Boyd Theatre

Philadelphia, PA 19103

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Here is a November 1968 photo from Temple U:

veyoung52
veyoung52 on January 29, 2010 at 2:56 am

Hal Wheeler, who planned to acquire and reopen the Boyd, passed away this past Monday (25).

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on January 21, 2010 at 1:40 am

Picture of the original Cinerama screen at the Boyd from the Temple University’s Urban Archive: (ridiculously described as a “white backdrop”: View link

alps
alps on December 30, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Here is hoping in 2010 something will be done with this theater. In Montgomery County, they are having great success.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 3, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Jonathan, that’s great! Are there other Philadelphia theaters on slides there, too? If so, please link them to the appropriate pages, and feel free to email me directly (found after clicking my name).

muviebuf
muviebuf on September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm

For those who would like to see a gorgeous color slide of the Boyd in Philadelphia in her Cinerama days there one for sale (mislabled) currently on Fleecebay: ClickHere.

William
William on June 16, 2009 at 3:27 pm

It’s listed as Sam’s Place One & Two. In the search area check off previous names.

Hibi
Hibi on June 16, 2009 at 3:12 pm

What is the theater down the street in that picture? The Aldine? I tried searching for it and nothing came up. Is it listed here by another name?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 9, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Here is the photo to which Dennis was referring. Date is 1980. I actually saw that film at the Sam Eric when it was playing there.

dennisczimmerman
dennisczimmerman on April 19, 2009 at 12:24 pm

American Classic Images also has an older picture of the Sameric before the other three theatres were added. The film showing was a 70mm presentation (Either a “Star Wars” and “Indy” film if I remember.) And they had the fabric banner around the bottom of the marquee stating it was a 70mm 6 track Dolby stereo sound presentation. Even though I have a picture of the “Boyd” from earlier, I am still thinking of ordering a copy of this one. And the sign board above the marquee only advertises the one film – naturally.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on March 30, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I would also like to see, when The Boyd does reopen,some photos of its days as the RKO Stanley Warner’s Boyd and as Sam Shapiro’s/United Artists Sameric 4 Theatre.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 24, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Refurbished restrooms will be wonderful indeed.

alps
alps on February 12, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I am looking forward to attending The Boyd with the awe I had the first time I walked in there in June of 1967. No longer the sad dying cinema. with over zelious security guards checking your bags, patrons you could not reason with, and bathrooms you mother told you not to use.

LuisV
LuisV on January 29, 2009 at 12:44 pm

One of the first things I would love to see restored is that rather unusual, but incredibly beautiful Blade with the “BOYD” name. This giant punctuation mark, as it were, would tell Philadelphia and the world that the Boyd Theatre is back and here to stay!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 28, 2009 at 6:01 pm

I saw movies regularly here. The balcony was indeed closed off. The orchestra had long ago been reseated, so rows were permanently gone, rather than “missing.” 40% sounds too high for seats roped off.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 28, 2009 at 5:53 pm

When I saw a movie here in the mid/late 90s I couldn’t believe I was sitting in a theatre in such a terrible state of disrepair. Obviously the balcony was closed off but I would say that at least 40% of the orchestra seating was blocked off too. Many rows were missing altogether and it took me 3 seats to find one not broken. It was a fabulous experience seeing such a stunning theatre still open and showing movies. I had a good look around and it was certainly still showing signs of its once wonderful past. I cant remember what movie I saw but it was just me and six others there that evening.
Good luck to any project that saves this gem of a theatre.

alps
alps on December 13, 2008 at 10:29 am

Let me be first to say, HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY BOYD THEATRE!!!!!
Hope to see you soon.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on October 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm

I hope this plan happens its a win win for everyone.Live Nation will be able to sell the property but still book the theatre with 60 acts a year. The Hotel will make the theatre more vaible and at the same time revive the area the Boyd is in. The Boyd will get the restoration it deserves and the Academy of Music and the Kimmell Center are still able to book Broadway shows.brucec

LuisV
LuisV on September 10, 2008 at 10:58 am

Nevermind Al……..Here is a summary of the news item.

PHILADELPHIA, PA â€" A local developer says he has a deal in place to buy the [url/theater/1209/] Boyd Theatre[/url] and plans to make it the centerpiece of a $95 million hotel and entertainment complex. Hal Wheeler of ARCWheeler expects to close the deal with current owner Live Nation by November 25, and intends to build a 30-story, 250-room hotel to the west of the theater.

Live Nation would book live entertainment into the theater about 60 nights a year, leaving it available for other events the rest of the time. Broadway-type plays would not be part of the plan, as the hotel would be built on land that was to be the site of a stage house for the Boyd under a previous proposal.

Wheeler’s development proposal, like Live Nation’s earlier plan to turn the Boyd into a Broadway roadhouse, would restore the theater to its original art deco glamour. But the project’s scope is far more ambitious, and aims to transform the 1900 block of Chestnut Street from a retail backwater into a Center City nightlife destination.

LuisV
LuisV on September 10, 2008 at 10:55 am

Al…What news? Please share. Thanks!