Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 76 - 100 of 1,407 comments

Brooklynboy43
Brooklynboy43 on August 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I had the opportunity to be inside the theater several months ago. The renovations are really going strong, but much to do. The grand staircase, as well as the side one brought back many memories. Although the candy counter is gone, some of the old red velvet curtains still hang. The theater itself is under major demolition and construction. It’s amazing!

markp
markp on August 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Why is it I click onto so many of these links and nothing happens???

LuisV
LuisV on August 22, 2013 at 8:23 am

It’s time to change the status of this theater to RENOVATING! WooHoo! For all the naysayers that said this would never happen and that it wasn’t happening, here is bonafide proof that it IS happening and there is a lot of work underway! The photo Gallery in the link below is very impressive indeed. Grand Opening of the Loew’s Kings will be towards the end on 2014! :–)

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 20, 2013 at 9:52 am

Thanks Matt…What wonderful news! What a re-opening this will be!

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on August 7, 2013 at 6:02 am

Thanks, Ken Roe, for your June 2013 photos. I see plenty of activity in your photos. A new office construction trailer has been set up, new fences have been put up all around the site, and it looks like all kinds of building permits have been posted underneath the marquee. All good signs. Stands to reason most of the work is being done inside the building.

JamesD
JamesD on August 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Oh there’s a lot being done. You just have to walk around the outside of the building to see that. As of late July the back of the building looks completely different from the photo’s Ken Roe posted.

LuisV
LuisV on August 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Please have some patience. There is lots of work happening inside. The renderings clearly show that the outside will be upgraded as well. This is a multi year project. Everything doesn’t happen at once.

sgreenberg
sgreenberg on July 17, 2013 at 4:40 am

David – My aunt Dorothy remarried. Her name was Solomon at the time.

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on June 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Mr. Greenberg – I may be able to help you. Please e-mail me at when you get a chance.

DavidDymond
DavidDymond on June 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I thought her name was DOROTHY SOLOMON!! Dorothy Panzica must be her married name right?? I remember seeing her in a movie filmed years ago about LOEW’S KINGS!!

sgreenberg
sgreenberg on June 10, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I hope some photos are released during the restoration. My aunt, Dorothy Panzica, was the last manager of the theater. She is 99 now and I’d love for her to see some good news. More than anything, I’d like her to see the finished result.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 8, 2013 at 8:41 am

The good news is that it is slated to reopen as a performance venue next year, it’s been a long time since I’ve been on this site

DJM78
DJM78 on May 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm

The Kings is about a 7 block walk from the Beverly Road Q train station. Give or take a block. I also believe that the B41 Bus will get you there. There are Mass Transit options.

stspezi
stspezi on May 24, 2013 at 2:36 pm

In 1970 my high school graduation was held at the Loew’s King’s theater. I have vivid memories of that graduation. I played in the orchestra on the front part of the stage that could lower into a pit. The organ console also went up and down and the organ sounded wonderful.

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 11, 2013 at 9:49 pm

A theater without its house organ is like an organ without pipes…….

atmos
atmos on May 11, 2013 at 7:03 am

The restoration of the Saenger Theatre in New Orleans is costing $52 Million.The area will benefit greatly with the theatre open.

Keith
Keith on May 11, 2013 at 5:41 am

Taken from loews kings facebook “I stopped by the other day and was able to see scaffolding in both the lobby and the auditorium. All the seating was gone thanks to mildew but the standards have been saved for re-use.”

spectrum
spectrum on March 28, 2013 at 8:42 am

Here’s a nice comprehensive overview of the Loew’s Kings renovation at the New York City Economic Development Corporation’s website:

The site also includes documents from the Environmental Quality Review, details on scope of project, and a blog with regular updates.

Official Groundbreaking took place on March 19, 2013.

A FlickR photoset of the bgroundbreaking at the Major’s office photstream may be accessed at:

“Following preliminary work untaken by ACE Theatrical over the last three years, New York City has executed a 55-year lease with the Kings Theatre Redevelopment Corporation – a consortium of ACE Theatrical, Goldman Sachs and the National Development Council – to begin the full redevelopment and rehabilitation of the theatre”

LuisV
LuisV on March 13, 2013 at 8:21 am

I’ve been to the Kings via the subway. It’s about 5 blocks away. I can’t wait to see the results and I will travel…….by subway!

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 11, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Mass transit is alive & well both in New York and Chicago. But we need the movie palaces to be open & running for us to get to don’t we?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 11, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Now if there was only some way to get there by mass transit we’d have it made.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 11, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Couldn’t agree more…The Uptown in Chicago is also one of these masterpieces and should be saved and restored by the city of chicago and for the nation.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on March 11, 2013 at 5:19 pm

To save any movie palace and find new use for it as a theatrical force in its community is great. Of course! BUT, the Kings is also architecturally one of the maybe 10 very finest of all of the 1000s of movie palaces ever built. This makes it a huge triumph of historic preservation and restoration. A masterpiece saved. Bravo New York and Brooklyn! This is a treasure not just for Brooklyn but for the nation.

Brooklynboy43
Brooklynboy43 on February 12, 2013 at 9:51 pm

To restore a landmark such as this is wonderful. It is representative of a past era and should be restored, used and maintained. This was my neighborhood theater, and I remember it well. Although taken for granted at the time,its beauty was unsurpassed. Hooray for the renovation. Cannot wait until it opens!