Egyptian Theatre

6712 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on August 8, 2009 at 7:15 pm

A view of the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.

UnknownCinemaDude
UnknownCinemaDude on June 13, 2009 at 8:40 pm

here is a real close up to the egytian sign for the cinema

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Here is an April 1970 ad from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 7, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Here is a 1926 ad from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 31, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I suppose, if you were prescient enough to know about the series. Otherwise it might come and go, and you would miss Earthquake, one of my favorites.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 31, 2008 at 1:05 pm

It’s disaster movie week at the Egyptian! Friday night is Poseidon Adventure, the original. Saturday is Earthquake in Sensurround. The rest of the films are Towering Inferno, China Syndrome, Black Sunday and Hindenburg. Go on the American Cinematheque site for more info and tickets.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 18, 2008 at 6:55 pm

The Egyptian’s marquee can be seen on the left in this 1955 photo from the LAPL:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 7, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Hollywood Boulevard, December 2008:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 7, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Here is a photo of the marquee taken last night. Bonus photo is the creepy Scientology Christmas party next door.

MPol
MPol on October 16, 2008 at 8:58 pm

I love the postcard photo of the entrance to the Egyptian Theatre. How cool!!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 12, 2008 at 12:32 am

Here is a 1928 photo from the USC archive:

RobertR
RobertR on August 22, 2008 at 8:31 am

Spirit of St. Louis premiere

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 11, 2008 at 6:34 am

Cliff the Beauty of the Egyptian was destroyed during the latest renovation. It was quite a shock to see “Gilda” in the current state of this theatre. I saw many films here through the years and was even a flagship house for lazy United Artists during the roadshow years and later. Sound and picture are superb but it was awesome during the roadshow years. Remember “Ben Hur” played here for two years.brucec

Cliffs
Cliffs on August 11, 2008 at 1:32 am

I’ve been waiting for what seems like forever to find a movie to get me over to the Egyptian (sorry, but the homosexual cinema of the Ukraine isn’t exactly in my demographic). Got to go to the premiere of The Clone Wars today and after all of the doom and gloom in this thread I was fearing the worst. Much to my great surprise, I really enjoyed the theater. No, it doesn’t have the opulence or grandeur of the Chinese, El Capitan, or even the Cinerama Dome, but I found it to be quite a bit better than just a typical “screening room.” Now I certainly understand the complaints of this theater not being restored to match its original design and that’s something I can’t argue with. It’s going to come down to personal preference… the pre-show presentation versus the feature presentation. As for screen size, I would say the screen is comparable to the screen at the Village. I found it quite large and certainly more so than the average multiplex. Does it match the size of the theater’s former incarnation? Probably not, but it’s certainly larger than the screen at the El Capitan. I also found the sight-lines in the theater to be excellent. It’s kind of half traditional/half stadium, with another half devoted to the balcony (yup, three-halfs). I would actually say that the screen is bit TOO high (although it ensures unobstructed views for everyone).

I think that in our passion and appreciation for these theaters, we sometimes forget that the films are supposed to be the reason we’re there in the first place. While I can appreciate and mourn the loss of what this theater might have once been, I have a deeper appreciation for what this theater currently represents. After the loss of The National, this hits home especially hard. This is a state of the art facility that has reminders of its history everywhere you look. It’s a wonderful place to see great films in a town that has more than its fair share. Go just about anywhere else in the country and see if you can find something as good as The Egyptian, even in its current form. I will certainly have no hesitation visiting this theater again and again (including next week during the double feature of Alien and Aliens).

Clearlight
Clearlight on July 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Here is a marquee shot from this past Friday night

GaryParks
GaryParks on June 13, 2008 at 10:55 pm

It should be noted that in ken mc’s 2005 post linking to photos of the Egyptian, there are three which are of other theaters. There is one exterior shot of the Egyptian in Long Beach, and the last photo is of its interior. There is one other interior shot of some other Egyptian (maybe Pasadena?) also. The corbelled proscenium and sunburst ceiling grille of Grauman’s were imitated many, many times in subsequent Egyptian style movie palaces. The sunburst grille even appears on a small scale in Oakland’s Parkway Theatre, still extant and running movies.

GaryParks
GaryParks on June 13, 2008 at 10:45 pm

The painted scene on the wall behind the usherettes in the photo linked to the previous post was restored and can still be enjoyed today. It is on the left wall of the courtyard just before the pillared portico. What is interesting about it is that this is the only scene in the whole building which was completely copied from an actual piece of Pharaonic art, although with some artistic license. The original piece is considerably smaller, and is carved on a slab of stone. It was done during the reign of Pharaoh Thutmose III in the 18th Dynasty—he was an ancestor of Tutankhamun—and depicts Thutmose twice in the company of the gods Horus and Set. The heiroglyphs are all legible to those who can read such things and include, in cartouches, the name Thutmose, and the name Menkheperra, the latter a ceremonial name given to him on his accession to the throne. It is the name which has the scarab in it. Other heiroglyphs include the common titles “Lord of the Two Lands,” “Ruler of Upper and Lower Egypt,” “Living eternally,” etc.