Whitman Theatre

160 Walt Whitman Road,
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 11:19 am

Another GREAT Whitman double bill from 1973, that I was dropped off at by my parents (thank you, Mom & Dad!). Even though I missed out on the day my brother & his friends got to go see “The Neptune Factor” at the Whitman that same year, (LOL!), I got to see this:

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 11:13 am

Another ODD but fun Whitman double bill!:

Bloop on June 28, 2007 at 11:10 am

I was from East Northport—graduated from Northport High in 1980. I have no clue why I took a job in Huntington (with no car!). I hated Pergaments, but I loved working in that area; especially with Korvettes, Cooky’s Steak Pub and the Whitman theater , which actually seemed “very 1960’s” in the 70’s! The Walt Whitman mall was very cool back then (it SUCKS NOW as it’s geared towards affluent women with nothing to do but shop all day and carry around those little glittery gift bags with colored tissue paper wafting out of the tops. Also, the SPEED BUMPS they put in are MURDER if you have a small older car that’s not a Hummer). So it goes; money rules—and who would have thought the “future” would have turned out like this? I’m glad I was born in such a uniqiue and un-calculated era as the 1960’s/1970’s.

longislandmovies on June 25, 2007 at 5:21 pm

Hart bus ..oh my god…. took that as a kid all the time…bloop were did you go to high school……

Bloop on June 25, 2007 at 5:19 pm

Attention Souvenir Hunters: the Whitman Theater sign is STILL STANDING in front of Citi Bank on Route 110 (as of today: June 25th, 2007). If this was an important theater to you, go steal a piece of the sign if it’s possible. You’ll need a small step ladder to reach it. If the cops stop you, what are they gonna say? “You’re vandalizing property that has been vacant for YEARS”.

Bloop on June 22, 2007 at 10:26 am

CLICK ^^^^The Whitman “Grind House” Ad ABOVE:^^^^^^^^
I worked at Pergaments in high school, and the H.A.R.T. bus stop was in front of The Whitman so I remember lots of movies playing there.

longislandmovies on June 22, 2007 at 10:19 am

wow thats a bad booking………..

Bloop on June 22, 2007 at 9:41 am

AD FROM 1979 when the Whitman, for a few years, was a friggin' “grind house”. Does anyone else remember this?! I saw this double bill, and never laughed so much in a movie theater in my life (in that Plan 9 “so-bad-that-it’s-funny” way). Yeah, this will never happen again…http://bp1.blogger.com/_qleC7xLAvHg/Rnv60oYyNcI/AAAAAAAAAIE/GePm_p4SZnc/s1600-h/WHITMAnTheatre-AA.jpg

Bloop on June 8, 2007 at 3:25 pm

The York and the Whitman seemed to be “brothers”. The York was a little more “grungy”. I saw “Young Frankenstein” there. After the Whitman theater, McCrory’s and Cookies Steak Pub closed there was NO REASON to go to that mall anymore. Have you been there lately…it’s horrible! I think that was Long Island’s first indoor mall (1964).

Bloop on June 8, 2007 at 3:15 pm

The most mentioned movies on this site are: 1)The Sound of Music.2)Jaws.3)The Godfather. 4)the first three Sean Connery/ James Bond movies. 5)Star Wars (THE MOST MENTIONED MOVIE ON THIS SITE —and the first two sequels too). 6) the 1974 re-release of Gone With The Wind. 7)E.T. ****************************************
These hits do not get mentioned as much as they should (Block-buster-wise): Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Willard (incredible as it seems now,this was the most talked about movie in town at the time!),The Exorcist (gets mentioned once in a while), American Graffiti (never gets mentioned!),Airport(the original) and the BIGGEST movie of 1970, Love Story.

RonMotta on June 5, 2007 at 6:02 am

Bloop, the Commack Drive-In, I’m assuming, is “folded in” with the RKO Commack Twin page, since it was part of that theater. If you want, make a seperate page for it. You seem to have a lot of info on it. I remember the Long Island Arena and Flea Market on that site, too…

longislandmovies on May 22, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Bloop on May 22, 2007 at 2:38 pm

I believe at one point, the Whitman was a “blind bid” theater. I remember in 1978 through 1980 or so (I was in high school), they showed super low budget 42nd Street type movies like “H.O.T.S.” “The Children”, “Screams of a Winter’s Night” (which Quentin Terantino showed at a festival in Los Angeles recently!)and obscure Joan Collins movies like “The Bitch”, “The Stud”—real garbage. These were really crappy movies that would not show anywhere else on Long Island. (But I went to see them anyway!). By 1980 or 1981 I saw “Dressed to Kill” there, and it was business as usual. I think the Big “H” Shopping center in Huntington Station was run by the same company? On another note: Long Island people: how come no mention of the Happauge Theatre? OR Commack Drive-In on here ??

longislandmovies on October 10, 2006 at 2:27 pm

have you heard anything about greenacres?

RobertR on October 9, 2006 at 4:15 pm

Your right and it’s days are numbered too :(

longislandmovies on October 9, 2006 at 2:52 pm

cool fact out of all the theaters in that ad in NY only GREENACRES is still open!

dude on August 14, 2005 at 5:21 am

Back in the early ‘60s, c. 1964, we went to church at the Whitman. I’ll never forget those huge tragedy/comedy masks on the walls. The masks and the mass combined to scar me for life ;–).

RobertR on July 8, 2005 at 3:10 pm

Here is a fun summer double bill

longislandmovies on May 1, 2005 at 8:18 pm

the theater stayed open for years because they were trying to get permits for a 10 plex.Century had a 100 year lease on this theater that they gave up when the town would not grant permits.

mascan42 on April 10, 2005 at 10:38 pm

Having worked in the area in the last few years that this theater was operating, I think I know why it closed … it looked like garbage. The awful marquee sign by the roadside was literally falling apart toward the end. And the theater itself was very run-down. I was surprised that it survived the mall renovation in 2000.

riboflavin on January 16, 2005 at 1:05 pm

longislandmovies, we may very well know each other. I worked @whitman from may ‘82 to may '84. I knew some people at Shore and York.

riboflavin on January 13, 2005 at 9:38 pm

longislandmovies, at one point I did work for Mrs. Burns, but I spent most of my time at the Whitman working for Bruce Johnson and Jim Ward was the Division Mgr.

after 2 weeks @ Whitman, DMDWP moved to the York to make room for ET.

RobertR on December 14, 2004 at 6:51 am

There were none in the Bronx either right?