Trylon Theater

98-81 Queens Boulevard,
Rego Park, NY 11374

br91975
br91975 on October 4, 2007 at 8:24 am

All I could think from my Upper Reserved box seat at Shea Stadium last Sunday, while the Mets completed the implosion of their season, was how ironically appropriate it was that Melinda Katz, of all people, was chosen to sing ‘God Bless America’ during the 7th Inning Stretch…

PKoch
PKoch on August 21, 2007 at 11:27 am

Thanks, EdSolero and SchineHistorian !

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on August 21, 2007 at 10:06 am

The next issue of Theatre Historical Society’s quarterly journal MARQUEE will have a piece on the Trylon, written by Trylon advocate Michael Perlman. Copies can be ordered by non members at www.historictheatres.org or better yet JOIN and get them delivered automatically to your mailbox!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 21, 2007 at 9:46 am

Just to follow up on Warren’s July 12th response to Queens Logic’s comments, the interior of the Trylon remained pretty much as it was on opening day – normal wear-and-tear notwithstanding – right up until the day it closed.

PKoch
PKoch on August 17, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for posting this, Warren. I enjoyed looking at it.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 17, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Four color photos, some possibly not displayed here before, can be seen midway through this new article: www.forgotten-ny.com/SLICES/trylon/trylon.html

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 12, 2007 at 6:25 am

The Trylon’s interior was not art deco. I would call it streamlined modernistic, in keeping with architecture at the 1939 New York World’s Fair, which inspired the design and the theatre’s name.

almcgrath
almcgrath on July 12, 2007 at 12:22 am

I remember going to the movies with my friends at the Trylon in the early 1980’s when I was in high school. What’s the latest on the preservation efforts? Was the interior of the Trylon still art deco-ish by the 1980’s or was it modernized by then? I don’t remember it being art deco at all, is why I ask. If it was modernized, is it just a matter of removing drop ceilings and revealing original ceiling, and removing old paint to reveal original paint, or was it completely destroyed inside when renovated, and nothing left intact?

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 4, 2007 at 8:55 am

Can the Trylon still be restored?

PKoch
PKoch on May 30, 2007 at 6:45 am

VA (82) was Van Dyke. Ridgewood Savings Bank’s phone # used to be VA1-4600.

PKoch
PKoch on May 22, 2007 at 9:21 am

Thanks for posting the link to the ad for the Trylon, Warren.

Ed Solero, I remember the old phone exchanges very well, including HA for Elmhurst (prep school classmate of mine). Thanks for mentioning what it stood for.

Also AP for APplegate (Cypress Hills, Bklyn), GL for GLenmore (my old home Ridgewood exchange) HY for HYacinth, EV for Evergreen, and VI for VIctoria (Richmond Hill, VA for Virginia ?

I’ve also seen HA for a home in Bayside.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 22, 2007 at 7:47 am

I love seeing the old telephone exchange names in these ads. The “HA” in the Trylon’s phone number stood for HAvemeyer – which, interestingly enough, was the same appelation used in the exchange for my childhood home in Elmhurst. The Trylon was HAvemeyer 3, however, and we were HAvemeyer 6.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 25, 2007 at 6:52 am

Here’s a nifty 1940 ad that shows the Trylon’s debt to the New York World’s Fair, which was then in its second and final season. The ad also reveals that the Trylon was the only theatre in Forest Hills with air conditioning, which is probably true (the Midway did not yet exist). But the Drake in nearby Rego Park did have air conditioning: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/try40.jpg

RobertR
RobertR on September 19, 2006 at 1:13 pm

Joseph E Levine was the pioneer of mass bookings, it was almost never that the Trylon, Forest Hills and Drake would day and date.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on September 10, 2006 at 11:57 am

HEADS UP FANS OF THE TRYLON! Theatre Historical Society’s 3rd quarter issue of Marquee will feature a story and photos on the Trylon Theater written by Michael Perlman. This issue should be mailed to the members by the end of November, early December. Non members can reserve a copy now by contacting THS at www.historictheatres.org or better yet, JOIN! and get your own subscription to Marquee!

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on August 26, 2006 at 8:32 am

Thank you very much for your feedback & helpful advice above. I posted the following questions on the homepage, but received no replies. I am in the midst of writing a feature story that is due in the end of this month, & I would appreciate your assistance tremendously. Some questions are as follows. Please e-mail Michael, Comm. To Save The Trylon founder/chair at

1. Full name (or anonymous), title/affiliation (if applicable), & residence (s)
  2. What are two (of your most memorable) experiences at the Trylon Theater?
  3. How did viewing films at an Art Deco historical building make you feel, or how did it enhance your movie-going experience?
  4. What did the Trylon mean to you, and how was it an asset to the community?
  5. What films do you recall being a major sell-out?
  6. Any additional contributions to this interview would be highly appreciated. If you can recommend someone else who may be of help, that would also be great.
uncleal923
uncleal923 on August 21, 2006 at 11:10 am

Well, at least you guys aren’t giving up. I have to admit I never saw a film at the Trylon. I am just a theater major interested in restoration, and maybe even conversion into performance space. These old theaters are a nice space for that.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 21, 2006 at 7:26 am

Thanks, Warren. As per that Saturday Night Fever ad, it was still with Interboro as late as ‘78. When did that company fold? I know they operated a number of small nabes – including my old childhood haunt the Laurelton Theater.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 21, 2006 at 7:15 am

The Trylon was built and long operated by the Interboro Circuit, whose owners eventually retired and sold out to Loews/Sony, which ran the Trylon until its closure. The Elmwood in nearby Elmhurst was another of those Interboro theatres taken over by Loews/Sony, but Interboro had only operated the Elmwood since 1946. Prior to 1946, the Elmwood was known as the Queensboro, and had been a loser under numerous managements since opening in 1928.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 21, 2006 at 6:33 am

I remember this under the Loew’s banner for along time and I know it was once part of the Interboro chain as well. Was this originally an independent? And if so, how long did it operate that way and what were some of the other chains that ran it?

Meanwhile… Native, here’s an assortment of clippings from my collection of old newspapers featuring ads for attractions at the Trylon:

Saturday Night Fever – Daily News 1/25/78
Ordinary People 12th Smash Week! – Daily News 12/12/80
Absence of Malice – Daily News 3/6/82
Compromising Positions – Daily News 9/12/85
Compromising Positions (still there) – Daily News 9/23/85
Compromising Positions (going strong) – Newsday 10/5/85
Out of Africa – NY Post 1/29/86
Children of a Lesser God – Daily News 10/16/86
Children of a Lesser God (still going)– NY Times 10/27/86
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – NY Post 7/4/86

A lot of the films advertised above appear to be late in their runs and possible moveovers – you can check release dates for each title on imdb.com to try and ascertain if any of these were initial release bookings.

I have a number of local papers (including the Long Island Press and Long Island Star Journal) from September and November of 1963 and May 1964 that include the old fashioned block ads for the big chains (Loew’s, RKO, Century’s, Skouras) as well as individual ads for many independent nabes like the Cinemart, Hobart, Earle, Fair, Polk, etc. Curiously, the Trylon is not listed in any of those, for some reason.

I have a few more papers from the ‘80’s and early '90’s to digitize… when I find more Trylon listings I’ll be sure to post them here.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 21, 2006 at 5:04 am

In the 1950s, the Trylon entered an “art” phase, which I think lasted into the era of “Premiere Showcase,” when it went mainstream again and began competing for the latest Hollywood releases.

DavidHurlbutt
DavidHurlbutt on August 21, 2006 at 5:03 am

In the 1960s The Trylon did show some first run films. “Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte” openened there which I saw at the Trylon with a sneak preview of “Quick Before It Melts.” I do recall one Sunday seeing lines outside the Trylon waiting to get in the theater to see a double feature: THE MUSIC MAN and GYPSY.

Bway
Bway on August 21, 2006 at 4:45 am

In my opinion, at least in later years, the Trylon usually played “different”, or weird movies. Perhaps artsy?
Perhaps they were trying to form a niche.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 21, 2006 at 3:17 am

During its first 20 years at least, the Trylon was a late-run “nabe” with double features, so it probably showed every Hollywood “A” movie produced, and many of the “B"s. If you just made a list of the "Best Picture” Oscar nominees of those years, I think it would be safe to say that they all played at the Trylon.