Patio Theatre

6008 West Irving Park Road,
Chicago, IL 60634

jwballer on November 5, 2010 at 7:04 pm

GREAT NEWS! In the picture below of the auditorium, you can see the organ if you look to the right.!/photo.php?fbid=171436819549471&set=a.171436626216157.46550.129959440363876&pid=555910&id=129959440363876

Senorsock on October 1, 2010 at 12:48 am

Great news! The Patio is on the “MUST SEE” list when I get back in town!

Patiomike on September 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Alex, Demitri and the crew have made tremendous progress. I stopped in about a month ago and was amazed. The theater looks better than it did when I was in the booth. They plan to open after Christmas. Watch the web site and Facebook for more.

musicformovies on September 30, 2010 at 6:52 pm

As a person who grew up in Lombard, and after losing our historic 1928 atmospheric theatre – built by the same architect as yours – I can only wish you the best during your renovation and may the Patio – the spiritual sister to the DuPage Theatre – have many, many more glorious years ahead of her, and bring much fun and joy to all who visit her.

jwballer on August 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Status should be closed/renovating
website is

JStitches on June 29, 2010 at 9:23 pm

We just moved into the neighborhood and we were hoping this would happen! We had no idea it would be this fast! We must be good luck. Well I’m a teacher and have the summer off, so I’d be happy to help with the renovations…

WHALER66 on June 20, 2010 at 3:00 am

Good luck with the renovations, it’ll be good to see one of those
old movie houses rise again.

patiotheater on June 17, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Everyone is welcomed to check out the Patio’s new site at

We are hard at work at starting the renovation process but it is only myself and 2 other people right now who are helping fix the place up. If any of you know any foundations either nationally, state or local that can help with the renovation process by either funding the money needed or with an actual workforce it would greatly be appreciated.

If you have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to email

bruceanthony on June 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Good luck with the Patio Theatre. It would be wonderful to see this theatre open again for both film and stage.brucec

VictoriaW on June 15, 2010 at 4:45 pm

A grand idea would be to rent out the St. Pascal School/Church parking lot. Either the parking lot in the back of the school, or the parking lot shared with the Quality car repair shop across the street from the school. They’re just down the block, and it would give The Patio alot of parking, well needed for the grand re-opening!

patiotheater on June 6, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Demetri Kouvalis, the son of Alexander Kouvalis, owner of the Patio Theater. I cannot believe the love and support from reading all of your comments on this site. Well I have some good news for all of you. I plan on reopening the Theater and continuing its legacy for generations to come. However, I will need the help of the loving community in order for this to happen. The Patio needs to be renovated. I have started painting the marquee with my father a few days ago, and once that is complete we will be moving inside. I would love to set up a way for the community to get involved to see the Patio open in the near future.

if you are interested in helping out with the reopening of the Patio Theater please email me at

Let this majestic building bring back the wonderful memories and instill new memories to the community as well!

P.S. I am working on an official Patio Theater website, and you can follow the progress of the renovation on twitter if you visit

The largest issue the that the Patio faces is a broken A/C. If anyone knows anyone who can repair vintage water-cooled chillers about 50 years old, that would be an immense help!!

jwballer on May 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Well it wont take that much to re-open. Just a new A/C and renovation of the marquee
It can be used for many things. Concerts, classic movies, silent movies, performing arts, special events.

Patiomike on May 22, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I just spoke to Alex the other day. He’s usually at the theater every day working on the theater. He’s also often speaking with people interested in renting an apartment or storefront. He’s still determined to open the Patio.

frankf75 on May 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I live in the neighborhood, have a passion for film, and would really like to speak with the owner about reopening the Patio. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Alex? Thanks.

darkstarv on April 24, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Hey Patio Mike, can you put me in touch with Alex. I’m getting married in Sept. and would love to have the ceremony there.

jwballer on April 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Never mind just of the auditorium. Found one of the organ.

jwballer on March 30, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Does anyone have a photo of the 3/17 Barton organ or an auditorium view showing the night sky of the patio?

jwballer on March 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Your right it could re-open as a multipurpose venue but it would have a lot of competition.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on March 25, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Normal, Ill. is a small town. Chicago is a big city with big taxes. The Patio has been closed for NINE years now. Nobody’s offering to re-open it. If I had money to burn, I would re-open it as a multi-purpose venue. I just don’t see it happening. Tim O'Neill

jwballer on March 25, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Timoneill,you never know. The normal theatre in Normal il is a full time theatre showing classic movies. Its doing good.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on March 4, 2010 at 1:35 am

The Patio Theatre will never re-open as a full-time movie theatre ever again. Maybe it’ll re-open as a multi-purpose venue, but as a movie house, forget it. It’s been closed for NINE years now, and Alex is almost 71 years old. He’s not going to operate it again. I love the Patio; I used to moonlight there as a projectionist, but it’s never going to be a full-time movie theatre again.

Patiomike on March 4, 2010 at 12:58 am

The organ currently in use at the Portage was built in 1927 and was previously installed at the Copernicus Center (Gateway). I think it began life in yet another theater. It was moved to the Portage and installed in December of 2008. Previous to that, a digital theater organ sat in the orchestra pit. It was installed in time for the reopening in 2006. I recall being told the Portage never had an organ although there is ample room for pipes and related equipment. Jay Warren, the savior of the Portage and one of the nicest people I know, would be happy to relate the story in accurate detail. Check as there are lots of interesting events coming up.

gmcalpin on March 4, 2010 at 12:38 am

Patiomike: Doesn’t the Portage Park Theater have its original organ? Although I don’t believe it’s operational, if you meant that, as well.