Boro Park Theatre

5102 New Utrecht Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11219

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on May 14, 2004 at 3:30 pm

Thank you, Warren. I will try that, and, if it works, will re-post my links.

Yesterday I quickly browsed through what I believed to be the appropriate el station images, and found no certain images of either the Boro Park or Benson theaters. There is a building in one image that was brought to my attention that could either be a theater or a bank. If I come across it, I will post a link to it and let the Cinema Treasures gang of experts have at it.

I have “re-armed” myself with my “master list” of Bklyn and Queens theaters from Cinematour, and it says that the Boro Park Theater was demolished. The opening blurb on this page says it was torn down after it closed in the ‘70’s, and mentions “the el station”, which would be 50th Street on the West End elevated line.

This elevated line “starred” in the 1971 film “The French Connection”.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 14, 2004 at 3:21 pm

Loew’s 46th Street has a listing here under its original name of Universal Theatre.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on May 13, 2004 at 8:25 pm

I cannot find Loew’s 46th Street Theater on this site, even though I suspect it is here. So I will post links to three images that show Loew’s 46th Street Theater, located at 46th Street and New Utrecht Avenue, in this comment on the Boro Park Theater :

In all three images the 46th Street Theater is clearly visible above the train, near the vanishing point. In at least one image the name is visible in large white letters on the building.

RobertR
RobertR on May 7, 2004 at 5:18 pm

Love that movie Liz, Dick and Noel Coward on the isle of Capri.

Orlando
Orlando on May 7, 2004 at 5:05 pm

Loew’s gave up the theatre in 1966/7, the same time it gave the 46th Street to Brandt’s for a short while. I remember being bused to Shallow J.H.S. 1967-70 and passing the 46th Street and Boro Park along New Utrecht Ave. This was after Loew’s was out of the picture. I remember “Boom!” on the marquee with Elizabeth Taylor on the Boro Park marquee.

ERD
ERD on April 30, 2004 at 7:17 pm

The Dyker was the nearest RKO theatre to Loew’s Boro Park on the West side section of Brooklyn.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 30, 2004 at 5:28 pm

What was the nearest RKO theatre to Loew’s Boro Park? I’m guessing the Dyker, but could be wrong.

ERD
ERD on April 30, 2004 at 4:59 pm

Clarification was needed. Because of the anti-trust law, The Boro Park Theatre was “upgraded” in the late 1940’s. The neighborhood was always as proud of the Boro Park theatre as Loew’s 46th Street.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 30, 2004 at 4:23 pm

The RKO “arrangement” came circa 1949-50, when clearances changed as a result of the Federal anti-trust action against the major companies that owned both studios and theatres. Prior to that, Loew’s Boro Park played split weeks of double features that had already played at Loew’s 46th Street and the nearest RKO that was first-run for that area. On July 29, 1943, for example, the Boro Park was showing “Action in the North Atlantic” and “Prairie Chickens,” which had played a week earlier at RKO’s first-run Brooklyn theatres. For the second half of the week, the Boro Park ran “The Human Comedy” and “She Has What It Takes,” which previously played at Loew’s 46th Street.

ERD
ERD on April 30, 2004 at 1:40 am

Loew’s had an arrangement with the RKO chain. The Boro Park showed the same films playing at RKO theatres. The Boro Park was never downgraded. This is coming from a primary source since this was one of my neighborhood theatres that I regularly attended from the 1940’s until its closing. It is my opinion that the theatre was equal to Loew’s 46th Street in looks. It was built in a differentr style- and so it becomes a matter of taste.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 29, 2004 at 8:41 pm

Loew’s acquisition of the Boro Park was its entry into the area. When Loew’s later took over the Universal Theatre (and re-named it the 46th Street), it downgraded the Boro Park to playing subsequent-run movies.

ERD
ERD on April 29, 2004 at 7:10 pm

Located on 52nd Street & New Utrecht avenue is an old building (now used as a catering hall) that, elder citzens of the area told me many years ago, was once the “first” Boro Park theatre. It was built sometime after the turn of the century.

ERD
ERD on January 27, 2004 at 1:58 am

The handsome Boro Park Theatre was a originally a B.F.Keith theatre before Loew’s bought it. It was built just before or after W.W.I A picture of the facade can be seen in “When Brooklyn Was The World” by Elliot Willensky. Its interior was neo-classic. There were marble box seats on each side of the proscenium with a big lantern type chandlier above them. The auditorium had a dome ceiling and a balcony. The Acoustics & sightlines were excellent. Continous movies were shown after sound films, but there were occasional stage shows.
When the theatre was privately bought in the 1960’s, it began presenting live Yiddish musicals-besides movies. A big dispute arose
with the religous sector, who wanted the theatre closed on their
Sabbath. In retaliation, the owner began to exclusively show “X”
rated films. The theatre shortly closed and was torn down.

BPR1957
BPR1957 on December 29, 2003 at 3:58 pm

I saw a “hard days night” in the BORO PARK in the mid sixites. It was a nice Theater but it palled in comparision to the Lowes on 46 street and New Utrect ave. The Lowes had a wnding mable staircase leading to the rest rooms and the balcony. The lower part of the theater had beautiful woodworking and sculptures ,a huge ceiling and, a thick red curtain that would part when the movie was about to begin. It is now sadly a furniture wharehouse.

William
William on November 18, 2003 at 12:54 am

The old Loew’s Boro Park Theatre was located at 51st Street and New trecht Ave. and it seated 2346 people.