Loew's Oriental Theatre

1832 86th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11214

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2006 at 10:23 am

Good points, Theaterat and Bway, and so, so apropos to Election Day !

As we approach Veterans Day, let’s stop running both the “bad movie”, as Bway called it, and end the war within Cinema Treasures.

Bway
Bway on November 9, 2006 at 9:33 am

I agree it’s time for this movie engagement to end, its the same movie in so many theaters…. it’s been playing in so many theaters on this site already….pretty impressive even for theater that have been closed to showing movies….
Time to take those letters off the marquee and move on, and get back to what we are all here for (and it’s not this bad “movie”).

Theaterat
Theaterat on November 9, 2006 at 8:57 am

Friends, Romans, countrymen, etc,etc, etc, Lets stop the personal attacks and senseless accusations. This is a website devoted to theaters and infomation on them be it past or present.After all, we did have enough of that during the election campaign with all those cheap and negative ads from the politicos from BOTH parties! Lets not carry that over to Cinema Treasures!

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on November 9, 2006 at 7:17 am

Warren, it’s not your job to worry about whether an image has copyright issues. Leave that to the people who run this website.

As you can see, attacking the contribution of another user is pretty counter-productive. And, personally, I’m pretty tired of dealing with the same argument, over and over, on multiple theater pages.

Your contributions are welcome. But, if you can’t get along with other users on this site, or at least stop baiting people with negative comments, we may be forced to suspend your posting privileges for a while.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 9, 2006 at 5:18 am

From Warren: <<If “Mark W” needs to contact me, my private e-mail address is displayed (and always has been) at my membership page. There is no need for him to post complaints to the webmaster, if he really has.>>

If Warren had only followed his own advice more often, think of all the space we might have saved on these pages not having to waste bandwidth on the bilge about the bilge! G whiz!

Bway
Bway on November 9, 2006 at 4:42 am

Seriously, I REALLY do know Mark, not personally, but have met him in person a few times. He is most definitely a real person.

Bway
Bway on November 9, 2006 at 4:13 am

MarkW is definitely a different and single person. He is not any of the other people here, I know him from a different forum, and is most definitely not any of the other people here, and can vouch for his credibility.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2006 at 4:39 pm

Lost, the word is “deportment”… which perhaps needs to be amended to “deportation” in his case.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2006 at 3:48 pm

I write this comment openly to Patrick and/or Ross and would like to know why it is that Warren continues to get away with wantonly aggravating other members on this site with no apparent provocation? Perhaps he has been privately admonished, but I see no contrition or abatement on his part. It may be Warren has been careful not to cross any “obvious” lines and becoming vulgar or explicit – but aren’t some of his comments of late even in the slightest bit reprehensible? Go check out his comments on the Beacon Theater page (CT #42) from November 6th towards Lost Memory and mikemovies and tell me I’m wrong.

As great as so many of his contributions over the years have been to this site, I am hard pressed to think of another individual member who has been the cause of more personal rancor on this site or wasted more bandwidth by belligerently haranguing folks over the nature of their contributions and comments.

I am getting pretty fed up with it.

mikemorano
mikemorano on November 8, 2006 at 11:36 am

I don’t understand how that comment got messed up. Perhaps ‘Warren" caused it. haha

mikemorano
mikemorano on November 8, 2006 at 9:03 am

Very cool photo. Thanx for sharing and not being selfish like another fella here.

theatrefan
theatrefan on July 11, 2006 at 8:57 am

Originally the theatre was made into a twin in the mid 70’s by splitting the orchestra and balcony sections.

Later in the early 80’s the balcony was split into two thus creating a triplex theatre. Two theatres above and a single theatre underneath.

YMike
YMike on July 11, 2006 at 8:02 am

The balcony was split into 2 theaters. The orchestra was untouched.

Bway
Bway on July 10, 2006 at 6:29 am

How was it cut up when they multiplexed it, two or three theaters in the old balcony?

RobertR
RobertR on July 10, 2006 at 6:08 am

So some enterprising person could do something with the balcony theatres?

frankie
frankie on July 10, 2006 at 5:22 am

The last movie to play here was “A Pyromaniac’s Love Story.” A long way from “Moonstruck”, which I saw there one cold winter’s night !

YMike
YMike on June 19, 2006 at 1:49 am

It’s a Marshalls Dept. Store although only the first floor is being used.

ShortyC
ShortyC on June 19, 2006 at 1:36 am

What is currently happening to the theatre, what is there now?

Bway
Bway on June 8, 2006 at 4:28 am

Here’s an aerial view of the massive Oriental Theater building:

verranth1
verranth1 on June 1, 2006 at 4:11 am

My mother lived on 19th Street between Cropsey and Bay Shore. She went to Lafeyette High School and was very pretty.

Her name was Vivian Gelardi.

She always told a story about this theatre.

One day, in 1959, “Pillow Talk” opened there. My mother went to a Saturday Matinee and loved it so much she stayed till the midnight show.

Now, my mother had told her mother where she was going but when she failed to show up for dinner, my Grandfather beagn to panic.

Within minutes, it seemed, the whole block knew my mother had been “kidnapped” and was out looking for her.

When my mother returned home and explained she had been in the movies all day, literally, 5 minutes from her house, my grandfather took off his shoe and started hitting her with it in the middle of the street.

I only went there once or twice but I loved the feeling of it which never exsisted in the more modern theatres of Central New Jersey, where I was raised.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on May 4, 2006 at 6:42 am

DOn’t forget about the WALKER and further down 18th Ave.(Near MacDonald Ave. under the L) the CULVER.

YMike
YMike on March 20, 2006 at 5:21 am

You can add the Marboro to that list.

Theaterat
Theaterat on March 20, 2006 at 5:13 am

East Cost Rocker… Sorry to hear about your mother`s death. On the way you took to the VZ from Luna Park, there were at one time no less than7 theaters there. They were the SHORE, the TILYOU, the STILLWELL, the BENSON, the ORIENTAL, the HOLLYWOOD and the DYKER. Also, not too far away from these were the MERMAID, the SURF, the TRUMP Cinema, the TUXEDO and the DELUXE. Each and every one is now closed, abandoned, demolished, or used for retail. As long as we remember them, they will be , as Neil Young says in RUST NEVER SLEEPS- “gone, but not forgottren”.

EcRocker
EcRocker on February 15, 2006 at 6:37 pm

You know as close as i lived to the Oriental I had never seen a movie there. It was 2 years ago today that my mom died and her funerak was on Feb 18th 2004. She lived her last years in Luna Park. On my way back to Maryland I took my gf through some of the areas i used to hang out in. On the way to the VZ Bridge instead of taking the belt I went straight up 86th st to Ft Hamilton parkway. I wanted to dry when I went by there. I remember all the fights that used to break out on weekends after the last shows let out and people would rush the Vegas Diner. At least the time I passed by the old Lady of 86th street the marquee was not covered over. RIP great Lady.

zomboscloset
zomboscloset on January 14, 2006 at 7:19 pm

I saw my first horror film here, The Terror, with Boris Karloff. I forced my parents to take me so I didn’t have to stay with the babysitter. My mom loved horror, but dad hated it. I loved the balcony and dark interior, and it was close enough to walk to on spring and summer nights to catch the latest horror or sci fi flick. I was heartbroken when it closed.

John (http://zomboscloset.blogspot.com)