Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 76 - 100 of 1,371 comments

BobbyS
BobbyS on November 12, 2012 at 4:22 am

Loew’s Kings mighty wurlitizer is sitting in an Oklahoma warehouse. It is waiting for its new/old home..According to its former owner, not one thing has been done to the Kings as of November 2012.

BobbyS
BobbyS on November 1, 2012 at 3:58 pm

The Fox must have had a larger stage then the King’s and was used much more often which in turn created $$$$$. Probably if more thought was given, Loew’s would have only built the Paradise in the Bronx since they had the Met and other screens in Brookyln. Maybe ACE looked at the profits of the newly re-opened Paradise and had second thoughts especially after the Barclays debut. But not to mention the Kings in that article about Brooklyn in the dailynews leads me to believe it never did very well profitwise.

BobbyS
BobbyS on November 1, 2012 at 5:35 am

Amazing !! Not even the words “Loew’s Kings” mentioned past or present.. I am afraid Scott might be right..

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on October 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Not to belabor the point, but if the comment being referred to is this one of April 26, 2011 at barbrasteisand.com, the only thing she says about ice cream is that “[the Kings] had…great ice cream cones.” Perhaps they were like a local version of Drumsticks.

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm

It will be interesting to see what she says this week during her show at the Barclays concerning her days visiting the Loew’s Kings.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 29, 2012 at 5:05 am

Also she mentioned how wonderful the ice cream treats were at the Kings. Many flavors and generous portions. How great would it be if she did a first night benfit for continued preservation of this glorious movie palace!

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on September 29, 2012 at 12:47 am

Yes. She shot that down in the same post that she mentioned how happy she was to hear it was being restored.

Scott
Scott on September 28, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Her connection to the Kings is nothing more than the fact she saw movies there, correct? She shot down the myth that she was an usher, if I recall.

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on September 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm

She’s aware of it. She mentioned it on her blog a while back.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 28, 2012 at 3:30 pm

That is a great thought Tinseltoes. I also wonder if she will request a tour of her “old haunt”.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 28, 2012 at 6:10 am

I too will shut up and just be patient!

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm

It is not a question of whether a developer “knows about” the process and the steps involved (I am sure that ACE does, as it is completing work on the Saenger restoration in New Orleans and that was certainly comparably complicated), it is that the process and time required is notoriously unpredictable, because of the fact the various agencies operate independently and often autonomously; in some cases, when an applicant’s plans are disapproved or sent back for changes, the process has to be restarted with one or more of the other agencies.

Scott
Scott on September 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I still don’t understand the snails pace at which things move these days. It probably took less time for George and C.W. Rapp to design the entire building back in 1928 than it’s taking to figure out the renovation today. And I’ll bet it took only around 10-14 months to build the Kings. But, I will shut up and just be patient.

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on September 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Even if the Uptown gets the money next year, I doubt it will open by 2015. This stuff takes time. Last I heard (and it was confirmed by the Ditmas Park Corner) ACE is still trying to figure out the best way to replicate the decor of the theater.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm

On the other hand, Jam Productions here in Chicago have everything ready to start on the Uptown Theater. Parking, traffic flow,alcohol license,design teams(the seats on the main floor will be removed for a dance floor).What is NOT in place is the $70 million funds which they predict will happen next year with an opening date in 2015. They would never have bought the building to let it sit for years and had plenty of time to “iron out” the details. Its not that we are pessimists, but is there even a sign outside the Kings announcing the project? Does Ace actually own the building and have title?

LuisV
LuisV on September 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Has it occurred to anyone that ACE knew full well how long it would take and THAT is why it is not projected to open until 2015 even though the deal was reached a coupe of years ago? I have no doubt whatsoever that this theater will be restored as planned. NONE.
:–)

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on September 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm

It says right on the front page of ACE’s website “Projected to open in 2015” You guys are such pessimists. Just because they’re not announcing every single step, doesn’t mean nothing is going on.

Scott
Scott on September 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Surely ACE would have known about all this red tape when they estimated completion by 2014. Hopefully you are correct that the bureaucracy involved is the culprit. I’m sure it takes a long time to line up public funding; however, if there is no progress within the next few months I think we can assume that the project is at least on hold.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 27, 2012 at 5:47 am

Oh would that that were true! But in this case, just as an example, a lengthy impact study had to be completed to determine how traffic and transportation would be affected even before any work began (this can be found online). Then there will be the approval of construction plans by various city and state agencies, environmental impact statements, and review for adherence to hiring and affirmative action requirements (especially if public funds are involved).

In addition, if this theater has an historic designation or is within an historic district, additional panels will have to review the plans and determine if the repairs and alterations conform to preservation guidelines. If the operator wants to serve alcohol, the there will be a review of the license application. In addition, there may be neighborhood groups or civic groups that may want to have a legitimate say in the project.

Many of the agencies involved in these reviews are autonomous and cannot be overruled by another body, even in the interest of expediting the process.

It is not my intention to be negative here; it is just that I have had some personal if low level experience in trying to save a few theaters and the process is often frustrating and complicated.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 27, 2012 at 5:19 am

On the other hand, one would think the city/state would “grease” the way for a prompt easying of bureaucratic rules to get this project up & running. It will be 2013 in three months. A delay would only hurt the investors I would think. I think I will go with Scott on this one..

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 27, 2012 at 5:19 am

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

There does not seem to have been anything in the print media since the announcements in February; however, the project is still listed at the ACE Theatrical website with a completion date set for 2014. It would not surprise me if the delay may be due to the often maze-like, cumbersome, regulatory, and bureaucratic set of hurdles that projects such as this have to jump, especially in large cities.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 26, 2012 at 5:45 am

I don’t want to believe Tinseltoes posting the need for the King’s existing due to the new Barclays opening and the small theater created for smaller shows. I wonder what tax breaks the Barclays received from the city/state and if any public funds were used in that massive project. Is The King’s to be funded by ACE entirely? I thought the city manager had a hand in it. You might be on to something Scott….

Scott
Scott on September 22, 2012 at 6:22 am

Bobby, yes one would think that the restoration would have started by now. Though people say otherwise, I suspect ACE is having second thoughts about the magnitude of the investment required.

GoBoy
GoBoy on September 22, 2012 at 3:03 am

Since the announcement of the restoration plan,I have not found any new articles,about it.I no longer live in the area so I can’t go to look around.Doesn’t anyone else ever go by? If there is any work going on you could see it,by just walking around out side.There is plenty that has to be done,just to stabilize the building before any restoration work is done.