Fox Theatre

6508 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

chelleck
chelleck on September 10, 2007 at 9:30 am

Roloff, you do have great photos. Thank you very much. I hate to see the old “Fox” structure go down.

Pine
Pine on September 9, 2007 at 6:48 am

Roloff, thanks for your great photos. I would also like to find a photo of Hollywood Blvd 1969-72 of Hollywood College of beauty on Hollywood Blvd.No longer there. It was next door to Love’s pit barbecue restaurant.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 8, 2007 at 3:51 pm

An Estey theater organ opus 1925 size 2/10 was installed in the Iris Theater in 1921. Note: Moved from Queen Theater Long Beach, California.

Roloff
Roloff on August 1, 2007 at 3:08 pm

for a postcard of the Iris and Warner, and a better look at my picture that’s featured at the top of this page here:

vcarville
vcarville on July 6, 2007 at 12:47 am

It wasn’t anything special, mom dropped me off here to watch The Little Mermaid, I think she left me because she said the movie was making her sick, also saw Troop Beverly Hills here…nothing to write home about, really a dump in the late 80s. Nothing lost if it’s torn down, it was a cracker box even at the time…

William
William on June 25, 2007 at 7:48 am

Mann Theatres was the last theatre chain to run the theatre. United Artists Theatres operated the Egyptian Theatre and those awful twins in the rear area of the property. Mann was the last lease holder to the theatre and they were the one that closed it and decided not to run it as a theatre.

Pine
Pine on June 25, 2007 at 6:45 am

Wow Slim was there in mid 80’s. Sad to hear he fell ill. There was a another doorman, but I cannot recall his name. He was young – late teens. He told Julie and I, that he was living with his probation officer or someone from the court as he was living with his grandmother, got into trouble and placed in the care of a sicko guy who he said made him have sex with prostitutes. A guy who took advantage of his power. Julie tried to help him get out of his situation. I do not know whatever happened to him as I left to go to beauty school. Evidently this sicko told the grandmother that he would take care of him so he wouldn’t have to be in detention, then he abuses him. Horrible. He also told him that if he ran away he’d be put in jail. Thanks for you information.

chelleck
chelleck on June 24, 2007 at 11:13 am

My Little History at the Fox Theater

EMPLOYED

I worked the Fox Theater on second shift at 6508 Hollywood Blvd. from the summer of 1986, at the opening of ‘The Golden Child’ through Spring of 1987. The first half of my employ, it was known as the “Mann’s Fox Theater” and was later bought out by United Artist. At the end of my time, there were two rumors concerning this building:

1. That there were plans of another buy out by Goldwyn-Meyer (that turn over had not occurred by the time I left.)
  2. The building repairs were too expense and it would probably be torn down.

DESCRIPTION

Pine’s November 1, 2006 at 2:46 am post;

I can describe the inside of this theater having worked there. The girl’s dressing room was a large walk in closet – no windows. It was at the top of the stairs on the west side.Our uniforms were kept there. The men’s and women’s bathrooms were upstairs on the north side. The projection room and manager’s office were on the south side. They also had no windows. The theater was small and cozy. Downsairs behind the cashier was the storage room filed with candy, popcorn etc. The doorman’s dresing room I never saw, but I think it was behind the stage? The theater was very comfortable, not too small, not too big and very clean. From the candy counter we had a good view of the street and I enjoyed people watching.
posted by Pine </users/16188> on Nov 1, 2006 at 2:46am

is an accurate description of what I recall. The only things I can add are:

The steel door on the inside of the ticket booth showed a deep indention from a bullet, put there during a robbery. I hard the booth attendant was hurt pretty badly, then tried to return to work and fear of a reoccurrence eventually cause her to quit. The combination locked safe was in the floor of the ticket booth.

Upstairs at first glance appeared to be a semi-circled hallway that stretched across the entire upper level with stairs at both ends. The bathroom and manager’s doors that Pine mentioned were on the outside wall and the projection booth on the inside wall. And “when it rained, it poured!” during the rainy season it leaked throughout the building.

Scanning the pictures on this site, the front of the building has had many face-lifts. When I was there the rear of it, in the little alley, did not look like the same building. It looked as if it was supposed to be white when it was constructed. Although it did not have graffiti, it had varying layers of rust and discolorations. I, like many of you, loved the marquee.

THE CREW

The manager was James Foreman, who I heard was transferred to a theater in Beverly Hills.

The assistant manager was Duane, (no after theater information on him.)

Our doorman was the faithful, Slim. When I got there it was jokingly said ‘Slim has been with the theater since it opened. Pine’s September 11, 2006 4:50 – 4:56 am posts,

I worked at this theater during the summer of 1969 and a few other times after that. I was 18 and 19 years old and made $1.65 an hour. Mr. Duff was the manager. He was an alcoholic and sometimes on the make with the girls. I worked as a loan out at other theaters and other managers were like that too. It was a bad scene, overall. My best friend from high school helped me get the job. She and another friend bought drugs from a red haired guy who would come by everyday carrying a paper sack. I ended my friednship with her and went to beauty school down the street. Sometimes I’d worked nights at Fox and go to school during the day. I took the city bus home at midnight. I lived on Van Ness below Franklin Avenue. It was scary.

Continued from my previous post. Cher and a friend came in one day for a matinee and ordered cokes and popcorn with extra butter. They were very nice. An older man named Slim worked as one of the doormen. Everyday he would order a Dr. Pepper with a candy bar. I felt sorry for him. I remember when when the film Easy Rider premiered there and the lines were around the block.
posted by Pine </users/16188> on Sep 11, 2006 at 4:57am

confirmed his long time dedication. A couple of months before I left, Slim fell ill and did not return to work.
(no after theater information on him.)

One of our ushers; Larry, doubled as doorman.
(no after theater information on him.)

Our other usher, Honor, doubled as ticket taker when Larry was not in.
(no after theater information on her.)

The two cousins (Maria and Elizabeth) I heard took more hours in the retail jobs.

I have no information on who ran the projection booth during my stay.

FAMOUS PEOPLE

The famous people that graced our audience was:

THE LA RAIDERS

RAE DAWN CHONG – came in with one of her friend’s toddler daughter.

ART EVANS – came in a few times.

PATRONAGE

The was not a steady flow of patriots, at times the show began as scheduled with one to a few viewers present.

decoteau
decoteau on June 17, 2007 at 7:17 pm

I loved this theatre back in the VERY early 80s. I lived on Santa Monica Blvd. and Wilcox so the walk was quick up to Hollywood Blvd. Saw FRIDAY THE 13TH Part 3 in 3D there. What a hoot. The World was the best theatre on the Blvd. though.

William
William on May 21, 2007 at 4:18 am

Well manwithnoname posted that info above on Feb. 23 2007 at 12:40pm that the theatre was tobe turned into a club.

Bway
Bway on May 21, 2007 at 4:11 am

It sounds like it may become a restaurant/bar or a club.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 5, 2007 at 2:47 pm

Not much hope for rehab based on that picture.

concreteoso
concreteoso on March 19, 2007 at 9:49 pm

ill have some pics soon.

Bway
Bway on March 18, 2007 at 3:59 am

Any photos of the interior before it’s too late?

concreteoso
concreteoso on March 17, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Most of the info on this site is correct, no seats, fixtures, carpet ect. have been removed. All that remains is a few bare walls. Demo is scheduled for April 2007, all that is to remain are the exterior brick walls, including everything from the roof rafters to the floor. (nothing structural) As for the stage, it still seems to be as it was when the theater opened in 1917. Except for the screen, in wich about two thirds of it has been ripped down, leaving the remaing portion hanging with one jagged edge torn from side to side. Numerous tears from what it appears to be objects that were thrown through it, like a big piece of torn paper with holes.

Pine
Pine on February 24, 2007 at 3:17 am

True. I remember only two good movies that had lines around the block, the rest of the time the theater was near empty. I wondered how they made it. It’s all about whether a theater has movies people want to see. Fox didn’t have consistent good movies. I remember some awful off beat type of films. Too many theaters not enough good movies? One of the movies at the Fox was “Easy Rider.” I answered the phone all day long from people wanting to know how to get to Hollywood Blvd, Which exit to take etc. Most of the calls were from the Valley – biker types.

Bway
Bway on February 24, 2007 at 2:38 am

While what you say about Hollywood Blvd is probably true…that’s not the reason all the theaters closed.
It was a national trend. Everyone lost their theaters, even in the best of neighborhoods. Viewing habits changed in the 50’s with the dawn of TV. Today, more modern multiplexes are used. It’s hard to make an old single screen theater profitable. Even duplexing or triplexing is still hard to compete with the multiplexes.

Pine
Pine on February 24, 2007 at 2:16 am

A good read is “Low Down” by A.J. Albany. Her Hollywood childhood and mine were similar. Same neighborhood, same junior high school although she is 11 years younger than me, we had many of the same experiences. Her dad was Joe Albany, famous jazz musician. I remember my dad telling us that he lived at the St. Francis and that he was a heroin addict. My dad who worked as a barber but went to Hollywood to work as a musician had told us that most of the jazz musicians he met were addicts. That is why he preferred being a barber. Once you start this book you will not be able to put it down. We lived near Bronson/Franklin and Van Ness/ Franklin areas. She describes in much detail, these areas as well as all her hangouts that I went to too.

Pine
Pine on February 24, 2007 at 2:09 am

I heard things turned bad in the late 1970’s. I left Hollywood in 1971. During the 1960’s, The Blvd. was safe to park and see movies, back then. I went to the Teen Fair, Hullabaloo and It’s Boss teen nightclubs. They were all safe, no drugs, good security, etc. The worst area was down near Highland at that time. I remember some transvestites and pimps. I guess things got bad to the point that people didn’t feel safe parking, and going back to their cars at night. I read Carol Burnett’s autobiography and she worked at this theater when it was The Iris. I also recently read on the internet that Fred from I love Lucy show lived near Hollywood Blvd, collapsed and died on a sidewalk after seeing a movie, mid 60’s.

Bway
Bway on February 23, 2007 at 12:35 pm

I think this will be great that the building will be renovated, or at least used. Sure, it’s unfortunate that it won’t be a theater anymore….but this is a lot better than conversion into retail….and certainly better than an abandoned building slowly falling apart for two decades.

William
William on February 23, 2007 at 12:05 pm

The answer from the writer Robert Vincent) of the LA Times article was “Uh oh! Thanks for telling me”.

William
William on February 23, 2007 at 9:54 am

The theatre closed 16 years ago in 1991. According to the post above from the Times story it closed in 1977. Time flies when your having fun on Hollywood Blvd.

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 23, 2007 at 9:49 am

That is the most nauseating news I’ve heard all week. I hope Crobar goes out of business soon. If I’d known the theater was that cheap, I would have bought it. Just what Hollywood needs (or the world needs), another trendy nightclub for idiot kids to get wasted at. This trend will pass, and all these “renovated” theaters will sit empty, only by then they will have ruined them irrevocably. Karma, baby – it will come.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on February 23, 2007 at 9:40 am

From Los Angeles Times:

The historic Fox Theater on Hollywood Boulevard, empty for about three decades, has been purchased by the operator of the Crobar nightclub chain for more than $1 million.

Crobar, based in Chicago, plans to spend $5 million restoring and improving the building erected in 1917 before opening in October, said real estate broker Ruby Simpson of Sperry Van Ness. She represented Crobar and the sellers, a family that had owned the property since the 1920s.

Bway
Bway on February 18, 2007 at 9:33 am

Here’s a view of the Fox from the air: