Patio Theatre

6008 West Irving Park Road,
Chicago, IL 60634

Patiomike
Patiomike on February 6, 2011 at 11:58 am

The plan is to show first run movies. Owners are currently negotiating with the studios and assessing the status of the projection and sound systems.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 6, 2011 at 1:45 am

Great photos jwballer. The marquee needs freshning up. Looking forward to attending this theater. Will they be showing first-run, 2nd-run or classic cinema?

0123456789
0123456789 on February 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm

i also have more great news its going to open in March 2011!

Senorsock
Senorsock on October 1, 2010 at 1:48 am

Great news! The Patio is on the “MUST SEE” list when I get back in town!

Patiomike
Patiomike on September 30, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Alex, Demitri and the crew have made tremendous progress. I stopped in about a month ago and was amazed. The theater looks better than it did when I was in the booth. They plan to open after Christmas. Watch the web site and Facebook for more.

musicformovies
musicformovies on September 30, 2010 at 7:52 pm

As a person who grew up in Lombard, and after losing our historic 1928 atmospheric theatre – built by the same architect as yours – I can only wish you the best during your renovation and may the Patio – the spiritual sister to the DuPage Theatre – have many, many more glorious years ahead of her, and bring much fun and joy to all who visit her.

JStitches
JStitches on June 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm

We just moved into the neighborhood and we were hoping this would happen! We had no idea it would be this fast! We must be good luck. Well I’m a teacher and have the summer off, so I’d be happy to help with the renovations…

WHALER66
WHALER66 on June 20, 2010 at 4:00 am

Good luck with the renovations, it’ll be good to see one of those
old movie houses rise again.

patiotheater
patiotheater on June 17, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Everyone is welcomed to check out the Patio’s new site at www.patiotheater.net

We are hard at work at starting the renovation process but it is only myself and 2 other people right now who are helping fix the place up. If any of you know any foundations either nationally, state or local that can help with the renovation process by either funding the money needed or with an actual workforce it would greatly be appreciated.

If you have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to email

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on June 17, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Good luck with the Patio Theatre. It would be wonderful to see this theatre open again for both film and stage.brucec

VictoriaW
VictoriaW on June 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm

A grand idea would be to rent out the St. Pascal School/Church parking lot. Either the parking lot in the back of the school, or the parking lot shared with the Quality car repair shop across the street from the school. They’re just down the block, and it would give The Patio alot of parking, well needed for the grand re-opening!

patiotheater
patiotheater on June 6, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Demetri Kouvalis, the son of Alexander Kouvalis, owner of the Patio Theater. I cannot believe the love and support from reading all of your comments on this site. Well I have some good news for all of you. I plan on reopening the Theater and continuing its legacy for generations to come. However, I will need the help of the loving community in order for this to happen. The Patio needs to be renovated. I have started painting the marquee with my father a few days ago, and once that is complete we will be moving inside. I would love to set up a way for the community to get involved to see the Patio open in the near future.

if you are interested in helping out with the reopening of the Patio Theater please email me at

Let this majestic building bring back the wonderful memories and instill new memories to the community as well!

P.S. I am working on an official Patio Theater website, and you can follow the progress of the renovation on twitter if you visit https://twitter.com/PatioTheater

The largest issue the that the Patio faces is a broken A/C. If anyone knows anyone who can repair vintage water-cooled chillers about 50 years old, that would be an immense help!!

Patiomike
Patiomike on May 22, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I just spoke to Alex the other day. He’s usually at the theater every day working on the theater. He’s also often speaking with people interested in renting an apartment or storefront. He’s still determined to open the Patio.

frankf75
frankf75 on May 22, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I live in the neighborhood, have a passion for film, and would really like to speak with the owner about reopening the Patio. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Alex? Thanks.

darkstarv
darkstarv on April 24, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Hey Patio Mike, can you put me in touch with Alex. I’m getting married in Sept. and would love to have the ceremony there.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on March 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Normal, Ill. is a small town. Chicago is a big city with big taxes. The Patio has been closed for NINE years now. Nobody’s offering to re-open it. If I had money to burn, I would re-open it as a multi-purpose venue. I just don’t see it happening. Tim O'Neill

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on March 4, 2010 at 2:35 am

The Patio Theatre will never re-open as a full-time movie theatre ever again. Maybe it’ll re-open as a multi-purpose venue, but as a movie house, forget it. It’s been closed for NINE years now, and Alex is almost 71 years old. He’s not going to operate it again. I love the Patio; I used to moonlight there as a projectionist, but it’s never going to be a full-time movie theatre again.

Patiomike
Patiomike on March 4, 2010 at 1:58 am

The organ currently in use at the Portage was built in 1927 and was previously installed at the Copernicus Center (Gateway). I think it began life in yet another theater. It was moved to the Portage and installed in December of 2008. Previous to that, a digital theater organ sat in the orchestra pit. It was installed in time for the reopening in 2006. I recall being told the Portage never had an organ although there is ample room for pipes and related equipment. Jay Warren, the savior of the Portage and one of the nicest people I know, would be happy to relate the story in accurate detail. Check portagetheater.org as there are lots of interesting events coming up.

gmcalpin
gmcalpin on March 4, 2010 at 1:38 am

Patiomike: Doesn’t the Portage Park Theater have its original organ? Although I don’t believe it’s operational, if you meant that, as well.

Patiomike
Patiomike on March 4, 2010 at 1:14 am

I don’t know that the place was ever in perfect condition. Before its opening in 1987, mountains of litter were removed from the auditorium and other areas. Carpets were replaced, seats fixed, new paint applied, light bulbs changed, projectors serviced and a then state-of-the-art Dolby stereo sound system was installed. He even bought a new popcorn popper. Further repairs were made after opening including extensive work on the heating plant. One of the last jobs done before the 2001 closing was the removal a 10HP motor from the ventilation system, sending it out for rewiring, and reinstalling it. After 20+ years, the place could use some freshening up. The projectors need to be gently coaxed back to operation. New carpeting, paint, etc…. just like fixing up grandma’s place – if it sat 1,500.

Patiomike
Patiomike on March 1, 2010 at 12:29 pm

The organ, a Barton, is still in place in the theater. Catoe.org has further details. I believe the Patio is now the only theater in Chicago that still has its original organ and not a transplant. As part of this long hoped for reopening, the owner is looking to get the instrument back to working order. It was well maintained in the 80s-90s but has not been touched since the theater’s closing.

gompka
gompka on February 4, 2010 at 12:03 am

Would love to see a movie at the Patio again, or even take a walk through it to bring back some memories. I’m trying to remember where the a/c was, was it in the sub basement that you entered from behind the stage area, to the left of the stage if you were coming down the side aisle? I remember seeing a device with a large wheel and a drive belt. Seems that something as old as wwII a/c should be fixable unless a major part went out and is not possible to replace. If Alex gives you a call again Mike tell him that Anna, Bogdan, David and Adam say hello, and if he is wondering we still have the same phone number as always.

Patiomike
Patiomike on February 3, 2010 at 11:32 pm

That report is six years old. Alex has no intention of selling the building or converting the theater to a store or some other reuse. Many offers have been made over the years by developers who wanted to clear that corner. A recording studio once occupied a second floor office so anything’s possible regarding expansion. He’s set a realistic limit on what he intends to spend to get the main room open and is open to non-traditional events. The Copernicus Center caters largely to a Polish-speaking audience. He doesn’t want to “out Portage the Portage” either. Leaving the theater dark does not help the other tenants, the building or the neighborhood as a whole. “I want to contribute to the community” were his words. How many developers even know what that means? At his age, he could easily do nothing. I applaud his willingness to take some risks.

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on February 3, 2010 at 7:59 pm

On the Chicagoland Watch List. http://www.landmarks.org/chicago_watch_2004_6.htm

Along with the Uptown, New Regal, Gateway, and Central Park.

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on February 2, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Even a multi-use format will be up against serious competition for venues. The Copernicus Center/Gateway is just a short distance away and has a large stage and auditorium and off-street parking next door. The Portage is also in the local area, and has more off-street parking in the neighborhood compared to the Patio. Maybe a multi-screen setup would be helpful, utilizing space in adjacent buildings to create additional auditoriums, such as was done at the Pickwick in Park Ridge and the Lake in Oak Park. This way, the main auditorium with its beautiful ceiling and details could be spared.

Sure you be nice to see the Patio reopened, in any incarnation.