McVickers Theater

25 W. Madison Street,
Chicago, IL 60602

paulench on December 28, 2004 at 4:10 pm

The McVickers I remember was showing Cinerama films in the sixties. I saw “How the West Was Won” there three times. My sister recalls seeing the 70mm, Todd-AO road show of “South Pacific” there in the late 1950s (I still have her program book from the show.)
I did see “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” at the McVickers when the theater had converted to 70mm, single projector Cinerama.

veyoung52 on November 28, 2004 at 12:39 am

A very versatile venue, being Chicago’s original Todd-AO house in 1955, then a moveover location of CineMiracle’s “Windjammer” from the Opera House; and then the 26 frame-per-second Cinerama in 1962. Only venue for the 3-strip “Russian Adventure” in the U.S., the 70mm version having a number of stateside runs. There is also a possiblity that horizontal VistaVision ran there. The McVickers was certainly not among the 10-12 original VV houses literally hand-picked by Paramount in 1954. But there are press releases beginning in mid-1956 that the distrib had plans to lease/rent VV projectors to “deluxers,” as “Variety” called them, that had booked “10 Commandments.” Along with the Chicago McVickers, that list would also include the New York Criterion, the LA Beverly, and the Philly Randolph. I vividly remember the Randolph run and the screen was gigantic compared to those I had seen there prior to the DeMille epic. Am I safe in assuming that if true VV ran in NY and LA (I can’t imagine Par not having it presented in at least those 2 prime premiere cities in VV), and Philly might have, then why not Chicago? Comments?

ratheater on September 8, 2004 at 2:39 pm

I worked at the Mcvickers theater in the late 60’s early 70’s as a usher.During that time they had stage shows as well as movies .I remember James Earl Jones in the Great White Hope and Sherman Hemsley in Purlie.

Broan on September 6, 2004 at 2:13 am

Also here.
The Library of Congress site has this mislabeled as a shot of the Auditorium Theatre, but it clearly is not and matches the above shot.

Broan on September 6, 2004 at 2:11 am

A 1903 view of the third McVicker’s can be seen here

dvdmike on June 13, 2004 at 1:41 am

I knew the end was near when my feet would stick to the carpet while I was walking down the aisle and when I would see and hear rats running through the place.

PhilH on June 12, 2004 at 10:42 pm

I went to the McVickers during the Kung-Fu days of the 70’s and I new then that a sad end to another part of history was near

paytonc on April 30, 2004 at 10:11 pm

An office tower is now under construction on the site.

dvdmike on March 17, 2004 at 7:36 pm

The first time I ever went to the McVickers was in 1962 when I was in 2nd grade to see “The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm.” In the early-mid ‘70s, it was reduced to a 3 for $1.00 kung-fu/blaxploitation movie house.

paytonc on January 13, 2004 at 2:37 am

The McVickers is mentioned in the final scene of the musical “Chicago”; it’s where Roxy and Velma’s act opens. The theatre was replaced with a parking lot — the only surface parking lot within the Loop.
– pc

BenCybulski on January 12, 2004 at 11:32 am

It was rumored that John Wilkes Booth had performed there.