank you, Howard, you have put up with nonscence by some on this site and you’ve handled it with class. Why should Ambler have all the fun?

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on August 11, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Yes — our add-a-photo feature is currently offline, but we look forward to adding this capability in the near future. Users routinely post images on flickr or other sites and link them to theater pages and/or find other images and post links to them here.

Rogue
Rogue on August 11, 2008 at 12:20 pm

I can’t believe no one has submitted a photo of this theatre.

uptownjen
uptownjen on August 8, 2008 at 5:59 pm

congrats to you, friends of the boyd!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 8, 2008 at 1:04 pm

This morning, the Philadelphia Historical Commission unanimously voted to add the Boyd Theatre to the PHILADELPHIA REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES!

Designation of the Boyd means that the building’s exterior is legally protected from demolition or alteration. Today’s decision was a landmark reversal of the 2002 denial. Today’s action means that the City of Philadelphia has done the right thing in taking this step! It does not mean the plywood on the facade comes down and the Boyd magically reopens, with its ornate Art Deco exterior and interior restored for public entertainment.
There’s more work to do!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 7, 2008 at 7:38 am

(1) Cover story on Philadelphia theaters in today’s City Paper, including the Boyd. This you can read online:

(2) new Arcadia book, Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Square, also features the Boyd on one page.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 4, 2008 at 9:32 pm

I took this place for granted when I lived in Philly. I had my pick of theaters, though, with the Goldman, the houses at 16th and Chestnut, the Midtown over by Broad Street, and even the Fox, which disappeared soon after I moved to town. Them was the days.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 4, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Friends of the Boyd have had several hundred people show up to support our cause many times, including various film fundraisers at International House, and at one particular tour. We’ve received tons of letters, emails, and other communications in support, and have a mailing list in the thousands. There’s no question that the public overwhelmingly supports our cause.

dennisczimmerman
dennisczimmerman on August 4, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Many many comments ago I mentioned it would be nice if someone put together a book of the Boyd Theatre. Detailing the history of the theatre and including as many pictures as possible. I know it would not raise enough money to restore the theatre, but I would certainly think there is enough interest in this theatre that the book would sell and at least help raise funds. I have bought enough “books” from the Theatre Historical organization which, in size comparison, would be similar to the souvenier programs that were sold during the roadshow film days. I am so glad I took the pictures I took back in the 1960’s of the Philadelphia theatres. However, I only have exterior pictures. It would be nice to have some history of the interiors as well. Since the Boyd is the only one left standing, this an opportunity worth pursuing. I am also still amazed at the number of people who attend rallies, meetings, etc. With the population of Philadelphia, you would certainly think more than a handful to a hundred would participate. I know the wheels of progress turn slow, but I keep thinking if the citizens of Philadelphia really cared, there would be an outpouring of support to save this masterpiece. There have been other theatres in a lot worse condition that have been brought back to life across this country. Do you suppose by the time the “touring revival of ‘The Lion King’ travels the country the Boyd could be one of its stops??