Kingsway Theatre

946 Kings Highway,
Brooklyn, NY 11223

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 27, 2004 at 9:22 pm

i dont ever see this as an art house not the crowed.

jays
jays on September 25, 2004 at 10:24 am

this was a very nice theatre as a twin I saw “Star Wars” as a kid only 8 or 9 yrs. young this theatre was breathtaken. I could only Imagine it during the single screen days. I saw it in the downstairs auditorium. I’ve went to this theatre quite a few times it wasn’t that bad a pretty cool nieghborhood theatre in fact if it were still open I’d still go there even though I live in Jersey. They could’ve done a lot with this theatre if anything this couldv'e been an arthouse.

Orlando
Orlando on September 18, 2004 at 3:36 pm

This was not the first theatre to be twinned in Brooklyn. Prior to this was the Benson, Rugby, Beverly (by Golden) and the Alpine (by Loew’s). Century was a bit slow at twinning their propeties. The Rugby was done in 1974 and the Benson a year earlier. The Beverly was done in 1975-6 and didn’t last to long after the twinning.

naaaatt
naaaatt on September 17, 2004 at 8:03 pm

Mike Radio: Remember the small Triangle and the independent Jewel bet. E.7th & 8th on Kings Highway?

RobertR
RobertR on August 20, 2004 at 5:18 am

This place was never kept up properly, with the right management it could still be open. Not everyone in Brooklyn is a fan of the Sheepsead Bay.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 19, 2004 at 10:42 pm

THE KINGSWAY IN TH E 90S WAS THE STEPCHILD OF RKO / CINEPLEX ODEON THERE BOX OFFICE # WERE NEVER WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN . A nice local theater.Theater 5 was a strange set up but was the nicest in the theater.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on July 30, 2004 at 8:30 am

Here is a quick Kingsway update: There is now a Jennifer Convertibles/Leather Store in the former backstage-stagehouse area of the Kingsway, directly behind the Walgreen’s Drug Store. Someone is also working on building something in the former upstairs theatre part as well, sheetrock walls are being put in.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2004 at 6:00 am

Here is some information on the seating capacity for each of the Kingsway’s auditoriums. Theatre 1: 433 seats, Theatre 2: 429 seats, Theatre 3: 315 seats, Theatre 4: 550 seats, Theatre 5: 450 seats.

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 22, 2004 at 9:19 am

I can’t believe this theater finally closed. When I lived on West 13th street we would go there all the time to see the movies. The last movie I saw there was “The Haunting"in 1999 (which was a major dissapointment). But I saw "Spice World” there and I saw “Titanic” there and I saw “Wild Things” there. I also saw “Hoffa” there with Lisa when I was going to Brooklyn College. Sad news indeed.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on April 10, 2004 at 7:25 pm

Wow… Warren you are a wealth of knowledge….

Can I ask you.. what is the history of the Goldens chain? I worked at the Oceana for awhile… (I know we are on the Knigsway site)

Mike

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on April 10, 2004 at 12:38 pm

Does anyone remember the old brand in Ny “Red Carpet Theatres” and also “Blue Ribbon Theatres”?

If so, which theatres carried those names.. I only vaguley remember comemrcials ending with “Now playing at a Red Carpet Theatre near you.”

What other brands were there back then…. and is Loews not owned by Sony any more?

Orlando
Orlando on April 10, 2004 at 8:04 am

You forgot the Oceana and Sheapshead Theatres.

William
William on April 10, 2004 at 7:02 am

During the mid 40’s the Century Theatres in Brooklyn were: Albemarie, Avalon, College, Elm, Farragut, Kingsway, Linden, Marine, Mayfair, Midwood, Nostrand, Parkside, Patio, Quentin, Rialto, Tivoli, Triangle, Vogue.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on April 10, 2004 at 6:33 am

Warren,

I will always remember it as the CENTURY Kingsway….

I also rem,ember the CENTURY Avalon, and Mayfair…. which others were DCentury theatres in Brooklyn at that time???

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on April 10, 2004 at 6:32 am

Ron,

I see the area all the time… I grew up there and am back through there once a month. it is a fine area.

And, YOU are the ignorant and uneducated person on here. People can type whatever they like here, and if you have a problem you should explore some professional help choices, and not attack people on a message board that you do not know.

You obviously have some sort of strange problem so please keep it to yourself.

RobertR
RobertR on April 7, 2004 at 6:48 am

Michael if only you saw the area this theatre was in you might re-think your ignorant and uneducated comment.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on February 19, 2004 at 11:10 am

The upstairs consession standf was rarely used… Only on weekends years ago when they had very full house…

The please was a dump at the end, but mos tplaces that are not kept up become that…. It would have been a great theatre to save and keep.

Brooklyn’s first “twinned” theatre!

RobertR
RobertR on February 17, 2004 at 12:13 pm

So much could have been done with this theatre, not everyone who lives in Brooklyn wants to go to The Sheepsead Bay. On the weekend the exit is backed up onto the Belt Parkway.

genahy
genahy on February 17, 2004 at 11:59 am

There was ALWAYS a problem with the AC here, but it was charming nonetheless. Upstairs there was a concession stand that must have been used at one time, but was no longer used by the time I was there seeing films. RKO Kingsway was scary as security was not tight, particularly by the bathroon. Nice murals on the side, lovely balcony entrance (for show; not for use). A real loss to the neighborhood.

Nelson
Nelson on February 15, 2004 at 1:45 pm

The Last time i was at the Kingsway was in the early 90’s it was a Satuday night and people were actually drinking and smoking in there.It was in theatre 5 which was as noted around the corner from the other entrance so i guess they didint really keep an eye on things there. I only went there a couple of times but every time was for the most part a negative experience.

I went to see Jacobs Ladder there it was summertime, there was a probelm with the A/C which cut off before the previews and it quickly became paked and about 100 degrees inside. The sound cut on and off and about 30 min into the movie i left and asked for my money back .

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on December 4, 2003 at 5:53 pm

The Kingsway was the first theatre, or at least the first I remember, in Brooklyn that was TWINNED.

I lived a few blocks from the theatre on Ocean Parkway. I remember the first movie to play in “theatre 2” upstairs was Mel Brooks' Silent Movie.

The Kingsway’s main auditorium always had a FABULOUS curtain. It was lit from the bottom in such a way that it looked like it had these deep circles, and it went up instead of opening side to side, like most did.

Since this was the first to be twinned, they really didn’t know how to make a new theatre, without the no longer needed ammeneties of a classic vaudville theatre. That being the case, the second floor, which was the balcony and housed theatre 2 had it’s own stage and curtain (although a very plain curtain) even though these things were not needed any more.

Later, the theatre was turned into a TRIPLEX, by dividing the lower auditorium into 2, and then a QUAD by divinding the upper auditoriums into 2.

Eventually, they took the “backstage” area, and made it into Theatre 5.. with it’s own entrance and Marquee on Coney Island Avenue. You had to walk around the side to get in.

Even though theatre 5 was an add on, it was very plush, and even had a balcony of it’s own.

As a child, a friend and me used to get in “for free” by telling the ticket taker we wanted tos ee the manager, whose office was to the left of the entrance doors. He would point us in, and we would dart up the stairs to see a movie.

This theatre was owned as far as I can remember by Century, which later became ALMI CENTURY, and then ALMI CENTURY WARNER…. then it became RKO CENTURY and finally was purchased by Cineplex Odeon.

At the end, this theatre was only open for 3 shows in the afternoon and evening.

There was a fantastic mural on the wall of this theatre which portrayed old time Brooklyn. The theatre also was “competing” with the Oceana for being the biggest. While this theatre grew in screen size, other Century theatres left the scene including the Avalon farther up Kings Highway, and the Mayfair on Avenue U off COney Island Avenue. As a kid, I remmeber thinking they would TWIN all the other theatres and we would have lots of screens all over… but they didn’t.. they just closed them down.

I miss the Kingsway… it was the theatre of my youth. It had this unique theater smell when you walked in. I wish I know they would close so I could have seen one more movie… at the end I am sure it was dumpy like most became… but another drug store (especially with one right accorss the street) is more dumpy in my book!

Mike

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on November 2, 2003 at 9:45 am

Theatre number 5 was located in the former stagehouse of this Brooklyn Movie Palace.

MarkW
MarkW on October 18, 2003 at 12:22 am

This former theater is now a Walgreens drug store. Sad transformation.

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on November 5, 2002 at 11:20 am

I recently drove past the old theater and noticed that large squares have been cut through the outer walls on the Coney Island side and the Kings Highway front. My guess is that the new tenant wants lots of natural sunlight.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on August 4, 2002 at 3:35 pm

Location: SW corner of Kings Highway and Coney Island Avenue.