Loew's Oriental Theatre

1832 86th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11214

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2006 at 3:48 pm

I write this comment openly to Patrick and/or Ross and would like to know why it is that Warren continues to get away with wantonly aggravating other members on this site with no apparent provocation? Perhaps he has been privately admonished, but I see no contrition or abatement on his part. It may be Warren has been careful not to cross any “obvious” lines and becoming vulgar or explicit – but aren’t some of his comments of late even in the slightest bit reprehensible? Go check out his comments on the Beacon Theater page (CT #42) from November 6th towards Lost Memory and mikemovies and tell me I’m wrong.

As great as so many of his contributions over the years have been to this site, I am hard pressed to think of another individual member who has been the cause of more personal rancor on this site or wasted more bandwidth by belligerently haranguing folks over the nature of their contributions and comments.

I am getting pretty fed up with it.

mikemorano
mikemorano on November 8, 2006 at 11:36 am

I don’t understand how that comment got messed up. Perhaps ‘Warren" caused it. haha

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 8, 2006 at 10:52 am

Yes, “Lost Memory” is so sharing. But I would call it a “hot” photo, since it is plainly marked as being under copyright to a Brooklyn agency. If “Lost Memory” had obtained it honestly by paying for its use, the markings would have been removed.

mikemorano
mikemorano on November 8, 2006 at 9:03 am

Very cool photo. Thanx for sharing and not being selfish like another fella here.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 8, 2006 at 5:25 am

Yet another recent view of the exterior can be seen at the very end of the new two-part article about Dyker and Bath Beaches, Brooklyn, at www.forgotten-ny.com

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on July 11, 2006 at 8:57 am

Originally the theatre was made into a twin in the mid 70’s by splitting the orchestra and balcony sections.

Later in the early 80’s the balcony was split into two thus creating a triplex theatre. Two theatres above and a single theatre underneath.

YMike
YMike on July 11, 2006 at 8:02 am

The balcony was split into 2 theaters. The orchestra was untouched.

Bway
Bway on July 10, 2006 at 6:29 am

How was it cut up when they multiplexed it, two or three theaters in the old balcony?

RobertR
RobertR on July 10, 2006 at 6:08 am

So some enterprising person could do something with the balcony theatres?

frankie
frankie on July 10, 2006 at 5:22 am

The last movie to play here was “A Pyromaniac’s Love Story.” A long way from “Moonstruck”, which I saw there one cold winter’s night !

YMike
YMike on June 19, 2006 at 1:49 am

It’s a Marshalls Dept. Store although only the first floor is being used.

ShortyC
ShortyC on June 19, 2006 at 1:36 am

What is currently happening to the theatre, what is there now?

Bway
Bway on June 8, 2006 at 4:28 am

Here’s an aerial view of the massive Oriental Theater building:

verranth1
verranth1 on June 1, 2006 at 4:11 am

My mother lived on 19th Street between Cropsey and Bay Shore. She went to Lafeyette High School and was very pretty.

Her name was Vivian Gelardi.

She always told a story about this theatre.

One day, in 1959, “Pillow Talk” opened there. My mother went to a Saturday Matinee and loved it so much she stayed till the midnight show.

Now, my mother had told her mother where she was going but when she failed to show up for dinner, my Grandfather beagn to panic.

Within minutes, it seemed, the whole block knew my mother had been “kidnapped” and was out looking for her.

When my mother returned home and explained she had been in the movies all day, literally, 5 minutes from her house, my grandfather took off his shoe and started hitting her with it in the middle of the street.

I only went there once or twice but I loved the feeling of it which never exsisted in the more modern theatres of Central New Jersey, where I was raised.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on May 4, 2006 at 6:42 am

DOn’t forget about the WALKER and further down 18th Ave.(Near MacDonald Ave. under the L) the CULVER.

YMike
YMike on March 20, 2006 at 5:21 am

You can add the Marboro to that list.

Theaterat
Theaterat on March 20, 2006 at 5:13 am

East Cost Rocker… Sorry to hear about your mother`s death. On the way you took to the VZ from Luna Park, there were at one time no less than7 theaters there. They were the SHORE, the TILYOU, the STILLWELL, the BENSON, the ORIENTAL, the HOLLYWOOD and the DYKER. Also, not too far away from these were the MERMAID, the SURF, the TRUMP Cinema, the TUXEDO and the DELUXE. Each and every one is now closed, abandoned, demolished, or used for retail. As long as we remember them, they will be , as Neil Young says in RUST NEVER SLEEPS- “gone, but not forgottren”.

EcRocker
EcRocker on February 15, 2006 at 6:37 pm

You know as close as i lived to the Oriental I had never seen a movie there. It was 2 years ago today that my mom died and her funerak was on Feb 18th 2004. She lived her last years in Luna Park. On my way back to Maryland I took my gf through some of the areas i used to hang out in. On the way to the VZ Bridge instead of taking the belt I went straight up 86th st to Ft Hamilton parkway. I wanted to dry when I went by there. I remember all the fights that used to break out on weekends after the last shows let out and people would rush the Vegas Diner. At least the time I passed by the old Lady of 86th street the marquee was not covered over. RIP great Lady.

zomboscloset
zomboscloset on January 14, 2006 at 7:19 pm

I saw my first horror film here, The Terror, with Boris Karloff. I forced my parents to take me so I didn’t have to stay with the babysitter. My mom loved horror, but dad hated it. I loved the balcony and dark interior, and it was close enough to walk to on spring and summer nights to catch the latest horror or sci fi flick. I was heartbroken when it closed.

John (http://zomboscloset.blogspot.com)

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 21, 2005 at 3:11 am

The wait is over! The reference was to “Loew’s Twin-Hit Shows,” a promotion designed to combat competition from the launching of the New York World’s Fair. As a Loew’s circuit ad said: “Our own World’s Fair of double-barreled entertainment on every program. Both features are so good that each is deserving of top honors.” The first program was “Huckleberry Finn” (with Mickey Rooney) & “4 Girls in White.” Among those that followed were “Stagecoach” & “Fast and Loose”; “Ice Follies of 1939” & “Let Us Live”; “Midnight” & I’m From Missouri"; “Broadway Serenade” & “King of Chinatown”; “The Hardys Ride High” & “Society Lawyer”; “Pygmalion” & “The Lady’s From Kentucky”; “East Side of Heaven” & “Calling Dr. Kildare”; “Union Pacific” & “Some Like It Hot”; “Wuthering Heights” & “Blondie Meets the Boss”; “Only Angels Have Wings” & “Spirit of Culver”; “Tarzan Finds a Son” & “Clouds Over Europe.”

PKoch
PKoch on November 16, 2005 at 11:54 am

Thanks, Warren. Perhaps it meant a new Loew’s Twin Theater was about to be opened, or ground broken to start construction of one.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 16, 2005 at 5:17 am

A 1939 billboard. Please note the teaser at the bottom: “LOEW’S ARE EXPECTING TWINS!.” I wonder what that meant?
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/quartet.jpg

jbels
jbels on November 9, 2005 at 5:55 am

That photo is great JohnG, I remember seeing The Deep there. We would ride the bus up from Bay Ridge (The B-13 if I remember correctly, or B-39? Can’t remember and don’t live around there anymore). Saw The Big Bus there, saw Airplane, the Psychic Killer, one of the Friday the 13th’s, Ferris Bueller, etc…Last film I saw there was The Brady Bunch Movie and the theatre was in disrepair by that time.

rigelstar
rigelstar on August 19, 2005 at 6:58 am

From what I remember, the neon signs were working, however, not all of them at the same time. There was always one or two letters out.

PKoch
PKoch on August 19, 2005 at 6:49 am

My father remembers an appearance by Al Jolson at the RKO Madison Theater in Ridgewood, Queens, almost on the Brooklyn-Queens border, and probably, like the Ridgewood, to this day, listed in newspapers as being in Brooklyn.

My dad remembers that Jolson “brought the house down” with “Mammy” and other big numbers. He also claims to have met Jolson coming out of the subway a block from the Madison Theater at Myrtle, Wyckoff and Palmetto, directing him to the Madison, and getting free passes to the show as a result.

I would have thought a star of Jolson’s stature would have pulled up to the back entrance of the Madison on Madison Street in a limousine and entered the theater that way.