St. George Theatre

25 Hyatt Street,
St. George, NY 10301

LuisV
LuisV on December 7, 2007 at 11:47 am

The Staten Island walking tour was pretty interesting. Unfortunately, too little time was spent at the St. George. I’m attending Joy Behar’s act at The St. George tomorrow night so I’m very excited to see this theater for the first time.

Vito
Vito on November 1, 2007 at 10:38 am

On December 15, 2007, the St. George Theatre will host the 78th Anniversary and Fourth Gala.
I received my invitation today, and I would encourage everyone to attend, and make your tax-deductable donation to help support this magnificent theatre.
The evening will include a Red Carpet Gala Reception in the Grand Lobby, presentation of the Georgie Awards and an evening with the Legendary Tony Bennett.
You can reserve your seats by visiting The St George Theatre
box-office, or calling 718 442 2900.
Tickets can also be purchased through Ticketmaster.
The Richmond Dance Ensemble headed by Mrs. Rosemary Cappozalo (known to Islanders as Mrs. Rosemary) and her daughters have magnificently restored the theatre. We must, all of us, do what ever we can to support this Staten Island Treasure.

LuisV
LuisV on October 22, 2007 at 7:37 pm

I just bought my tickets to see Joy Behar in December and I’m very excited to see this theater!! The pictures look absolutley beautiful.

AnitaK
AnitaK on September 13, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Especially for Fred DeRosa – May I email you at the address listed in your 7/30/07 post? My father owned the Dyker theatre in Brooklyn. I am delighted to introduce myself to you and thank you so very much for all the information about the architect, Eugene DeRosa and your family!! Please read my series of comments for The Dyker starting on the date 6/8/07 and combined with The Lafayette theatre, another DeRosa design)! [url=/theaters/3873/

derosa
derosa on September 4, 2007 at 8:54 pm

I have been meaning to report to this board on my visit to the St. George Theatre as reported in the Advance. Please forgive my silence. Our visit was one of the most memorable events of my life. I was there as Fred DeRosa, Eugene DeRosa’s nephew. I was joined by my sister Maria of Tucson, Arizona; my first cousin, Eugene DeRosa’s son Richard DeRosa of Cooperstown, New York; my second cousins, Eugene DeRosa’s grandchildren, Barbara and David DeRosa. Plus Barbara’s sons Joey and Jesse and David’s son Josh, all Eugene’s great-grandchildren. It was a thrill for us all. We were treated royally by Henry Decker, Mrs. Rosemary, Luane, and Doreen. The people from the Advance were also wonderful. My only regret is that I couldn’t learn anything about my father Felix DeRosa. As an architect who also worked on theatres, he joined his brother Eugene when Eugene left the Lamb firm. I can only assume that he had some in-put on the St. George. The theatre was a marvel and the whole experience was very rewarding. I hope to maintain a special place in my life for the St. George.

Vito
Vito on July 31, 2007 at 10:21 am

You will be thrilled to see what Mrs Rosemary and family have accomplished. Please report back after your tour with comments

derosa
derosa on July 30, 2007 at 10:45 pm

I am Eugene DeRosaâ€\s nephew. Late in my life, I have begun to explore some of my family heritage. After the death of my father, Eugeneâ€\s brother, in 1955 when I was seven years old, I had only limited contact with my fatherâ€\s side of the family. Iâ€\m now discovering my Uncle Eugeneâ€\s architectural legacy, including the St. George Theatre.

His heritage, I believe, is also part of my fatherâ€\s. Felix DeRosa was born in 1898, making him nine years or so younger than Eugene. He attended Cooper Union from 1914-18 and worked as a junior draughtsman. Returning to Cooper Union, he graduated as a draughtsman in 1921. He worked with his brother through the 1920s. I would be very surprised if my father did not work on the St. George. Unfortunately, he does not seem to be credited on anything. If any of you have any information that you could share on Felix DeRosa, I would be extremely grateful.

I had always been lead to believe by my mother and my father’s brother and sister, who remained alive during my childhood, that he was an “architect.” Iâ€\m not sure if there was a difference in terminology at the time, or if he was never actually an architect. If anyone can clear this up for me, it would be of extreme interest to my sister and me.

There were three other brothers and a sister. One of the brothers was my uncle Jerry DeRosa. He managed Loews State Theatres, but thatâ€\s all I know about him. He was born in 1891 (?) and died in 1945. Again, if anyone has any information on him, I would be very appreciative.

On August 7 (next week!) I will be in New York and have been invited to see the St. George Theatre. I will be there with my (twin) sister and my second cousin, David DeRosa, who is Eugeneâ€\s grandson. Weâ€\re all thrilled at the prospect of seeing the theatre. All of your comments on this wonderful building are making me even more excited.

Fred DeRosa

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on July 27, 2006 at 10:30 pm

WNEW-FM (“Mix 102.7”) and its popular on-air personality, “Brooklyn’s own Joe Causi”, will be hosting “Disco Divas” starring Maxine Nightingale & France Joli on Saturday night July 29th â€" this is sure to be a big show, as this radio station enjoys a large and loyal following of listeners (myself included)!

The St. George seems to have been quite successful at booking a continuous and comprehensive line-up of events, straight through the end of this year – many big names, particularly jazz trumpeter Chris Botti, who recently appeared on his own PBS-TV special, performing with such notables as Sting, Gladys Knight and Burt Bacharach (he has also performed nationally at major concert halls, including Long Island’s Tilles Center).

Impressive indeed, especially for a Staten Island venue!

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on July 27, 2006 at 6:40 pm

Thank you for the conformation it is a real wonderfull theatre i am glad that it is being used for som kind of art insted of being riped down and made in to a parking lot. :) Thaank you for you time.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 26, 2006 at 5:53 pm

According to imdb.com, this is indeed the place, CHI74.

Here’s the imdb “filming locations” page for “School of Rock”.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on July 26, 2006 at 4:43 pm

Can any one tell me if this was the theatre that was used for the “Battle of the bands” part of the School of Rock the Jack Black movie just wondering thank you for your time :)

frankie
frankie on June 5, 2006 at 8:58 am

They don’t seem to be thinking in terms of classic films, but in February I went with a friend to see a full stage production of “Mame”, and not only was it excellent, but to actually see a musical in a classic old theater on Staten Island was a heady experience ! The friend I went with played “Mame” herself in Bay Ridge last month. That’s about as close as we get in Brooklyn to such an experience ! No more subway circuit; no more Loew’s Kings ! I had to traipse up to the Bronx to see Debbie Reynolds
yesterday ! PS – Still the complete entertainer !

Theaterat
Theaterat on June 5, 2006 at 8:19 am

Got to see the inside of the ST George about 3 years ago when they were getting ready for a recital- or something. A very impressive theater. I did not notice any theater type seats there.Have they been installed yet? and also, are there any plans to screen big screen epics or other fare here? Just curious.

Garth
Garth on June 4, 2006 at 6:59 am

i just came from the 10am screenings of the film festival. the experience of seeing a movie again ,in 35mm on a 40 foot screen , at the st.george theatre was awesome. it was hard to concentrate on the features, i was too busy looking around at the magnificently restored theatre. in my youth they almost always had the balcony closed or only the forward lower level would be open. now sitting in the top row , the height was enough that one could almost feel a bit dizzy. i’m almost tempted to go back for the 2pm screenings. the festival is showing “narrative features” and short films , so i can’t really recommend the fare. but to anyone who is a fan of old theatres or who went here in the old days it is well worth it. if they ever do movie nights showing classics like “the big sleep” or “the godfather” i will definetly be there.

RobertR
RobertR on May 24, 2006 at 4:57 pm

Not a high point in the bookings for the St. George :)

RobLeddy
RobLeddy on May 24, 2006 at 10:45 am

This is a traditional film festival just like Sundance, Tribeca etc. A union projectionist will be on staff. The opening night film is The Celestine Prophecy in 35mm and tickets are only $5. It is close to being a sell out. Info at http://www.sifilmfestival.org/

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on May 12, 2006 at 3:43 am

Rob is this a contemporary film festival or will there be classic films as well?

Vito
Vito on May 12, 2006 at 1:46 am

Thank you Rob, my only concern was that the 35mm projection equipment I installed in the original booth was going to be used.
By NYC law, This would require using the services of a licenced motion picture operator. Since 35mm film will be used I will pass this information on.

RobLeddy
RobLeddy on May 11, 2006 at 12:15 pm

Yes there will be a complete 35mm Film Projection set up, from screen to projector to audio. It’s a rental from a company named CRT Film & Video. They are working n conjuction with a local Staten Island company Pro Sho. The majority of the films screening at the theater will be 35mm from my understanding. Films were scheduled particularly at the St. George because they had 35mm prints available. Those that do not have 35mm prints will screen in a video format. The opening night film will be announced this Monday and it is absolutely a 35mm print.

Vito
Vito on May 8, 2006 at 10:50 am

Rob, When I stated there was no such thing as a 35mm screen I was of course speaking of the differences between a screen used to project film or slides and a screen designed for DVD or rear projection video etc. My question should have been, are you suppling a screen for film projection? Of the 20 or so movies being shown are anyone them planned in 35mm.

Vito
Vito on May 8, 2006 at 9:14 am

Rob, there is really no show thing as a 35mm screen.
Projection screens come in many sizes for use with DVD,video,slide or film. Are you suggesting that some of the movies will be presented on 35mm film? If so will the equipment I installed in the original booth be used.

RobLeddy
RobLeddy on May 8, 2006 at 7:58 am

I am a consultant for The Staten Island Film Festival and the fest is renting 35mm to screen at the St. George Theatre. There may be a few films screened from video, only if they do not have a 35mm print.

Vito
Vito on April 15, 2006 at 3:29 am

Robert, it would be terrific if Mrs Rosemary held a 35mm classic film festival similar to the one presented this year at the Ziegfeld in New York. In January of 2004 I had the projection booth up and running again, I can only hope it remains that way now.

RobertR
RobertR on April 14, 2006 at 9:25 am

That’s a shame, I thought they would be running film.

ThePhotoplayer
ThePhotoplayer on April 14, 2006 at 7:20 am

Was the theater the only secion that was designed by DeRosa, or did he design the entire building?