Boyd Theatre

1908-18 Chestnut Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19103

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 2, 2010 at 1:27 am

“Revitalizing Chestnut Street” – where have I heard that before?

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on March 21, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Penway14, The Boyd Theatre is still standing, with the Boyd Cinerama marquee and the vertical “Sam Eric 4” marquee. The Aldine/Viking/Cinema 19/Sam’s Place Twin Theatre is also still standing, with a CVS/pharmacy inside the building.

That theatre that was a block over was probally the World Theatre

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 6, 2010 at 8:39 am

I really got to know the Boyd when I was college at West Chester, but when I was younger my parents had taken me into Philly to see “Seven Wonders of the World” in Cinerama. I remember looking over the edge of the balcony because the sound was so realistic I thought there was an orchestra down there. I also remember seeing MGM’s “Ben-Hur” and “Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” (in 3-panel Cinerama).
When I was in college I saw Fellini’s “La Dolce Vita” there. It was in some odd European wide-screen process but still very impressive on the Boyd’s still wide screen.
veyoung mentions a planned reopening. Is the Boyd building still even there?
I also remember the Viking, a little ways down Chestnet St. from the Boyd. I remember sneaking in from West Chester one evening to see a re-issue of “Raintree County” there.
There was also a small theater about a block over from Chestnut (as I recall). It used to show double features of second-run foreign (and probably other) films, sort of like some of the theaters on old 42nd St. in NYC. I don’t remember the name of it it but I went there a lot after college.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 3, 2010 at 5:49 am

Here is a November 1968 photo from Temple U:

veyoung52
veyoung52 on January 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

Hal Wheeler, who planned to acquire and reopen the Boyd, passed away this past Monday (25).

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on January 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

Picture of the original Cinerama screen at the Boyd from the Temple University’s Urban Archive: (ridiculously described as a “white backdrop”: View link

alps
alps on December 31, 2009 at 3:16 am

Here is hoping in 2010 something will be done with this theater. In Montgomery County, they are having great success.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 3, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Jonathan, that’s great! Are there other Philadelphia theaters on slides there, too? If so, please link them to the appropriate pages, and feel free to email me directly (found after clicking my name).

muviebuf
muviebuf on September 3, 2009 at 9:01 pm

For those who would like to see a gorgeous color slide of the Boyd in Philadelphia in her Cinerama days there one for sale (mislabled) currently on Fleecebay: ClickHere.

William
William on June 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm

It’s listed as Sam’s Place One & Two. In the search area check off previous names.

Hibi
Hibi on June 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm

What is the theater down the street in that picture? The Aldine? I tried searching for it and nothing came up. Is it listed here by another name?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 9, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Here is the photo to which Dennis was referring. Date is 1980. I actually saw that film at the Sam Eric when it was playing there.

dennisczimmerman
dennisczimmerman on April 19, 2009 at 7:24 pm

American Classic Images also has an older picture of the Sameric before the other three theatres were added. The film showing was a 70mm presentation (Either a “Star Wars” and “Indy” film if I remember.) And they had the fabric banner around the bottom of the marquee stating it was a 70mm 6 track Dolby stereo sound presentation. Even though I have a picture of the “Boyd” from earlier, I am still thinking of ordering a copy of this one. And the sign board above the marquee only advertises the one film – naturally.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on March 31, 2009 at 12:53 am

I would also like to see, when The Boyd does reopen,some photos of its days as the RKO Stanley Warner’s Boyd and as Sam Shapiro’s/United Artists Sameric 4 Theatre.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 25, 2009 at 12:55 am

Refurbished restrooms will be wonderful indeed.

alps
alps on February 13, 2009 at 3:21 am

I am looking forward to attending The Boyd with the awe I had the first time I walked in there in June of 1967. No longer the sad dying cinema. with over zelious security guards checking your bags, patrons you could not reason with, and bathrooms you mother told you not to use.

LuisV
LuisV on January 29, 2009 at 7:44 pm

One of the first things I would love to see restored is that rather unusual, but incredibly beautiful Blade with the “BOYD” name. This giant punctuation mark, as it were, would tell Philadelphia and the world that the Boyd Theatre is back and here to stay!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 29, 2009 at 1:01 am

I saw movies regularly here. The balcony was indeed closed off. The orchestra had long ago been reseated, so rows were permanently gone, rather than “missing.” 40% sounds too high for seats roped off.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 29, 2009 at 12:53 am

When I saw a movie here in the mid/late 90s I couldn’t believe I was sitting in a theatre in such a terrible state of disrepair. Obviously the balcony was closed off but I would say that at least 40% of the orchestra seating was blocked off too. Many rows were missing altogether and it took me 3 seats to find one not broken. It was a fabulous experience seeing such a stunning theatre still open and showing movies. I had a good look around and it was certainly still showing signs of its once wonderful past. I cant remember what movie I saw but it was just me and six others there that evening.
Good luck to any project that saves this gem of a theatre.

alps
alps on December 13, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Let me be first to say, HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY BOYD THEATRE!!!!!
Hope to see you soon.