Whitman Theatre

160 Walt Whitman Road,
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Bloop
Bloop on June 8, 2007 at 11:15 pm

The most mentioned movies on this site are: 1)The Sound of Music.2)Jaws.3)The Godfather. 4)the first three Sean Connery/ James Bond movies. 5)Star Wars (THE MOST MENTIONED MOVIE ON THIS SITE —and the first two sequels too). 6) the 1974 re-release of Gone With The Wind. 7)E.T. ****************************************
These hits do not get mentioned as much as they should (Block-buster-wise): Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Willard (incredible as it seems now,this was the most talked about movie in town at the time!),The Exorcist (gets mentioned once in a while), American Graffiti (never gets mentioned!),Airport(the original) and the BIGGEST movie of 1970, Love Story.

RonMotta
RonMotta on June 5, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Bloop, the Commack Drive-In, I’m assuming, is “folded in” with the RKO Commack Twin page, since it was part of that theater. If you want, make a seperate page for it. You seem to have a lot of info on it. I remember the Long Island Arena and Flea Market on that site, too…

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on May 23, 2007 at 12:02 am

tHE YORK THEATER WAS IN THE BIG H CENTER ALSO RAN THESE TYPE OF FILMS FOR A WHILE …

Bloop
Bloop on May 22, 2007 at 10:38 pm

I believe at one point, the Whitman was a “blind bid” theater. I remember in 1978 through 1980 or so (I was in high school), they showed super low budget 42nd Street type movies like “H.O.T.S.” “The Children”, “Screams of a Winter’s Night” (which Quentin Terantino showed at a festival in Los Angeles recently!)and obscure Joan Collins movies like “The Bitch”, “The Stud”—real garbage. These were really crappy movies that would not show anywhere else on Long Island. (But I went to see them anyway!). By 1980 or 1981 I saw “Dressed to Kill” there, and it was business as usual. I think the Big “H” Shopping center in Huntington Station was run by the same company? On another note: Long Island people: how come no mention of the Happauge Theatre? OR Commack Drive-In on here ??

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 10, 2006 at 10:27 pm

have you heard anything about greenacres?

RobertR
RobertR on October 10, 2006 at 12:15 am

Your right and it’s days are numbered too :(

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 9, 2006 at 10:52 pm

cool fact out of all the theaters in that ad in NY only GREENACRES is still open!

dude
dude on August 14, 2005 at 1:21 pm

Back in the early ‘60s, c. 1964, we went to church at the Whitman. I’ll never forget those huge tragedy/comedy masks on the walls. The masks and the mass combined to scar me for life ;–).

RobertR
RobertR on July 8, 2005 at 11:10 pm

Here is a fun summer double bill

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on May 2, 2005 at 4:18 am

the theater stayed open for years because they were trying to get permits for a 10 plex.Century had a 100 year lease on this theater that they gave up when the town would not grant permits.

mascan42
mascan42 on April 11, 2005 at 6:38 am

Having worked in the area in the last few years that this theater was operating, I think I know why it closed … it looked like garbage. The awful marquee sign by the roadside was literally falling apart toward the end. And the theater itself was very run-down. I was surprised that it survived the mall renovation in 2000.

riboflavin
riboflavin on January 16, 2005 at 9:05 pm

longislandmovies, we may very well know each other. I worked @whitman from may ‘82 to may '84. I knew some people at Shore and York.

riboflavin
riboflavin on January 14, 2005 at 5:38 am

longislandmovies, at one point I did work for Mrs. Burns, but I spent most of my time at the Whitman working for Bruce Johnson and Jim Ward was the Division Mgr.

Let me guess, YOU’RE TIMMY REDFIELD?

after 2 weeks @ Whitman, DMDWP moved to the York to make room for ET.

RobertR
RobertR on December 14, 2004 at 2:51 pm

There were none in the Bronx either right?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 14, 2004 at 2:18 pm

Funny i never heard talk of a Manhattan location.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on December 14, 2004 at 4:32 am

According to the 1999 Loews directory, the correct address is 290-4 Walt Whitman Mall, Huntington Station NY 11746 – 1 screen – 770 seats – with a mono sound system – highest ticket at the time was $7.25 – Manager was J.P.

RobertR
RobertR on December 14, 2004 at 3:37 am

longislandmovies

Did the original Centurys company before the merger ever think of trying a Manhattan location?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 14, 2004 at 3:29 am

You worked for mrs BURns?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 14, 2004 at 3:28 am

Riboflavin i must no you …… I thought dead men played at the york .could have been a moveover..

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 14, 2004 at 3:26 am

Et played here for a year i will see if i can find more info

riboflavin
riboflavin on December 13, 2004 at 10:55 pm

I have to a correction to the 56 week comment. It was, in fact, only 23 weeks.

I started work as an usher at the Whitman on May 14, 1982. “Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid” premiered that night and ran for 2 weeks, to be replaced by “E.T.” on May 28th.

It ran for 23 weeks, and was replaced by “The Missionary” (starring Michael Palin on November 5th.

I set up the Marquee for E.T.’s last day – It read “E.T. IS GOING HOME”

I used to have a list of all the movies that played there while worked there, but it’s among the missing now. I never would have thought that sometime in the future there would be websites to distribute such trivia.

And yes, I also confirm the seat count at 778.

Orlando
Orlando on September 29, 2004 at 7:41 pm

P.S. The seating for the Whitman was 778, sorry about the error. This count is from the original Century Directory (1980) which was the last one done when ALMI took over Century. This directory also has the seating for all the ALMI (former UA houses) and the already twinned or triplexed Century Theatres.

Orlando
Orlando on September 29, 2004 at 7:35 pm

The Morton Village didn’t have comedy / tragedy masks but some other type of steel art work as the Whitman had. I worked both houses and can remember them, but their descriptions escape me. The opening movie at the Whitman was the first James Bond movie, “DR. NO” and the proceeds went to a local charity as was the habit of all Century openings.

RobertR
RobertR on September 29, 2004 at 6:51 pm

I remember the comedy and tragedy masks in the Glen Oaks.