Strand Theater

527 Duval Street,
Key West, FL 33040

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on January 30, 2005 at 1:10 pm

exactly. i went to the site and typed in the address, figuring i would see something on that page that said it was in an old theater or some homage. but nothing.

Patsy
Patsy on January 29, 2005 at 11:30 am

Why is the related website for this cinema page..Walgreens?

dmerritt
dmerritt on December 15, 2004 at 5:47 pm

I grew up in Key West and one of my best friends when I was young was Coni Carbonell whose father owned the Strand. I remember many afternoons of fun going to the Strand and hanging out in the theatre. When the movie “Ben-Hur” came to Key West it played at the Strand and the nuns from our school – Convent of Mary Immaculate – took us all to see the movie. It was a glamorous theatre to be sure. Donna

erb764
erb764 on July 19, 2004 at 12:06 pm

I echo the sentiments of riprod! I recently re-visited Key West. I was stationed in the Navy there in the late 50’s and fell in love with the place. Now, it has become disgustingly commercial. I guess it is a case of—Paradise Found/Paradise Lost!

Bolton

riprod
riprod on December 29, 2003 at 11:11 am

I reciently got back from what is definity my last trip ever to Key West! I am disgusted that such a land mark will be yet another Walgreens and on the other end of the street is a Eckerd’s… Basically Key West is now a string of T-Shirt shops seperated by Drug Stores and tacky theme park style attractions.

William
William on November 25, 2003 at 2:28 pm

The Strand Theatre seated 888 people.

RichardFowler
RichardFowler on February 3, 2003 at 9:44 am

I worked in this cinema as a projectionist in the late 1960’s. It was a delux cinema owned by the Carbonell family which also owned the Monroe Cinema two blocks further South. I remember showing “Midnight Cowboy” at this cinema. The writer of the movie was a Key West local who put a local “joke” in the movie…when John Voight who ask do you know so and so it was a name of a corrupt local politician…which brought roars of laughter in the audience. what killed this cinema was the advancing age of the family and a local multiplex with plenty of parking.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on April 11, 2002 at 3:20 am

This is the theater used in the John Goodman film “Matinee”.