Sutton Theater

205 East 57th Street,
New York, NY 10022

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on December 20, 2005 at 9:02 am

This was the most comfortable movie house I remember. The seats were so cozy and with ample leg room. No wonder Woody Allen loved to have his movies premiere here.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 10, 2005 at 5:46 am

Now, its just the site for the construction of yet another ugly mid-town high-rise. I’ve been into Manhattan on a number of occasions over the past few weeks and I pass this site every time I make my way back to the 59th Street Bridge. I remember driving by in years past and happily think back on my experience seeing “Animal Crackers” here back in the ‘70’s warmed by the fact that the theater was still in use – even after accepting the fact that it was twinned back in the late 1980’s. Now, I still think back on “Animal Crackers” when I drive by, but it is with a deep sense of loss and sadness. It is amazing that the City (meaning we the people as well as those we elect to oversee its administration) allows the continuation of these acts of vandalism – to paraphrase Ada Huxtable’s memorable description in the NY Times of old Penn Station’s demolition.

jbels
jbels on November 9, 2005 at 8:19 am

I remember when they first twinned the Sutton, they had a free day of movie previews where you could go in, sit and watch old and new previews and inspect the new set-up.

RobertR
RobertR on October 28, 2005 at 2:11 pm

A very simple ad for “Gigi"

RobertR
RobertR on October 23, 2005 at 6:02 am

Seems 1968 audiences had concerns over ticket prices also.

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on September 2, 2005 at 2:14 pm

To EdSolero: That remark about the “Sexual Keystone Comedy” was strictly tougne-in-cheek!

I do have my own Sutton story: I saw “The 3 Stooges Follies” on opening day at the Sutton. My visit was not a pleasant one in part because of management, the other, a drunk audience member. Throughout the whole show a drunken patron kept laughing and hollering “HA HA HA—THAT MOE HOWARD!!!”, and even ruined the punch line at least once. The second was the “Krazy Kat” cartoon advertised was not on the bill, when I asked why, some apathetic usher said “you can watch those on TV”. I didn’t have the patience to tell him that this was not a 1960’s King Features TV cartoon, but a 1930’s Charles Mintz cartoon. I don’t think I ever went back to the Sutton again.

br91975
br91975 on September 2, 2005 at 4:20 am

The a**clowns at Reading/City Cinemas also still had listed on their website, TWO YEARS after they were demolished and replaced by the NYU Outpatient Cancer Center, the Murray Hill Cinemas as one of their properties.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on September 2, 2005 at 3:55 am

I’m not surprised – they haven’t got a clue what they’re doing – and they don’t care….

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on September 1, 2005 at 2:20 pm

City Cinemas website still has the demolished Sutton Twin listed.

Astyanax
Astyanax on August 26, 2005 at 4:41 pm

If I recall, “Going Places” was a Cinema 5 release and premiered at the Cinema II.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 25, 2005 at 7:01 pm

PaulLD1… The tag line “A sexual Keystonecomedy” belongs to a different advertisement (apparently cut off in the image) that was below the one for “Animal Crackers”. I “yahoo’d” the phrase and found it was a quote from Pauline Kael’s review of the movie “Going Places” — a French film of some controversy that was released here in 1974 concurrent with the Sutton engagement of the restored Marx Brothers classic. It starred Gerard Depardieu, Jeanne Morreau and Isabelle Huppert.

Couldn’t tell you the theaters in which “Going Places” was booked. I can tell you that during this time, my Mother worked for Rugoff Theaters and scored some passes for my Grandfather and I to see “Animal Crackers” during this run.

A couple of years later, I caught “Animal Crackers” on the big screen one last time at Century’s Green Acres Theater on a double bill with the bio-pic “W.C. Fields and Me” starring Rod Steiger and Valerie Perine.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 26, 2005 at 4:04 pm

From 1955: the little low-budget movie based on a TV play that went all the way to the top prize at the Academy Awards. I like the way the Sutton is mentioned in one of the critics' quotes.

From Shaun Considine’s biography of Paddy Chayefsky, “Mad as Hell”:

In New York, the film continued to run for an unprecedented 39 weeks at one theatre only, the Sutton. “That was the first time that people from the suburbs ever went to a movie on the East Side,” said Bernie Kamber. “They’d come in on the subway from Queens or from the Bronx, get off at 59th Street, walk two blocks south, then stand on line for MARTY.”

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on July 25, 2005 at 4:43 am

Re: the “Animal Crackers ad: Wow!!! I never knew that Marx Brothers movie was a "sexual Keystone comedy”!!!!

Astyanax
Astyanax on July 25, 2005 at 3:33 am

Another great ad is the Christmas 1964 NYTimes full page spread that Rugoff ran after the big brouhaha involving Billy Wilder’s Kiss Me Stupid. UA was scheduled to open the farce at Cinema 1 for the holidays but the wags at the time considered it too risque. The distributer got cold feet and pulled the film at the last minute. Rugoff than rushed Nothing But A Man into release, to fill in the gap.

As a clever PR move, Rugoff ran this full page ad with drawings of quaint Victorian holiday figures, each displaying the presentation at each of the circuit’s ten Manhattan theatres.

Kiss Me Stupid finally premiered in Jan. ‘65, and despite all the fuss is now rated PG13.

Does anyone have a copy of that ad?

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 25, 2005 at 2:27 am

Rober R – That’s a great ad!

RobertR
RobertR on July 24, 2005 at 4:05 pm

“Thats Entertainment” started a revival craze and I remember this release of “Animal Crackers” did such huge business at the Sutton, it opened on a neighborhood run also. Check out the Suttons great marquee in the ad.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 20, 2005 at 8:46 am

The Sutton was one of my favorite theatres. The audience always seemed to be filled with well informed fellow film lovers which made the experience even more enjoyable. Among the many films I saw there included are: The Sting, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Joe Hill, The Immigrants, The New Land, Young Frankenstein, Blazzing Saddles, Silent Movie, A Countess From Hong Kong, Dealing, The Group, Animal Crackers, Raging Bull, Don’t Look Now, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Morgan and Little Big Man.

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 13, 2005 at 6:29 am

saw Roeg’s ‘Don’t Look Now’ here.

RobertR
RobertR on July 4, 2005 at 10:48 am

The Burtons day and dated the Sutton and Trans-Lux West.

RobertR
RobertR on July 4, 2005 at 6:52 am

Here is the Sutton day and dating with the Criterion

frankie
frankie on June 27, 2005 at 9:34 am

I too didn’t know that the Sutton had closed. Thank God I went to see “Broadway: The Golden Age” when it played there recently. One of my happiest memories was rushing with friends to the Sutton to see “Ed Wood.” All the movie buffs were there, so we had to wait till the later show. All the true believers enjoyed it together. Then it opened wide and bombed ! What do they know ? Thank you, Martin Landau ! frankie from Brooklyn

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on April 13, 2005 at 9:27 am

Yup that’s it – The Gotham Cinema was owned by Crown Theatres, previously owned by Trans-Lux.

bazookadave
bazookadave on April 13, 2005 at 8:55 am

Check out the listing for the Crown Gotham…isn’t that the Gotham Cinema that was around the corner from the Sutton?

bazookadave
bazookadave on April 12, 2005 at 3:50 pm

THE GOTHAM!!!! HOLY CRIPES, yes that was definitely it. I remember waiting outside to see Towering Inferno. I know I saw something there in the 80s but I forgot what. Thanks for jogging my memory!
Dave B