Fox Theatre

6508 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

William
William on May 21, 2007 at 4:18 am

Well manwithnoname posted that info above on Feb. 23 2007 at 12:40pm that the theatre was tobe turned into a club.

Bway
Bway on May 21, 2007 at 4:11 am

It sounds like it may become a restaurant/bar or a club.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 5, 2007 at 2:47 pm

Not much hope for rehab based on that picture.

concreteoso
concreteoso on March 19, 2007 at 9:49 pm

ill have some pics soon.

Bway
Bway on March 18, 2007 at 3:59 am

Any photos of the interior before it’s too late?

concreteoso
concreteoso on March 17, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Most of the info on this site is correct, no seats, fixtures, carpet ect. have been removed. All that remains is a few bare walls. Demo is scheduled for April 2007, all that is to remain are the exterior brick walls, including everything from the roof rafters to the floor. (nothing structural) As for the stage, it still seems to be as it was when the theater opened in 1917. Except for the screen, in wich about two thirds of it has been ripped down, leaving the remaing portion hanging with one jagged edge torn from side to side. Numerous tears from what it appears to be objects that were thrown through it, like a big piece of torn paper with holes.

Pine
Pine on February 24, 2007 at 3:17 am

True. I remember only two good movies that had lines around the block, the rest of the time the theater was near empty. I wondered how they made it. It’s all about whether a theater has movies people want to see. Fox didn’t have consistent good movies. I remember some awful off beat type of films. Too many theaters not enough good movies? One of the movies at the Fox was “Easy Rider.” I answered the phone all day long from people wanting to know how to get to Hollywood Blvd, Which exit to take etc. Most of the calls were from the Valley – biker types.

Bway
Bway on February 24, 2007 at 2:38 am

While what you say about Hollywood Blvd is probably true…that’s not the reason all the theaters closed.
It was a national trend. Everyone lost their theaters, even in the best of neighborhoods. Viewing habits changed in the 50’s with the dawn of TV. Today, more modern multiplexes are used. It’s hard to make an old single screen theater profitable. Even duplexing or triplexing is still hard to compete with the multiplexes.

Bway
Bway on February 23, 2007 at 12:35 pm

I think this will be great that the building will be renovated, or at least used. Sure, it’s unfortunate that it won’t be a theater anymore….but this is a lot better than conversion into retail….and certainly better than an abandoned building slowly falling apart for two decades.

William
William on February 23, 2007 at 12:05 pm

The answer from the writer Robert Vincent) of the LA Times article was “Uh oh! Thanks for telling me”.

William
William on February 23, 2007 at 9:54 am

The theatre closed 16 years ago in 1991. According to the post above from the Times story it closed in 1977. Time flies when your having fun on Hollywood Blvd.

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 23, 2007 at 9:49 am

That is the most nauseating news I’ve heard all week. I hope Crobar goes out of business soon. If I’d known the theater was that cheap, I would have bought it. Just what Hollywood needs (or the world needs), another trendy nightclub for idiot kids to get wasted at. This trend will pass, and all these “renovated” theaters will sit empty, only by then they will have ruined them irrevocably. Karma, baby – it will come.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on February 23, 2007 at 9:40 am

From Los Angeles Times:

The historic Fox Theater on Hollywood Boulevard, empty for about three decades, has been purchased by the operator of the Crobar nightclub chain for more than $1 million.

Crobar, based in Chicago, plans to spend $5 million restoring and improving the building erected in 1917 before opening in October, said real estate broker Ruby Simpson of Sperry Van Ness. She represented Crobar and the sellers, a family that had owned the property since the 1920s.

Bway
Bway on February 18, 2007 at 9:33 am

Here’s a view of the Fox from the air:

Pine
Pine on November 1, 2006 at 2:46 am

I can describe the inside of this theater having worked there. The girl’s dressing room was a large walk in closet – no windows. It was at the top of the stairs on the west side.Our uniforms were kept there. The men’s and women’s bathrooms were upstairs on the north side. The projection room and manager’s office were on the south side. They also had no windows. The theater was small and cozy. Downsairs behind the cashier was the storage room filed with candy, popcorn etc. The doorman’s dresing room I never saw, but I think it was behind the stage? The theater was very comfortable, not too small, not too big and very clean. From the candy counter we had a good view of the street and I enjoyed people watching.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 9, 2006 at 9:42 am

Agreed. I worked at the World in 1966 for a few weeks – was going to LACC and had to have rent and food money, so I worked the late shift. But, I also went there every week to see whatever triple bill was playing. That’s where I saw The Professionals for the first time. Even though the World was a low-rent affair, it was still terrific. Of all the Boulevard theaters, though, I loved going to the Paramount best of all (well, during its heyday) – what a theater and what curtains and what movies I saw there. Plus, it was just a short half-block walk to C.C. Brown’s!

William
William on October 9, 2006 at 8:24 am

That’s one of the main things I miss about going to the movies. I did the same thing, I would catch a show at the Chinese and walk down to the Pacific or one of the others for another film. Or go for the long haul with the triple feature at the World. All these theatres were managed by career managers that gave these theatres their personalities. Not the new corporation management styles of today.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 9, 2006 at 7:47 am

Oops – continuing –

never tire of describing the magic of what it was like to go to the movies in the 50s, 60s, and even 70s, in the pre-multiplex days, when there were hundreds of stand-alone movie theaters in this city.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 9, 2006 at 7:46 am

Exactly. One could spend an entire two or three days just going from movie theater to movie theater, catching all the latest, which is what I frequently used to do. Just start at the Chinese, then to the Paramount, then over to the Hollywood, then to the Egyptian, the Vogue, the Warner Cinerama (then the Pacific’s), the Fox (or Iris), and I’d even do the New View, Admiral, and the Academy in the early 60s. Back then, even the Iris and the Hollywood were nice and comfy theaters. Each theater had its own personality, which is what I loved about the nabes, too. I’ve written about these theaters in my various novels so much that I fear I will write myself out, and yet I never do – I never tire of describing the magic of what it was like togokjkjkjkjkjk

William
William on October 9, 2006 at 7:34 am

You’re right, I remember when all the theatres on Hollywood Blvd. were all open showing movies. If you did not catch the film at the Chinese, Dome, Paramount, Pacific or the Egyptian #1, it all ended up at the World. Those were the days.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 9, 2006 at 7:08 am

The owners should be run out of town on a rail. I’ll tell you something – if they renovated and re-opened these two theaters my guess is that they’d do well as movie theaters – like the El Capitan has. Warners should do that with the Pacific’s – make it their flagship theater. If the Dome can operate as a theater, so can these. Nightclubs – phooey.

William
William on October 9, 2006 at 6:56 am

Richard, The Fox Theatre has been gutted for along time now. And the current owners plan to turn this former theatre into a nightclub, along with the nearby Vogue Theatre. Somewhat in the lines of the ElRey Theatre on Wilshire Blvd..

RichardTerusso
RichardTerusso on October 8, 2006 at 10:46 pm

I am currently looking for any Old Theatres in which to lease or possibly buy in Reseda, Van Nuys, Hollywood or North Hollywood. It has been my Long life Dream to renevate and own my own Theatre/ Venue. Please e-mail me at or call me at 310-597-9398 if youo live here!! Thanks.Rick

P.S. If you also live in the areas in which I am looking and want to help please contact me as well!!

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on September 7, 2006 at 11:08 am

Just got back from Cinecon in Hollywood. It’s STILL standing there dark and empty!

moviebear1
moviebear1 on June 5, 2006 at 6:46 am

Does anyone out there have any high quality pictures of the S. Charles Lee front of the theatre? that would be the late 50’s early 60’s. I’d love to see what the boxoffice looked like as well as clear shots of the marquee.

Matt Spero