Cinepolis Chelsea Cinemas

260 W. 23rd Street,
New York, NY 10011

zindarella
zindarella on April 23, 2006 at 2:42 am

I went to see “The Notorious Bettie Page” at the Chelsea recently..I arrived a little late, just as the film was starting. The theater was already dark, and it was hard to see.

I sat down in a seat towards the back, and he seat felt different..The seats were pretty dated and in bad condition, but this seat was very plush…Since it was in a handicapped section, I thought it was some sort of experimental seat!

As my eyes adjusted to the light, I looked around, and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing – all the seats were new! I had seen the boxes and construction outside, but I thought that was all for minor cosmetic changes.

It looked like they reduced their capacity by about 10% to accommodate the new seats..Which makes sense to do since they’ve lost about 50% of their audience to other theaters..

I did go to one Hedda Lettuce event and it was fantastic. Unfortunately, it’s hard to get there on time after work…When I do remember to go, it’s a night they’re showing a film I’m not interested in..

I have many warm memories of this theater. It was one of the first real modern theaters to open..Going to the movies in New York used to be disgusting in the 70’s when I was a teenager..Long lines, crummy theaters..

Cineplex Odeon came and swept that all away, and all people did was complain because they raised the prices fifty cents or a dollar. I remember when movies went up a dollar in price Ed Koch wanted to lead a campaign to boycott them..I think that’s when they went from six to seven dollars!

LuisV
LuisV on March 19, 2006 at 3:23 am

I see that Chelsea Cinemas is “renovating” some of their screens! As per my comments posted earlier, they are long overdue. This complex hasn’t aged well. I’m curious what kind of improvements they will make. Does anyone know? I would like to go to this theater more often because it has a great location, only a block from my house, but Chelsea Cinemas doesn’t measure up to the 42nd and 34th St theaters so we usually go there. I have my fingers crossed! :–)

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 16, 2006 at 6:37 am

…that should be a “gentleman” (singular not plural).

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 16, 2006 at 6:36 am

I was chatting with a gentlemen on Tuesday night at the Ziegfeld Theater following the screening of “West Side Story” and he mentioned these Thursday night screenings to me, saying they were a lot of fun.

hardbop
hardbop on February 16, 2006 at 5:29 am

They have a Thursday night screening series called Chelsea Classics hosted by “Hedda Lettuce.” It is geared toward the Chelsea community, so lots of Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and camp.

I go to catch classics on the big screen. This week is FUNNY GIRL, which I caught at the Ziegfeld several years ago, and next week is FUNNY LADY, which I have never seen on the big screen.

I was there a few weeks ago and they announced the film is going to be completely renovated. The cinema won’t close, but it will be done on a floor-by-floor basis. There are three floors of cinema and it is probably overdue as the cinema where the Hedda Lettuce-hosteed screenings take place is missing chairs.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 5, 2005 at 7:01 pm

Re-posted comments from Crossbay Theater page:

I now live in Chelsea in Manhattan and about 15 years ago, Cineplex Odeon opened the Chelsea Cinemas multiplex which, at that time was the largest in Manhattan. Now part of the Clearview chain, it falls into the Ho Hum category as well and, in my opinion, should be torn down and replaced with a modern theater complex similar to Loew’s Lincoln Square, 42nd St and 34th St. showplaces. These theaters are comfortable, have stadium seating, great sound and in the case of Lincoln Square, a unique architectural element that recalls many of Loew’s movie palaces of the past.

Most of my friends only go to Chelsea Cinemas when it is too cold, or rainy to go to the other, much better theaters. We’d much rather walk up to 34th from 23rd at all other times.

posted by LuisV on Dec 5, 2005 at 10:25am

I don’t think Cablevision is going to tear down their profitable Chelsea to re-build. I wonder how many theaters Clearview has built from the ground up, as opposed to purchasing or converting. I do find that although Chelsea has no stadium seating, it is comfortable, with big screens, bright light and good sound, and a friendly staff.

posted by saps on Dec 5, 2005 at 9:57pm